Hardcore Fitness Maniacs check-in for January 2018

Jolie, nice workout plan today. I have been really feeling these workouts. There is a lot of deadlifts in this workout and added to some of the others. My low back has been feeling it. That is why I lowered today a bit. I don't understand the Fit Bit. For awhile at least cardio was staying pretty close from the Fit Bit and other sources. Now it is just plain low. It won't sync a lot of the times with my cell phone, but will with my tablet. I have had it not get the sleep stages at night 3 times in the last two weeks. I keep making sure it is fully charged so it is not that. I tried shutting it down and restarting my cell phone hoping that would help. I keep wondering if they are messing with things trying to get the newer watches working correctly and the updates are messing up the whole app system. My watch is 18 months old. I did one of the Fit Split weight workouts the other day and it would have been 60 calories if I had took what the Fit Bit said. Weights do not get me a huge calorie burn, but that is plain wrong.

Roselyn, I wasn't sure about the new workouts at first , I liked the weight work , but the others have had to grow on me. I am still not sure about Shred. I dread the jumping on and off the step. I can modify, but I hate having to do that since it has a lot of that stuff.

Today I did Kelly's Meltdown Workout #1 and man was that hard!! Holy crap. Had a good workout but had to rest a few times in between exercises.

These were all done for about 1 minute except for the Barbell exercises.

Kettlebell Swings: 15#
Seated Overhead Pass: 12# - this one was HARD!!
Seated Row/Bicep Curl: 12's
Bench Press/Skull Crusher: 12's
Bench Hops or Side Hops: Did side hops, this one hurt my knees
Barbell Clean: 30#/10 reps
Barbell Thrusters: 30#/10 reps - this was hard too
Barbell Front Squats: 30#10 reps - my knees were hurting so did regular BB squats

Did this 3 times through. By the last time I was done. I did the squats with no weights.

Workout was 31 minutes (felt like hours), burned 213 calories, Avg HR was 131 Max was 152.

Walked on my treadmill for 1.27 miles for 25 minutes. Burned an additional 145 calories and went 3074 steps. Avg HR was 97 Max was 127.

Diane Sue - My FB was giving me issues when I first got it but now seems to be fine. It syncs when it's supposed to and now my HR seems to be about right on it. I hope you can figure it out, maybe the FB needs a system update.

Jolie - That was a nice workout you did. I like how you put it together. Nice job!!

Roseln - Nice workout, glad you are liking the new series.

Debbie , that is a tough one. I slowed down the bench hops. That one is a tough workout and I always feel I have been worked hard. I have tried increasing weight on it, but just can't do it. You might check out some of the premixes on it. I cant remember without looking if there was one that eliminated parts of it. I always feel beat on those barbell moves and have lowered my barbell at times to get through it. Nice work. You might lower the step for the bench hops. I have found that helps.

Last edited:
Today I started with Kelly's Build and Burn Kickbox and Kettlebell , 27 minutes, 144 calories, heart rate heart rate 129 average, 159 max, 1,4775 steps. I then did Fit Split Push, 37 minutes, heart rate 104 average, 168 max ?? , 146 calories, 739 steps. I followed this with Kelly's Body Design weighted kickbox, 12 minutes, heart rate average 133, max 163, 68 calories, 1,098 steps and the yoga segment, 13 minutes, 68 calories. Workout was 89 minutes, 404 calories.
Weights
Bench Press 20# dbs x 10,8,8 reps superset with chest flys 15# dbs 10,8,8 reps
Knee tap push ups bodyweight 10,8 reps
plyo push ups 20 reps (10 wide 10 close)
alternating close grip bench press 20# x 16 , 12,8 reps superset with lying extension 35# barbell 10, 8,8 reps
dips 35# barbell 32 reps
shoulder press 30# barbell 10,8,8 reps superset with goal post 15# dbs 10,8,8 reps
front squat 35# barbell 12,12,12 reps superset with high tight ( I used the fit tower instead of the step) 64 reps at 4 sets of 16 reps of lower and shallow
calf raises 25# dbs 48 reps

Today I did Run Fit and I haven't done that workout in a long time. Had a great workout!! I had fun and did really well with it. I think those workouts I've been doing with that treadmill app I got is helping since they are so different. My endurance is really getting up there.

