Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/28

My workouts came today. I am really having problems with my respiratory system the last couple of days. I find myself struggling sometimes just climbing the stairs. Today I am surprised I made it through the cardio workout. My heart rate got up to 170 according to the Fitbit. I know there was a couple of points where I thought maybe I was going to quit. I ordered another supplement to try. It is called D Hist . I read that a lot of people have had doctors recommend it to try for allergies. There are loads of good reviews and it is a natural sounding supplement. Vitamin C, Quercetin, stinging nettle, Bromelain from pineapple, N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine. All but the last ingredient were on Dr Axe list. I need to check out that last ingredient. I should have that tomorrow. It seems like each season gets worse.
I took a 15 minute nap and some Tylenol and feel better. I did disc 2 of Barre Amped Strength and Stretch, it is all stretching and felt really good. 55 minutes worth of stretching and a short relaxed meditation where I almost fell asleep. It really helped my neck and shoulders. I have coughed so hard that it is all back to hurting. I have not worked on splits in quite awhile. I was getting pretty good at those and the Breztzel when I was doing Thai Cheng. I liked those but often did just the neural reboot and not so much the thai chi. I think I would like the Thai chi better if I had the advanced workout where they move through all of it in a quicker flow. I see I can get a free month of streaming of Suzanne Bowen's workouts. I will have to check those out.

Valerie, I am the same way with fennel. A little goes a long way in cooking. I have tried fennel bulbs in salads before and did not care for it. I tried to grow some once and I think I let them sit in the ground way to long. The bulbs were useless and when they started to flower I had a huge swarm of black hornet looking critters. I had to spray so I could get rid of the plant. I think most flowers and plants smell much nicer in nature. Most scented oils are hard to appreciate because they are so strong till they are diluted in something. There are so many that I take a whiff of and think that is not what I imagined that should smell like. I am picky about brands of nut milks and coconut milk. They are not all the same. A lot have extra stuff added for the texture and as preservatives. I try to find ones without all of that. A lot of the Paleo community recommend that they have no carrageenan in them. For awhile I used Califa farms almond/coconut milk blend. Right now I seem to be stuck with So Delicious. Silk is often really sweet tasting to me even when it says unsweetened. I do not think dairy is bad for people. It is mostly taken out of diets because of a lot of people have problems digesting it. Some can tolerate, yogurt, kefir, and ghee even though they cannot drink milk. I buy organic milk for when it is used and make sure it does not have B-S-T used in it on the label. That is used to increase hormonal activity. It is banned in 27 other countries and is linked to cancer. You should check all of your dairy for that.

Carolyn, are you going to sign up for the free month of streaming with Suzanne Bowen? I thought I would wait till I have done all of my new workouts and then maybe check it out next week.

Judy, they are showing ragweed at a high level here right now. It is miserable. I try to stay indoors as much as possible.

Lorie, I am pretty familiar with all of the stretches on SB's Amped workout. It seems I have done most in varying forms in other workouts. A lot of the shoulder and neck stuff I did similar work on Sarah Beth Yoga you tube channel. Her stuff is pretty much all held in long stretches.

Lynda, I hope you are enjoying your trip.

Last edited:
There is lactose intolerance out there, especially for certain groups of people with families that didn't have a history of using dairy products beyond childhood. . I always make sure milk is bst free. most milk out here is. I've always liked dairy milk and no issues digesting it..... or just about anything else! I like silk almond milk, the 60 cal one. it's going on oatmeal, so a little sweetness is fine. I don't like much by itself. a lot of the lactose is fermented in products like kefir and yogurt, so it's not in sugar ( lactose) form anymore so even lactose intolerant people can often eat it OK. ghee.. I'm guessing because the milk solids are removed in the process of making ghee , it also would not bother someone lactose intolerant.

that is so sad that both you and judy are having so much trouble with allergies. How long does the season last? Does air filtration /or air conditioning reduce it at all? I remember ragweed problems in Wisconsin, but am not sure what the plant looks like. I had problems with plain old grass. I used to itch and sneeze so it drove me crazy but air conditioning would settle it down. I didn't realize exactly what the problem was until I noticed that my symptoms were dramatically worse after being on a gold course. mowing the lawn is almost as bad from the aerosol that gets stirred up. if DH didn't mow, I'd replace the lawn with gravel and bushes.
I've tried fresh fennel multiple times and can't get excited about it. it seems to end up tasting like cooked celery to me, at about 5x the cost. I've tried raw and cooked and felt meh about it. I don't hate it, but don't like it either.

