Hardcore Fitness Maniacs check-in for January 2018

Today I did a Giant Set for Shoulders. 5 exercises, 3 rounds, 12 reps per set and 30 second rest between sets. I ended with 50 body weight squats. I have to start working on lower body, but only body weight exercises. I used my back brace and my back feels fine. Workout was 25 minutes and I burned 201 calories. I always start my workouts with an STS warmup and that usually burns about 30 to 40 calories. I used DB's for the entire workout.

Seated Overhead Press- 15# x 12 ( 3 rounds ) could go heavier but don't want to push it.

Upright Rows- 15# x 12

1 Arm Lateral Raise- 10# x 12 ( I do 1 arm because I eliminate the rocking )

Incline Front Raise#8 x12

1 Arm Rear Fly- 10# x 12 ( I did 1 arm with my knee up on the bench to avoid lower back strain)

50 BW Squats

Debbie,
nothing wrong with a cardio week every once in a while. I love it! Doing cardio makes me happy, I used to hate it now I love it! It gets the endorphins going for me.

Diane Sue, Nice workout yesterday. I'm going to go on Beach Body and see what is new there as well as Powerstrike. I need change lately so I need to look around YouTube as well. If you find anything interesting and fun let me know. I decided I am not going to buy the latest series by Cathe because I can just do Cathe Live for a month and probably find similar workouts for $10. Then we can write the workout down and just do them whenever.

Roselyn, I hope you have a great workout today!

It was 106 degrees here yesterday! About 20 degrees cooler today and a lot of clouds!

Jolie, nice workout today. I have contemplated a week of yoga and cardio. I don't know though, I might miss the weights. It seemed to me that Cathe live was a lot more cardio and metabolic types of workouts. You could probably download the guide to the Fit Split and look over the moves on the workout cards and do it. Some moves though have odd names or Cathe mixes two together. There is not a lot of rest in these workouts between weight sets. I think if you look you can tell which ones are super sets and there is a biceps giant set in it. As far as the cardio you would probably like boxing bootcamp which I am sure you can find similar on live. There is a lot of Impact in the mixed impact and shred.
It would probably take me even longer to get a 1000 calorie burn with the Fit Bit. I don't even try for that anymore. I remember when I would do those workouts that said burns up to 1000 calories and wondering why I was getting 300.

Today I did Cardio Coach 1. Feeling a bit better, upper back feels bruised now so the muscle is finally loosening up. Hopefully by Monday I can do Xtrain.

Workout was 36 minutes, wen 2.63 miles, burned 280 calories (TM said 352) and went 5246 steps. Avg HR was 129, Max was 202.

I got back on my treadmill and walked for another 15 miles to get me to 3.25 miles. Burned an extra 76 calories and went an extra 1717 steps.

Jolie - I agree, I am enjoying cardio more now than lifting. I really like running and I remember a time in my life when I just hated doing any kind of cardio. I used to like step workouts but hated doing it because it was cardio. Don't get me wrong, I still love lifting weights, but something about cardio just makes me feel good! :) Nice workout yesterday! And I also agree, it would take me hours to burn 1000 calories. I don't think Cathe's Met values are accurate for everyone.

Diane Sue - I'm sort of glad to have been forced to take a week off from lifting. I feel like I am overtraining and that might be why I pulled that muscle. But I'm like you, I miss lifting after a while. Although just like I told Jolie, I am really loving cardio lately. You had a nice workout yesterday too!

Today was Cardio Shred again and I used 1 riser this time. It was so much easier after yesterday. This was 29 minutes, 191 calories, heart rate average 141, max 174, 2,665 steps. This was odd as I compared it to yesterday(one reason for separating this from push) and my heart rate was lower using two risers, less steps, and higher heart rate for Fit Bit yesterday. There was an update yesterday for Fit Bit and my sleep stages did not show up today. This is a weekly thing lately. I then did the push workout 32 minutes, and used a met value of 4.5 175 calories as Fit Bit is always over half as many calories at 81. Map My Fitness said 193, and Cathe has a 7 met value. I figured 4.5 met was a safe calorie burn. Total time 61 minutes, 366 steps.
Weights
Bench Press 20# dbs x 10,8,8 reps superset with chest flys 15# dbs 10,8,8 reps
Knee tap push ups bodyweight 10,8 reps
plyo push ups 20 reps (10 wide 10 close)
alternating close grip bench press 20# x 16 , 12,8 reps superset with lying extension 35# barbell 10, 8,8 reps
dips 35# barbell 32 reps
shoulder press 30# barbell 10,8,8 reps superset with goal post 15# dbs 10,12#dbs 8,8 reps
front squat 40# barbell 12,12,12 reps superset with high tight ( I used the fit tower instead of the step) 64 reps at 4 sets of 16 reps of lower and shallow
calf raises 20# dbs 48 reps

