Lifting like girls

LOL, Karen, you didn't need to 'splain yourself to me! I don't quite have Lisa's Lucy streed cred, but I also had a Lucy-loving mom growing up! :)
(Don't worry, Justine -- you're missing a few things like PB cups and I Love Lucy living in the UK, but that's about it.)
Mrsditchen ....grab a barbell and "come on down"! I have learned tons from these ladies!!
Justine might even say you've 'learned tonnes'! ;)
And yeah, come one, come all, commando!

Lisa, AOLIH totally gave me the Live itch. Does it kinda read like a Live workout, or was that just my imagination?
Oh, and don't you dare undermine your hard workouts! If I did a week of your non-rotation rotation, I would be seriously humbled in the cardiovascular and endurance department! During AOLIH yesterday, I was like, uh, we have HOW MANY sumo squats left?!? :eek: Better go, um, check the... um... make sure the auto shutoff on the coffee maker is working properly? ;)
Also, I definitely have ab DOMS today from XTrain Core #1.
Karen, does that mean I need HoCo?

OK, this morning was deadlifts and I was ON FIRE. Do you every have those days where you just feel so strong and your reps are all clean? Maybe it was the extra sugary/extra coffee I had before? Is that why my hands are still shaking? :p My new belt DEFINITELY had a lot to do with helping me keep the reps clean and my core braced/stable.
I did 4" deficit deadlifts (stood on step platform) 8x6 200# in 9 min 25 sec. RAWR!
Then a superset of BB strict presses (9 sets 6-10 reps, first at 65# then 50#) and BB EZ curls (5x10 at 50# then 3x6-8 at 60#). Finally a superset of 2x30 double DB one-leg RDLs and 2x30 Palloff presses. Hello, cardio! :)

High fives to all commandos everywhere!!
I have to say, I'm excited for ICE. After GSF1 (which I'm scheduled to complete just before Christmas), I'll probably sit around and eat bonbons for a week or so -- to build up my glycogen stores, ya know -- and maybe do a bit of ICE/cardio/bodyweight/metcon stuff in there -- before starting Unapologetically Powerful in the New Year.

Oh! So as much as my daughter was building me up about my heavy barbell on cleans last week, when she saw me using my EZ curl bar loaded with a few 10's today, she said, 'that's a little barbell with little weights'. Yeah, yeah, I get it, you're not impressed, small one. ;)

Last edited:
Good morning everyone!
My Mother loved Lucille Ball. Like Lisa, I think I have seen every episode numerous times.
Last night I did GSF, totally fried myself. Loved it. Front squats, back lunges, planks etc. This morning my legs felt like totem poles. But, I did Great Glutes, and now I may have to hang a disabled placard in my car. What was I thinking? Anyway, tonight will be HoCo. Haven't decided which one. In answer to your question, Roz. Check out You Tube, there are some previews of HoCo there. I don't dare recommend it any more. It seems to get harder every time I do it.
Good day, everybody!

I hate to even mention my w/o now!! Today was leg day, not my strong point. I started with gob squats 50# kb 8x8 next I did barbell reverse lunges 85# 4x6 then I just left the 85 on and did 2 sets of deep barbell squats x8 ( felt freakin heavy at this point)! Then was Romanian deads 135 4x8 and finished with 3 sets of barbell calf raises with 155# x30 x25 x20. I hit abs with 100 ab wheel roll outs 30 x25 x20x15 x10. I have the feeling I will feel like Karen and need the special license plate! I got my "thutt thumped" Justine..you need to whip some Benny Hill or Monty Python on us!! Only fair!!

Ok, so I got my dh to explain Lucy to me (he was at university in the US, early 80s). He did say that I wouldn't 'get' it!!!! Benny Hill noooooo how embarrassing. He's awful. Please, the UK can do better than that. Can't we? Maybe not.

I managed some thrusts with the heaviest I can get my BB. Am going to buy some more plates - at last, a reason.

Roz, I'm impressed with deficit DLs. Looks like I need a belt, and to start drinking cawfeee (of course, I drink tea!)

Karen. I hope it really hurts. You deserve it to doing great glutes with already sore legs. Tom, too.