Hi Everyone,

Today I did Turbo Barre and added 10 minutes of Abs of Steel at the end.

Deb-KCM mentioned new workouts on Facebook. From the clip she showed it looks like one will be boxing.
The thing I like about the Leslie Sansone workouts is that you can make them as hard or easy as you want. It's
still good exercise but it doesn't kill you. I actually ordered a couple more this week :) I think I will make use of
them this winter.

Lori-you will love doing pull ups with the new tower! My September rotation is going to be mostly XTrain.

Diane Sue-the ragweed has been very high here too, for the past few weeks. It came out early this year. Last year my ENT gave me a steroid shot that really helped, but I'm trying not to go that route this year. I will if I need too, but I know it's not good to make a habit of it. I take claritin during the day and sometimes benadryl at night. I've been staying inside more and that does help too. I know how you feel, it does seem like every season gets worse :(

Carolyn-great workout! I have the Suzanne Bowen Strengthen and Stretch DVD too. I think you will like it.

Valerie-ragweed pollen usually lasts through the fall, until the first frost. I'm allergic to other pollens too, so my allergies get bad starting in the spring. Air filtration does help and so does air conditioning. When we were taking care of FIL's house I did most of the mowing and it really stirred up my allergies. I was always getting sinus infections then too.
I drink fennel tea occasionally but have never tried fresh fennel.

Caitlin-I hope your move goes very well.

Hi to Josie & Lynda!

Judy

Good evening ladies...

Figured I'd try my luck with JS's 10lbs pound down and bought another one on EBAY. Has 2 workouts...one is cardio based and looks fun and the other is Total Body Tune Up which is what I did this morning. Tougher than I thought it would be. Was just under an hour and you use 5lbs throughout. I increased a couple times and used 8's 10's and 12's at one point. Really liked it.

All this talk about Xtrain I am going to do a 30 day rotation. I may thrown in some live and sb barre every now and then. Perhaps with the Live I can substitute a similar workout here and there. Going to start 9/12. I leave for Charlotte on Wednesday of next week coming home Saturday. Going to visit Madeline. She did real well for the first year but has had some challenges the past few months. Breaks my heart.

Valerie...nice ride. I hate when I forget to stop my timer! I have done this a few times now. Good to mix weight workouts up. I am looking forward to doing Xtrain.

Deb...I think the same thing when I see Judy did a leslie sanson workout. I have done a few and actually can get my heart rate up by increasing the intensity. We did them for a while with the lunch ladies. I agree it is good to balance. Let me know your thoughts on the JS DVD. I was putting Chia seeds in my morning shakes along with Flax seeds. I was very much onto my green shakes and need to get back to them.

Carolyn...let me know your thoughts on the SB Stretch. Her streaming is a lot of targets but I like that. To be able to pick and choose and add on here and there is perfect for me.

Diane Sue...hope it is just allergies and you are feeling better soon. So exciting when new workout DVD's arrive!

Judy...I agree with the Leslie Workouts and that is why I can get my heart rate up... it is easy to do if you add more intensity in and when it is all done you had a great workout but not exhausted. I probably will not preorder the new KCM. I liked the live aspect of her most recent and that is why I ordered.

Caitlyn...I bet you can't wait for this move to be over. I would be a crazy person at this point after all the delays. Hoping the 6th is the date for you.

Have a great night all!

Valerie, fennel was one of the things I found myself picking out of food. It just did not have a texture and flavor that I cared for. There are certain things I gave a chance with more than one recipe and gave up on. I feel the same way about plantains. Paleo recipes use them quite a bit and I have tried multiple times and they are so bland. Not tasty at all.
I keep allergen filters in my air units and have a large Honeywell air purifier. I still have the allergy symptoms , but I can tell the difference when I go out of the house to the store or something. I just seem to be allergic to most seasonal allergens. You would think winter would be great but it always seems I only get a couple of months. Last year we used our gas fireplace because it was so cold. I don't know if it was dust or the gas, but every time we turned it on I would start coughing and my eyes would water. I think that is when I get hit by some cold viruses. I usually get a short reprieve mid summer too. That is about it.

