Lifting like girls

Shoulders today for me. 10 sets of strict press, then I did some stuff inspired by Athlean X, the first rotation was stranding press/ upright row/ shrug ( kinda like a standing rear delt fly) alternated with figure 8s ( dumbbell out in front). I did 3 sets of these with no real rest, x12 x10 x8. You do 12 standing presses, 12 upright rows,and 12 shrug flys, then 12 fig 8s and repeat. I used 35s and was reduced to lifeless protoplasm!! The fig 8s are just a single dumbbell. I finished off delts with 1x20 side laterals and 1x20 rear delt flys. As a finish I did 6 minutes of planks...I was WET!!! I seem to be the only dentist at the prison at this time, we are waiting for the new person. No one was there last week so geeze, it has been hectic! I work today, then I'm off until the 19th, so I hope the new one gets here soon! They need 56 hours per week and I only signed up for 16. I feel bad that I will be gone, wish I could help them out but this trip has been planned and I don't think my wife is comfortable carrying the baby down the steps yet with the new knee. Fam first!! Justine, I was worried about you...glad the Bobbies didn't cart you away! Do it Commandos!!

Ok, who's kissing who's biceps?

Karen, Lib, it is I who shalt be kissing her biceps. They just look so damn adorable when I do a curl. Only joking of course, as it was said while I was channeling Greg's self-esteem. :) As far as the skinny dipping, that is DEFINITELY not me. Oooh, that would be a scary sight!

Justine, we've missed you! Hope your trip is going well. What kinds of trouble have you gotten into? :)

Tom, what is Athlean X? I've Googled it and I still can't figure it out! Holy heck, you and your shoulder workouts. You'd have to be the bionic man to not be soaking wet after today's iron session. You're totally right, family first. Hopefully that dentist gets there quick to give you some backup. 56 hours is way too much for one dentist to handle, Commando or not!

Karen, I picture you sweating buckets and cursing at the TV. Did I get that just about right?

Lib, hope you're feeling more comfy in your house today. A/C is a must in the summertime! Um, yeah, maybe time to move on to greener pastures and skip the skinny dipping.

Yesterday I did chest and triceps. I did my own thing but in all honesty I really just ripped off Gym Styles. Today was Cardio Boxing w/Stability Ball Abs Live (10/2/14). I think I've done this one a few times but every time I start it I think "Oh, I've never done this one before and Amanda is there in the class!"

Good day, friends! Hi Roz! Miss you!

I have been struggling with my clothes. That I have is too small still or too big. So decid d to go to town.
Got dressed, and found out my black dress pants are loose!!! I really thought they would be to small! Yay

Found a skirt and nice top for my date this weekend. Tried on one and while it fit, didn't care for the clinging around my stomach. Was disappointed.....until I took it off and realized I grabbed a medium!!! I fit into a medium!! Extra large was snug just a couple of months ago!! So major happy dance.
Bought a purse to celebrate.

Was going to hit the mall and see what JC Penny has on clearance (with dropping sizes clearance rocks more than normal!) I was at a stop light and was rear ended. Ugh! It's okay, he was stopped, and reached to pick something up, and his foot slipped off the brake pedal. My mechanic said there was no damage (bumper pad was easily put back into place). Thankfully.

Came home, and mowed the yard. Then did Xtrain bi's and tri's and core one.
So the book says burn sets premix two is core 2, but the disc is core 1?? I prefer core one anyway, so did it.

Rain again = WET basement..again, but because it wasn't leg day, I persevered!! Today I did a 2 dumbell w/o, using only 45s. I started with skullcrushers x12/ dumbbell curls x 8. I did 6 superset of these. Next, since pullover always get my tris, I did pullover x 12/ hammer curls x8, 4 sets. I finished with close grip dumbell bench x21/ conc curls x11, 1 set. I feel I should go at least 5 -10# heavier on skullcrushers than curls but didn't want to get my feet wet because it really makes my floor slippery. Tuesday, despite being the day after back day, I hit the prison pull up station and was able to do 15 neutral pull ups with NO tendonitis issue at all...really pumped about that!! Lisa, Athlean X has a lot of YouTube stuff. This was a part of his complete shoulder w/o in just a few minutes, something like 137 reps. He has a lot of other workouts too, seems to be somewhat sensible! Lib, don't you love when your hard labor bears fruit! Karen, would I learn any new words listening to one of your hoco w/os?? Justine, Roz, what up with y all??? Getting ready to head out with grandkids in tow...gotta drive safe, but listening to their dvds will be rough!! Have a great one ladies!!

This is going to be quick. I have a meeting in 15 minutes. Yesterday was Mark DeGrasse Bodyweight workout. This morning was Mark Lauren Bodyweight workout 2. Tonight I'm doing Lean Legs and Abs. More later. Have a great day!
But I do have to add: Mark DeGrasse is new to me. Has a great program. Will be doing more. Evidently your name has to be Mark, for a bodyweight program. So, I won't attempt to produce any.