Lisa, Roz is right - you put me to shame with your endurance.

Now I'm getting a bit fed up of not lifting heavy ( Lisa, you asked if it was a deload week - not really, just the middle phase of gsf2, all power / metabolic moves, nothing heavy), but I just have 2 workouts left to do before I'm back on the heavy stuff. Yey. I hope gsf has worked, and my #s are up from phase 1. I kinda miss DOMs as well.

Ok, so I got my dh to explain Lucy to me (he was at university in the US, early 80s). He did say that I wouldn't 'get' it!!!! Benny Hill noooooo how embarrassing. He's awful. Please, the UK can do better than that. Can't we? Maybe not.

Justine, extended laughter over this one. Hey, where's your patriotism? Shakespeare, the Royals, all things topped-with-cream, Wimbledon. Things to be proud of. :) Cool that your DH has spent some time in the US. May I ask where he studied here? I wouldn't judge if you skipped the last 2 workouts and jumped back into heavy. Sometimes we have itches that just need to be scratched.

Karen, I'm with Roz. Woman, how are you not in a wheel chair right now??? Are you at least sitting in one of those inflatable medical donut thingies? You have scared me out of my wits about HoCo, BTW...it just gets harder?

Oh Roz, I want to give your little sassy darling a kiss. What a delight! Yeah I find myself comparing all Cathe DVDs to Live workouts. She has said in the past that she tests things out with her studio fitness classes, so it makes sense. RAWR and Raise the Roof on your awesomeness today. Wicked platform DLs! Can I get some of your coffee before tomorrow's workout? Look forward to your UPworkout reviews. You are a Commando trailblazer with all the new programs you do.

Tom, how's your thutt? Medical intervention needed? Super leg workout today!

Another exhausted morning so I did KCM Trim Down which is boxing + compound moves targeted at LB. Here's hoping I can muster energy for LIHI BSB tomorrow.

Lisa

Lucy is great! Given the era, when women weren't supposed to be funny, she was a real trailblazer.
But, seriously, Lisa, the royal family? I think Benny Hill is preferable! My hubby was in San Diego (ucsd?), studying (wait for the irony)....English literature! His final dissertation was why Wilbur Smith's Eagle in the Sky is a better love story than Romeo and Juliet. He has a wicked sense of humour!

No way am I missing 2 planned workouts (you knew that), so today was gsf2. I managed 6x4 double DB overhead presses @15kg, dropping to 6 reps@ 12kg, 6@11kg, 8 + 8@10kg. It may not sound much, but it was probably my best performance yet. I'm determined to get proper shoulder muscles! They were supersetted with jumping lunges. Then some Turkish get ups. BB thrusts, which were supposed to be bw, but I used 100kg (4x10) thanks to Roz. Finally t-spine rolls and shin boxes. I ended up doing better than I thought I would, since I was out walking for 6 hours yesterday.

Looking forward to a bit of lwf2 tomorrow.

Hope you're all working hard xx

Hi all,
Quickie check-in for me today -- I did Roman's Empire (it's LWF1 -- is that Roman's Revenge?) DBs under 30. Great. Kinda fudged the end as I was running out the door and my daughter was jumping on me during pushups.
I think I need a rest or yoga day tomorrow. More often than not, I do a week's worth of GSF1 workouts in 6 days (rather than 7), so I take a rest day if I feel it coming. Maybe yoga tomorrow if I have time.

Oh, Justine, I felt done with GSF2 Phase 2 after 2.5-3 weeks. Lisa can attest, I almost skipped the fourth week. GSF1 Phase 2 is way more fun, IMHO.

Yeah, let's all drink seven double espressos with glucose concentrate, slap on some pink powerlifting belts, and wreak some havoc! :)
Do you think TJs would host us? Maybe we can just eat choc PB cups and spoonfuls of Speculoos with our coffee, as I don't actually really like sugar in my coffee.
Tom, you can set up a bench press station on the freezer chest and insist you don't know those crazy ladies over there, OK?
High fives all around,
Roz

Took today as a vacation day from work. Spent it, shopping, lunching and munching with my sisters.
This morning was RWH Circuit Upper Body, tonight will be GSF.
Will have more tomorrow. Hope you all had a great day!
Keep up the good work everybody! Oh, and my legs are feeling better today.

