Lifting like girls

Lisa, you need to be a comedy writer!! You crack me up! I'm seeing face plants ( I'd be there too) and the visuals are hilarious, but I only wish I had the shoulders!! Keep up the comic relief, that's one of the reason this forum is so much fun!! You ALL have such a GREAT sense of humor (across the pond..we delete some letters due to Yankee laziness)

Arm day and another 24 set day. Barbell curls 75x5 85x5 95x5 105x4 95x7x6 85x8 75x10. next was stab ball dumbbell curls 40s x4 35s x8and finished bis with 21s 25s x 7 count and a 45#bar x 7 count. For tris I started with skullcrushers (dumbbell) 35s x10 40s x 8 45s x8 50s x 8 45s x8 40s x 8 35s x 8 x 8. Next tri pushdowns 70# x 8 x 8 and finished with feet on bench close grip tri pushups x16 x12. Gonna try to get some core work in over the weekend. Speaking of weekends, hope everyones is terrific!!

Yep, I agree - I come here for the laughs and the pleasant competition.

Tom, Britain is a small nation, we bulk out our words with extraneous letters, as a grammatical chest puffing. We complicate everything (have you tried to pronounce some of our place names?) we should just admit we no longer have an empire!!!!

Great work, Tom. 105# BB curls...beyond my imagination. I used to love skullcrushers, but haven't done them in an age.

Now...breaking news.....I didn't quite do my planned workout. Well, I sort of did, but I went a bit off piste. I was supposed to be doing supersetted DLs and ball slams. 4-6 reps on the deads. For some reason, I just felt like doing some heavy lifts, so I worked my way up, in triples, to 110kg rdl, then back down. Felt OK. This programme may be doing what it's supposed to do, and making me stronger.
I then did my ball slams, like a good girl. Did a few shoulder presses and pull throughs, then called it a day, missing the final triset of curls, triceps and lateral raises.

Lisa, as to what I do when I walk....nothing! You could wire up my brain, and I swear it would be a flat line. Occasionally I have to yell for the dogs to come back, but other than that? A blank! It's lovely!

Great weekend everyone x

Yep, I agree - I come here for the laughs and the pleasant competition.

Tom, Britain is a small nation, we bulk out our words with extraneous letters, as a grammatical chest puffing. We complicate everything (have you tried to pronounce some of our place names?) we should just admit we no longer have an empire!!!!

Great work, Tom. 105# BB curls...beyond my imagination. I used to love skullcrushers, but haven't done them in an age.

Now...breaking news.....I didn't quite do my planned workout. Well, I sort of did, but I went a bit off piste. I was supposed to be doing supersetted DLs and ball slams. 4-6 reps on the deads. For some reason, I just felt like doing some heavy lifts, so I worked my way up, in triples, to 110kg rdl, then back down. Felt OK. This programme may be doing what it's supposed to do, and making me stronger.
I then did my ball slams, like a good girl. Did a few shoulder presses and pull throughs, then called it a day, missing the final triset of curls, triceps and lateral raises.

Lisa, as to what I do when I walk....nothing! You could wire up my brain, and I swear it would be a flat line. Occasionally I have to yell for the dogs to come back, but other than that? A blank! It's lovely!

Great weekend everyone x

Justine, (everybody really) I just have to say, you crack me up!! You make me laugh, and that's great!! Good on ya. (be witty if you can) Is that what it is, Tom, because of our laziness? I thought it was cuz, we couldn't spell, or maybe our accent. I have a neighbor that says harse, instead of horse. Go figure.
I had a dentist appt. this morning. So I haven't worked out yet. Going to do it right now. Will return and report.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Yes, I also come for the chuckles! And sometimes it's just nice to have a moment's distraction from life. :)
Justine, killer DLs. Tom, how are your arms still working after your recent shoulder workout?

This morning I did a bodyweight (and minimal equipment) hodgepodge, just because I felt like it. Lots of core work, too, as active recovery. I just played some tunes and jammed. About an hour's worth of met con-feeling stuff. I will get to chins tomorrow, I swear!

Lisa and Karen, I get all jealous reading about your Cathe Live fun! I will get back to it soon.
High fives,
Roz

Justine...what's a piste??? We get that way when angry ( wrong context) haha. I would love to actually HEAR you...we should trick you into doing a video ( talkie)!! Great work on the rdl's!! Karen..a trip to the dentist?? I love those guys!! Hope it went well! I have buddies that say " crIck" for creek, and fark for fork!! After listening to them, I want to send them to Justine for tutoring!! Roz..I promised myself some serious core work this weekend since didn't get much done the last few days..promises..promises. Many many smiles by me when reading this forum...keep the laughs AND motivation coming...a daily highlight!!