Workout was 52 minutes, went 3.82 miles, burned 422 calories (TM said 499) and went 7586 steps. Avg HR was 134 and Max was 197.

Diane Sue - Nice workout. The Fit Split workouts look fun. I just sometimes feel like Cathe's workouts are all so similar. She has awesome workouts, though. I haven't bought the last two set of series, not sure I will. I hope your FB starts working better soon, I wonder what is going on with it?

Have great workouts everyone!! And a great weekend!

Reactions: WD
I forgot to post my workout yesterday. I walked 45 minutes on the TM, 6.5% incline, 3.3 speed and I walked 2.3 miles. I go slow if I do a higher incline otherwise I would die! I burned 431 calories. I am going to do weight work today, same workout as this week but maybe I will do 12 reps instead of 16. I will be back later to post and reply to personals.

Today's workout was Fit Split Shred, 30 minutes, 222 calories, heart rate average 143 average, 171 max heart rate(Polar watch said 142/226 go figure) I also did the Fit Split Bonus abs that are on tomorrow with pull because my arms are too tired after pull for the abs. It was much better doing it today. Abs was 13 minutes, heart rate 115 average, max 145 , 56 calories. Total time was 43 minutes, 278. I have my 3 year old grandson here this morning and wanted to get done :) The rotation had the option for Shred double. There is no way I think I will do that. There is a shorter premix that is the first 6 combos, but that is the most of the leaping onto and off of the step. There is one segment in the other half of the workout. It is pretty much all high impact. Starting with squat thrust push ups jump onto the step. I don't know if I will ever love that one. So far my steps today are 3,853. I can't believe I have a black eye. I bent over Wednesday to get a cord form my granddaughter to pulg in her iphone and smacked my head on the corner of a table right on the corner of my eyebrow. It just was puffy on day one. Now the bruising has run down along the side of my nose. It is embarrassing. My granddaughter, was like Nana, did you just hit your head? I should have iced it but her and her boyfriend was here and I just didn't think it would matter.

Debbie maybe you could just purchase individual dvds if you think they look like something that you would want. No, they are not real different, just put together in another way. I think that is one of the reasons I keep veering off to Kelly and other workouts for a change. It is not that they aren't effective. The bonus abs has different moves in it and uses discs and a firewalker loop. There is a bear crawl move, lots of variations on planks like piston planks. I t is tough, but I am starting to like it.

Today I did Pyramid Upper Body. I don't have time to post all of the exercises and weights but they are the same as I always do, sometimes going a little heavier than Cathe on a few exercises. I like this workout. I added a few extra exercises at the end because I fell it leaves a few muscle groups short.

Seated Overhead Press DB's- 12# x 12, x 12, x 10

W Bicep Curls- 10# x 16, x 12

1 Arm Triceps kickbacks- 8# x 16, x 12

Workout was 56 minutes and I burned 386 Calories. Average heart rate was 113 and max was 156.

Diane Sue,
sorry about the bruise on your nose. ouch! Good job on the workout today and I hope you have a great time with your grand baby!

Debbie, That Kelly workout does look tough!!! Good job on getting it done, I will have to try that one sometime. I know I have done it in the past but it has been a while.

I am looking forward to the weekend. It is supposed to be 90 degrees on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I swear it is summer here right now. I look at the weather in Minnesota where the Super Bowl will be held and it is freezing. Most my family is from there and they are jealous of our weather here in CA by the time Feb. roles around.

Have a wonderful day.