Roz, love it, let's do it! I don't like sugar in my coffee, either. I'm in.
Justine, I love San Diego, one of my favorite places.
What did you not plan today; Lisa?
I know you kicked it today, Tom. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Justine, yes Lucy was a trailblazer for women in Hollywood. She had talent and brains--the complete package. UCSD is the "state" school and USD is a religiously affiliated school. Nothing wrong with religiously affiliated schools but I'm assuming it was UCSD. LOVE the dissertation topic. I'm not a Royal watcher myself but they do attract a lot of attention to jolly old England. In the list of great things in the UK, let's swap in fish & chips for the Royals. Sound good? Guess we should also add Harry Potter to the list. :) Great workout today and I admire your dedication to completing your plan. You crack me up!

Karen, LIHI UB Circuit is one of my favorites, particularly the premix with just UB and core mixed in. What a fun sounding day! Do your sisters live local to you?

Roz, high fives as always. I'm sure your yoga "rest days" are akin to Justine's 10 mile walk "rest days." You ladies are intense!

Karen, Roz, I like my coffee black as well. I am a huge huge Dutch Bros fan, and just found out they have K cups coming out that are compatible to the Keurig 2.0. I plan on stocking up, although $2 for a hot Americano isn't so bad. When shall we do our coffee/TJ's meet up? After the holidays? :)

Tom, waves to you! Hope your day was a goodie.

I did LIHI BSB. The DVD calls it Back Biceps Shoulders, but let's be frank that it's Back Shoulders Biceps since she works Shoulders in the middle. :) At the very end of the workout after the final Crazy 8 burn set, Cathe high fives the camera and says "oh yeah!" This always reminds me of Sister Mary Katherine Gallagher from Saturday Night Live. It's worth doing this workout just for that moment!

Lisa

Good evening friends. Today I was off due to being in Minn again for a follow up check up. I am a "rockin" 171, up 7# from last time! I started the week Sunday because I knew I would be gone today. Sounds like all were "at it" today. Tomorrow is shoulder day and I plan to "kill em". I picked up 2 more 25's at a Play it again sports (used plates) to cut down on weight change time. Karen, glad you're less sore...getting in and out of the car for me today was like surgery.. with no anesthetic!!! Glad nuttin lower body tomorrow!! I get minor DOMS from different body parts, but ONLY thutt Doms seem crippling!! Glad my sports career is long done because a tap on the rear might get a teammate smacked!! If I hit legs like y'all do, I might NEVER walk again! You guys are scaring me with the coffee talk, if you get any more "amped" up, me and my soon to be pink belt won't stand a chance!! ( I likee the bench press station, but would ALWAYS be proud of my "Commando Sisters")

Silver Alert in Missouri...adult abuse has just taken place.(self inflicted!!) I promised myself pain and followed thru! Today was shoulder day and I started with military press. I did 12 sets, short reps up, longer (when I could ) down, Started with 45 x3 75 x3 95 x3 115 x2 105 x3 95 x6x5x4 85 x 8 x7 and 75 x10x9. Next was side laterals 30's x 8 x8 x8 x7 barbell front raise 60# x 8 x8 x10, I then did 1 set of dumbbell shoulder press 45's x6 (lucky to get that!!) Rear delt flys 45's x 10 x10 x8 and finished with 1 set of barbell shrugs 160# x30. It felt GOOD!! First time I have been able to get 115# on militaries for awhile. Using the ez curl bar is great (thanks Justine) but I have to hang clean each set and while I know it is good for me,I wish it would fit on my rack!! The w/o totaled 24 sets and it feels like it!!! Go "kill it" sistas of the iron!!!