Hi everyone!
I finally got around to chins this morning. 40 over 9 sets with longer sets at the beginning. Then barbell snatches, 6 sets, mostly triples, working from 65# up to 85#. Finally a superset of DB bench press (5x15 at 2x30#) and hanging knee raises (5x15).
That's it -- saving some for squats tomorrow!
Running off to 'do' Saturday, high fives all around!
Roz

Thought I'd try something different today and do a "core day" Started with crunches 50 with feet down,2x25 with feet up, knees to chest 3x25, hanging knee raises 3x8 ( can't hang with ya Roz) and 6 min plank..1min on both elbows, 1 min right, 1 min left, 1 min both doing alt knee to chest, 30 sec right, 30 sec left and 1 min alt knee to chest both elbows. I've decided that while I do a lot of anterior core stuff, I don't do enough erector type w/o's So I did some deads, 185x4, 205x3, 225x3, 245x2 and finished with 2 sets of Romanian deads 160x8 x8. I tried to find a way to do hip thrusts, but my lowest rack is too high, and my bench slides away from me I guess because my concrete floor is too slick. I kinda liked the idea of a core day and may try it again. Justine, I not a skier so you may be right. Roz, great w/o. Have fun weekends!!

Good morning everyone! Just finished LIS Upper Body Trisets, used it for a warm up. Finished up with GSF2. I love this, just kinda mixing it up. Haven't been going tooooo heavy with GSF2, so next week I start with the heavy stuff.
Tom, it's always a great time at the dentist, he's a good friend, I get my teeth cleaned, a pat on the arm, (with a good job, Karen) and I skip out the door with my little bag of treasures. Doesn't get much better than that, right? Core day? Nice job, as usual.
Justine, I am a skier, and I have not heard the word piste, we just call it a ski slope. But, then again, I live in the mountain west, and it could be called a piste back east. I have to admit, I have not been skiing east of the Rockies. (Colorado) What is adaptifier? It sounds interesting, and something I need to try. Hiking 6 hours today? Wow, nice job.
Roz, 9 sets of chins, then snatches. Supersets, and hanging knee raises. Again, you're killing it. Nice.
As always, I am so impressed by all of you!
Lisa, did I tell you I liked the latest Cathe Live! Well, I did. Thought it was fun.
Well done, to all of you!

Last edited:
Wowza, lots of activity! You're all doing great, in typical rockstar Commando fashion.

Lisa, you need to be a comedy writer!! You crack me up!

I find myself to be geeky and sophomoric, but I like your viewpoint better! ;)

feet on bench close grip tri pushups x16 x12.

HOW? How did you do these at the end and with your feet elevated? Great core day today, too! 6 mins on a plank is impressive!

Now...breaking news.....I didn't quite do my planned workout.

Are you ill or am I just being a bad influence? ;) Feels good to rebel from a rotation, admit it! Great sweat sessions for you! Just so you know you are rubbing off on me, too. Yesterday I just wanted to do a long Justine-style walk, except I listened to a Nia podcast and wasn't chasing after dogs, ha! I don't know what a piste is either, but my ski terminology is limited to 'lodge' and 'hot chocolate.'

I have a neighbor that says harse, instead of horse. Go figure.
I had a dentist appt. this morning.

Kare, you probably also get 'malk' instead of 'milk' and 'warsh' instead of 'wash.' And 'we was....' My grandma from your neck of the woods would say 'we was....' in lieu of 'we were...' Oh yeah, love the dentist too--my own, and our resident dentist Tom, too! My sis-in-law was pleasantly surprised a few years ago in her dentist's waiting room to see fellow patient Donny Osmond (swoon! love his voice) checking out after his check-up. I want to go to that dentist! :)

This morning I did a bodyweight (and minimal equipment) hodgepodge, just because I felt like it.

Sometimes no equipment is just what the doctor ordered! Looks like you used a good amount of your toys today, though! Did you 'do' a good Saturday?

As mentioned, I did a long walk yesterday (6 miles) and today was Cathe Live from Thurs, since it got Queen Karen's stamp of approval. Fun! It also felt especially tough.

What are your Thanksgiving Day plans (you too, if you celebrate Justine....I heard that some Brits do)? We'll hang around home and eat a nice meal but not turkey. I don't care for the traditional meal so I make it a recipe exploration/try something new & exotic day. :)

Happy weekend and see y'all Monday.

Lisa

Hi all,
Hope you're having great weekends!
Yes, Lisa, I did a good Saturday! A productive one, that is. I'm rather overwhelmed right now as I feel I've got a million things on my plate and we're hosting family for Thanksgiving. So. Yeah. I'm stressed. But it's OK. ;)
Great job everyone! I'm going to have to keep this quick again as I'm bopping about from task to task.
Just finished week 3 of phase 2 of GSF1. One week left until Phase 3, which begins in the 3-5 rep range for two weeks, 2-4 during week 3, then ends with testing maxes in week 4.
Today was front squats (Karen's favorite)! 135 x5, 125 x5, then 115 x6 x6 x7. I've enjoyed working front squats during this phase (options are skater squats and front squats, the latter has consistently tested best -- phase 3 is back to back squat vs. DB split squats). I felt my back squat was pretty stagnant but I've definitely seen improvement in my front squat.
After squats, a superset of DB swings (3x15 55#) and one-arm bent over rows (3x8 55#) and two rounds of Valslide archer planks and Turkish situps. All that took maybe 30 mins including testing, so I added XTrain legs firewalker (this is only ~2 mins) and barre. Ouch! :eek:
I don't know what the next week holds in terms of my availability to workout, so I'm going to play it by ear.
Justine, I'd like to see the Queen Mum pardon a turkey (do you know about this American tradition? -- the president 'pardons' a turkey for Thanksgiving, since really those turkeys all have it comin' to them anyways for their various transgressions. Like crossing the road or something.)
Anyways! Put a lid on me. I'm off. Tomorrow I'll likely rest. But who knows!!
Roz