Judy, I cannot take Claritin or Benadryl. They leave me groggy and foggy brained. I have tried so many things and the doctor has given me different inhalers. I just feel the side effects are as bad as the symptoms when I get desperate enough to use them. I even tried sticking it out with the Claritin thinking I would get used to it and it never happened. It is not like the commercials where you see people suddenly feeling wonderful, playing with the kids outside or something. I like working in the yard and being outside so it really does make me sad. We have had our grandson come over and do trimming and weeding, mowing for me.

Lorie, I am guessing that disc 1 of Barre Amped Strengthen and Stretch is a bit more active than disc 2?? I am going to work those two workouts in to my other workouts this week. I like to go through new workouts right away to be sure nothing is wrong with them. Also it gives me an idea of how I want to incorporate them into other workouts. Is Total Body Tune Up one from the yoga tune up series or something else?

I did a rock'em sock' em premix that had a blast and a meltdown in it, then did the core 1 workout. not sure I ever did the kickbox entirely, think I pulled a muscle the first time I did but noticed.... and stopped before it got worse. this time it went OK. I don't like jumping jacks or turning around. I skip turning, and don't "jump" for the jacks. will see if I feel OK tomorrow. this was a tricep giant set, and I used 10 lbs for the whole thing. If I don't get sore, I could go to 12 next time.

I am not sure if this procedure is still done, but desensitization shots used to be a way to deal with debilitating allergies. you would go thru a few weeks of gradually increasing doses of whatever substances you are allergic to. you had to go to the office, get an injection of a diluted dose of what you are allergic to, wait for 20 minutes to be sure you were OK. over time, it diminished your response. I did it 30+ years ago. I thought it helped me a lot since grass is very hard to avoid. I don't know if this is still considered a reasonable treatment..... if you are bothered this much of the year, it might be worth asking about. I found out thru testing that I was allergic to a whole load of things, but IRL only the grass seems to be an issue for me.

Hmmm plaintains... I tried those too, but they make plain potatoes look flavorful. maybe I expected too much, like some flavor.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Shredded Upper Body w/ball....49 minutes, 219 calories...not a huge calorie burn but this is a definite keeper for an upper body workout. The core work with the ball is killer. I had to modify somewhat.

Caitlin, great that you have a date for moving. That is next week...it will be here before you know it.

Diane Sue, making those spice mixes is a good idea...especially if there is something in the store bought one that you don't like, such as lavender. We purchase a sausage making mix, at Penzy's, or at a store we have here called The Sausage Maker. He has all the equipment, grinders, spices, patty molds etc for making sausage. I hope that new supplement works..it sounds good. Even if the last ingredient is questionable, unless it is something you are allergic to, I would try it...better to be able to breathe! I knew about the carrageenan, but not that other stuff! I will have to check the label on mine.

Carolyn, you will have to let us know what you think of that SB workout.

Valerie, funny...my grandmother loved lavender fragrance too...she had all kinds of powders around her bedroom with lavender smell. I must have given her 10+ boxes of lavender sachet powder for Christmas when I was young...she loved every one...probably had them stacked up somewhere....waiting for the next year's gift...:). I think its the sugar content in dairy milk that has the bad rap like you said. I love skim milk, but stopped drinking to too. John uses 2% for cereal, so once in a great while I will have a glass of that. I agree using almond milk makes the oatmeal more creamy. Like Diane Sue mentioned, the Nourishing Gurus recommend that you use almond milk or any nut milk that doesn't have carrageenan in it...Almond Breeze doesn't and that is what is readily available here. I like the unsweetened vanilla one. Have to check out that other stuff though....I thought plaintains were like bananas....shows what I know! LOL

Judy, thanks for the info on the new KCM. I will have to go over there and see...sorry about the allergies...I hope they settle down soon. I can understand why you would not want to get one of those shots too often.

