Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/28

Carolyn, Califa Farms is my favorite of the almond and almond coconut milk blends. I just cannot always find the almond and coconut mix. Sprouts actually carries their own brand. I guess you and I were posting about the same time. Once in awhile it is nice to do a workout that is not killer. I like how Suzanne Bowen breaks down the moves as she goes too.

Valerie, there are different varieties of yams and sweet potatoes. Japanese yams are darker orange flesh with a red colored peel. I think they are a bit sweeter tasting. I like the white sweet potatoes but they are harder to find. I see recipes calling for them. They work better in stews and soups. They are milder flavored and less sweet. The outside is light, more like a potato and the flesh is yellow white. It has been a long time since I have had one. They also have less beta carotene in them and are a bit more starchy. I went a bit heavy yesterday when doing the Ice Metabolic workout. I will be lowering a bit. I think there is a reason when Cathe says you may want to use lighter on some of the moves. I used mostly 12's and 15's and even picked up a 20 for one move, I think a plie or deadlift. My shoulders are sore in the front today. I was struggling with the weights I used today for triceps. My plan was to do Ice Upper Body tomorrow with some of Sweat but, I will have to see how the shoulders and triceps feel tomorrow. I may just do cardio or some lighter lower body stuff.

I've never seen Califa farms brand, and never seen any Japanese yam or sweet potato. I am always on the lookout for new things to try. will be looking closer.

Good evening ladies...

This morning was all about SB...Started off with Adv. Barre w/ SBF Ball then continued on with Lower body Mixed Cardio. Great leg workout today.

Deb...I had to think about what position you were talking about. Yes I do that move! SB has it in several of her workouts so I am familiar with it. Usually when I do it I have 1 1/2lb ankle weights! Hope you enjoyed the workout regardless. I do go a little heavier than what she does in the leg portion but stick with 5lbs for the arm workout. I have not done the ab workout. Gee what a surprise! :) And yes these look easy but they sneak up on you.

Diane Sue...I may never do the pidgeon stretch. My leg just will never get there. Did you like Rock em Sock em? I like the first part but did not care for the punching drills. Felt my heart rate came down too much.

Valerie...I have days like that. Glad you are feeling better.

Josie...glad your mom is doing better and really glad to hear your brother is behaving too. That is awesome you signed up for the MS ride. Good for you!

Carolyn...you are making me want to try out 4day Split! I am starting Xtrain September 12. Going to start off with a 30 day rotation then decide if I want to go longer. It has been a while since I have done a Cathe rotation. The past few rotations I have done have been Suzanne Bowen's. So this will be a challenge for me to stick to it!

Our new washer/dryer came today. What a great experience using Sears over BestBuy. Can't believe how quite the washer is compared to my old machine.

Have a great night all!!!!

Lori, I liked Rock em Sock em. I did some footwork through the punching drills wherever I could. I really liked the Blizzard Blast on this.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I met my friend for breakfast, we gabbed for hours...the day flew by.

Question: what is everyone using nowadays for flea prevention? I have been using a natural oil preventative, but it is just not working! I don't like using anything that has to be ingested, or those topical vials of stuff but the flea situation has gotten worse here...poor Keegan is biting himself to the point where he is bleeding. :(.

Question 2: anyone suffer from heartburn? All of a sudden I am getting this, never had much before...it is driving me crazy! Not sure what causes it, but I think I may have to stop drinking coffee...:(....(oh NO!!).....it goes on all day...sometime when I eat, or not...it doesn't seem to matter what I eat or drink...

Diane Sue, it sounds like maybe you found the right solution for your allergies, I hope that it continues to work. Maybe one of these days I will pick up some fresh beets and try them, just for something different. When you say you scrub and put in a slow cooker, you don't peel? Just add water? how long do they take? I would think you would want them to still have some firmness when done? I definitely need the elevation for burpees and mountain climbers. I figure if I am getting even 50% of the effect, it's worth doing instead of skipping.

Valerie, Sometimes you just need to take a day like that. Your body must be telling you that it need that break. I cannot get any part of a foot or leg to go on to the other knee, let alone cross over the other leg when sitting cross-legged on the floor etc. I can barely get my feet to meet the other leg. Sweet potatoes and winter squash are so good, just cooked and plain. Good that you are keeping the weights at a good level to prevent any injury...not worth it just to be at Cathe's level if it will cause months of pain etc.

