Lifting like girls

Karen, I never hear good things about mammograms, glad I don't have to deal with those(we have prostates...those are fun too). Lisa, snotty gremlins are no fun...but still cute! Have to treat them like lepers though because they are toxic as many a good adult has experienced a "near death " crises caused by an adorable snot factory! I fell off the "good eats only " wagon, landed with a thud, so punished myself with cardio! 20 min on the airdyne, slower than I used to do it, but still really felt it. I read an article that stated men over 40 (cleared that hurdle) should NOT,( I repeat..NOT) do cardio...probably my favorite article of ALL time! I didn't really read the entire article, but the thesis was that it decreased growth hormone...do NOT wanna do that!! Still, I hitched up my sweats and did 20 min...please, hold your applause, not ready for the Tour de France! I finished with 3 sets of heavy cable crunches and that was it...official end of deload week....YAY!! I plan to get back to some serious @$$ kicking tomorrow, not sure exactly what, but will still include a bodypart/day and either accessory part or finishers or bike to decrease my HGH lol! Hope today finds ya'll healthy, wealthy, and wise! Have a goodun!

Last edited:
I put a pencil to a way to hit everything 2x/week and I came up with a plan. I decided to do:
Monday back and legs
Tuesday shoulders and bi's
Wednesday Chest and tri's
Thursday Legs and back
Friday Bi's and tri's
Saturday chest and shoulders
Most bodyparts will get 2 days rest, not counting the fact that tri's get some work on shoulder day and bi's on back day etc Sat will be tough since front delts get work on chest day, especially inclined stuff. Not sure when to get posterior chain things in, maybe on some back days or leg days? I am going to try to hit a little core work on most days at the end of the w/o. I am going to try to do NOTHING on Sundays and rest...hopefully!
Today was 3 sets of pullups, 3 sets of pullovers, 3 sets of 1 arm cable pulls and a finishing set of db rows. For legs, 3 sets of bench squats, 3 sets of gob squats, 2 sets of sumo squats and 2 sets of db static lunges, For calves, 3 sets of bb calf raises and 3 sets of single leg calf raises and finished the w/o with a long set of cable crunches. Monday iron work DONE!!!, leg day even! Do Monday right my friends.

Tom, that rotation looks awesome! What's your rep range?

Karen, how ya doin'?

Today was leg day, a Fitness Blender lower body routine. Got the job done, no doubting that!

Lol, Now it's back to tending to my "snot goblins." My kids have no problem coughing and sneezing right in my face. But, as a sign of true motherhood, I don't even care! I even enjoy snotty kisses since it's only a matter of time before they think they're too cool for Mom

Hey all! Today was: PHA3, what a great workout. Love those PHA's. I doubled up on a couple of workouts this week, seems I got off kilter somewhere. Tom, your schedule looks great. Years ago, I did two body parts a day. Went something like: Shoulders and legs on Monday, back and biceps on Tuesday, chest and triceps on Wednesday. Thursday was a rest day, then Friday same as Monday, and on and on and on. Resting or cardio every three days, and just cycling through the days. Working every body part twice a week. Changing it up every six weeks.
Enjoy those snotty kisses, Lisa. You're right, they don't last forever.
Busy day at work, I'm glad. I'm giving intermittent fasting a go, (I need to try everything) and today is a fast day. It's not as daunting as I thought it would be. So, I'm off to the shower, and my bedtime reading. "A Man Called Ove." Good book. Take care!

Shoulders and bi's today, 20 sets shoulders, 10 sets bi's and a long set of inclined sit ups. Shoulders were 5 sets strict press, 3 sets db shoulder press, 3 sets of seated side laterals, 3 sets of rear delt flys and 3 sets of declined db front raises (new for me), and 3 long sets of db shrugs. For bi's, 3 sets of increasing weight ez bar curls, 2 sets of db curls, 2 sets of conc curls, 2 sets of decline curls and a finisher set of 21's. For abs, 1x50 inclined sit ups. This took about an hour, and it felt good, or at least it felt effective.
Karen, the rotation you did sounds really good, but I'm such a creature of habit that the rotating day off might drive me nuts (or nuttier). It seems funny to me that my ADD self craves structure! No one on the planet is LESS capable of organization than ME! Some things are difficult to explain.
Lisa, my rep range really varies. Today most sets were 8-10, but on shrugs, it was x30 x25 x20. I'm trying to go heavy so usually it is 8-10, sometimes on the last set I will try to fry myself and get to the 12 rep range and sometimes on the last set I only get to 6 or so if I fail. I try to make the last set at least near fail (except those exercises that may cause death like skullcrushers and benchpress if you fail!) I'm off until Thursday this week, so enjoying not lifting at 5 AM!!! Do it right friends!

