STS January Check In - Welcome All!

Justinef;2229687 Crazysoccermom - 500 calories that early is amazing. Keep it up. How's the nutrition side of things? Justine[/QUOTE said:
My food is back under control the past two days. I'm an experienced lo-carber, but am looking to mix things up. I did leanness Lifestyle a few years back and at 40-40-20 for the most part. Lost 25 ish pound, then got sick of Coach Dave's negativity and left. I just joined the BFFM inner circle, so I'll be adapting eating probably close to the 40-40-20 or a 40-30-30 cycle.

My right hip flexor was feeling wonky last night (and a bit this morning.) It felt better (no limping), but I could still feel it. I decided to push legs back until tomorrow, and put in a gentle cardio this am. Did the LowMax Premix 1-4 intervals. It was ok. I don't remember ever doing this workout .. maybe 4-7 would have been more intense? At the end of the 45 mins I wanted a bit more burn so I did IMAX2 segment 4 choreo from memory, and did a fast feet interval. Pushed my calorie burn up to over 300.

I am hitting the gym at work for a long cardio session - probably elliptical. Have a weigh in tomorrow, so I am going all I can to help get there. Still bloated and I don't know it will be flush out by tomorrow AM (damn the PMS!) Scale was a bit lower this am ... but still above where I need to be.

Note to self, not the best idea to do STS Legs & then go skiing that evening! That was me yesterday. I managed, but my thighs were talking to me all night. Today is either spinning or UY Crosstrain & HardCore Abs. I didn't have the best week eating, due to the cake I baked. I did well on staying away from wine all week...perhaps I'll get to a point that I don't miss it.

Justine - what kind of farming do you do? My parents have a farm and we're only about 6 miles from them. We have horses and beef cattle and grow their feed. I look forward to the warmer days so I can spend more time there. Grew up on the back of a horse! After not having a horse about 10 years, I changed jobs a few years ago so I could have one again. I now WFH, so have more time for riding. Hopefully living a healthy lifestyle will enable me to ride for many years to come! I knew I missed it, but didn't realize how much...it's that one thing that 'completes' me.

Crazysoccermom - hope you feel better today and good luck with your weigh-in!

Lisa

Lisa - skiing is hard work on the quads, I can't imagine doing it after STS Legs. Especially if the snow is deep!
You're lucky living so close to your parents - and having the chance to ride. I only get out for an occasional hack (on someone else's horse!). We have a small, organic farm, with rare breed pigs and hens, sheep and goats. We grow a small amount of animal feed, but lots and lots of vegetables and herbs (we supply a bakery with organic herbs). I have the joy of never having to buy meat! We don't have cattle (if I want beef, we swap with a local beef farmer) - but I'd love to raise some. We're running out of space!!! We made the move to farming as a lifestyle choice when my husband became 'burnt out' from a stressful job and fell ill. My grandparents farmed, so it's in the blood.
Do you ride often? Do you have a horse, or ride those at your parents?

Crazysoccermom - 40-40-20 sounds great - it's what I aim for (although I'm hopeless at weighing stuff). I'd be interested to hear about the inner circle, and what you gain from it. Let us know about the weigh-in!

Today I walked the dogs 5 miles, then did FlexTrain and Ilaria Montagnani's Powerstrikes 6. Glad it's a day off tomorrow!

Justine

Crazysoccermom - 40-40-20 sounds great - it's what I aim for (although I'm hopeless at weighing stuff). I'd be interested to hear about the inner circle, and what you gain from it. Let us know about the weigh-in!

Justine

Thanks ladies - I made it! Somehow the whoosh fairy delivered and I dropped to just below what I needed. Running errands around today and I will get my preempted Legs workout in this afternoon. Tomorrow is Costco in the am and Chargers playoff game at 1. Go BOLTS!

Kudos to you crazysoccermom! See that hard work does pay off!

Yes, I have my own horse. He is a quarter horse. That's him in my profile picture. I'm in PA, so don't really ride this time of year, but as soon as winter breaks, I try to ride 4-6 days a week. My husband also rides. During the summer we do some overnight camping with friends. We all have trailers, go out for a daily ride, then come back to cook around the camp fire. It's a lot of fun.