Lori, that other JS sounds good! I previewed the Leg only premix from the one I got and may do that today. It does look harder than you would think. That is so great that you are going to visit Madeline. I bet she is happy and looking forward to your visit. Anything that brings up the spirits will help her. I am very tempted to do an xTrain rotation, but would need to figure out how to fit in a Live Metabolic workout! I can't give those up....LOL.

Hi to Josie & the travelling Lynda,

A workout, and not sure what else is up for today...maybe some painting. Still have not finished painting our front porch and door...it got so hot, you couldn't even stand out there for long...we have a southern exposure there and the sun beats down on that porch...

Take care,

Good Morning Ladies,
This morning I did 4 Day Split Lower Intensity Step w/shoulders,calves, and core. After that I tried the Suzanne Bowen Barre Power Stretch. I really liked the stretch and I can't wait to try the others. I can already see that I will be adding these to my regular workout schedule. I don't think that I will try the streaming just yet. I was using Cathe's Yoga Relax at least once a week but I need a change.

I use Silk almond milk original unsweetened. I use it for smoothies and oatmeal. My husband likes low fat dairy milk with his cold cereal. Dairy is one of the things that my daughter is allergic to so we have tried many non dairy alternatives.

Diane Sue, I suffer with allergies as well but nothing like yours. I've never tried supplements. I take Claritin and drink a lot of ginger tea.

Hello to everyone.

I will take another closer look at the NG recipes and head off to shop later today. Especially when the temp drops, I seem to need some peanut butter on ww toast to get thru the morning. maybe if I changed up the oatmeal a little, I could get by with less.
DH went off to mt bike this morning. I had trouble sleeping last night so decided to skip it and do a shorter workout here.
I looked closer at the silk almond milk, and it is sweetened with cane sugar. it's not very sweet but slightly sweet keeps me from plunking a load of sugar on the oats. I need to look for carrageenan... forgot.
I had a recipe for plaintains I tried numerous times. they were baked and then sautéed? they have a dry consistency and made me think a little of a sweet potato but without any flavor.... not much of a recommendation! Never made a hit here. I worked my way through most vegetables one at a time, trying different preparations. never could get together with DH on most root vegetables. it would be nice to find a way to prepare rutabagas, turnips, beets in ways we like but so far no. I like a little piece of beet (in vinegar) on a salad as a garnish but am far from eating a bowl of them. I don't like pickled things including pickles. I like a lot of vegetables but still quite a few I don't use but would if I could find a way I liked them.

Deb, the grandmothers.... not big on bathing.......... she just dumped on more cologne. this was back in the 50's, really, a different era. people got their hair done and pasted down with wave set, both of my grandmothers... they didn't wash it for months. She lived in a very old house, she was fat, and I don't think she used the bathtub more than very occasionally. In fact, neither grandmother did. had T2 diabetes and had bleeding sores on her legs. but she always reeked of lavender. lavender was her favorite color too. hygiene expectations have changed a lot since then.

Lori hope you have a good visit with Madeline. brave of you to travel over labor day.

Today I did Ice Metabolic Total Body workout with the blizzard blast, 61 minutes, I used the calories burned calculator which is generally lower than map my fitness but more than Fit Bit, 363 calories. The blizzard blast on this one had a lot of jacks and burpee variations. I went heavier on the weights but not real heavy. I then did Muscle Meltdown chest, 16 minutes, 53 calories. I finished off Suzanne Bowen Bar Amped Strengthen and Stretch Advanced Active Stretch, 28 minutes, 74 calories. I really liked the way she worked the pidgeon move. Total time 1 hour 45 minutes, calories burned 490.
Muscle Meltdown Chest giant sets 5 exercises 12 reps 3 rounds
Incline push ups 12 reps each round
bench press 20's, 17.5, 17.5 dumbbells
flat bench fly 17.5, 17.5, 17.5 dumbbells
incline bench press 17.5, 17.5, 17.5 dumbbells
incline bench fly 17.5, 17.5, 17.5 dumbbells
I really felt weak on these today. That and chest work is not a favorite.

