Lifting like girls

TOO MUCH GYM TIME!!

Tom, when the cat's away the mice will...workout! ;) I always stand in awe of your shoulder workouts and your core and chest workouts were pretty tough, too! Great work! Now we've just got to get you to stop skipping meals (she wags finger in disapproval, ha!).

Happy to grab a spoon and hit the peanut butter to keep those fats up, though. ;)

Roz, you've just described my life. :) Glad you took a rest day today. Your body will thank you by annihilating your DLs tomorrow. I'm chuckling at the imagery of you sneaking off to the ladies' room with your phone for some Commando sanity. :) In terms of 'easy' recovery Cathes, 4DS Low Impact Step (without the blasts, although the blasts are not difficult in this one), MMA boxing/KBing combos only (MMA Fusion seems to work my muscles a bit too much, plus I hate the rolling on the ground moves), KM / KPC combos only, first 30 mins Cardio Kicks, the 20-ish min hi/lo section from MIC, the step routine only from BM2. Also, do you want a list of cardio-centric Live favorites? Most of those have blasts built in so I wouldn't necessary consider them recovery, but you might want some for a cardio day?

Wondering if I'm mentally stable enough to do a bulk (!)

I hear that! Hats off to you, Roz, and Karen for treading those waters. (Tom, you're a different story!) I'm used to the idea of gaining weight for a purpose (hello pregnancy!), but doing it in such a calculated way, where you're working out hard and tracking most (or all) of your macros...geesh that sounds hard. Plus I just love cardio too much and metabolic stuff too much. I'm also not brave enough to take (or post) a selfie!

I love lifting weights, cardio not so much! :) I am really looking forward to getting to working together.

Lib, see the above. I LOVE my cardio, and I love it in all forms. I'm pretty much the resident cardio addict in our check-in. But lately I have been gravitating towards metabolic and circuit type routines for my cardio. As the other Commandos have said, lifting weights faster does indeed work to bring up the heart rate, and isn't that what cardio is all about--elevating the heart rate? I know it was said elsewhere that Jen Sinkler's rugby background has something to do with it...rubbish! You've got to find workouts that you love. Life's too short to dread your workouts. I agree with Justine that focusing on form and going with lighter weights is a great way to start out with Gym Styles. Glad you're here!

My neighbor
just did a one & a half off the roof (however, the US judge did give him a 9) still not worth it.

Oh, my! Karen, you are a crack up. Hope your neighbor is OK! My DH managed just fine and he's glad it's over with. Our 'high' today is around 20*. Man all mighty. Nice work on the LIS workout. That's a great series, works the body in such a unique way. Something about all those mountain climbers and push-up variations. It just never gets 'easier.' What kind of Live recs do you want? Cardio? Metabolic? Legs? Or just a general list of faves?

I always ramble so much I almost always forget to post my workout for the day! Today I did KCM Circuit Burn. Great circuit-style cardio.

Lisa

Hi everyone!
Life is sort of returning to normal, and I'm breathing a sigh of relief! Thanks to all for your support. :)

Lib, yay, welcome! So glad you're joining us! I agree with Justine -- go for Gym Styles but keep it light. I remember doing GS after completing STS Meso 3. I thought I was so strong, but I was NOT prepared for the dearth of rest time in the GS series! Woah!! And if you're doing GS Legs -- I mean, I think I'd get a good workout doing GS legs with only bodyweight! Remember you'll get stronger every time! :D

Lisa, I'd LOVE your cardio(-ish) recommendations! Maybe you can just make the list for Karen and note which ones are cardio/metabolic (i.e., wouldn't fry me on a cardio day). THANKS!! And thanks for your recovery-cardio recs. I will definitely be pulling those out! IIRC, Step Moves might fit into that category, too, no? I think I remember liking that one for an easy cardio day.
Like Lisa, I'm too much of a wimp to post a selfie. :)

