What's AGE got to do with it?

mini-natty

Cathlete
Until recently, I was challenged by my younger sister (much, much younger. I am 33, she is 16) to a fitness video face-off. Why? Well she came up to me one day, out of the blue, and said "you know what, you are getting old". Ok, yes, the years are passing me, and yes I am older than her, but why/how did she define me as old? So I did the only respectful thing I could do. Challenge her to a fitness video face-off to see how our endurance, strength, ability and overall fitness level would determine if AGE was a factor.

Now my sister is in pretty good shape. She is at the fine young age of 16, walks to/from school, participates in gym, and has no medical conditions (except laziness). So I thought a little competitiveness amongst sisters would be fun. So I popped in one of my advanced video's with cardio/strength and off we were. Within 15 min, she stopped. I was like "ummm you have 45min to go" and she responded "seriously, ok I need to sit down for a few". I won't describe what happened in full detail, but I will conclude this: 1) her cardio was not nearly as good as mine. She took numerous breaks while I never stopped once 2) she can't lift as heavy as I can or perform that many reps. 3) she gave up before the video was done calling it "torture".

Yes, I am getting "older" in years, but I feel physically "younger" compared to 10 years prior. My eating habits are much better, I have more muscle tone and increased flexibility. My cardio has dramatically improved, as I used to huff and puff just going up a flight of stairs. So, no I don't think age can stop you from achieving your fitness goals. Who agrees with me? Who feels younger than they were 5,10,15 years ago? What challenges have you overcome despite getting older?

Last edited:
Good for you!

You don't say how old you are, but it sounds like you are still pretty young. I'm 55 and I would be able to keep up with the video just fine. I do a similar video every single day, plus run 3 miles to boot!

You are right. It really doesn't have anything to do with age. I would also add that you are just getting started at your age. I don't feel any more fit now than I did 10 years ago, but I've been running and working out for 30 years. It's all about commitment and consistancy, not age!

Keep up the good work.... you'll only get better and better as you age! :)

Ha!:D
The first time I talked my oldest son(28) into working out with me(49), we did P90X plyo. He quit 15 minutes into it. Okay, so he did eat a bowl of cereal prior (I warned him not to), but still...this old lady can out run most 20 year old kids. :p I love it that I can park my car far away from a store entrance(to prevent dings), and sprint to the front door if it's raining. :cool:

I forget how old I am until I see my refection in the mirror.....and sometimes my hip reminds me in the mornings.

Repo said:
I forget how old I am until I see my refection in the mirror.....and sometimes my hip reminds me in the mornings.

Lol! I was just saying my hip hurts me this morning to my husband!
His reply: what, did Cathe kick your butt last night?
My thoughts: yes! But my age does have something to do with it (42) :)

LOL!
I feel the same way!
And what is it about aching hips? My husband and I both have hip pain. Although kettlebell swings has reduced that considerably.;)

Age has nothing to do with your physical fitness but will and determination does. I am 50 and am in better shape than I was at 20. I am running half marathons and swinging 52# and 44# kettlebells. I could have done that at 20 but didn't have the will. For me the older I got, the stronger my will and determination got.

If you think age does matter, look at Diana Nyad who at 61 or 62 tried to swim from Cuba to Key West twice. It doesn't matter that she didn't finish the swim (the weather and jelly fish stings took her out both times) but at least she had the will and determination to train and try it. She swam for 29 hours the first time and 36 hours (92.2 miles) the second time.

To me age is just a number. It doesn't define me. It doesn't control what I do and how hard I workout. I will always continue to challenge myself.

Age has nothing to do with your physical fitness but will and determination does. I am 50 and am in better shape than I was at 20. I am running half marathons and swinging 52# and 44# kettlebells. I could have done that at 20 but didn't have the will. For me the older I got, the stronger my will and determination got.

If you think age does matter, look at Diana Nyad who at 61 or 62 tried to swim from Cuba to Key West twice. It doesn't matter that she didn't finish the swim (the weather and jelly fish stings took her out both times) but at least she had the will and determination to train and try it. She swam for 29 hours the first time and 36 hours (92.2 miles) the second time.