Valerie, I was reading about a dao histamine blocker. In some of this literature I did read that there was a way to desensitize gradually from allergens. I am planning on doing the entire Rock em Sock em tomorrow. I remember my grandmothers having powder boxes. One I do not remember much with her and scents. The other sold Avon so there was all kinds of scents. Usually I felt they were too strong. My mother loved Lily of the Valley. I was always buying her that. It was that and Avon's original scent Skin so Soft. I like beets on salads. I tried roasted rainbow beets recently, but I think I like red beets the best. I have spiralized parsnips and fried them in coconut oil to use as crispy burger topping. This was from a Paleo recipe. I had a grandson here once when I did this and he really liked it.

Deb, I took some of those pills this afternoon. I have not noticed anything yet. I went and read up on the last ingredient. There was lots of interesting studies done with it. They use it to protect the kidneys with Tylenol overdose. It loosens mucus so I guess that is why it is in the pills. Plantains do have a slight banana taste. Sort of like a very green banana but less sweet. They are also a different texture. They are harder to peel and do not mash easily. I have tried them fried in coconut oil, baked, made into some sort of biscuit. Unless something tastes really good I am not likely to go back and make it again.

Judy, it looks like Kelly will have heavy bag in her new workouts? I saw something with her on Facebook. I have not went and checked yet.

Carolyn, I have bought Silk unsweetened before and once in awhile it seems they put the wrong milk in the unsweetened carton. I put some in my iced coffee once and thought I had bought the wrong one but when I read the label it said unsweetened. This has happened several times so I quit buying it. I prefer some others for taste anyway. I have a pretty large collection of stretch and yoga workouts. I would get really tired of doing the same one all of the time.

Good evening ladies!

This morning was Live Boxing, Hiit Blasts and Core...I skipped the core though due to time restraints. Calories burned was 324 on my Polar HR and 285 on my Apple Watch. So I guess it is somewhere in between! I used 1lb weights for all the blasts to up the intensity.

Deb...the new JS I did was surprisingly tough. I forgot my HR monitore and would have liked to see calories burned on this one. Not sure it I will ever do the cardio workout. It did look fun but just not my style. That core on the ball is killer all right. I really felt my abs the next day! I am really going to try and stick with Xtrain. So we will see!

Valerie...I leave on the Wednesday after Labor Day. I hate traveling over holiday weekends. My mom loved beets. Everyone else in the family hated them. Every Thanksgiving I put some beets on the table for her then throw them away after dinner. It is weird that I do that but it makes me smile at dinner when I see them.

Carolyn...the Power Stretch is my favorite on her DVD! I feel great when I am done.

Diane Sue...glad you enjoyed the stretch - that one is a tough on! I have a long way to go before I can do it with modifications!

Have a great night all. Any plans for the holiday weekend? We are just chilling. Going out to dinner Saturday and will have a couple of evening fires but that is it.

Lorie, I went back and did the Power Stretch this evening. I really liked it. I could never get my knees at the angle she has them on the pidgeon move on the Advanced one. It is the same when I sit with my feet on my knees. It almost hurts and my knees pointing up, not out. I used to think I could work on this and do it but I think I would have to break some bones to get in some of those positions. I have pretty good flexibility for the most part. Balance is best on the left leg. I like working on balance. I feel it is important. I was thinking today that I should try out my Polar heart rate monitor along with the Fit Bit and Map my Fitness App with these new workouts. I am usually pretty good at guessing which device is the closest. I think it also depends on how much of your stats the device is able to use. If they have fitness levels or VO2 max I would think it would be closer to accurate, depending on how accurate it collects the heart rate. I often wonder where they all get their measurement methods. I always planned my trips around traffic. Holidays are always so busy. I am sorry to hear that Madeleine is not doing well. I am sure that it will be a bit of light to her having you come and visit.

Good Morning!
Yesterday I did Jessica Smith's 10 Pounds Down, 20 minutes Legs. I almost didn't want to type this, it seems like such a wimpy workout. It was pretty good though...tougher than it looked in the clip.

Carolyn, great workouts!

Valerie, sometimes I add vanilla protein powder to my oatmeal...it sweetens it and helps balance out the carbs so that I am not starving an hour later. It may take a couple of times to get used to the change in the oatmeal though. I am embarrassed to admit that I have never had a fresh beet, in any form. We always had canned when I was a kid, and I hated them. I don't even think about trying a fresh one...that is pretty dumb, I know. What is the best way to cook them?