I looked up some stuff on Fit Bit reading others asking about the differences in calorie burns on the it. They answered saying that if you are doing a workout and do not choose a specific one the Fit Bit figures your calories by your usual step patterns and heart rate. If it is something that does not have a lot of steps it won't pick it up right. So, I will see. I did follow the suggestion to go into the dashboard and my Fit Bit and find the heart rate under my profile stuff and turn it off then sync the Fit Bit, turn it back on (suggested auto) and sync again. I will see how that works. They also suggested if that does not work it says to go to someplace and put custom settings. They only thing like that that I said was heart rate average and max. I don't know how customizing that would work or what one would be putting in it as I don't no what the defaults are.

Jolie, I am looking forward to the Pull weight workout tomorrow. I bet your family is jealous of your warm weather right now. We have a couple of days this next week that they are saying will be up to 70 :0 January and February are usually our coldest months.
We may get some much needed rain tonight. Nice work out today.

Roselyn, yes, Shred is a tough one. X Train is a good one.

Today I started with Kelly Coffey Live Amped Up Cardio workout 2, 30 minutes, 230 calories, average heart rate 129, max 164, 2,203 steps . I then did Fit Split Pull only timesaver, 42 minutes, heart rate average 107, max 144, 209 calories, 966 steps. Total time was 72 minutes, calories burned 439.
Fit Split Split Pull weights
one arm rows 30# x 12, 10,10 reps
pull overs on stability ball 12# dbs x 8,6,6 reps done slow
overhand row with 15# dumbbells and med loop x 10,10,10 reps
Deadlifts 45# barbell x 10, 10 reps
upright row 35# barbell 10,8,8 reps superset with rear delt flys 12# dbs x 10,8,8 reps
lateral raise 8# dbs 10,8,8 reps superset with external rotation 5# dbs x 10,6,6 reps
giant set-
barbell curls 35# 10,8,6 reps
w curls 15#,12#,12# dumbbells 10,8,6 reps
sweeper curls 15# dbs 10,8,6 reps
Hamstring roll ins with stability ball approximately 86 reps
regular 16,16, toes turned out 16, 4 count lift 10?, roll in pulse 7 4 times

Last edited:
Posting Saturdays workout now! I forgot yesterday again!!!

I walked on the TM uphill for one hour. I set the incline from 6.0% up to 8.0% for the entire workout. I walked 3.3 miles, 3.3 pace most of the time except when I was 8.0% incline I walked at 3.2 pace. I burned 587 calories including the 5 minute cool down.

I was going to walk outside today since it will be 90 degrees but the Santa Ana Winds have kicked up again and it is too windy to do it. I am afraid of tree branches breaking and falling as well as debris getting in my eyes. I might have to lift some weights. Not sure but its still early.

Diane Sue, nice workout yesterday! When you post your weights while using a Barbell, do you add the weight of the barbell? I usually do since it is 5 pounds. Enjoy your beautiful weather today!

Have a nice day!

Today, Sunday, I put together a Giant Set for both Chest and Triceps. 4 exercises per muscle group, 3 rounds and 12 reps per exercise. 30 second rest between sets. Workout was 40 minutes and I burned 189 calories. My muscles are fried! I used DB's for the entire workout.

Chest Press- 20# x 12 ( 3 rounds of this Giant Set)

Chest Flies- 15# x 12

Incline Chest Press- 20# x 12

Incline Flies- 15# x 12

Close Grip Chest Press- 12# x 12 (3 rounds of this Giant Set)

Lying Triceps Ext.- 10# x 12

Lying Cross Body Ext.- 10# x 12

1 Arm Kickbacks- 8# x 12

I watch an ICE workout while doing my workout called "Metabolic Total Body", if any of you can do this workout, your my hero! Holy crap the amount of lunges are amazing!!! Those I cannot do because of my big toe issue and my knees. I would be dead at by the end of that workout and probably would not be able to walk for a week!