Thanksgiving and forgiving turkeys? I thought only we had crazy traditions! I may well end up celebrating as my bff is Texan, so she's bound to host a feast. I live very close to Boston where the mayflower sailed from, in fact my nearest hospital is called the pilgrim, so I kind of feel involved! I guess it's very like our harvest festival?

Anyway, supposedly squats today, but I've done something to my thigh. Feels almost like a pulled / torn muscle. Managed 4x3 at 90kg, then tried deeper squats at 60 kg, but had to give up. Even hip thrusts hurt. In fact the only lower body thing I could do was rdls. I'm going to treat this week as recovery, although I'll do quite a bit of upper body, and then start heavy next week. I'm bummed.

Karen, adaptifier is a tracking software which came free with gsf. I've been using it, but I'm not convinced.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend. Winter has arrived here.

OK, OK, I'm back for just a sec...
Just want to chime in re: Adaptifier. I like that volume and density can also lead to PRs, but I don't like that there are stretches of time when I KNOW I'm making progress and the little 'progress' line is going down (e.g., today's front squats).

Justine, TAKE THAT RECOVERY WEEK! You know a week goes by in a flash, but hammer on top of that initial 'ouch' and you might end up with a proper injury. I know you know this but -- I also know from experience it can help to hear it from someone else!

This is Boston in the UK, I presume? You're not squatting stateside, now, are you?

Also... I last-minute pre-ordered the new Renaissance Periodization e-book for women. So much good info. On the one hand, I'm considering a very gentle 'massing' phase (maybe 5 lbs over 8 weeks, nothing major), followed by a month of maintenance and a cutting phase, but at the same time... I don't know... I've been feeling like I've been easing into a comfortable maintenance mode. And with all the stresses I've got going on in life right now, I just don't know that I want to be counting and counting and weighing and weighing. Know what I'm sayin'? I've actually stopped counting calories. I mostly have a simple whey shake in the morning and maybe nibble at this and that then a proper meal between 10am-noon. It really seems to work for me.
Babbling here, curious to hear your thoughts.
Roz

Last edited:
Roz, my thoughts exactly about adaptifier. I'm not the sort who needs pushing...in fact logging my workouts can make me push too hard. I'm going to return to pen and paper, I think. Which leads me on to saying thank you for making me rest my quad. Yes, I do need reminding.

I don't count calories or weigh myself. I makes me a bit crazy and neurotic. I reckon if you have enough stress at the moment, don't do it. Wait until you have the mental space to cope with it. You're good at listening to your body, so I would think you eat well and instinctively.

I hear you about being in maintenance. I feel as though I've leaned out over the last couple of months, but don't want to push it any further, as I don't want to lose strength and muscle. Maintenance will do for me until I have the energy to bulk and cut again ( with all the emotional involvement that takes). New year?

Top of the morning iron ladies!! Chest day today and started with bench, 12 sets 45x8 115x5 135x5 155x8 165x3 175x2 155x6x5 135x8x8x8x7, Next was inclined bench 4 sets at 115 x8 x8 x8 x7 then dumbbell incline 40s (tried 50s and got STUCK!!) x13 x12 x10 x10 I added reps and it totaled 150!! Kinda surprised, but was pretty good volume, and I think that's good! Hope everyones week is off to a good start and "ye iron tossin" goes well!!

Good morning!
Hope you're feeling better, Justine. Nothing like a pulled muscle, to sideline the whole routine.
This morning was Leaner Legs and Abs. Tonight will be GSF2 and HoCo.
I was very lazy this weekend, didn't do much, workout wise. Hoping to get my Mojo back today.
Will have to check out adaptifier.
I agree with you, Justine. From another thread, I don't want a gluteal shelf either. Just a nice A$$!
Great job, everyone. Keep it up!!

Was a good girl, and took it easy today. Circuit of dls, pull ups, glute bridges, bench press and rows. Did 4 rounds of 10 reps, taking it easy weight-wise ( 60kg lower body, 30kg upper). Felt good. Another day walking for 6 hours, though (although that doesn't aggregate my quad).

Karen, hats off to you and your doubles. Tom, that IS great volume.

Roz, Lisa, hoping you two had good days. Xx

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.