Karen, I began the RP (Renaissance Periodization) protocol a week ago, though with Thanksgiving/guests/all the accompanying stresses, I just kept a general eye on calories (~3k/day) and didn't stress that my carb intake was often well outside my daily allotment. But with life returning to normal, I'll get more calories from fats (with ample carbs, still). I'm weighing in every 2-3 days, with a goal to gain ~0.75lbs/week for 6-8 weeks (depending on how I'm feeling after 6). If I don't gain about that in a week, I'm to add 250 cals/day for a week and see how that goes. After stuffing my face to at least 3k cals a day for a week, I'm down 0.2 lbs. LOL, go figure. ALMOND BUTTER, HERE I COME! COWABUNGA! :p
I will note that I'm feeling very strong from the extra calories, which is fun!!

Today, though, I wasn't in bionic mode. (I'm, ahem, period-izing my training, if you will.) Kept the weight up but gave myself a break on volume.
Conventional DLs 215# x10, x10, x8 (I was very pleased with this, actually)
RDLs 145# 2x15
Band assisted pullups x10, x8, x6
BB snatches 50# 1x10, 65# 1x5, 80# 1x2
Russian twists 30# 2x20

Might do some shoulder work this PM when DH comes home and lifts. Front raises, side raises, rear flys, etc. Gotta get those delts poppin' ;)
Only if I have the gusto.

I'm thinking some yoga or gentle/moderate cardio tomorrow (No, Karen, 'only X77, no doubles' does not count as moderate cardio for ME!). Then Thurs is OTF again.

High fives all around! Again, Lib, a warm welcome and a hearty pat on the lats! :D
Sorry if I've neglected to respond to anything... I'm still a bit scatterbrained.
Roz

P.S. I am trying to get some high GI carbs (without much fat, which slows absorption -- though in a day my diet is high-fat) before training, so I bought the TJs light egg nog. OMG, YUCK!!! Serious plug-and-chug. So gross. Sticking to low fat chocolate milk from now on.

Today I decided to do "death by chin up" I decided to do as much each set as I could until I couldn't do at least 3! What I found out was strange... I reached a point where I could only do three, but did 14 sets of 3 ??? I went 12x8x6x5x4x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x2?? Is this unusual? I got to a point where I felt like I could do 3 forever, but not 4!! On the high rep end I petered out quickly! Next I did some bent over rows 135# 4x8 and straight leg deadlifts 135# 2x8. Roz, you are a machine on dead lifts, those are long sets at heavy weights! Rooster moment here...I don't see any negatives (except making ME feel inadequate) about maxing out strength. It should be fun to see what the extra intake allows you to do strength wise...kinda like a science project!! (no husbands were consulted prior to making this announcement!! haha) Lib..These ladies are a wealth of information and motivation! The achievements you have made in your life are incredible, and it sounds like you are ready to take care of YOU!! Go get some iron with these "Commando Sisters" and show that "hack doctor" that she is full of s&!t!!! I have learned a ton of fitness info from the ladies here and they keep me motivated. Welcome to the club!!

Well, I decided to try taking a 'before' selfie....and I found out 4 things:
1. I'm not going to become a portrait photographer
2. I may now consider Botox
3. My abs don't look as awesome as I imagine
4. Even if I got the figure, I can't do the competition poses!!!

I'll be seeing my DD this weekend, I'll ask for her help!

Rubbish w/o for me this morning (Nia bodyweight) felt rushed, and didn't do it justice. Oh well, can't ace them all.

Roz, Interesting that your weight hardly moved despite loads of calories and more carbs. I'd have thought there'd be at least some water gain. Good work on the strength, though- those DL numbers are impressive.

Tom, that is interesting about the chins. You certainly got the volume in though. I guess the next step is to do a couple more sets of 4? It's one of those moves, though, that if its not happening it's REALLY not happening.

Lib, glad you got underway with gym styles. I love that series. Better to start light, and not risk injury / disenchantment, and then see your weights ^^^^^^^. Finals next week? Oh boy you must be busy.