Have a nice Sunday.

Today was a rest day and a triple family birthday party :) Tomorrow is the Metabolic workout from Fit Split. I need to remember to pay attention on this one as each time I do it I end up with some pain in the front of my left shoulder which is the one with the nerve issue.

Jolie, yes, I always count the bar weight. This was my 5# bar. I prefer that one to my 15# bar because it is shorter. I have lowered a few weights this week. I was starting to feel beat up and not recovering so much. I love the Ice Metabolic workout. I usually go a bit heavier with the weights on that one. Cathe has some tough metabolic and boot camp workouts. Nice workouts. I always hated the Santa Ana winds. It would not be an enjoyable walk.

Well, today I was looking forward to doing Xtrain but as I was sitting in my chair watching General Hospital, my upper back went into a muscle spasm big time. It hurt like hell and I have no idea why it even happened. I was planning on at least doing a treadmill walk but it hurt so bad I decided to roll the tennis ball on it and then put an ice pack on it. I also took some Aleve. It is still hurting. I am so mad, this better not last long. I will tennis ball it again tonight, hopefully that will help loosen up the muscle. So mad!!!

Nice workouts this weekend, now I wish I would have done something instead of being so lazy. I hope I don't lose too many workout days this week. :(

Diane Sue - So do you notice a difference with calorie burns using different setting on your FitBit? I was using the Weights one while doing weight workouts and the calorie burns I was getting was almost nothing. When I switched to Workout, it seemed to give me more of a calorie burn. And I really wish there was a setting for cross-training and/or cardio & weight workouts. I use the Workout setting for those as well.

Jolie - Nice walk on the treadmill, dang 6-8% incline - that is tough. Nice job! and I like the weight workout you put together, that one looked really tough as well!

Today I started by doing the punches segment of Power Strike 6 with 1 lb weighted gloves. I burned 129 calories. Then I did a Giant Set for Biceps. 3 rounds, 5 exercises and 12 reps per set. I burned 101 calories. After weights I jumped on the Treadmill for 30 minutes and walked 1.6 miles, 7.0% incline and burned 302 calories. Total workout was 62 minutes with set up breaks and I burned 529 calories. I did do some leg raises and bicycle ab work at the end for a few minutes.

Tradition Curls- 15# x 12 ( 3 rounds) ( I used DB's for the entire workout)

Hammer Curls- 15# x 12

W Curls- 12# x 12

Incline Hammer Curls- 12# x 15

Conc. Curls- 15# x 12, had to drop to 12# the last two sets.

I am trying to do workouts with a lot of variety so I don't get bored and to shock my body a little. I put on 5 pounds over the holidays and I have to get it off quickly. For once, I had fun celebrating instead of not eating anything fun. It was worth it. Also, when my back goes out I put weight on because I can barely workout.

Debbie,
sorry to hear about your upper back. I am sure it is just a spasm. Since you sweat a lot with cardio I bet you are low on electrolytes! Eat some salt and get some magnesium and potassium into your diet.

Diane Sue and Roselyn,
I will be back later to read your posts.

90 Degrees here today!!!! I sat out on a patio at a bar yesterday and listened to live music and drank margaritas with my husband, really enjoyed the day and it was 89 degrees. just like summer!

Have a nice day!

Today was Fit Split Metabolic Conditioning + bonus abs timesaver mix, 42 minutes, 240 calories heart rate average 104, max 140. I used Map My Fitness calorie burn. I swear my fit bit does not work very well. I have to do my own math on my workouts. I did some stuff with it online shutting off things and syncing and turning them back on like I read to do on their community. It did not help. It suggested that it makes a difference if you use the correct exercise, so I am trying using weights for weights so it supposedly can count calories right. When I got done it said 168 calories on the Fit Bit which with Cathe's workout manager would be in a category with Yoga at 2.7 met. Cathe gives this workout a 8.20 met at 380 calories :0 Anyway, I used strength on Map My Fitness and weights on Fit Bit and Even with the 240 calorie burn I was still at a 5.2 met which is 3 under Cathe's stats. I am just picking the mid range numbers. Map My Fitness and Fit Bit both run of my Fit Bit Cardio and training stats. It just really annoys me. I used Cathe's weights today, even down to the 5's in one move and I am glad that I did because my left shoulder was in some sort of painful spasms for awhile. Afterward I did some stretches and a 10 minute up the wall sciatica workout from Sarah Beth yoga.

