Men’s Opinions on Women

Arogerson, I wasn’t putting her down, I was just posting facts. The same information can be found on other sites about her. She may give out great information, like I said, I’m not one of her listener.

I personally would rather take advise from a person that walks the walk and talks the talk. I defiantly wouldn’t make a life decision based on a radio talk show, a book, or LOL a chat forum. If a couple needs help, there are professionals that can help in a more personal one on one way.

She does walk the walk and talk the talk. Hypocrisy is the act of pretending to have beliefs, virtues and feelings that one does not truly possess. We all have done things in the past we regret. If she is not doing those things NOW, then she is not being hypocritical.

Who is talking about making a life decision? I merely suggested those contemplating marriage read her book. Here are a couple tidbits I learned: 1) Make love to your husband even if you're not "in the mood" - because it won't take long and you will be in the mood. 2) Kiss your husband when he gets home from work. 3)The MOOD of the household is set by the woman, if the woman is happy, generally the kids and the husband will be happy. Simple easy things one can do to foster a loving relationship.

Phew! It is getting hot in here! Everyone is entitled to express their own views and opinions however much someone else may disagree with them. We are all capable of making educated decisions based upon facts or feelings we have. that being said....
Dr Laura actually is right about the tone of the house. If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy.
That's all I got to say about that.

Bill, I think you would be ill-advised to avoid an advisor who has had made mistakes. The key is to learn from your mistakes, and the kind of person who makes a good advisor has usually done so. Personally, I'd rather have an advisor who has learned from her mistakes than to have one who has never made a mistake.

As far as making life decisions based upon books, many excellent therapists recommend certain books to their patients. And a good book can be very helpful, especially to many people who can't afford to pay for therapy, which is very expensive.

Having said that, I know nothing about Dr. Laura except that I don't like the titles of her books and think that the idea that the woman sets the mood for the household and that you should have sex when you don't feel like it sounds a bit ridiculous, if not sexist, to me.

I didn't say she was being hypocritical, she just lived a different life than what she advises others to live.

As far as "Make love to your husband even if you're not "in the mood". That wouldn't be making love, that's just having sex. I want my wife to be in the mood, so it will be making love.

"The MOOD of the household is set by the woman", Wow you didn't know my Dad. Nobody was happy if he was unhappy. LOL I believe the mood of the house can be set by anyone who lives there. (Have you ever had a mood change because the kids were acting up?)

From what I read of her advise, most of it is really good, but she is wrong on these two points. LOL

"You would be ill-advised to avoid an advisor who has had made mistakes."

Nancy, you're right.

I would still rather talk with a minister, parent or a friend, someone that knows you, and your situation, over a book. it's a preference thing............

I think the suggestion to have sex with your husband cause it won't last long is pretty funny! Maybe she's talking from her own experience, LOL! Sorry, that seemed like a wierd statement to make.

I still think communication is best but everyone needs to find their own way.

Your quote pretty much sums up the best advice we could get for the last 20 posts of this thread!;-)
ETA Nancy's quote, sorry!

The original poster of this thread said this:

I’m single and still young and would like to be married someday. I know marriage is work, but I think it’s possible for truly compatible man and woman to find balance and compromise without losing their individuality and constantly struggling to be the boss.

I merely suggested she buy a book to help her with some issues she may encounter during her marriage. For some reason every time I post something on this forum it always seems to get away from the main topic. SO BORING..............and unintellectual.

I'm outta OPEN DISCUSSION and I ain't coming back.

Bill, it can be very helpful to talk to someone who knows you for everyday problems, but for the kind that really threaten the marriage, marriage counselors really know a lot more than we do. This kind of work cannot be done by a layman! I've used family counselors and I have the utmost respect for their expertise. They can change lives dramatically. In my opinion, a person with a serious problem would be better off reading a book by someone who knows what they're talking about than talking to a friend.

Nancy, I completely agree that a counselors is best, if there is a lack of funds like was mentioned, I would opt for a minister, parent or a friend, over a impersonal book. It's a preference thing. What ever works best for the person or people involved.

Nancy,

When I was taking my Masters in Psychology classes one of the things we learned was that statistically speaking, most couples don't seek marriage counseling until it's almost too late. As I recall, 80% of these marriages were at the point of no return by the time they started counseling. The cause was attributed to letting resentments fester until there was irreparable harm.

This was back in 2000, mind you. I don't know if the statistics have gotten better or worse.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.