Josie, so glad to hear that your Mom is doing better, and that your brother is cooperating. Good for you for signing up for that ride! Only 2 days....it will be a breeze for you. :)

Lori, Yay for the new washer/dryer and the Sears customer service! You said you got the stacked set right? Do they have the same capacity as the ones that are on the floor? Sometimes I have to blame the floor in our basement for not allowing me to do some moves...there is a definite slant to the floor, and I think it makes some moves harder for me to do. I actually have to put a rug under the end of my treadmill to make it level, that is how badly there is a dip in the floor. I like to use that as an excuse for some core work and now that weird knee raise move JS has in that workout! :). I do have DOMS from that workout.

Carolyn, do you like the Bootcamp workout from 4DS? Somehow I remember it being pretty high impact. I have not done that series in a while, but remember I didn't really click with any of the cardio portions except for the kickbox/leg one. I really liked all the weight work on those.

No class today because of the holiday weekend, I have to make the dog food, then maybe spend some time doing garden clean up....fall is just around the corner...

Hi Judy!

Take care,

Deb, I think I mentioned before that I used to take Nexium for years. Antacids did not work. It was altering diet that helped me. I use a greens powder every day to help keep my system more alkaline. A ripe banana Is supposed to help, or an apple when you have heartburn. I use apple cider vinegar in a large glass of water daily. Not lately though because it was recommended not to use with seasonal allergies. Fats and dairy can can really aggravate heartburn and reflux.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Earthquake this morning. Everything was rattling and shaking. I had to run and let Gertie in. This is not good for all of our brick homes and buildings.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Diane Sue.... I hope all is well there....how big was it? much damage or people hurt?

Just saw it on Yahoo....it looks like it stretched across multiple states...

Last edited:
I had my derm apt yesterday late afternoon, and stopped briefly at Costco afterwards to grab a few essentials. Deb, the refrigerated Indian simmer sauces are Maya Kaimal brand. they come ( at Costco) in a 2 pack of Coconut Curry and Vindaloo. I forgot to look at dating or price but if you don't go to Costco it won't matter anyway. I have used the shelf stable jarred sauces of another brand too. Costco has complete dinners of another brand, "Suri" something but I don't use anything completely prepared like that. sorry to hear about heartburn. Indian food may not be the best to try with that problem. DH doesn't like Indian food mainly for that reason. the sauces were mild and medium in heat, but I thought they were both mild and add red peppers to my serving to amp it up to my tastes. Costco was too busy to do a lot of searching, I needed to get in and out. as I recall the sauces are fairly caloric sounding, but if you add a lot of vegies and chicken or tofu and serve it over rice, it becomes a reasonable meal, IMO. Indian without the smelly-for-days kitchen!. I got several more servings per container than the numbers suggested.

deb, I am being careful with front raises. that seems to be the previous sore spot. it doesn't hurt now , but I remember it well. side raises, flys and tricep work don't activate it. I am still doing mostly knee push ups, but I do more in number and do them slower, hold in place, etc. Really don't want to hurt that shoulder spot again.
when I sit cross legged, my knees stay high. there is no way they will go down flat, to the right and left like I've seen many people do. years of yoga helped me sit that way more comfortably, but after a while I'd still need to tuck a block under my knees. I really think it's structural... we all aren't put together the same. I
the doc thinks my back issue is a fairly common nerve disorder and suggested some OTC cream to alleviate it. he does not think it's a contact dermatitis and says this type of itching and the location is very common. I have no rash... that would make a contact problem more likely. still, he says that if what I've changed recently has helped, keep it up. so I will keep to the mild shampoo, and not streaming my hair down my back when rinsing. for whatever reason, it was irritating the skin on my back maybe making the skin drier and more prone to itching. I had two small pre cancerous spots on my forearm that he froze. very small but I will need to be more aggressive with the sunscreen.

oh my earthquake. didn't hear about that yet. hope you didn't get any damage.

I could not tolerate the flea situation.... once you have a flea population in your house & yard , it's harder to control on the animals. I use revolution ( tiny vial) on my kitty during flea season. here, it's approximately from april to early nov. when they bite the fleas they expose themselves to tapeworms. I get bitten so badly I can't let any fleas set up housekeeping.

I spent my morning at the hair salon and didn't hear about the earthquake. Diane Sue, hope everyone is okay. It must have been frightening.

Deb, I do like the Bootcamp from 4 Day Split. It doesn't have a lot of high impact but I modify when necessary. It does have fast feet shuffle which I am terrible with. My version is very slow. I don't jump up on the step, I step up instead. Overall I like the workout.