Lisa, love the way you integrate Cathe and KCM. Do you keep notes? I can never remember what all the workouts involve.

Karen, so, you're about to start phase 2 of gsf2? Interested to hear what you think...it was very different to anything else I'd done. I decided I really liked it, but 4 weeks was plenty.

DLs for me tomorrow, so I'm about to calorie up.....it's what I eat the night before which seems to have the most impact on my lifting.

Well done all xx

I started the second month of GSF2 last night. Workout was: 2 hand Kettlebell Swings 6X10@26 kg. (I love swings) superset of DB Bulgarian split squat and suspended pushups 6X6@70 lbs. another superset of DB single leg RDL 6X6@60lbs. and Russian Twists 6X10 each side 26lbs. Really enjoyed this workout. Looking forward to the next one. This morning I decided to do something different. Went to You Tube and did Butt Bible, level 2. She never stops talking, so I mute her, and play my own music. None of the moves are new, lots of reps.May do it again, or may just make up my own butt workout. Will think about it. Tonight is HoCo, (again.)

Roz, I'm impressed. If I ate 3k cal a day, calling me the Pillsbury Dough Boy would be a compliment. Good for you! Your lifting is great, you're becoming Robo-Woman!
Tom, Death By Chin-up? That is pretty funny, nice job. Still making it count!
So, Justine, you tried the selfie? I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as you think. Listen to me, I'm pretty good at telling others what to do, but, I won't be taking a selfie. I'm sure your Nia Workout was kick-butt!
Lisa, I'm always impressed with your cardio endeavors. I do it because I need it, just not my favorite. Metabolic cardio? Whole different story. Love it!
Lib, again welcome, glad you decided to join us. Keep up the great work. Gym Style, is one of my favorites!

Oh my! What a bunch of crazies we are! I am laughing out loud and my mood just jumped 150% by reading about Tom's apparent obsession with the number 3, Roz with her face in the AB jar (totally agree on TJ's yuck eggnog; TJ's does most everything so well but a lot of holiday flavored items do disappoint), Justine practicing her selfies, and Karen muting the yacking on the Butt Bible video. :)

Then there's Lib and the reminder of what it's like to prep for final exams. :eek: You go, Lib, and nice work on Gym Styles. Ain't nothin' in that series is easy.

Roz, Karen, 1-handed typing is my life these days but I will get you that list of Lives ASAP. Roz, yes, add Step Moves to the list. Also SJP hi/lo and SJP step and Imax3 step combos only (surprisingly easy w/o the interval blasts).

Today I did RWH LIHI UB Circuit, the 60 min premix that mixes in abs. I wanted to lift heavy today but slept awfully last night so the strength was NOT there. Bad sleep due to Mommy brain, not baby fussing. This felt so much like a Live workout, and actually easier that some of the Lives. I guess it's because I'm eating like a trucker, too, Roz--only my truck carries milk. ;) Yeah, extra cals do help. And Justine, I have a freakishly good memory, so I just remember the ins and outs of most workouts. I do have notes for STS but that's about it. And in those situations where I can't quite remember, I just pop the DVD in and flip through the chapters at lightening speed. That usually does it.

Waves and high fives!

Lisa

I read todays post after "bustin outta jail" and I laughed and smiled most of the 25 miles home...really makes my day! And Lisa framing all of us "crazies perfectly!!! What a vivid picture of Justine's selfie (which I'm sure is pretty darn good) Roz's face in the jar, Karen's muting, and the neighbors 1 and 1/2 gaynor with "style points" off the roof ( previous post)! As for my obsession with the number 3...I wish it had been 4 or 5, the torture would have ended sooner lol!! I'd be lost without y'all crazies to keep me entertained!! Lib, I gotta admit that my memories of finals are NOT a highlight of mine!! Good luck on yours!! Congrats on the gym styles wo!!