Self inflicted abuse definitely, Tom. Will walking on hot coals be on the list tomorrow? Nice job on the weight gain!!
Last night was GSF upper body: Push press 8X6, bench press with bicep curls 6X10 and inverted jungle gym rows 8X8, and face pulls 8X8. This morning was RWH Upper Body Circuit, yes, I did this workout two days, I liked it that much. I had LIS Upper Body Tricets planned, but changed at the last minute. I do weird stuff like that. Tonight I want to do, Cathe Live 11/19/2015.
Nice job everyone! A big wave to you all!
I will have to check out Dutch Bros, Lisa, and yes, my sisters live close.

Last edited:
Good morning, commandos!
Karen, you put me to shame. GSF2 squats followed by great glutes, RWH UB Circuit two days in a row then bench pressing 100x6 in a superset?! WOMAN!!
Tom, I can't even imagine moving that kind of weight in side laterals, front raises, and reverse flys. I mean, those military presses are WAY beyond where I am, strength-wise, now, but I guess I could theoretically imagine developing a really strong OH press. I can see myself push pressing 115#. But those smaller shoulder muscles? 2x30# for side laterals? No way, Jose. Nice work.

Lisa, my yoga this morning was pretty unimpressive. Felt good, though. 30 minutes before DD woke up. That's fine for a rest day. If I go all out with my yoga practice, I don't feel really rested.
Not sure if I'll do my next GSF1 workout tomorrow or do some bodyweight stuff (which sounds nice right now).

Justine, love your husband's thesis! Is it a 'better love story' because it actually takes the lovers and the audience past the honeymoon phase of a relationship? R+J is overrated, anyways.
Have a great day, all.
Roz

Lisa, he certainly didn't go to any religiously affiliated college, as he seemed to spend most weekends in Vegas, from what I can gather!!!! And, yeah, Roz, I agre about R&J.

Karen, Roz is right- what are you made of, girl? Rwh is hard enough without doing it as a double after gsf. I wish I could, I really do....

Tom, fab work. Weights I can just not comprehend.

Today was Nia- each exercise 10 sets of 3 reps, so I had to make them as tough as possible. Tricky with body weight stuff. Skater squats with a pause, handstand push ups ( but with my feet against a wall - I can't balance!) and pull ups with a pause at the bottom ( my sticking point). I also got a lwf workout in (the pentagon, full gym under 20 mins). Sand bags (aka 20kg bag of dog food!) are very tricky to military press!!!!

Longer than normal dog walking today (3 hours total - it's usually 1.5 - 2). Im bushed.

New weight plates arrived today, and the delivery man (boy really) said I was awesome when he found out that they were for me. He said 'kill it girl' as he handed them over. Made me smile. Glad the younger generation think middle aged women lifting heavy is ok!

Karen, I would rather walk on hot coals than try to do one of your workouts, let alone doubling up like you do! Roz, if I thought I could budge 330#,I would give it a try!!(I did buy a pad for that..but don't see that happening!) And skater squats and handstand pushups Justine...geesh!! and yes, women any age lifting heavy is WAY COOL!! You guys absolutely crush me on the lower body stuff and deadlifts and being humbled drives me and I need that...so thanks (I think!!!) Lisa...WHAT UP!!!

Play it again sports

LOVE this store, can make some great fitness finds there when the luck-o-the-sweaty is smilin' on ye.

Silver Alert in Missouri

I've called my local police to be on the lookout for a man with massive shoulders, prone to self-cruelty.

face pulls 8X8

For me, after doing a "Karen-style" rotation, this would be "face plants 8x8." Let me know how you like today's Live. I might do it on Sat.

R+J is overrated, anyways.

I thought I was an ignoramus for feeling this very same way, so I am relieved knowing that one as refined as Roz and one as classy as Justine feel so as well. Your easy yoga is still DVD-worthy, no doubt.

Lisa, he certainly didn't go to any religiously affiliated college, as he seemed to spend most weekends in Vegas, from what I can gather!!!!

Sounds like your DH had a 'true' American college experience. What do you do on your loooong walks? Podcasts? Ponder? Simply enjoy the scenery? I ask because I see Nia has some podcasts and wondered if you'd listened to any.

Today was High Step Challenge for me. This workout and Stretch Max always make me wonder what it feels like to workout with hair extensions and who it was that convinced Cathe to do so.

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.