Lifting like girls

Hi all,
Hope you're all well!
I'm marginally losing my s&%t due to a week of house guests. I'm basically a walking ball of ready-to-scream now.

Justine, to answer your question, I guess I'm looking to gain some muscle (with the fat that comes along) then do a cut. The new e-book for women from Renaissance Periodization is AWESOME. The basic idea is that, for women (or just people) who have been training over a year, you basically can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Unless they're de-trained, obese, etc. And the rate of muscle gain with maintenance calories is abysmally slow. So if you want to gain, you do 1-3 mos of hypercaloric dieting (they have a bunch of formulae based on bodyweight, bodyfat, goals, etc.), 1-3 months of maintenance (since your body 'wants' to go back to its most recent 'set point') follow (or preceded by) a 1-3 month phase of hypocaloric dieting, followed by a maintenance phase (for the same reasons stated above). It's great, science-based, thorough. Also, they stress sanity (if you're cool with where you are, don't sort-of-diet all the time -- just be happy in maintenance mode and set a date every 3 mos or so to reassess your goals).

So re: workouts, yesterday was OTF Squats. I did back squats, 6x8 -- one set at 115, one at 125, two at 135, two at 145. Snatch grip deadlifts 4x10 145#. BB curls 50# 1x20, 1x15, 1x12. Grip challenge (this one was holding with a pinch grip two 10# metal plates with one hand and deadlifting them AMRAP one minute, repeat other hand -- HARD!), and side planks.

Today was Fitness Fusion Live (thanks, Lisa!! :) ) and a bit of chest work a la Tom and Justine (a mish mosh of BB bench press, flys, pushups, and also some skull crushers for tris). Gotta get a bit of chest and tri work in in addition to ALL that pulling work.

Anywho, wish me luck! Not sure when I'll be back, hopefully tomorrow but we'll see.
High fives,
Roz

Good morning!
Here's my catch up. Thursday was GSF2, heavy (not my heaviest, but a great workout) felt really good. Yesterday, was a 30 minute tabata. Actually some metabolic thrown in the mix. I made it up myself, and it was hard, but fun. Then I did HoCo volume 1. This morning was GSF2 workout 3 for the week. The more I play with this, the more I like it.
The kids are all here, so I have been playing with the grandkids. I have a granddaughter that is 11 going on 25. She's very bright, and if her mom and dad let her, she could have a very smart mouth. It's fun to have a conversation with her. When I was her age, I was very naive. Different generation. Seven (almost nine) grandkids, and they are all so different. I'm rambling, so I will just say, have a great day everyone.
Keep tossing the iron COMMANDOS! You're the best!

Roz, this e-book sounds very interesting. I may have to check it out. Thanks for the heads-up! Hang in there. Just go to your room, put a pillow over your face, and scream into it.

Last edited:
Roz, I'd be round there to help out, if I was close enough! Karen's idea about letting off some tension into a pillow is a good one (must remember it for in a month's time...) I bet you're being a fab hostess. X

Anyway, thanks for explaining RP. It sounds sensible. I keep hoping that I'm magically going to find a way to strip fat and gain muscle and get strong all at the same time. But I know, deep down, that it's just not possible. I'm just not sure I can cope emotionally with bulking. I got a bit chunky this summer (STS- I always do) and I just felt about the whole thing. The middle phase of gsf2 has leaned me out quite a bit. Metabolic. Always does it for me. I would like a bit more muscle, though. I guess I'm at a crossroads, and can't decide where to go next. I'll be bugging you non-stop about how you're getting on. Like you suggested, I'm going to use all the seasonal calories wisely and get as much gainz as possible!

Big walking day (again) today. Sore armpits from yesterday's flys.

Karen, glad you're liking gsf2. I've enjoyed it more and more as I get into the concept. Can't quite believe I'm about to start week 10.

And seven grandchildren? Wow. The 11 year old sounds great. I bet they think grandma is amazing!

Xx to all

Hey all you Commandos! Busy holiday here and currently am typing with 1-hand, so this will get messy! I've been reading all about your sweat sessions and other antics. So grateful for my group of friends here in the Lifting Like Girls check-in.

Tom, did you gain 10lbs of turkey? Still enjoying family time?

