Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/23

Today I did Lean Legs & Abs, timesaver premix with Chair, Firewalkers, Bonus Barre & Stretch and a 10 minute Jessica Smith ab routine.

Deb-I'm glad Kylee is doing better. I also tend to do the same workouts over and over.

Diane Sue-When I do longer rides that aren't spinervals I usually watch a Tour de France dvd. I have most of them from the last 20 years. The dvds are 2-4 hours long and show the highlights of the race. They are much more interesting than watching the actual race because you only see the best parts. I would not want to watch a bike race any other way. Like you said, it's not really a spectator sport, but I do enjoy the videos.

Lori-That's great that you can do the plyo workouts so easily. Cathe is a great trainer! I'm not surprised that her workouts are more intense than some of the P90x workouts.

Carolyn-I will have to try the RWH upper body circuit soon. I really enjoyed XTrain. No dread factor for me at all.

Valerie-I agree, cycling does not make a good spectator sport. I did volunteer to work the wheel pit of a criterium once and it was kind of fun. The bikes were just flying by, right next to where we were. All of the riders had spare wheels and if they needed one we would grab it and run it out to them. Criteriums are crazy fast, lots of crashes, kind of exciting to watch but hard to follow.

Judy

Good morning,

No workout yesterday...I will probably get back to it in a day or so. I just was so stressed, that even though I know a workout could probably help, it was the last thing I wanted to do. We spoke with the dog's owner's last night. They called us. It has been very messed up with the Dept of Health, and the Dog Control people involved. Typical government agencies, neither one knows what goes on with the other and they have conflicting protocols with what is considered a "dog bit incident". The dog's rabies vaccine was about a month behind, which did not make me happy, however I know that these vaccines can last for years...( we have not vaccinated Kylee or Keegan for distemper or parvo since their first booster shots after their puppy shots. We opt to have their blood tested to see the level of the serum in their systems and it has always been enough to protect the dog. The Health Dept put the dog on a 10 day "observation at home"...and at the end of 10 days, if the dog is healthy, it is ok. Long story short, they said they will pay all vet bills, and plan on after the 10 day observation, having her vaccinated, and then are turning her back to the shelter. I am so glad. If they did not do that, we were going to file a Dangerous Dog report on the dog, which involves court time and hearings with witnesses etc.

Sorry for the long post on this topic....hopefully by the beginning of August, this nightmare will be over...

Valerie, I love the way you say:.."yesterday was just a 15 mile ride"....15 MILES is no joke! LOL...:) That was a close call with your cousin and the bike....good that no one got hurt.

Carolyn, those travelling push ups are tough! They sure do get the heart rate up....I wish I could remember how Lori described the standing mountain climbers....was it a Youtube video?

Diane Sue, good combo of workouts as usual! :). I feel the same as you about watching some sports on TV....golf, baseball....borinnngg!

Lori, I remember the Ab Ripper workout...it was tough but I found that the more I did it, it got easier. I probably could not do it today though.

Judy, I never heard of that type of bike race...it sounds interesting, and I bet it was exciting and fun to work it. Have you ever ridden in one?

Have a great day!

Deb-this is the bike race that I volunteered at:

http://www.quadcitiescriterium.com/

It was fun to watch. I had some friends that rode it but I never got anywhere near that level. I did ride in a duathlon with a partner. She did the run and I did the bike. That was fun. I also did a mountain bike race 4 years ago. I really enjoyed it, but not sure I will do anything like that again.

Valerie-I missed your close call. That's really good that you didn't crash.

Deb where are you this morning?? Whoops. Excuse me . I started this post and a bunch of new postings just showed up so. Hope you got some rest. A rough patch for you! I imagine the added stress you must be exhausted as are your pups.
No workout yesterday. Did a load of shopping and DH decided to change batteries in the alarm system so a difficult afternoon. Our system needs upgrading. We have sensors on windows and doors and each has a battery. Good that the people are at least cooperating. I would think rabies is an extremely low risk . Best for everyone if they get rid of the dog. I hope it's put down so the problem doesn't transfer to some other family and neighborhood. that would be the main purpose in getting it reported correctly, so someone else doesn't adopt the dog and have this happen all over again.

