Lifting like girls

Tom, I love to eat the fish. It's catching and cleaning them that gets me. I don't mind cooking it. Sounds like you're getting some much needed R&R. Enjoy!

Karen, 4pm and off from work? Slacker alert! :) Really I'm thinking "why did she stay so late?" I'm telling you, something about you engineers... Sounds like you're in for a real tough surprise starting with Week 3. It's cool that Justine can give you a heads up for what's coming your way.

Justine, I don't do AB a lot either. Such a dread factor and yet I feel amazing when I'm done. I guess it's because I realize it didn't kill me. Did you seriously do the entire GG workout after your metabolite leg workout? You are insane! I change my vote that the craziest commando award goes to YOU!!!! I have a feeling you won't regret preordering this new series. I can't wait.

Melissa, what's your profession? Nursing or something medical? Those are long hours! I love XTrain but couldn't do it with LIS either because there are just too many LIS workouts that I don't love. What Justine said about the rule is true, you have to report all dating activity here. I don't know if Tom cares much but Justine and Karen and I are longtime marrieds so we enjoy the updates.

Has anyone seen Bad Moms? I don't know if it's in the UK yet but my daughters' pediatrician said to grab a drink, take some girlfriends, and watch the movie. Sounds like a must see.

Today I did GS CST. I didn't really want to but I wanted to see if I could outdo myself from last week's showing since I did it last week and felt pathetic. Glad to report that I had a much more powerful day with it today.

Today my workout was:
Sumo Squat
Dumbbell Walking Lunge
Stiff Legged Deadlift
Stair Calves

Yesterday was:
Medium Grip Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Flye
Standing Dumbbell shoulder Press
Skull Crusher
Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise
EZ Curl
Hanging Knee Raise
Like Justine stated, it's easy now, but just you wait. I do feel a "just you wait," looming in the background. But it's been awhile since I've done any real bodybuilding lifting. This feels good, for now.
I do feel like a slacker, Lisa. It's been so long since I've been home at 4:00pm. It's great to workout this early.
Keep the romance stories coming, Lib. I've been married so long, I have to live vicariously through others.
Again, welcome Melissa, looks like your kicking some booty, nice job.
Tom, I love fish, I just don't like catching them. They're slimey, and kinda ookie.(I think that's a made up word but you know what I mean)
Justine, as always, you're amazing. Reading your workout made me tired.
A few of my co workers and I were reading about Bad Moms. We've decided it's a must see.
Waving to Roz! Have a great evening, everyone!

Last edited:
Well, I chucked deload week out the window and combined back and chest today. I cut way back on volume , due to time, but ended up going heavy for fewer sets. I had some moments, did a shorter rep on bench at 225# and finished with 195x8..had not done that before! Only did 6 sets of flat bench, and 3 sets of incline 3x8, and raised my weight 10#. This is actually up 40# from what I started doing inclined bench less than a year ago. Back day was pretty much lats only. On my first set of chin ups, I managed 15 reps, I think the most I have done at home using underhand grip. My longest rep sets are usually at work with the neutral grip bar. My next set was a struggling 8, and I finished with 3x10 wide lat pulldowns. 1 set of cable crunches to finish me off! Justine, you are " certifiable"!! Hope your invalid status after leg day is short lived!! (what were you thinking...lol!!) You have earned your title! Karen, gotta remember "ookie"!! I think I know what it means..love the word just never thought I would hear it from our Commando General!! Haha! I should live closer to you and Lisa...I catch and y all eat..kinda symbiosis!! Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Good morning everyone! Did Cardio Supersets this AM from the Low Impact series: those squat thrusts are killers!!

New girl at work is not the best lol. She's...let's say...not the brightest bulb in the pack. One of my patients was choking on water then got scared and started having a panic attack and I was trying to calm her down, and new girl was literally trying to push me out of the way to give the woman water. I'm not usually mean but I yelled at her and told her to leave us. She's an aide so she doesn't have cpr or any medical training, and more water was the last thing this lady needed especially because she was hyperventilating. Ah, the joys of working in healthcare lol!