Diane Sue, do you do burpees? I use my old Firm step and just do them going down to that instead of the floor. Makes a big difference and I can actually do them. I think I get a lot from them, even doing that modification. I could maybe do half, if not less of the reps if I had to go to the floor. I hope those pills help you.

Lori, Did you see that yesterday's Live was Total Body Barbell Burn? Yes!! I get to use my body bars...This is definitely going to be my next workout. :) I love that you put those beets out on Thanksgiving. Good that you are flying after the holiday, but it will probably be busy...everyone going home. No plans here for the weekend, maybe stuff around here, painting, weeding the garden, etc. As for the moves in the JS one I bought, I cannot for the life of me raise my hips when on my stomach, knees bent and feet together! Can you do that?

Hi to Judy, Josie, Lynda, & Caitlin!

A workout, then meeting my friend for breakfast this morning,

Take care,

Last edited:
Deb, fresh beets are so much better than canned. I like them with a bit of grassfed butter and some salt and pepper. I THE are a bit of work though. I find the simplest way to fix them is to scrub like a potato and put them in the slow cooker. Sometimes I roast them coated with a bit of avocado oil. Cool them a bit and the skin usually comes off fairly easily. Then dice or slice.
Yes, I do burpees. If my knees or shoulders are bothering me a lot I use my pull up bar that has the ability to be push up stands and grabit. It gives me a little elevation. I didn't need it yesterday though.
We are not doing anything this weekend. I have two of the younger grandchildren coming tomorrow while their parents go out for my daughter's birthday.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Without pictures some of the positions are hard to visualize... but I think for me, the issue starts at the hip joint. when people sit cross legged or "lotus", it really starts higher up than the knees. my hips do not allow my femurs to rotate "outward" like that . yes, diane sue, there would need to be some bones breaking to allow that!! after 10 yrs of yoga I was no closer than on day one, and I'm actually fairly flexible in most ways. "fire log" position was a joke for me. pigeon pose, is another that I can't align the way some people can. my knee goes up, my toes point down, rather than out at right angle like I see some people do. I get the stretch in my hip/glute, but it doesn't look the same. FWIW, some totally unfit people showed up at yoga and could do lotus and firelog immediately, so I don't think it's a judge of how fit or flexible you are, just how your joints are hooked together & aligned.

Deb, don't feel bad about beets. I get pre cooked beets in a shrink wrap near the boxed lettuce. they are small, and are slightly vinegar-y. to me that cuts the sweetness... and I like them. I do not like sweet sour, though. I like about 1 small beet, as a salad add in, but DH doesn't care for them. I don't like canned beets either. so I occasionally buy the pre cooked ones and enjoy them. I've tried roasting them like diane sue and am only so so. they stain everything so I'd use exam gloves to work with them. I get the stain under my nails or on the cutting board and can't scrub it out. I will give them another try this year. and maybe turnips. no luck with those yet either.
Lori, that is such a original way to honor someone's memory.
I've learned to enjoy winter squash and sweet potatoes seasoned with things like chili, cumin, etc. my family drowned everything in butter & brown sugar. I was an adult before I realized the vegetables were good if you didn't sweeten something already tending toward sweet. I guess I have a kind of love /hate relationship with sweet.

I would never ever use coconut milk in my coffee. plain non fat milk is what I want in my latte. nothing remotely sweet.

I had an off day yesterday, and took a long nap in the afternoon and then slept all night too. no workout. just didn't feel good and was so tired. much improved today.

Hi Ladies,

My mom is doing much better and she is also getting stronger with the PT. My brother seems to be behaving and not causing any more problems.
My other brothers and I have been visiting often to make sure everything is running smoothly.

This week I did my usual workouts, spinning, bodypump and Karina's workouts. Tomorrow I plan on doing a bike ride, probably just 30 miles.
I signed up for the MS ride from Irvine California to San Diego. It's a 2 day ride and I signed up for the 75 mile ride on October 22 and the next day we are all doing 50 for the return trip. I felt great last Sunday when I rode 25 miles on a hilly course. I was a little worried that I was out of shape since I have not been on my bike since the Aids Life Cycle ride.