Oh, Tom. There are days when I could possibly make a sailor blush! I know that's hard to believe. The impression I give, is that of a princess. LOL! Not! I do behave myself, most of the time.

Last edited:
Hi all! I was going to post last night, but got caught up watching Wimbledon- Murray vs tsonga. A fab match. Wish I was there (I normally go for a few days).

Anyway.....more about my hotel gym. It was an awesome gym. About 40 cardio machines, which, of course, I walked straight past. Lots of wierd looking machines, which I was too embarassed to try (I'd have ended up doing chest on a calf machine or something). BUT, there were loads of barbells and dumbells and racks and stuff. So I joined the boys and did my workout. Yes, I wore belt, lifting straps and silly leggings. I did my high rep deadlifts at 100kg (I think I was just showing off), and I squatted in the smith machine (weird). I also tried out the leg press - loved that. And I was pathetic at benching. I did a lot of people watching, too!

Anyway, my main news from the weekend is that seeing my sister again was bitter-sweet. She was way too thin- she suffered with anorexia as a teenager, and now, in her early 40s looks I'll again. So sad. Keep fit and healthy you guys.

Lib, skinny dipping should be spontaneous. Suggesting it is a bit creepy! Hope the next date is fun. Brilliant news about the clothes fitting. Medium is great. Your hard work has paid off.

Tom, that delt workout sounds painful. I'm going to look up athleneX. And I don't blame you about not filling in (pun intended) for the hours at the prison. Family is certainly more important. It's difficult to say no sometimes, though.

Karen, interested to hear about the 'other' Mark. I'm missing bodyweight stuff, and all the 'functional' movements you get with it. I've no time to add any though.

Lisa, I can't curl without thinking about kissing my biceps now! Good work on the homemade gym styles.

Roz......you ok? Miss you!

Ok, more lazy tennis watching tonight for me....

Karen, I've got to say that it's got me into the best shape ever. It's time consuming (both meal prep wise and the workouts), but I'm loving it.
Roz put me onto them, and I'm forever grateful to her.
I've got the diet templates for cutting and massing, and the female physique workout templates.
The idea is you cut for 12 weeks, and then either mass or maintain. You can do another cut after maintaining. After a mass, you must maintain.
I'm currently maintaining, and will do another cut starting in 10 days. I'm then planning on a mass.
The physique templates are high-volume body building for women. You get to chose your exercises for a selection. You then rate each workout, exercise by exercise, and future workouts are adjusted to make sure you're working around your maximal recoverable volume. (They're in an excel spreadsheet.)

Let me know if you decide to go for it x

Getting ready to head out with grandkids in tow...gotta drive safe, but listening to their dvds will be rough!! Have a great one ladies!!

Tom, thanks for the Athlean X info. I will check it out!!! I feel your pain about car rides and kids' music. I have Baby Einstein and Disney Princess CDs on auto play in my car.

Karen, I don't buy for one minute that you behave like a lady most of the time, if ever! Ha! You are way too bad ass for that. LOL on needing the name Mark for bodyweight programs. Good observation. Have fun with LL&A. I really love that one.

Lib, enjoy your shopping! You've earned it, girl! Sorry about the car collision. I'm glad you are safe and that your car was okay. Also good news that the driver at fault was not a hit and run kind of person. Glad he/she owned up to the mistake.

Justine, welcome back! I like how you casually mentioned that you usually go to Wimbledon for a few days. NBD. Who doesn't do that? :) The hotel gym sounds awesome. I'm sure you put most of the dudes to shame. I hope you wore your fanciest leggings, and hopefully you'd found time to bedazzle your lifting belt beforehand. So sorry about your sister. Disordered eating runs in my family as well. It's hard to see those we love suffering. (((HUGS))) Major congrats to you on your healthy lifestyle and the results you're getting. A selfie is in order!!!

More homemade routines for me, kinda. Back and biceps today...with LOTS of biceps kissing, Justine. It was another GS rip-off. Also did KCM's 30 Mins to Fitness Plyometrics. CANNOT wait to do the latest Cathe Live leg workout. I will be visiting that next week.

Lisa, loving the music in your car! I can still hum along to professor yaffle's multiplication tables......
Did popping along to Wimbledon sound arrogant? Lol. When we lived in London, we were 5 minutes away. In fact my daughter went to Wimbledon school, whose sports ground was the original tennis club! We let our house out to players some years, and went on a very nice holiday with the proceeds! We're club members, so it doesn't seem as glamorous as it sounds! Anyway, my daughter had our tickets this year, and took a friend (basically impressed her boyfriend), so we've been watching it on the telly.

As for my sister and her eating disorder, the thing that really scares me is that she has 4 and 6 year old girls, and I just hope that she's ok for their sakes. I'm glad she's back over here with family now. Her husband is a very level headed Canadian (are they all that serious?), so hopefully it'll all be ok.

An easier day for me today- upper body, not too many compound moves. And I needed the break.