Debbie, as stated above the Fit Bit is just not accurate for the weight work, yoga, or anything that you are not significantly moving with. I can be doing really heavy lifting or a tough metabolic workout and it does not show much and I know I am burning more calories than that. Also even Map My Fitness can be off, but not like the Fit Bit. I just know which function to use to get the right calorie burns fro MMF. If I do yoga and use yoga it gives me way to many calories and so I use stretch and strength. I hope that you can work that spasm out and nothing comes of it.

Jolie, nice work. I am on my last week of the Fit Split Rotation. I am not sure what I will do next. I may play around with Kelly Coffey and some other Youtube workouts that I have looked at.

Still in some pain today so I just decided to walk on my treadmill. Did an easy pace and that was fine with me. I may just not do weight this week to make sure I don't irritate the upper back. I can't really lift right now anyways. The tennis ball is working incredibly well so I'll be doing that until this pain subsides. At least it doesn't hurt to breath today like it did yesterday.

Workout was 60 minutes, walked 3 miles, burned 359 calories (TM said 383) and went 7111 steps. Avg HR was 104 and Max was 128.

Diane Sue - I notice my FB calorie burns are closer to the TM burns now. Not much of a difference. I feel my FB is keeping pretty good track of my HR rate and burns but there are times it has my HR way up when I know it really isn't. I also think Cathe's MET rates are a bit high. There is a girl on one of my other checkins who is constantly burning over 1000 calories a day with her workouts. If this was true, she could eat anything she wanted, yet she is always complaining she needs to lose weight. So I don't really trust the met values Cathe has out there. It all depends on age, weight, height, etc.

Jolie - Nice going with your workout yesterday, it looked like fun!! 95 sounds nice to me, it is 15 here this morning.

Roselyn - I was hoping to do Xtrain this week, I guess I'll have to wait until next week. Nice job on your Hiit workout!!

Have great workouts everyone!!!

Today I did Fit Split Cardio Shred only timesaver, heart rate average 132, max 155, 208 calories (Polar)steps, 2,577. I followed this with Ice Low Impact Sweat Blizzard Blast, 10 minutes, 75 calories, average heart rate 139, max 156, 991 steps. I then did the Fit Split Bonus abs, 13 minutes, 69 calories, 173 steps. Total time was 52 minutes, 358 total calories. I used the Fit Bit as well today. Of course it was lower on the calories and a bit lower on the heart rate, but not much. I guess I should be happy my heart rate doesn't run that high. It is supposed to be healthier, but I like to see something for all the work I put in :)

Debbie, I am glad to hear your back is better than it was. Nice steps and calorie burn today on your walk. I put my workouts in the workout manager and I always see Cathe's Met Values. I check what mine is with the calories that I have burned and I am usually 2 to 3 met values under what they have on that chart. Sometimes even 4 since I started using the Fit Bit. I know better than to take those calories. I would probably gain weight if I ate that much. I use several devices and past burns to help me adjust to what I am pretty sure that my calorie burn should be. I have seen people put up a picture of their phone with stats with really high calorie burns in a short amount of time and I have a hard time believing that is correct. My weight stays pretty constant, so I know I am keeping it in the correct range. I just wish a device would work right. I have got close to 1000 calories before, but I had to work out 2 and a half hours for that. It included step and a 10 mile treadmill run. So, I have a hard time believing it otherwise.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.