Judy and Diane Sue, It must be miserable dealing with your allergies. Hope that it gets better.

Deb, no plans for this weekend other that visiting my mom on Sunday.

Carolyn, welcome to the group! I live in Los Angeles California and I just turned 60. I have 2 kids a son and a daughter and 5 grandkids, 4 boys and 1 girl.

Lori, enjoy your trip.

Valerie, hope that you feel better today.

HI to Garnace and Caitlyn!

Josie

Hello Everyone,
My workout was later this morning because I had a medical appointment. I did 4 Day Split Bootcamp w/triceps and biceps. I need to decide what my workouts will be next week. I am thinking about ICE and X Train rotation. I am another person who does Leslie Sansone! I agree that you get a decent workout without killing yourself. Some days I just want a less strenuous workout.

Josie, it's a pleasure to "meet" you.

Diane Sue, I picked some of the Califia almond milk today to give it a try. I hated canned beets which is all l had growing. I was shocked when I tasted a fresh roasted beet. I usually roast a few to use in salads.

Valerie, I find that there are some stretching or yoga positions that I just can't do. One of the things that I noticed with Suzanne Bowen is the way that she breaks down movements into small steps. That helps me.

Have a great day.

Today I did Ice Rock em Sock em premix main workout and blizzard blast, 62 minutes, I used the calorie calculator and got 483 calories. I would love to think that Map My Fitness was correct. It uses the same heart rate from my Fit Bit Blaze and it had me at 677. Fit bit had me at 389 which I felt was too low. HR was 134 avg./163 max. I also did Icey core 2 and Muscle Meltdown triceps, 25 minutes, 98 calories. I wanted to monitor these separate from the cardio workout. I finished off with Barre Amped upper body stretch, 13 minutes, 25 calories. Total time was 1 hr 40 minutes.
Triceps giant sets 5 exercises 12 reps 3 rounds
overhead triceps extensions 15,15,15 dumbbell pair
kickbacks 15,15,15 dumbbell pair
dips 12 reps feet extended 3 sets
lying triceps extensions 15, 15,15 dumbbell pair
close grip bench press 15,15,15 dumbbell pair
I feel somewhat better today. Maybe those new D hist capsules are starting to work. I hope so. I still woke up at 4 am coughing though. Maybe it will be better tonight.

Valerie, I would guess a lot is due to the hip. When I try to put my feet on top of my knees or even cross my legs I can feel it in my hip and low back. If I try to force it it hurts. I just gave up and do what I can do. I learned my lesson when I kept trying to do side balances and raise 1 leg. It put so much stress on my knee and would hurt. After surgery it still hurts so I just do not push it. I go as far as I can and that is it. We all have different body mechanics. I had half of a hasselback sweet potato from dinner Wednesday and used it at lunch with the Mexican Taco Meat from the Fixate cookbook on top. It really tasted good that way. It was a Japanese yam and I had roasted them with the cuts in them and drizzled with butter mixed with rosemary and some garlic powder. I love eating them that way.

Josie, I am glad to hear that your mother is doing better. It sounds like you still have the stamina for a long ride. That would be a nice long ride.

Did Metabolic total body again along with icy core. I am not at Cathe's weight on many of the moves yet, a little below. I'm hesitant on one armed front and over the head raises. my left is fine, my right is still not quite as strong, and I do not want to reactivate the rt shoulder issue. so I'm still doing 8's on most things rather than 10's, 10's rather than 12. not getting sore but nervous about straining the front of my shoulder. next run I might go up on my left and see how it goes.

I cannot even begin to get my feet on my knees. it's so easy for some people! my former yoga teacher used to have a technique to "trick" people about getting into that position and it worked for many. did not work for me. she routinely gave me a different task as it was structurally not going to happen. I also can't do side planks with my feet stacked. I have to block them against a wall to do it. just one of those individual things.

I don't know ....what is a Japanese sweet potato or yam ?

I will give a roasted beet a try again..... worst case is I'll have to slice it and sprinkle with vinegar.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.