Hope everybody is doing well xx

Went to the .hotel gym this morning and I need to stay where Justine stays!! They had a rack of dumbbells clear up to 15#. Wow, what's the point?? They did have some kind of stack machine with a pull up station, so I did some chins, pushups, and some really long sets of curls and kickbacks. It was better than the previous night which only had cardio stuff and that really pisses me off!! My grandkids ran a little on the treadmill so not a complete loss! I think while here I will get a guest pass at a 24 hour fitness place my son uses...but he lifts at nite, not really my style but may have to give nite lifting a try! Driving 1250 miles is a " trip" with grandkids!! I survived, but missed music although my wife did give me a break from kids movies when she thought I was getting sleepy...some form of self preservation I guess lol!! Onward Commandos!!!

I hear ya, Tom. I was very impressed with Justine's hotel gym. I'm more familiar with your hotel gym. My sister let me use her copy of Mindy Mylrea's fluid strength. Excellent DVD. Mindy is famous for using "toys" in her programs. It is all body weight. With a bosu, stability ball, playground ball, gliding discs. I loved it. Highly recommend if anyone is interested.

Went to the .hotel gym this morning and I need to stay where Justine stays!! They had a rack of dumbbells clear up to 15#. Wow, what's the point?? They did have some kind of stack machine with a pull up station, so I did some chins, pushups, and some really long sets of curls and kickbacks. It was better than the previous night which only had cardio stuff and that really pisses me off!! My grandkids ran a little on the treadmill so not a complete loss! I think while here I will get a guest pass at a 24 hour fitness place my son uses...but he lifts at nite, not really my style but may have to give nite lifting a try! Driving 1250 miles is a " trip" with grandkids!! I survived, but missed music although my wife did give me a break from kids movies when she thought I was getting sleepy...some form of self preservation I guess lol!! Onward Commandos!!!

I haven't "tripped" with kids, since mine were small. I remember the potty breaks every 15 minutes. The I'm hungry every hour, and their snacks all over the back of the Land Cruiser. By the time we got to our destination (which was usually the beach) we were too tired to move. But, the fun was just beginning. We had to chase them up and down the beach making sure they didn't drown themselves. Did someone say vacation?

Since we're all talking about life with kids... my DH is currently trying (emphasis on *trying*) to fold some laundry while watching both of our DDs so that I can use the computer. At the risk of sounding evil, I'm really really enjoying how difficult the experience is going for him. Ahem, welcome to my world. :)

Lib, have a nice vacation!

Tom, your hotel gym needs to be redesigned by an Ironhead. I'm not into night lifting either. I'm too tired! 1250 miles, whoa, that's a killer drive. How long did it take? Like Karen said, potty breaks and snacks and overall chaos!

Karen, how's the HoCo and Mark Lauren?

Justine, no you didn't sound snooty. It's just hard for an American like me to comprehend Wimbledon being an annual ritual. Cool that your daughter got 'schooled' at Wimbledon! I hear you on your concern for your nieces. I feel such a huge responsibility to teach my daughters to be rational, sensible people with food and health. Not to get caught up in body image crap, etc. My mom was (and is) such a disordered eater and body hater. It is my #1 goal to break that cycle. Cathe, working out, and reading Nia and Girls Gone Strong, etc, help me so much. Not sure if all Canadians are serious. I imagine they can get pretty animated when it comes to hockey, at the very least. 2 hours, whoa! You are almost done with this program, you can do it!

Roz, hi!

Friday I did boxing (I think? I can't even remember). Saturday I did Chiseled Upper and Lower Body Live (Jan 2016). Fun!

Have a great Sunday and hope your weeks get off to a good start!

Late night lifting...ugh! Watching son 2 do 315x5 was a great spectator sport, but humbling! I spent the afternoon in the pool and when lifting time came, I was a little spent. The change in equipment and benches is always interesting...just feels different, but I did sets at 135, 155, 175, 195 and longer rep sets on the way down, doing sets of 10-12 at 155 and finished flat bench with 2 sets at 135 with bands attached to the bar which makes lockouts more difficult, increasing resistance as the bar moves toward lockout. I only did 2 sets of incline, and I think the bench incline was higher because 135 seemed more difficult, more like a military press. I finished with 1x30 pushups.... I am glad I went, but sorta a sub par performance! The gym was nice and we had it to ourselves...that was sweet!!.....still a morning guy!! Hope everyone is doing well!

Horrid, isn't it Tom when we're no longer the generation of the moment! Great to see our children beating us, but it's kind of a sharp reminder of our place!
Talking of which, I'm about to go and watch my daughter graduate. So no workout tomorrow.

Lisa, I can just imagine you taking your time typing whilst dh struggles. No harm in them realising how difficult these 'little' chores really are.
I'm with you about breaking the cycle of food obsession. I just hope I haven't gone too far in the opposite direction. I eat a tonne!

Another 2 hour session today! Phew.

Hope lib, Karen and Roz are well. Xx

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.