Interestingly, I think before mountain biking, that would have surprised me and knocked me over. I had no clue she would run into my rear wheel. totally unexpected. mt biking has a lot of unexpected jolts and slips, so I barely wavered. I went off the pavement onto the grass but the dirt is as hard as concrete right now and walked back to help her up. Lori, this DH's cousin. he and his wife live about 30 miles away. we ride with them, hoping we can up their fitness level so we can go faster and further with them. Tai is a sweetheart, but only learned to ride about 2 yrs ago. she never learned as a child so she is not what a strong rider. they have these weird little folding bikes (Brompton) that have small wheels and are low compared to our road bikes. she is not that stable yet, so we don't want to take them out on real roads. this is a very easy 15 miles. it's close to our house so not a long commute, and works well for a more "social ride". but it's not exercise for me or DH at this pace.
https://www.google.com/search?site=....1.64.psy-ab..0.14.1101...0i131k1.G9zdoNQGhmc
Yes there are some activities that don't make for good watching. The guys on the Tour all look the same. If people from a country wore the same uniform every day , maybe you could tell them apart but every time I watch I can't tell one from the next. Yep, golf and baseball too.

judy it is cool that you've done some races. I used to ride with a group here, but no racing. doubt I ever would. I don't like riding close to anyone. DH has run into me from behind several times. too, usually when we approach an intersection, I stop abruptly for approaching cars. I don't proceed until they stop, but DH is more inclined to shoot right on thru. I keep telling him it's a death wish. most drivers stop as they legally should, but some just blast on thru. I'd say about 1 in 10. Anyway, he's hit me from behind but he's the one who falls over. stupid clip in shoes!

Carolyn I never feel like deadlifts work much except my low back. I don't think I am able to get back on my heels like most people.... some weird anatomical thing. I run thru them quickly and don't push weight levels.
Ab workouts are funny. I have a few I repeat regularly. I don't care for too many crunches, or those elevated twisting moves with legs in the air. they don't feel effective to me. used to do coremax until I got sick of it. levitation holds were impossible.

Last edited:
Lori, isn't it nice to go back and do a workout thatbused to be really tough, and it is notbso much so anymore? I did ab ripper so much. Thanks on putting together workouts. Sometimes i am just goingbthrough my cases and see one i think i would like to do and figure a waybto putvit together with something else, depending on what body parts i am wantingbto work.

Judy, now i understand how you can ride so long. Motivation and entertaining for you. That is great that you have done thevduathlon.

Valerie, i am glad thatbno one was terribly hurt with the riding incident. I started a comment on that yesterday that ended up long and deleted it. I guess i deleted all it. I get a bit too chatty sometime :) our next door neighbor just gotvan alarm system. We dont have one though. I think he gotvit as he is a lawyer and i have seen a shady looking guybdrive around our circle, stop at thevdead end when he saw me pull in, he pulledvoutvand was looking at the guys house as he left. He was in a beat up looking car. At the time i thought it was odd. When they had it installed the installers left my gate open. All of his boxes for electric, cable etc. Have to be accessed through our yard. Iwent to let Gertie out and she ran to check the gate being open immediately. I am glad she doesnt run out the gate.

Deb, i can imagine how much stress and anxiety thatbyou have had over this. One hand of government doesnt ever seem to know or care what the other is doing. I am glad the peopls with the dog are taking care of it. Gertie has had her shots a month or two late before. Like the time when shevwas sick. The vet said to hold off. Generally it is December and i get her in sometime that month though. I wouldnt have thought 1 month would make a lot of difference. It is hard to feel motivated to workout when under stress, and yes, if we can force ourselves to it sometimes is helpful.

Just to add....I know a guy at the city shelter, and spoke to him at length about what happened. I will be calling him again when they turn the dog in...he knows about the case, and the dogs actions. I would hope that they are responsible enough not to put this dog with another family...who unknowingly would take it...etc...

Today was Strong and Sweaty PHA Training. Workout time was 54 minutes with 296 calories burned. Average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 153.

