Men’s Opinions on Women

You seem like a sweet guy. I wonder if your wife thinks the same of you.
Recently my best friend of 12 years said it wouldn't be too bad if we dated. He out does me on the common sense end of things so maybe that would be a good match. I don't find myself walking all over him. So maybe that wouldn't happen? Just as long as he is a strong "pilot". lol.
He told me the other day that he's known since we were 7 years old that we would end up spending the rest of out lives together and I'd be his wife. How cute it that? lol.
~Reece Out~

Wow Reece, that is really sweet. I can't speak from experience, but I don't think it's a bad idea to date a friend. It seems that many people worry that if things don't work out, the friendship will be ruined. But you also have to consider what you might be missing if you don't try it. Also, I think when people are really good friends, they can remain friends if a romantic relationship doesn't work out. Just my opinion!

I think the best thing for you to do before you get married is read Dr. Laura's "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands." It is better to read it BEFORE you get married than 15 years later when you are wondering why your husband is leaving you. There are many times in reading this book when I said, "OMIGOD, that is me." The stories are from real-life men and want THEY want from their wives. I can't tell you how many people have called into her show saying how the book has saved marriages.

I know many of you out there do not care for Dr. L. but PLEASE don't comment on the book UNLESS you have read it because otherwise you cannot have any truthful input.

Reece, Your comment, "My best friend of 12 years" tells me you're on target with him.

I wouldn't have consider dating someone that wasn't a friend, or marring someone that wasn't my best friend. If I go bowling, camping, or any activity I enjoy, I want my best friend there to talk to and hang out with. Because My best friend happens to be My Wife. I believe it makes for a better marriage for both of us. I hope for you the happiness we have found.

I plan on staying with her til I'm 93.8 years old. That's when that quiz I took said I pass on. LOL

I don't have any opinion on Dr. Laura whatsoever because I've never listened to her but I have a tough time believing that reading a book can improve a marriage. If it were that easy and simple, somebody would have figured it out and there wouldn't be such a high divorce rate.

And, IMHO, the title is demeaning to men, don't you think? Catchy, but demeaning.

Like I said, if you haven't read the book, please refrain from commenting.

All you have to do is listen to Dr. Laura for PROOF that is helping marriages survive. She constantly reads letters on air from women who have read the book, taken the advice and how taking that advice, the marriages have improved. Don't judge a book by it's title!

Check out drlaura.com and find the "Letters from Listeners" tab and you will see how her book has improved marriages. Here is one I cut and pasted from her website:

Dear Dr. Laura,

I have wanted to write and thank you for a long time. Me and my husband have been married 23 years, and for a majority of them I was not nice. I treated him terrible. I read your book about a year and could not believe how true it was. I applied everything you stated in that book (Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands). Things have been wonderful between us. I have two children (well adults now) 19 and 20. I wrote both of them letters with an apology on how I treated their father. I let them know what a wonderful husband and father he is and was. That I was totally wrong.

I just wish I had this book 23 years ago. I believe every woman should read it and apply it to their marriage. I also believe it should be part of pre-marital counseling.

Thank you again with all my heart.

Debbie

I agree that reading one book cannot save a marriage, but if you are willing to apply the advice and change your attitude, absolutely it can. You have to be humble enough to change yourself. A book I highly recommend is "His Needs, Her Needs." I have never read Dr. Laura before. Isn't she the one who wrote a book about how sex is a woman's duty to her husband and you need to give it up whenever he wants it? I agree and think he should give it up to me, too! :9

You're not gonna convince me a book is going to fix a marriage.
It takes two to tango and make things work. You have to understand. I was married for years to an abusive husband. All that time he told me I was the problem. I continually tried to fix myself any way I could to please him. Well, guess what, it never got any better and I went through years of anxiety attacks because I couldn't make it work. I fixed myself when I went through counseling and was awakened to his abusive nature and divorced him.

Another comment about the title, if I ever saw my now DH reading a book entitled "The Proper Care and Feeding of Wives", that would really hurt! It's like calling your mate a thing.

Your ex is a d*#!, but you can't tell the rest of us that there isn't information out there, maybe in a book, that will enrich and enhance our marriages.

Re Dr. Laura:

I've never heard of her so I looked her up. Her listeners might be surprised to learn that Dr. Laura herself is a divorcee. She began dating her second husband, Dr. Lew Bishop, while he was still married. They lived together for several years before marrying. Although she admonishes working mothers, she worked part-time after her son, now 14, was born. She preaches about the importance of family but has been long estranged from her own mother and sister.

Overall she sounds like a good person, (reading the rest of her Bio) she just doesn't practice what she preaches. LOL

The complete write up is located at: http://www.horizonsfoundation.org/programs/press/drlaurabio.php

LOL! that is so funny! I have never listened to her before and am not sure I will. Ever. But we are all hypocrites. I do not want my kids doing ANY of the things that I was doing in my b.c. days, even though they will have to make mistakes to learn. I wish I could keep them in a bubble.....

In addition to that, Bill, I believe that there has been some question as to whether or not Dr. Laura is REALLY a doctor.

Her prefix "Doctor" comes from a Ph.D. in physiology, not psychology (although she also has a license in counseling).

Physiology:
1. The biological study of the functions of living organisms and their parts.
2. All the functions of a living organism or any of its parts.

Dananmis, you're right! LOL

Interesting how whenever her name comes up she always gets bashed. You are just quoting the MSM perception of her. If you EVER listened to her, you would not be making negative statements such as this. She NEVER worked while her son was out of school. She did work while he was in school. She believes that is acceptable. Yes, she is divorced and may have lived with her husband. However, unlike most people she knows the true meaning of foregiveness (4 R's of forgiveness-true remorse, repent, take responsibility and do NOT repeat) and I am sure she has atoned for her sins in her own way. We don't know why she is estranged from her family. She has the decency not to speak about private matters. She does say that parents can do things to "lose their parent card." Who knows, maybe her mother did something that in her mind was grounds for losing that card. I know my father lost his when he abandoned me at age 7. By the way, her mother has since died.

She is a doctor of physiology and was a marriage and family therapist for years.

She does a great service to those who need moral guidance; something this country is in great need of.

Interesting how someone who is only trying to do GOOD gets bashed. Shame on you.

Doctor of physiology. Okay, now I get the title.

IMHO, if a man and woman have a partnership that is based respecting one another and communicating their wants and needs, why do they need a book? IMHO, instead of reading...they should be talking.

Different strokes for different folks, I say. If you feel like you need a book...go for it.

"She does a great service to those who need moral guidance; something this country is in great need of."

I thought I was reading about someone who sounded like a good relationship counselor. Then I saw that she gives moral guidance. Now I'm confused. What did I miss?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.