Tom, I'm the total opposite: I'd rather eat the fish than catch them. My dad is huge into fishing. He's actually going to montauk this weekend on a fishing trip. Can't wait to eat the catch! Awesome work reaching and surpassing your personal bests! Love it!

Justine, I'm enjoying XTrain so far! I've done workouts here and there from it but never a full rotation. LOL I don't see any dates in my near future, but when it happens I will definitely keep you guys posted! That was some killer leg workout you did yesterday. How are the DOMS today? ;)

Lisa, I'm a physical therapist. Haven't seen bad moms yet but I heard it is really funny; I want to see it so badly! Nice job on killing that workout!

Karen, nice workout! And I'm jealous also at you leaving work at 4. Also, ookie is totally a word...even though my autocorrect says otherwise ;)

Waving hi to Lib!!

Have a great day everyone :)

Bad moms is now on my list. I'm supposed to be seeing Ab Fab with girlfriends this week, so I'll mention it to them.

Yes, I hurt. From waist to ankles. All parts. I was supposed to be doing bent over rows today- had to do chest supported rows. I couldn't bend over! And then rear delt flyes.....did them on the bench.
Tom, I had pull ups too- but wide grip. The hardest for me. I did 'some' and then finished off with Lat pull downs, like you did. 15 underhand is impressive.
Your bench is amazing as well. Something I'm working on!
I also had incline DB press and twisting Bicep curls today. Then some push ups. Real body building stuff. I'm loving it.

Melissa - yay, we've a pt amongst us. You'll get all our complaints, you know:p
Now we have quite a lot covered - health, legal, engineering. Sorry I can't add anything!

Lisa, it sounds like you're back on form with gs. Good work!

Karen, nice choice of exercises. It's obvious you know what you're doing.

Waves to Roz and lib

Karen, what Justine said. Sore means you did it right! I thought my workout today was 'easy'...while I was doing it, that is. I've been hurting all day. I have an image of you, Justine, and me all using our walkers today.

Justine, I suck at pull ups but I think wide grip is easiest for me. I always figured it's because I can cheat using more muscle groups with those. Let us know how Ab Fab is. How is your DH doing? You add a lot to this group, particularly by introducing us all to new moves, new programs, and then there's your math skills...counting everything, converting kgs to lbs, etc. Plus you teach us ignorant Americans about the fancier, classier things in life. Did I mention all the new words you teach us, and I find myself using "ou" more often than I should (colour, honour, rumour).

Melissa, I think we can all commiserate about working with, ahem, less than proficient coworkers. Makes you wonder who is making the hiring decisions and what was this person smoking when doing the hiring??? So sorry. Very cool that you are a PT. Lots of years of schooling under your belt (doctor's coat?) for that one. If you've ever got that full of energy from my Wheaties feeling, Cardio Supsersets has 2 of the toughest premixes around: 1) Cardio Supersets + Step (the bonus LIS step routine); 2) Cardio Supersets Extreme (where you repeat most of the supersets).

Tom, wow! You pulled some major weight loads today! You seem to prefer volume but when you go for the fewer rep approach, I am always astounded at your poundage. You should feel majorly accomplished.

Lib, Roz, HI!

Today I did Rock Bottoms and Core Live (7/21/16). Like I said earlier, it felt easy at the time. Nope. It got me and in all the right places!

Good Morning Commandos! Today I tried to combine legs and shoulders, but did no justice to either. I did 7 sets of strict press, nothing remarkable, and 2x12 on side laterals and rear delt flys and finished with 1x30 dumbbell shrugs. For legs I did only 2x8 squats, and 1x30 barbell calf raises, again nothing heavy, just "weenied out"! ( ain't no Justine)!! I will "lick my mental wounds" and try to be better tomorrow....cause it's ARM DAY!! I am prepared to accept any punishment the sisterhood feels just..lol! Make Thursday all it can be ladies! Great w/ o's everyone!

Well, I got my comeuppance today! Deadlifts (4 sets went well), the high bar squats- set 4, rep 13 (superstitious?) and something felt very wrong! I may have to miss squats for a few days....

Lisa, you're too kind! My 'professional' life these days involves tutoring school aged children- today one of my pupils was only 11! The maths wasn't too taxing. Mind you, I have A level chemistry next week (17-18 year old), which taxes my memory a great deal!!!