Diane Sue, I usually check my Fitbit app to see all workout data including steps during the workout. A step or kickboxing workout has so many more steps than the one I did today. I know I am not moving around as much, but it is interesting to compare.

Lori, I have never done a rotation with STS. I have done parts of mesocycle 1 and 2. I always worried that it wasn't the right workout for my body type and could never feel motivated to do the full thing. After X Train came out I loved it so much that I forgot about STS.

Greetings to everyone and I hope you have a great day.

Deb, that's what I was thinking... agencies don't always talk to each other. it would be a shame if the dog got adopted out to people unaware of what it was capable of.

we did a road ride this morning. our first choice was not a "go" because the road was just chip sealed. lot of loose gravel and no good to ride until it gets pounded in and swept off. so we went to a road we couldn't ride last year because of the same process. it was 26 miles with some serious hills. my heart rate got up just fine!. most I saw was 136 but it might have gone higher without me seeing it. I can't figure out how to see some of the data on this watch. 2 hrs 45 min. this turned out to be a good ride with reasonable traffic some parts were really nice, some other parts just so-so. loose gravel is always troublesome.. some very big hills.

Today I did URX-MT Polyperformance , Plyometric, Intervals with Keli Roberts. This was 53 minutes, 339 calories, heart rate average 128/max 165, 3,334 steps. I then did YouTube Amy Ross workout 2 full workout with the rebounder and kettle bells, 31 minutes(I did the brief workout that was directly after the other that dropped off without the end) heart rate 136 average/ max 177, 199 calories, 2,271 steps. I finished off with Rebound Fit relaxation and stretch on YouTube, 18 minutes, 32 calories. Total time was 1 hour 42 minutes, 570 calories. I had to go to Walmart market. They are rearranging things and I had to hunt. It looks like they have a big project set up with equipment and trailers at one side of the parking lot. I will be avoiding as much as possible. When I went to Sprouts yesterday their fruit was really high priced and things like grapes were not the best looking. I needed watermelon and fruit for my husband as well as me. I had to get some shampoo and conditioner to help keep my color in. I used some oncNatural Color from Amazon and it says to use the color locking conditioner, leaving it on for 5 minutes till next time you color. I just bought something that said it helps stop color fading after seeing that the special conditioner from the same company was around 50 dollars. I liked the way my color came out and it did not irritate or cause those itchy bumps. Pricey, but worth it if I can just keep the color.
Steps so far today are 7,603. May make the 10,000 or a bit more today.

Deb, I really hope they do something with that dog besides let someone else have it and this happen again. Surely they won't.

Carolyn, I just discovered the other stats. I like how you can look at how your calories are burned and the steps for each workout. I really liked the STS results. I have done the rotation several times and shorter versions of it. I am not so good at the 90 day thing anymore though without getting totally bored.

Good evening ladies,

Today was Chest and Arms. I love this workout. I remember really liking it when I did this rotation a few years ago and I still like it. This was my only workout. We planned to do Ab Ripper when I got home then I was going to bounce but I bashed the back of my head on a steel rack. Stupid of me...bent underneath it to grab something and then just came straight up and bamm! Of course it was right where I had a bobby pin and it hurt so much I saw stars. I am fine. But a slight headache. Was really stupid of me.

Tomorrow is yoga and neither of us are in to that so we are going to do our own thing. I am doing some barre and he will be running on TM.

Judy...I like that section of LL&A and have done it many times. Funny when I did the Plyo workout 5 years ago it was so hard! It gets my heart up now but nothing like a good Cathe workout.

Carolyn...I also really enjoyed Xtrain and got really good results. I would love to do a rotation again but like Diane Sue it is hard for me to stick soley to a 90 day weight rotation. The only reason why I m doing this one is because of doing it with my son. Xtrain was fun though. Perhaps I can make up a hybrid. Going to think about this.

Deb...hoping they do not give that dog to an unsuspecting family. Good you called. You'll get back to working out when the stress of this has passed and Kylee is better. Workouts can wait.