Karen, those PHA workouts are some of my faves. Cathe at her best. Lots of IF Believers on this forum, so why not? I recently thumbed through Blue Zones Lifestyle. ..based on the Blue Zones studies which identify regions where people live healthfully into the 100s...and the idea of "eating windows" is a very common theme. Totally debunks the graze/ eat small meals all day long theory (debunks it if you agree with the Blue Zones research, anyway).

Tom, I'm the same way! There is an element of fear with skull crushers and chest presses that keeps me from going overly aggressive with the weight loads! 8-10 reps on those for sure. My DH did a program a couple years ago called 5x5, which was all about low reps and just basic moves. He got awesome results from it but why am I thinking that your workout ADHD would make you real bored real fast?!?! I suffer from the same condition so I can call you out on it

Today was Fitness Blender upper body strength. My pint sized medical patients are slowly but surely on the mend. Unfortunately my DD2 has entered "threenager" mentality, and she's not even 3 yet!!!! Eek

Lisa, I read the Blue Zones book. It was very interesting. Some of those people lived on cheese and wine. All sorts of stuff that we have been told is "bad!"
I think I have a mild case of workout ADHD. I read in forums or blogs of people that have done a "rotation" for a year, and still loved it. Ninety days is my max, and even then I'm looking around for something more exciting. Today was "Chest Shredder," it was a good workout, but heavy on the push-ups. Not a lot of shredding going on.
Good to hear the kiddo's are on the mend. Aarrgghh, threenager, ouch.
Nice shoulder work, Tom. Show them who's boss! That's about it! Until tomorrow!

I must have done something yesterday, but didn't feel anything while lifting, but about 2 hours after yesterday's w/o, my back felt like it was having a seizure! Frickin thing is still sore, not sure if it was overhead stuff from yesterday, or the inclined sit ups, but I did something wrong! Today, however, was mostly flat on my back stuff like bench and skullcrushers. I did a lot of volume, 12 sets of flat bench followed by 3 sets of isos, then 3 sets of inclines followed by 2 sets of isos. For tri's, 4 sets of skullcrushers, 3 sets of pushdowns and 2 sets of single arm kickbacks, bracing with the other arm. I didn't do any ab work today for fear of aggravating something, and tomorrow is back and legs again, safe to say NO deads tomorrow and probably light leg stuff. My last day of freedom, back to 5AM tomorrow....GEEZE, that may be fatal!! Happy hump day all!

Today was "Total Body Tamer." Yea I know, what's up with the names. Good workout, but I HATE burpees, and there were 50 of those bad boys. Today is another fast day, and this one isn't going as well as the last one. I'm not really hungry, I just think I am, and I'm jonesin' for some chocolate. That's about it! Four day weekend, that I am thrilled about. Tomorrow is the big Dr. appt. Guess I will find out If I am totally falling apart. Until tomorrow.....

I turned a bleak day into a really good arm day!. My back was really sore this morning, even my left leg ached and I thought "this ain't good". I decided to lighten up and go a little long. I made it a 15 12 10 day and used 40# db for all the db work until I got to conc curls and thought by the end of bi's I might not be able to swing that one and dropped to 35's. Tri's led off, skullcrushers x15x12x10, pushdowns (dropped 10# on these x15x12x10, single arm kickbacks x15x12x10. For bi's ez bar curls (80) x15x12x10, db curlsx15x12x10 and conc curls x15x12x10. I was worried that the ez bar curls might be a problem as you have to stabilize your back, but I kept is as strict as possible and tried to keep my back out of it and it was ok. We are going to visit son 1 tomorrow so probably no w/o and I think that might be a good thing, will try to rest things over the weekend and see how it goes. It's FRIDAY!!! YAY! Have a great weekend lifters.

Tom, you slept in yesterday but killed it today! Nice! Since you like college football, do you like college basketball? All that NCAA tournament jazz starts soon...

Anyone watching the Olympics? I just can't seem to get into it this year

Karen, fingers crossed for some good medical results. You are so fit, hopefully your body will show off your hard work. I hate burpees too! On fast days, do you get to eat anything at all? Can you drink fluids?

Yesterday was legs and today was Jabs and Kicks Live. Been doing some attorney work at home the past couple of days. That plus the kids = no time for anything else! Can't wait for the day off on Monday, mostly because my DH doesn't have to work that day. Yay!