Roz, yes houseguests and smelly fish, as the saying goes. After screaming in your pillow, I'd recommend going to your workout room and doing some bang-the-BB on the floor DLs. That might scare your visitors into submission. Did you like Fitness Fusion? Here are more recommendations, in addition to the other Forum thread: HiiT Fit Circuit Live (10/22/15) (the first 35mins is metabolic, then she goes to barre work), TB Cardio and Weights (10/15/15), Bootcamp w/Step Live (2/26/15), Cardio Strength Blast (9/18/14), Cardio Band Blast + Weights (7/24/14), Drill Max Live (8/13/15). That should keep you busy for awhile. :)

Justine, so you celebrated Thanksgiving. Did you celebrate Black Ftiday shopping madness too, or are you Brits too refined for that? ;)

Karen, great workouts! Congrats on 9--almost 11--grand kids. No doubt you are the bestest Grandma ever. Have fun. I have such fond memories of being around 10 or 11 years old and just having conversations with my grandma. Treasured memories.

I've been getting my workouts in. Thurs = X10 hi/lo and Strong UB Express Live; Fri = KCM Stepboxing; Today = HiiT Fit Circuit Live.

Be back on Monday! Waves to everyone!

Lisa

Lisa, more recommendations on Cathe Live, please! I would like to go through them, doing every one. But, that will take forever. So, just the most favorites for now.

There was a time I was using periodization. Put on as much beef as possible, in the Winter. Then cut it up during the warmer months. Than was a while ago, but it does work.

Wowzer I tried to do arms and shoulders tonight and it ended up to be 40 sets!! I think I may have crossed that fine line between bravery and stupidity! Wasn't my strongest lift day, but was sorta a "grinder"!! Started with shoulders, doing 8 sets of military press, a pyramid series from 75#_105 Next was side laterals 30sx10x8 barbell front raise 55x10x8. Barbell shrugs 160x30x20 and rear delt fly 40sx10x8. Next was 8 sets of ezbar curls 75x5. 85x6. 95x5 105xzip!!! (fail) 95x6x4x3 85x7. 75x8 then con curls 35sx8x6 30sx8 and 1 set of 21s 45# bar only! Last was tris, 8 set pyramid of dumbbell skullcrushers from 30s to 50s 2 sets of tri pushdowns at 70# and finished with 2 sets of feet on bench tri pushups x16x13. Karen, it sounds like a great time with grandkids!!! I can hear them when they get home " "bet my Grandma's stronger than your Grandma"!!! ( pretty sure bet!)Lisa, I actually LOST 4 lbs!! Didn't have shakes and although we ate a huge meal, we skipped some too...sigh! Roz, like Justine, can't wait to hear what bulking does to your lifts...wanna try it too!! Hope you survived the weekend without ulcers!! Justine, hope your version of the "Boston tea party" was terrific!! Off to watch football and EAT!!!

Lisa, did I really neglect to mention that I had a BLAST doing Fitness Fusion? Great rec, thanks! (And great thread in the other forum, too.) I actually almost bagged it when I heard 'leg conditioning' at the beginning (in the list of what Cathe'd be covering), but glad I stuck it out! I was really tired, so the fairly simple choreography was perfect. I just modified any time there was a reverse lunge-type movement.

Well, I had some high-rep deadlifting to do today, so I took my bar up to the attic right above the guest room! Great idea, Lisa! ;) Kidding, unfortunately. But true about the deadlifting. 8 sets: 175x12, 195 for 5x10, 175 for 2x10. Then kroc rows (ballistic one-arm bent over rows), 55 for 3x12 each side. DB snatches 50 for 4x2 each side. Weighted planks (me + 30# toddler) for 4x30 sec. Going for a walk later today, and tomorrow I'll rest or do yoga or maybe some very gentle cardio? Anyone have a rec for something Cathe that's OK for basically rest-day work to get a little movement in?

With stress + sleeplessness + holiday treats + yesterday's cardio I had NO problem getting in well over my daily allotment of calories. ;) Looking forward to moving past the Week of Carbz. (BTW, in the RP hypercaloric/hypocaloric dieting, you basically stay at 1g protein per lb of LEAN body mass and 1.5g carbs per lb lean body mass (I think?) and take fats in and out (but never go below a baseline fat level, I think for me it's 50-60 g -- after that you can reduce carbs). They say more protein than that doesn't help muscle building and you need to keep carbs for performance (but don't want to totally freak out on carbs during hypercaloric dieting because it can cause extra fat storage) but fats are easy to just toss into your diet, and not TOO hard to remove. This actually feels really sensible and doable for me, personally.