Debbie, that is good you are taking it easy and feeling better. The last couple of weeks I have felt an awful lot of twinges and excessive aches and pains. Today I feel much better though. I will see how I feel after this week. I have lowered weight a bit on the areas that have been bothering me and I only did one set of the front squats with heels elevated. My non surgery knee cap has been achy off and on. Not a good thing.

Today I did the Hiit Rep Run from my treadmill app. OMG, that is such a tough workout, I really pushed myself today. Did well with it and got some major miles and steps.

Workout was 56 minutes, ran 4.18 miles (but my treadmill said 3.85 which is weird because my FB and TM are usually spot on with mileage), burned 454 calories (TM said 559) and went 8225 steps. Woo hoo!!

Diane Sue - Great job with your workout! I did the FB update as well and my FB seems to be ok. I don't sleep with it on, though, because it's too big and awkward.

Hope you all have great workouts!!!

Debbie, nice work on the treadmill. I think that would be motivating to see how many miles you went. That is one of the things I used to like when I had a treadmill and the Fit Bit would be fun just seeing the miles and steps :) That is odd that the miles differed. I do not sleep well and am tired so much of the time. I track my sleep stages and what I eat and do during the day and it has helped some. At least I am getting more sleep than the 4 and 5 hours that I was. I had to ditch caffeine almost completely. I will have a bit some days first thing in the morning, or when having coffee at something like family brunch on Sundays, but that is it. When we go out I drink water. Spicy dinners can through my sleep off, anxiety about things, too much light in the room ( I bought a sleep mask which I hate and take off when I wake and my husband has gone to bed and turned off the night light), allergies is the biggest thing that keeps me awake though. I don't take allergy medicines as they make my heart race, make me tired, and just aren't worth it. Most people and family members that have allergies take that stuff and they are still coughing , sneezing, drippy, and still have the same symptoms that I have. Sorry for all of that, but that is why I am liking the sleep stages. A lot of older people get less sleep at night. I told my daughter, now I know why you see them nodding off in the middle of a conversation.
My fit bit seemed to do better yesterday. I still had to do adjustments on the weights though. I saw Polar has monitors specific for cycling and running. Running seems like it would be easy for most monitors though. They need one for strength work !!

Last edited:
Yesterday was my rest day. I had looked at my calendar and I had workout 7 days straight so I rested. Today I did all cardio and it felt awesome! I started with Powerstrike 5 and 6, both warmups and both punching segments. I burned 254 calories. I did wear my 1# weighted gloves. Then I jumped on my elliptical and did interval sprints, 2 minutes on higher incline with higher resistance and then 2 minutes lower incline and lower resistance. This kicked my butt!!! I ran for 32 minutes, 3.2 miles and my calorie burn was 391. Total calorie burn for the entire workout was 645. My average heart rate was 142 and my max was 171. My legs are fried and it feels so good. I did have to wear my back support during the running because it just feels better.

Debbie,
awesome cardio workout this morning girl!!! Wow, we are killing it today with the calorie burns. I have to loose some weight before summer so I thought I better kick it up a notch lol!

Diane Sue, How do you update your Fitbit? Do you supplement Melatonin and Valerian Root for sleep? I do along with sleepy time tea almost every night. I also put black out curtains in my room so it is like a cave. I cannot sleep with any light in my room. My house is a complete circus at night, I am the first on to go to bed and my oldest son stays up half the night. We have tile through our entire house so the noise is horrible most of the time, hence ear plugs! I will do just about anything for a good nights rest!!!

Roselyn, I hope you have an awesome workout today.

Happy Thursday, its almost Super Bowl Sunday!!! I will be "porking out"!