Take care, my friends

Good morning ladies! Lisa, I'm a Kansas basketball fan, son 1 got me into that. When he was born, his Dr. was a KU grad and he told me after the delivery that he branded a big KU on his butt....I think it took lol! And, like you, I cant get into the winter Olympics, love the summer games but was never a winter sports fan (Karen is giving us the "evil eye" bout now!!) When snow comes, I want to go somewhere warm. Went ice skating once as a kid. lasted 3 minutes, ripped the skates off and put my feet near the heater they had at the rink....was NOT my thing!
I could not stay away this morning, so before we left I did light chest and shoulders. 5 sets of bench, 3 sets at 175 and 2 sets at 135, trying to emphasize the stretch at the low end...tough for me due to limited mobility. For shoulders I just did 5 sets of seated BB press, 3 sets at 95 and only 1 set at 115, 1 mobility set at 45 to start things off. I wasn't real sure how these would go, but seated didn't seem to be an issue. I really think the tweek came on inclined sit ups, but who knows! We decided to come home this evening (after the televised KU game) so we could do some stuff here tomorrow, but I am going to make tomorrow a rest day to comply with my new schedule......I think? Enjoy your weekend friends!

Tom, I bet that sly Dr put a little KU tattoo on your son's cute little baby butt, huh? Geez , you can't say no to that! I think sports are more enjoyable when you have a team you love. We used to be Phoenix Suns fans but man has that been depressing over the years! Lol that you can't stay away from the weights. I'm wondering if you will actually rest tomorrow. ... Glad your back is feeling better.

Karen, do you actually like the winter Olympics? I know you like to ski yourself but do you like watching other people do it? Like Tom, I prefer drinking hot chocolate by the heater over doing winter sports. :)

Today was Buff Upper Body Live from this past Thursday. It was t-o-u-g-h!!! Great burn. Be back next week. Probably after the day off on Monday. Make it a great weekend!

I like the skiing, snowboarding and all the ice skating. Never did get into the Summer Olympics. I was always outside in the summer, no time for TV.
Took Friday off, yesterday was Shoulder Pressure. The usual overhead press, yada, yada, yada. Nothing to write home about, but, it wasn’t burpees!!! I remember living in Washington, and taking the kids to a water park. It was about 60-65 degrees and everyone was having a great time, except me. I spent the whole day in the hot tub. DH had to mind the kids. Every time I got out of the hot tub, I thought I was going to freeze to death. So there I was, blue lips and all. It has to be hot as hell for me to swim. On occasion we would rent a houseboat at Lake Powell, but it had to be in late August or even September, so the lake had time to warm over the Summer. I know, I am definitely a candya$$ desert rat. Don’t like the cold much any more, except to ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back and legs today....sort of, 3 sets of chin ups, pullovers and lat pulldowns. For legs, 3 sets of gob squats. sumo squats and static lunges, finishing with 3 sets of 1 leg calf raises. Everything was light and short on legs, may have to go to a "bone cracker" and see what's up with the back. Still not right, and I don't want to cause a bigger problem by being stupid! (I excel at stupid).
Karen, I cracked up on the blue lips! I'm with you, I don't want to swim bad enough to be cold....no polar bear club members here!!
Lisa, I've seen the commercials....YOU DONT GET A DAY OFF!!! (such is motherhood!)
Hope the week goes well for all Commandos!

Chest and bi's. 8 set pyramid of flat bench and 7 sets of bi's, total time about 40 minutes. Nothing noteworthy, kept the ezbar curls on the lighter range, 3x10, 2 sets of alt db curls and 2 sets of conc curls. Still haven't done any abs, may try to do some Thursday when I have more time and have a couple of more days to see how things are going. My basketball team is going for a NCAA record 14 conference championships in a row...never been done and now they are tied with UCLA at 13. It will be tough, but a big win by 30 over Oklahoma last night really helps!
Off to work, have a great Tuesday friends!

Tom, way to keep cranking out those workouts! Hooray for KU. I will root for them since I couldn't care less about any other team. :)

Karen, WTH, did you get a snow dump yesterday? That will give you blue lips for sure! Loved that story, I can sooooo relate. It's freezing temps here but no snow except in the mountains.

Yesterday was Jessica Smith TV on YouTube "Leg Day", a goodie. Today was a short cardio plus Fitness Blender upper body strength.

Have a great Tuesday!

Well, I messed up my own program! Yesterday was supposed to be shoulders and bi, but I did chest and bi....idiocracy, the struggle is real!! Never looked, just thought it was chest and bi, therefore today was shoulders and tri's. 8 sets of presses, 6 sets seated BB strict press and 2 sets of seated db press, 2 sets each of side laterals x 12, rear delt flys x 12 (I used my bike seat to support my chest on these so no lower back stress), and alt front raise ( 1 standing, 1 seated). For tri's, 3 x 12 skullcrushers and 4 x 8 tri pushdowns. I was looking at a program that claims to put 30# on your bench in 6 weeks and I think I am going to try it starting next week. You bench M W FRI and do upper body accessories on those days, leaving Tues and Sat for lower body work. Monday is a heavy bench day with Wed being light and Fri medium, Thursday is a rest day. It is all calculated off your 1rm. Worth a try I guess! Bout it for me, off to work and trying to avoid the flu! Hit it hard my friends!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.