My brother has 2 draft horses & they do some farming with the horses. In March we will gather sugar water with them to make maple syrup. My dad has 2 mules and they skid some logs with them. There is always something going on! I didn't appreciate that lifestyle growing up as much as I do now. Just proves we do get wiser as we get older :p

Lisa

Lisa, your horse looks very handsome! I'm jealous of your brother - I'd love to have some working horses for our farm.....yet another thing I want to add!

Well done Crazysoccermom - so glad the 'woosh' happened in time! You've spurred me on.

Long walk today (it's got really cold here, so I had the most enormous bowl of porridge when I got back) and yoga tonight.

I've noticed that my heart rate is down a lot since I cut out the booze. About 20bpm less than usual on my daily walk. Interesting. Hope it shows on my waist line too :eek:

Have a great week,
Justine

Completed all the workouts I wanted to this week and halfway through mesocycle 1. I love when I'm able to stay on track with a rotation. I continue to make improvements on my eating. I bought some snack size candy on clearance after Halloween. Even at bite size, having 1 or 2 a day DOES add up. I don't think I've had any in about 3 weeks.

I was down 1 pound this week. Considering I'm PMS, I'll take that as a good sign. Plus I didn't feel nearly as bloated and was more energetic than I have been the last few months.

Lisa

Hi! just quickly stopping to say I am still doing STS but due to a personal matter, I don't have time to do the check-in properly.

I hope everyone is doing very well and that this check-in will continue in the hopes that I can join again once this is over.

All the best!

PS: felt like STS disc 4 went much faster than STS disc 1, Cathe didn't talk as much between exercises so I had to rush the whole hour...it was fun though, I love working upper body.

Hi! just quickly stopping to say I am still doing STS but due to a personal matter, I don't have time to do the check-in properly.

I hope everyone is doing very well and that this check-in will continue in the hopes that I can join again once this is over.

All the best!

PS: felt like STS disc 4 went much faster than STS disc 1, Cathe didn't talk as much between exercises so I had to rush the whole hour...it was fun though, I love working upper body.

Molasses - I hope that everything sorts itself out soon enough. Take care, and I hope we'll hear from you soon,
Justine

Hi everyone!
Lisa - well done on the 1lb down. I think it's pretty difficult to lose weight while strength training (at least that's my excuse :confused: )
I went for an interval run this morning, then did disc 19 (chest, shoulders and tris). Triceps are funny things - if I can't do any more reps, I REALLY can't. With biceps I can sometimes squeeze out a partial, but with tris I just stop.

I've really hurt my hamstring - at the hamstring / glute tie-in. It must have been from kickboxing on Saturday, although it didn't hurt until I had finished running today. I've spent most of the afternoon sitting on a hot water bottle. I'll be really mad with myself if it stops me working out. I can just about cope with not shedding the extra Christmas pounds, but to have to rest as well would just leave me utterly frustrated. I'm so hungry at the moment that I'm just not losing.
Oh well - I'll pretend it's a 'bulking' phase, and I'll try to 'cut' soon. ;)

All the best,
Justine

Hey ladies - a quick pop in here. I am in an all-day company quarterly meeting.

I caught the nasty virus my son had on Friday, slept awful last night. No workout today, pushing back this week by at least one day. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Need a serious nap right now.

Take care everyone!

Hope you got that nap in crazysoccer mom!

Justine - my tris react the same way. Once they are done, they're done!

I completed Disc 7 today (Chest, Shoulders & Biceps). This one is packed with push-ups. I did about 1/3 of them straight legged, so that was my victory for the day. I even tried the ones with your arms on the ball. Cathe refers to them as Elmo pushups because your arms will be shaking like Elmo. :p

Time for some relaxation & reading before I call it a night.

Lisa

Sign-up for the Glassboro road trip is right around the corner. I would love to go and consider this a bucket list item! Have any of you ever attended one of Cathe's road trips?

Lisa

Lisa - well done on the push ups. There are so many in Meso1 - I'm nervous for next month!
Crazysoccermom - a quarterly meeting and a virus? A truly awful comination. Hope you're back to yourself soon.

Dog walk + Bob Harper's Ripped Core today. May try to do a step dvd tonight - nothing too taxing. Need to burn some calories though.