Last edited:
Today was the dreaded "leg day"! I swear I have the hips of a 66 year old!!....wait..never mind. I simply can not get low on barbell squats. I started with the bar and couldn't get low! I did 45x8 115x8 135x8 155x5x5x8x8x7. I felt it a lot, but I know I'm not parallel or below! My hips just never loosen enough for me to get there. On Goblet squats I feel much more comfortable. I did 50# x12x12x10 and these were below parallel..I think, or at least to it. I hadn't done barbell squats for a month and maybe that is part of the problem..or just freakin old!!! Next were dumbbell reverse lunges 35s x6x6x6 each side. I finished with barbell toe raises 155x30x22x20. Pretty disappointed, but legs were jello so mission accomplished! Hope all the Commando sistas have better iron tossing moments!!

Hello commandhohohos. Yes, you always make me laugh.

Tom, tell me to shut up if you've already tried this- but does slightly wider stance feet turned a bit out help? I have to squat with my right foot turned further out than my left. Looks weird, but helps the rom. Anyway, the point is that you felt it! Great volume.

Lisa, love that you used 'easier' and 'RWH' in the same sentence. You must have the healthiest heart ever.

Karen, glad you liked the gsf workout. I wasn't sure what I was aiming for when I first did the phase 2 workouts, but I ended up just going with the flow (get me, all spontaneous n all), and I think it did improve my strength.

Hope Roz and lib have had good days.

It was deads and pull ups for me today. Yay! I had a dreadful night's sleep last night, though, so wasn't sure how I'd cope. Did squat stance dls. Loved them. No heavier than last week (92k) but slightly more reps (2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 3). More pull ups too (30 over 6 sets) and with a wider grip than usual. Finished with 1 arm rows (26kx4x8) and palloff presses(4x15). All in all I was pleased, although I took it slowly.

I'm off to my parents tomorrow, for a funeral ☹️- my mum's cousin. But I'll probably pop in to say hi over the weekend, although I doubt I'll get a chance to workout. (I intend to take suspension trainer and bands, just in case...)
Xx to all

Hi everyone!

Justine, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's cousin. I'm sending my best wishes to you and your family. Hugs!!
And great DLs/pullups in spite of lousy sleep! I HATE poor sleep before lifting. It's like, great, not only am I going to be TIRED all day, but my lifts are going to suffer!! :mad:

Tom, if you take away the first set of 12, that's almost identical to my progression of chins. 8, 6, 5, 4, then 3 for a good long while. Go figure.
Great work on legs! Do you think the issue is strength at the bottom of the squat, or just pure ROM? Can you squat all the way down without weight (butt almost between feet)? That's a great stretch and improves ROM.

Lib, great work on your GS workout! And good on you for keeping up your workout routine even with finals brewing! It's good for the soul (fighting stress), too, in addition to the body! :)

Karen, I'm also interested in your continued feelings about Phase 2. I shared Justine's feelings.

Lisa, I started this morning with For The Love of Cardio Live -- so fun!!
I only got 14 mins in before DD woke up WAY before she was due, so I used those 14 mins as a warmup and did my next OTF workout. I'm going to try to lift as frequently as I can recover from during my massing phase, since the more you train (up to your max ability to recover), the greater % of muscle of total gains. Since I love lifting, it's no problem!
Today I did BB push presses 71 over 8 sets, mostly 85# with a few 75# and 80#. Suspension trainer inverted rows 4x20. Farmer carries 2x45# for 6x40 yards. DB squeeze presses 2x30# for 62 over 6 sets. Finally ab wheel rollouts 4x10.

I think I'll go ahead and squat tomorrow, assuming I'm up to it! The only issue with OTF is that there's some pulling/DLing in every workout (sometimes just accessory work, like today's ST inverted rows). Tomorrow I may sub single-leg work for some for the accessory pulling. Not sure.

OK, naptime is over, alas! Must run...
High fives all around,
Roz

I have the hips of a 66 year old!!