To me age is just a number. It doesn't define me. It doesn't control what I do and how hard I workout. I will always continue to challenge myself.

I totally agree with you. I am definitely a better runner now then when I was in college competing, and it's becasue I am smarter about it and I take it more seriously. I will be 40 this month and I will never use age as an excuse for slowing down. Actually, I hope that I get better/faster. I love hearing stories about women like Diana Nyad. I am also extremely inspired by the women on Cathe's forum that are older then me and could probably kick my butt. It is about challenging ourselves and setting out goals. I guess after reading your post, I have a new goal; swinging a 44# KB...WOW, that's impressive!!

I agree completely - age is only a number - it depends on what you do with your body more than just about anything else. I just turned 37, and I am without a doubt in the best shape of my life! And for heaven's sake, look at Jack LaLanne! Swimming from Alcatraz to SF Bay manacled, and towing boats behind him filled with people to celebrate his 70th birthday!

(And FWIW, I think the whole "You're old" thing came from the fact that she's 16. I sure know *I* was a little know-everything when I was that age!)

I know exactly what you mean!
I feel 35...but then there's that older woman looking at me from the mirror (especially right after getting up, yikes!)

I love to hear woman such as yourself rocking heavy weights and taking such good care of themselves. I aspire to be the same, so thank you for your wonderful response.

My story is a former co-worker of mine, whom is much younger than me, was showing off about her Naval reserve training. I PROVED that I was in MUCH better shape than her by doing many squat thrust with push ups. It kept her quiet after that plus I wondered how tough is boot camp really.

Love this thread! I agree completely. I'm 39 and I'm in the best shape ever and I was in pretty good shape as a teen. I do things in my workouts that I never thought I'd be able to do. I feel great!

lols, love the thread and agree with everyone, but maybe little sis just meant something like - your music is old. Makes me think of my cousins, who once looked up to me in the 80s, horrified by my slouchy socks and fanny pack when we spent day at the amusement park in the 90s. Still makes me laugh. : D

Until recently, I was challenged by my younger sister (much, much younger. I am 33, she is 16) to a fitness video face-off. Why? Well she came up to me one day, out of the blue, and said "you know what, you are getting old". Ok, yes, the years are passing me, and yes I am older than her, but why/how did she define me as old? So I did the only respectful thing I could do. Challenge her to a fitness video face-off to see how our endurance, strength, ability and overall fitness level would determine if AGE was a factor.

Now my sister is in pretty good shape. She is at the fine young age of 16, walks to/from school, participates in gym, and has no medical conditions (except laziness). So I thought a little competitiveness amongst sisters would be fun. So I popped in one of my advanced video's with cardio/strength and off we were. Within 15 min, she stopped. I was like "ummm you have 45min to go" and she responded "seriously, ok I need to sit down for a few". I won't describe what happened in full detail, but I will conclude this: 1) her cardio was not nearly as good as mine. She took numerous breaks while I never stopped once 2) she can't lift as heavy as I can or perform that many reps. 3) she gave up before the video was done calling it "torture".

Yes, I am getting "older" in years, but I feel physically "younger" compared to 10 years prior. My eating habits are much better, I have more muscle tone and increased flexibility. My cardio has dramatically improved, as I used to huff and puff just going up a flight of stairs. So, no I don't think age can stop you from achieving your fitness goals. Who agrees with me? Who feels younger than they were 5,10,15 years ago? What challenges have you overcome despite getting older?

This reminded me of something I read before. "Youth is wasted on the young."

I was going to "Like" this until I thought, "No, I don't like it because it's true." My body is looking better but my face isn't. :(

Truthfully, I will be 50 in about two weeks but I get told many times that I look 38 in the face. I've been doing step aerobics since 1989 with CherFitness, Original Step Reebok, and Jane Fonda then progressed up to Cathe. When I look in the mirror I feel old, then I go out in public and see my peers whom dont take care of themselves and I look younger and better shape. It might be how you feel that day. This winter, keep your skin hydrated with a humidifier plus water.

The one thing that reminds me that I am not as young as I used to be.....trying to get up off the floor after sitting on it for a while!

Aimee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.