OK, guys, I'm off -- have a great Sunday!
High fives,
Roz

Decided to do a core day again today. Crunches,x50x25x25x25x25, knee ins, x30x25x25, kettlebell side bends 50# 3x10, hanging knee raises 3x8, Rom deads 160# 3x8 and ab wheel roll outs 2x25, and finished with 6 min planks 30_90sec each hold, going from both elbows to one side, then the other and back to both. I like these core days!! Hope the weeks ends well for everyone!!

Squat day for me today. Worked slowly up to 67kg, did 4 x 4 , then did 3x3 at 77kg, but my depth isn't there at that weight, so I did anothe 4x4 at 67. Kind of a mini pyramid! Then lunges / crunches superset, followed by singled legged dls. I then tried some pullovers with a band. I attached the band to a low hook on my wall to do them. Weird. Very different to bb or DB pullovers. I really felt them in my triceps. I'll do more at some point - they don't aggravate my shoulders and elbows like most triceps moves do.

Roz, very interesting on the food. It maybe something I'll try, once I find the time to monitor food intake. It's just too much trouble at this time of year (is I can't be bothered!) Good work with the deads. As to Cathe for a day off - some of the cardio from the STS series is not too taxing. MMA etc. I rather like doing those- great for heart rate, but no muscular strain!

Tom- 40 sets? Wow.

Karen, would you do periodisation again? I must admit it seems a bit daunting.

I haven't done any black Friday shopping (we seem to have it here, but without the thanksgiving. Weird).

Hope everyone's well xx

Today was the perfect example of what happens when you are retired, wife is in Florida, and you have TOO MUCH GYM TIME!! Did a kinda brutal 24 set chest day, doing only bench/inclined bench. Starting with bench, did 18 sets,115x5 135x5 155x3 175x2 185x1 175x4 155x5x4x4x4x4x3x3x2 (spent some time here!) 135x10x8x7x6. Then went to inclined bench 115x8x8x7x5.I really thought since I did such a tough shoulder/arm wo Sat night that I would really suffer today with chest, but I felt really good!! My goal is to be back over 200# on bench, but willing to do "baby steps" to get there! Trying to do a lot of sets/wo and increase volume, but still try to go heavy and NOT drop the bar on my face!!! Weight was back up close to what I was last week, so good there. I missed leg day this week, but did do leg bodyweight stuff Wed and I guess that will have to suffice. I know a lot of my weight loss has been lower body and I want to regain some size there so will try to hit it hard Wed! Justine, I too have problems with getting "deep" on heavier squats, either weakness or balance or both, but I gotta work on that! Roz, I am trying to get 1g protein/lb as well, but I never tried to count carbs..probably should. I kept track of protein during sts and tried to get 200g/day and it really helped me gain size and strength,and hopefully with increased appetite I can do it again! Have a great week Commando Sisters!!!

Hi everyone,
Hope you all had a great weekend!
We're returning to 'normal' life after the weekend, phew! I'm also looking forward to not having treats all day long. Blah. Just doesn't feel good. Happy to grab a spoon and hit the peanut butter to keep those fats up, though. ;)

Tom, AWESOME job on bench press today! You will get over 200#, I'm sure!

Today I'm just resting. So tired, so spent, and I'm due a total rest day, anyways. Plus, yesterday and tomorrow are both deadlift days, LOL.

Anyhow, just a quick 'hello' for me today, I'll be back soon.

BTW, it bears mentioning that I LOVED reading this check-in during my holiday stresses. I would take my phone into the bathroom and see what y'all were doing to get a break from the madness! The perfect escape.

Constant streams of high fives all around,
Roz

Tom, great work on the chest. Baby steps is a great idea - must remember that for my overhead pressing. The volume you're getting in is amazing. As for squat depth, I'm going to put in some work on the low end. I'm all over the place once I get down there! Knees flare out, or cave in, core crumples, calves shake.....a mess.

Roz, welcome back to normality (or back to craziness maybe?).

Overhead pressing today. Kind of hit a PR (but only just - baby steps!) 37.5kg 12 reps over 4 sets (previous 8 reps over 3 sets). I know it's not impressive, but it's a lift I've been going backwards on, so I'm chuffed. Then I dropped to 30kg and got some volume in. Weight plate rows (easier on my shoulders than BB rows) and band pull overs followed by racked KB carries and curls. I was fried.