Valerie, I am also very careful with shoulder exercises and I go light with the weights. I had an issue with my left shoulder 2 years ago and now it's my right shoulder that is bothering me. I am doing a few of the stretches that the PT recommended.

I'm headed out to Costco to pick up a few necessities.

Hello to everyone.

The only thing I had happen is some things rattled off of shelves in the workout room and I had a glass picture frame get broke. There are some buildings in different towns here that have lost brick off the walls. I heard a grocery store had to close so they could put stuff back. They showed it on the news and there was grocery items all over the floors. I have been through earthquakes in California so it was not such a big deal to me. I had to run ant let Gertie in. I had just let her outside just before everything started rattling.
Today I did Ice Low Impaact Sweat both workouts with the Blizzard blast, 57 minutes, 375 calories. I then used the free streaming from Suzzanne Bowen and did Advanced Lower Abs (I used a 5# soft Danskin Ball then realized it was just a small ball with air. Which I do have. I had to air it up for the next workout) The other workout was Advanced Barre Fire This was 46 minutes for both workouts and I burned 158 calories. Total time was 1 hour 43 minutes and calories burned 513. I have 3 grandchildren on their way over. I will come back later to respond to all of the posts.

Deb, I meant to say about the heartburn... I use WebMD to look up things. there are a lot of ads but the material is usually complete and not misleading. DH is bothered sometimes. he has the head of the bed elevated on blocks. I do NOT like this position myself. he uses Tums and occasional antacid. sometimes other meds.
the sphincter muscle between the esophagus and stomach can get weakened or relaxed allowing acid contents to go out of the stomach "uphill". the usual suspects are dietary.... coffee, chocolate, citrus like OJ, grapefruit, tomatoes, alcohol, spicy food. being over weight, stomach too full, going to bed too soon after eating, tight clothing. even exercises where your stomach is upended can trouble some people. that is all I can think of offhand. DH found carbonated beverages bothered him. if it came up suddenly, look at any changes you may have made.
We get earthquakes here, so far none has been catastrophic but we are always aware that geography here is subject to some potentially big ones
Carolyn, I still haven't been to a regular grocery to look at some of the NG breakfast change ingredients .
I had a shoulder issue maybe 2+ years ago on the front of my rt shoulder. never figured out what caused it, no injury I was aware of. I ended up with 2 cortisone shots. then it settled down. went to PT but letting it rest seemed to help it more than any therapy. I've slowly gotten back into upper body workouts but am wary of getting it aggravated again. I am particularly careful with front raises.

Diane Sue-I heard from some friends back home in Iowa that they had felt some tremors from an earthquake but I didn't realize the earthquake originated in Oklahoma. I'm glad that you are ok.

Deb, like Valerie I look at Web MD a lot or I also trust Mayo clinic. As far as that goes I was given the sheets of things to do at the doctors office along with meds and those websites go along with it. The only thing is I took all of those Nexium and a generic of it and after several years it just got worse. Our body needs some acid to digest our food that is really not where the problem itself begins. It is all back to find ways to heal the gut or digestive system so the body can work like it is meant to work. That is when I started looking elsewhere for alternatives that were nutrition based. I have found that the things that can still bother me is if I eat a lot of dark chocolate, particularly before bed. Also some glucosamine chondroitin preparations cause a little. I am not sure if it is those ingredients or the additional ingredients that they add to some of them. So far I have never had it happen with my Collagen supplement powders that I am using. The one from Dr Axe has some Tumeric and holy basil in it but those do not bother me. Do you use probiotics? Oh, and like Valerie said, going to bed with a full stomach can make it worse at night.

Valerie, I think some of the websites like Web MD stick with what the medical profession currently says. I really do wish that they would all get more into finding and treating the problem instead of just the symptoms the original has stacked up. More medicine, then consequences of that medicine, it just keeps going. After awhile the person has a half dozen medicines they are taking and are still sick.
The only places I have found different types of yams is Sprouts, a farmers market, and Akins Natural food Market. I think Natural Foods Market and Whole Foods carries them. At Sprouts I can buy all kind of things that I thought I would never find. Things like Yucca, Tumeric Root, water cress (which I do not like), endive. Things I see in recipes and wonder why they put that in a recipe book when the average person will never find in the grocery store. I still get that itching on my left shoulder area. My daughter looked at it but there is nothing there. Just marks where I must be scratching. It is so strange having itchy spots without something that is visible.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.