And with that, Shakira's Hips Don't Lie will be in my head for the rest of the day, except replace Shakira's dancing with images of Commando Tom squatting and lunging. :rolleyes: I share Roz's question: how low can you go (great, add the Limbo song to my brain) without weight? MY DH squats consistently, high weights low reps, but he just naturally has limited range of motion. He is better than he used to be but will probably never be AtoG.

Justine, condolences to your family. You were right to feel pleased with today's workout. You rocked it. I hope you get something in with your suspension trainer and bands, if you so choose. Safe travels.

Roz, our mutual love for hi/lo dancey cardio will never die!!! Does your little sweetie recognize Cathe? I swear, my DD1 is more obsessed with Cathe and Cathe Live than I am. Oh yeah, your lifting wasn't bad either. ;) I forgot to mention yesterday that there are times when I feel like I've upped my cals and am for sure going to have gained, only to find a loss on the scale. Weird huh?

Karen, Lib, what ya'll up to today?

Lib, thanks to you I was inspired to reach for GS Legs today. Justine, I may have referred to RWH as easier but consider me sufficiently humbled after--of all things--the GS Legs floor work. Enough with the hamstring and butt blasters Cathe!!! :)

See you all tomorrow! Keep kicking it!

Lisa

Hey everybody!
Condolences to you, and your family, Justine. I didn't workout this morning. Nothing interested me. Will be doing GSF2 tonight.
Last night was HoCo. (getting better)
Just popping in to say hi, and give a wave. Will post more tomorrow. Work has been a bear, lately. It's eating my lunch! Ouch!
Have a good evening, everyone! Later.

Hi all. I have to admit, I almost didn't workout today. I was stuck on my 70page case work paper. And then I found out blackboard (where we turn in assignments) was going down at 5 tonight for "at least 24 hours".....the paper is due at 5 pm tomorrow. I made it by four minutes! Whew! ....the the prof gave us until Saturday at noon! Haha!

Anyway, I want to thank all of you. Sitting on the couch, I thought about helpful y'all have been. Then I forced myself to at least warm up.....an hour later Gym style chest and tri's done!! Yay!

Forgive me, cannot remember who said they did gs legs....I am actually afraid of that one!!

Tomorrow is the last day of classes!!! Yay!!!! Then finals.

On a side note, the elevator was down again yesterday. ugh! But I tackled those stairs and made it to the third floor before I was breathing hard, those stairs are steep and a pain. Then I found out my professor was in her office, beck down to the second floor.....then discovered as I was going down she was on the other case going upto my office. .....I texted her at that point!

I may take tomorrow as a rest day, depends on how I feel after I get home. Did I say my boss is closing up shop? Tomorrow is the last day. I des test managerial accounting, so I'm not going to miss this job.

Justine, I'm so sorry about your Moms cousin, sending you and your family prayers. As for squat stance, I do also tend to go wider and turn my feet out because it feels better, but I still can't get things to feel balanced and comfortable, but the saying is NOT " no comfort, no gain" Haha!sounds like you had a great wo! Lisa...the vision of me compared to Shakira is DISTURBING!! I wish my hips were as flexible as hers, it would definitely help squatting!! Roz, I'm not sure about ROM. I do have a lot of hip arthritis and I think that affects ROM. I usually have some difficulty walking after sitting and it takes several steps to walk normally, so I think that's a factor. It was less difficult just a couple of years ago, so as I suspected...OLD AGE SUCKS! Wow girl, you definitely knocked out some serious reps, congrats!! I'm definitely feeling lat doms today,and I love it!! You may have that feeling tomorrow! All part of developing the old "cobra hood"!! Karen. I hope works gets better!! Look on the bright side...some day you will be old like me and those days will be a memory!!! Lib..cudos for winning the mental war and working out, despite the "shoulder devil" trying to talk you out of it! Good luck on finals!! Night all!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.