I've been thinking a lot about this bulking / cutting thing. Wondering if I'm mentally stable enough to do a bulk (!). An unintentional bulk is another thing entirely! This came through on my e-mail today:
http://bretcontreras.com/importance-chasing-strength/

Kind of struck a chord.

Anyway, good luck with the deads tomorrow Roz. Tom, legs tomorrow???? Hi to Karen and Lisa, and welcome, if you decide to check in here Liberty.

Xx

Hello everyone, I'm new here. Thanks for the invite Roz!

I'm 45......oops 46, a single mother of two boys, 11 and 13 (oldest has aspergers). I work as a tutor, accountant, and student worker on campus in financial aid. I attend school full time. I graduate with my BS in May, and have been accepted to graduate school and after taking the full summer off am scheduled to start in August. Yes, extremely busy.

For relaxation, I ride my motorcycle (okay any chance I can, even winter). I like to camp, swim, and write.

I am returning to working out after over 5 years off. I went through a divorce, and subsequent depression along with trying to get the state to understand emotional abuse is actual abuse. I started smoking again, which I quit last July, and haven't touched since. But, between everything, I need to loose 50 pounds.

I love lifting weights, cardio not so much! :) I am really looking forward to getting to working together.

Lib

Good Morning Everyone!!
Wow, what a week. Everyone has gone home and it's me, and DH again. Oh, but it was fun (most of the time, LOL)
Winter has arrived here, 15 degrees this morning.
Tom, are you looking to be on the cover of "Muscle & Fitness?" You're kicking it!
Roz, your DL is phenominal, great job!
Justine, great weight on squats. Very nice!
Lisa, I need to try "Totally Toned Legs," sounds like a good one. Tell your DH to be careful on the roof. My neighbor
just did a one & a half off the roof (however, the US judge did give him a 9) still not worth it.
Yesterday, I did Yoga Warrior 365 with Rudy Mettia. This morning was LIS Cardio Supersets. Haven't done any of the LIS
for awhile. I like using gliding discs. It was a fun workout. Tonight will be month 2 of GSF2. Looking forward to it!
Have a good one everybody!

Welcome Lib, great to have you aboard!

Last edited:
Justine, I know how you feel about bulking. There was a time, it stressed me out. Only because I thought I wouldn't be able to lose it. I have always had an easier time gaining. Losing has always been a battle. The only time losing was easy for me, was when I was a teenager. One less burger, fries and a coke a week, and I could lose 5 lbs.
If you're interested, I say go for it. Beef up this Winter, with a lot of heavy work, and more calories. In the Spring, hit the metabolic workouts. I know I have already told you this, (I'm a broken record) but this was the protocol, when I was competing, back in the stone age. If it is just not working for you, cut it short, and hit the metabolic workouts. Who knows? you may love the look!

Did half of low max today. oh boy, did way better than I thought I would.

Yesterday I did upper body add on (body fusion) - remember this is only the second week I have consistently worked out in a long time-and I am still pretty sore.

I was thinking about doing either gym style legs, gym style bis and tris, or pyramid lower body tomorrow. But wondering if I am biting off too much too early? Maybe I should do total body for a week?? I could also take an easy day (ha ha ha ha) and do the lower body add on. What are your thoughts on this? (I have to have full control of my motorcycle (be able to move my upper body) wednesday, as it will finally be nice enough to ride, and I need to take it in for a service between classes)

Lib

Hi Lib, good to have you on board. I'm another 46 year old divorcee (although I've been married to number 2 for 15 years!).

I'd say go for gym styles, but keep it light, and use it as a technique practice day. Hopefully it won't hurt too much, but it'll get you back into the groove.

Karen, you've spoken sense as always....I guess I may as well make the most of the winter calories. Slight worry is that I'm going on holiday (vacation ) the first week of Feb, so I can't be too liberal with the Christmas pudding!

I see what you mean, Justine. That is a whole other kettle of fish. Perhaps, you can start when you get home after vacation. (holiday) Give it a go for three months. That should give you an idea. If you like the more muscle look, keep going. When you feel like enough, is enough. Bring in the metabolic. Let all of us know what you decide. Post a selfie. (no pressure, only if you feel like it) I'm excited for you already. Good luck.

Roz, have you started this protocol? Keep us posted. I'm excited for the both of you! Good luck, ladies!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.