Today's workout was Fit Split Mixed Impact Cardio mix cardio only, 29 minutes, 192 calories, heart rate 137 average, 164 max, 2,668 steps. I then did the Pull only mix 42 minutes, 219 calories, 114 average heart rate, 170? max, 1,044 steps ?, the steps and high heart rate end seemed off. Total time was 71 minutes, 411 calories.
Fit Split Split Pull weights
one arm rows 30# x 12, 10,10 reps
pull overs on stability ball 15# dbs x 8,6,6 reps done slow
overhand row with 15# dumbbells and med loop x 10,10,10 reps
Deadlifts 50# barbell x 10, 10 reps
upright row 35# barbell 10,8,8 reps superset with rear delt flys 12# dbs x 10,8,8 reps
lateral raise 8# dbs 10,8,8 reps superset with external rotation 5# dbs x 10,6,6 reps
giant set-
barbell curls 35# 10,8,6 reps
w curls 12#,12#,12# dumbbells 10,8,6 reps
sweeper curls 15# dbs 10,8,6 reps
Hamstring roll ins with stability ball approximately 86 reps
regular 16,16, toes turned out 16, 4 count lift 10?, roll in pulse 7 4 times

Jolie, the updates are generally on the phone app. I knew they were probably going to do one since my sleep stages were not showing up again. I usually shut my watch off and restart my cell phone after one. Good work on the cardio. That is good that you took a rest day. I just automatically have every Sunday as a rest day, so it is rare for me to miss one :) I tried some valerian tea and it makes me sleepy during the day when I wake up. Melatonin gives me nightmares. It is better for me to eat foods that naturally boost melatonin . If I used all of that I would be useless the next day. We have black out curtains. I should have bought a wrap around rod because the light peeks in on the sides.

I was going to do another running workout but thought I better give my knees a break. I walked on my treadmill instead. Walked for almost a good hour. Got some steps in at least. Upper back is still a bit tight but feeling much better. I'll hopefully be able to lift on Monday.

Workout was 52 minutes, ran 2.77 miles (FB said 2.59 - not sure where the inconsistency is at here), burned 284 calories (TM said 346) and went 6368 steps.

Diane Sue - That's one thing I don't have a problem with is sleeping. I sleep like a rock every night. Maybe try some camomile tea before you go to bed, that might help. Nice workout!!

Jolie - Good job with you leg workout, I'm glad your knees were ok with it. Hate getting older!!!

Roselyn - good job with your workout as well!!

Happy weekend everyone!!!

Today I did Fit Split Low Impact cardio doubling it with skipping the walk outs on the second time through, 50 minutes (I did the warm up twice)heart rate average 130, max 175, 320 calories(comes in at met 5.8) 3,599 steps. I then did Ice Low Impact Sweat #1 skipping the warm up, 22 minutes, heart rate average 126, max 152, 142 calories, (comes in at met 5.8 again) 1,423 steps. I finished off with YouTube Sarah Beth Monday Yoga, 14 minutes, 37 calories. Total time was 86 minutes, 499 calories.

Debbie, nice job on the steps and cardio today. Discrepancies on distance does seem odd. Do you step off the treadmill at all where it might be counting steps while it is running for a few seconds? I cannot drink chamomile tea :( I used to till I found out it can trigger my ragweed allergies.

Roselyn, good job getting in Strong and Sweaty PHA. I like that one a lot. Time goes by pretty fast.

I didn't workout yesterday. My husband took the day off, first day off during the week in over 8 years so I hung out with him instead! We went looking at cars since I need to get a new one in a few months. We had a nice day. However, around 4pm my immune system dropped hard and I got a bad head cold. Not so much in my nose but my eyes! They are so weepy, red, stinging and itchy. I didn't sleep so good so I am not going to workout again today. I feel like I'm on the verge of getting really sick. Instead I am going to get my shopping done for the Super Bowl tomorrow, I am making Chicken Enchiladas and some guacamole and some side dishes. I do plan on working out tomorrow if I feel better.

Nice workouts yesterday!

Today I did Fit Split Boxing Bootcamp only mix, 32 minutes, no stretch at the end, 212 calories,6.0 met, heart rate average 127, max 155, 2,965 steps, and wore my 1.5# gloves. I then did Fit Split legs and glutes only mix skipping the warm up, 28 minutes, 145 calories met 4.7, 838 steps, heart rate average 111, max 134. I finished off with the Core and stretch from the Christi Taylor dvd I got from the library, 23 minutes, 83 calories, heart rate average 102, max 154. This was don't using the step and a 5# soft med ball. Total time was 83 minutes, calories 440.
weights step is high step with 3 risers
deadlift 30#dbs 12 reps
squats 30# dbs 12 reps
rear lunge off the step 12# dbs hard to count with all of the pulses and single lifts
forward diagonal lunge 15# dbs 16 reps
push dips off the step 12# dbs 13 reps and 3 sets of 7 pulses ??
deadlift 30# dbs 12 reps
cross back slide lunge 12# dbs 7,7,3,3,3,3, 15 pulses
slide side lunge 15# db
elevated lunges 15# dbs lots of pulses didn't count them
single leg deadlifts 20# db

Jolie, take care. There is so much stuff going on. I have had allergies acting up from cedar and evergreen with the winds. Some of my family members have the flu! We had the shots, so keeping my fingers crossed. Do you think your eyes are having a reaction to something in the air rather than a virus trying to come on? Enjoy the super bowl.