I'm thinking of doing the January rotation once I've finished STS. I've got the Gym style dvds, but have never really used them properly. I'd also like to do Xtrain again.....

Too much choice!

Justine x

Crazysoccermom - a quarterly meeting and a virus? A truly awful comination. Hope you're back to yourself soon.

Justine x

No kidding. Paid attention in the am .. but the PM was touch and go. Not over until 5, and home and in bed by 5:45. I'm still under the weather today. I have some preparation to do in advance of a big experiment tomorrow, but I think I can get out a big early and get home to help recover some more.

Crazysoccermom - hope you got home early, and got some decent sleep.

I have dreadful (wonderful?) DOMs in my sides from the core workout yesterday. I always seem to feel it when I switch to a non-Cathe dvd. Probably because I don't do them as often!

I'm running today (actually slightly dreading it), then STS legs, disc 20.

I'm eating too much at the moment. Although I've ditched the wine. One thing at a time, eh? At least it's all healthy. Just a lot of it :eek:

Hope everyone's well,
Justine

I did Bob Harper's Yoga Warrior on Sunday. That is one of my favorite yoga DVDs. I have all the DVDs from that series (don't recall name of it), but find it hard to steer away from Cathe for too long. Heck, I'm even having trouble staying away from the newer workouts while doing STS. It's a sad thing to be overwhelmed with too many good choices :p.

The one thing from BFFM that is working for me is the chapter on mental training. I'm taking small steps, but working on retraining my thought process. I'm also keeping a wellness journal with goals, breakthrough moments, etc. I've been at least trying to refrain from drinking during the week. I had a crazy busy day yesterday at work, then found that the apple cider my hubby was making into hard cider had leaked all through the fridge and on the floor (fortunately in the basement fridge), but still a mess to clean up. I really wanted a glass of wine, but stayed strong and felt accomplished for not drinking it.

My advice in that rant, try to make one change at a time until it becomes habit. You're all doing good things for your body, don't feel overwhelmed by trying to do it all at once. The one thing I keep asking myself is "I've been working hard, do I really want to eat that?" It's minor, but a gut check for me that is starting to take hold!

Have a great day all!

Lisa

I need to read that chapter on Mental toughness :)

I am feeling better today .. not 100%, but better than I have been the past two days.

Got up at 5am and did most of the Disc 7 Chest, Shoulders, Biceps disc (lots of pausing to blow nose made workout run long.) Stopped at 1hr and had 6 exercises left. Still a good day, though.

Tomorrow cardio? We will see.

Have a good day everyone!

The one thing from BFFM that is working for me is the chapter on mental training. I'm taking small steps, but working on retraining my thought process. I'm also keeping a wellness journal with goals, breakthrough moments, etc. I've been at least trying to refrain from drinking during the week.

My advice in that rant, try to make one change at a time until it becomes habit. You're all doing good things for your body, don't feel overwhelmed by trying to do it all at once. The one thing I keep asking myself is "I've been working hard, do I really want to eat that?" It's minor, but a gut check for me that is starting to take hold!

Have a great day all!

Lisa

Wise words, indeed. I'm going to re-read that chapter in BFFM. Like you said about feeling accomplished by not having a glass of wine - I should be pleased with myself that I'm managing at least 2 workouts a day, have given up drink, and am eating nutritious foods. I think my problem is replacing the wine with food - it's a boredom / habit thing. I gave up drink 2 years ago (lasted 18 months) and I put weight on in the beginning, just like now. And if I'd have found hard cider leaking out of the fridge, I may have got down on all fours and lapped it up. ;)

On to positive things - I managed my interval run today, and I did STS 20 - legs. My core hurts so much, however, that I couldn't do 1 legged sit 'n stands! I had no balance. I tried, though.
I have also discovered that I have a really tight IT band down 1 side - found out when I tried to foam roller. I can't even press my leg into the roller, let alone roll. It may explain a few other things, like a less flexible hip on that side. I'm going to work on it! So no formal yoga tonight - just IT band work.

Crazysoccermom - hope you keep improving. I'm sure the worst is over.

Take care all,
Justine x
PS Given I'm pyramiding down, and you guys are going up STS, I wonder if we'll meet in the middle????

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.