You've done rock bottoms and core live before, haven't you? Sounds a goody.
DH is not great- still in a full leg brace, essentially immobile. We're back to the consultant next week. So, we've booked some time away. Not sure how he's going to fly (crummy short haul airline!) but we may as well be by a pool immobile....

Tom, I'd like to tell you to get those squats done. But look what it did to me! You'll be back at it tomorrow for arms, I'm sure.

Hope the rest of you are killing it.

Justine, when you write something went very wrong, I hope you didn't mean, very physically wrong. In other words... Are you ok? I didn't know you tutored math and chemistry. You're a star!!! Enjoy your time by the pool. Hubby too, even with his bum leg.

Karen, yes, physically wrong! I think I've trapped a nerve....my hip / back suddenly went 'ping!' I'm hoping it just goes. Lol

Yes, I tutor - mainly maths, but physics too. And now it seems chemistry! It's for a maths student of mine, just a few top up sessions. I also do pro bono work for children who've been in a me out of care and who have gaps in their education. But my favourite pupils are my autistic ones. Amazing minds. It sounds grander than it is - I do no more than a few hours per week!

Got a month until hubby and I go away...but I'm soooo looking forward to it.

How's RP today? Was it upper body or lower? Have you found you've got your 10rm about right? I had to do a bit of adjusting (of my ego?) the first week!!

Happy Friday! I got after it pretty good this morning for arm day, doing 24 sets in typical superset, tri set fashion, skc/dumbbell curls, tri pushdowns/ ez bar curls, kickbacks/hammercurls, and tri crossbody/conc curls. So glad I was able to do 3 sets of ez bar curls. I bumped up these 20# from the 2 sets I did last week and while I could feel it on the tendons, it was not bad at all! I dropped 10# to do the crossbody/conc curls from what I used on the other sets. Hang in there all.....its FRIDAY!!

Great news on the EZ bar / tendon Tom. Cross body triceps can aggravate my elbows - are you ok doing those?

I did a bit of hip mobility stuff this morning, and my hip 'popped' back to normal! Weird. No pain at all.
Kept it safe and did upper body - cable face pulls, wide grip bench, 1 arm rows, hammer curls, tricep o/ h extensions and ab work. Added drop sets to everything, because I was in the mood to!
Going to try lean leg and abs now.....
Then a bike ride to the pub with friends! It may be a more circuitous route home.

Have an amazing weekend my commando buddies xx

Great news, Tom and Justine. Nothing like a tweaked muscle, to ruin your whole day!

Yesterday was:
Incline medium grip bench press
EZ bar seated tricep extensions. (this was different, always done this move with a DB. I like this one)
Dips (damn)
DB upright row (these are easier for me than using a bar. Bar has a tendency to tweak my shoulder, and my right elbow can be a nuisance.
DB hammer curl
Hanging leg raise (what an embarrassment. Glad no one was watching)
Unfortunately, my tweaky right elbow is talking very quietly in the background. It's only when I do curls.

Today will be:
Chest elevated glute bridge
Lying leg curl
Front Squat
High bar squat
Stair calves
All of these exercises have a tendency to kick my butt. Will see how it goes. But for some reason, I love working lower body. Yea, I know.
Have a great weekend!

Justine, phew on you feeling better. I was worried. A bike ride with friends sounds like so much fun. I never get to do stuff like that. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Tom, you're so nice to have sympathy pain and skip legs in honor of Justine. :) Great work today! Keep taking care of that elbow.

Karen, what is it with us and elbows? You, me, Tom. I have a compression elbow sleeve that helps when it's just a little achy. Hanging leg raises are killer on the hip flexors. I'm with you, I love love love leg day. Usually I love it while I'm doing the leg workout but I always feel accomplished after leg day. I think that's where my real affinity for it comes from.

Lib, Melissa, you gals doing well?

Yesterday I did Cardio Circuit Mashup Live (5/26/16). This was a GREAT metabolic scorcher. Today I did GS BSB. Tomorrow will be a random Cathe Live, whatever suits my fancy at the moment.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.