Did a low impact circuit workout today taking it easy I think I have some kind of groin strain it hurts through my buttocks sometimes and sometimes when I walk of course just sitting it is fine but cannot just sit. Anyone know how long that can take to heal So tomorrow I will just do some upper body

Roselyn, I have not idea how long that would take. Maybe a few days off or some stretching and only upper body type work for a few days would help.

Happy Super Bowl!!! Go Pats!

Today I started my Total Body Workout that I put together for the month of February. I will be hitting each body part one time for four sets. I will do this in a circuit style workout with no rest between exercises. I did 12 reps per set this week. I loved it!!! Workout was 32 minutes and I burned 276 calories which included both warm up and stretch at the end. Average heart rate was 120 and max was 165. I used only DB's.

Chest Press- 20# x 12 ( repeated circuit 4 times )

1 Arm Rows- 20# x 12

Seated Overhead Press- 15# x 12

Bicep Curls Traditional- 15# x 12

Lying Triceps Ext- 12# x 12

Leg Ext- 40# x 20

Bicycles (ABS)- x 20

I still have a head cold but feel a bit better today. I slept 10 hours so that made a huge difference.

Diane Sue, Nice job getting your workout in yesterday. That looks like a fun workout! Wow on the calorie burn!!!

Roselyn, Did you do anytime of kickboxing, that is how I typically aggravate the groin area? I think with some rest you should be good to go in a few days. Smart doing only upper body today! Take it from me, don't rush it, it only makes it worse.

Have a Super (Bowl) Day!

Groin feels better today did ripped back, bis and shoulders

Happy Super Bowl enjoy

I may have asked you before but do you guys use a preworkout? I do some mornings if I need it, I have used N.O. xplode xe I was looking at some others and one had creatine in it, is this something I should stay away from any info apprciated

Last edited:
I'm finally able to lift again so today I did Xtrain Chest, Back & Shoulders. I had a great workout, love this one. This is a great series and I'm excited to do it for the next couple weeks. I went a bit lighter than usual because I didn't want to irritate my upper back again.

Today's workout went like this:

Round 1
Tempo Pushups
- 24 reps (did all on toes except last 8)
One Arm Rotational Row - 16 reps - 20#
Side Leaning Lateral Raise - 16 reps - 5#

Round 2
Dumbbell Press on Ball
- 16 reps - 25's
"T" Band Pull - Skipped
Shoulder Circle - 48 reps - 3's

Round 3
Reach Tap Push-Ups
- 24 reps (did all on toes)
"T" Prone on the Ball - 12 reps - 5's
Alternating DB OH Press - 24 reps total - 12's

Round 4
Chest Fly on Ball
- 16 reps - 20's
One Arm Row w/Tubing - 32 reps
Bent Over Rear Delt Drop Sets - 16, 12, 8 reps - 10's

Round 5
Lower Chest Incline Fly on Ball
- 16 reps - 8's (these are hard for me, not sure why?)
Dumbbell Pullover on Ball -16 reps - 20#
Double Arm Upright Row - 16 reps - 15's

Round 6
Incline Dumbbell Press on Ball
- 16 reps - 20's
Back Fly on Ball - 16 reps - 10's (could go up here)
Dumbbell "W" Press on Ball - 16 reps - 12's

Round 7
3-Way Chest Fly
- 16 reps - 15's
One Arm Row - 16 reps - 25#
Incline Hammer Front Raise on Ball - 12 reps - 5's

Round 8
Push-Ups - 12, 10, 8 reps (all on toes)
Superman "Y" on Ball - Skipped
Lateral Raise w/10-20 Degree Tilt - 12, 10, 8 - 8's

Workout was 46 minutes, Avg HR was 119, Max was 191, burned 267 calories which shocked me. Happy with that calorie burn.

Then I did the 11 minutes Tabata workout on my treadmill to get my HR going and get in some steps. Avg HR was 142 and Max was 191. Burned 97 calories and went 1558 steps. Also went .75 miles.

At work so can't do personals. Hope you all have great workouts today!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.