Valerie...I remember now when you started riding with them. You are good people to ride with them! I know what you mean when you workout with someone but it ends up not being a workout with you. When I visit Madeline I like to go for speed walks for a good cardio workout. Her daughter always wants to come with me and does not keep my pace at all. I am patient though.

Diane Sue...I used to have that Kelly workout and for the life of me I have no idea what happened to it. I must have sold it. I was not into rebounding at the time when I bought it and had a really cheap rebounder. It looked fun but was not with the equipment I had. I have not done any of the Amy rebound workouts yet but plan to.

I am looking forward to Cathe's Live Road Trip workout using the Fit Tower!

Have a great night all.

Today, Gertie found a new game. While I was on the rebounder she would bring the toy and drop it on the the floor, if I kept jumping she would put it on the rebounder. I would reach down and toss it and she would come bouncing around shaking it and toss it back on the rebounder. Funny dog. We need to replace that toy. She has removed one of the squeakers which I threw away. I find pieces of it all over.

Attachments

• Gertie July 2017 (150x200).jpg
    Gertie July 2017 (150x200).jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 8
Lori, I am sorry that you hit your head on the rack. I am have hit my head a number of times on cupboards that I left open when I bend over and rise up. Mostly in the bathroom. You would think I would learn. That can almost bring you to the floor. I really like that Keli workout. Amy's rebounder was not broke on this one. It looks just like my Urban Rebounder but with the skirt removed. I need to look again now, wondering if the other was a Jump Sport.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday…and a stressful day again. Keegan was really sick yesterday….come to find out he had a pancreatic attack, we had to take him to the emergency vet last night around 8:00 pm….they kept him there…we got home around 11:30. He may have to stay another night, depending on how he reacts to the treatment…I am beyond stressed...:(

Diane Sue, that has to be pretty weird seeing that shady looking guy around...does the attorney think he is looking for him? How cute and smart Gertie is to incorporate a game that she likes into your workout...:)

Valerie, that sounds like a good ride. Do you use the highest gear on your bike to get your heart rate up? Or do mountain bikes not have gears? Shows how much I know about various bikes...NOT much...LOL...

Carolyn, STS is a really great series....once you get past Meso 1....LOL...:).

Lori, Ouch! I hope your head feels ok today. Was this at work? I am also looking forward to seeing the Live workout with the Fit Tower....I can't imagine how Cathe can get 100+ Fit Towers in one room with the people, cameras etc. She is amazing.

Take care,

Gosh Deb, when it rains it pours, doesn't it? well at least Keegan is in a safe place and you can focus on Kylee. Hope you get a break here and they both get better simultaneously.
Deb, you use the gear that is most efficient for the situation. One hill I couldn't get all the way up even in my lowest gear. it was steep, a sharp turn, and a big truck went by so I got off and walked the last bit. I got every other hill. you try to use momentum to get you up an oncoming hill, so roll as fast as you can approaching it, and then gear down to give yourself your best chance to get up. You need to be shifted to a lowest gear before you hit the steep part or you won't be able to keep going. some rolling terrain you can do with not much effort because the downhill propels you up a good part of the uphill. Not always! you need to be in lowest gear if you are going to need to push up part of a hill and you need to be in that gear before the steep part. if you have to stop on a hill, it's really hard to get going again. all the physics about a "body in motion wanting to stay in motion" and overcoming inertia. it's why most bikes try to roll thru intersections without stopping completely. much easier for a car to stop and get going , not as easy on a bike. shifting is hard to explain but pretty easy to do.
Mountain bikes have gears and work much the same way. bikes used to have 3 front gears. now most have two, and maybe 8 in the rear. so many different kinds of mt bikes!. some folks get carried to the top like on a ski lift and just ride down fast. they don't need a lot of gears.
depends on the kind of bike and what you use it for. shifting isn't complicated and becomes almost automatic. I always think of 'easier" or "harder" instead of "up" or "down"
Lori I have whacked my self on the head plenty of times. Tall people get used to watching for problems, but when short enough to walk under most hazards with plenty of clearance, I don't always pay attention. I can walk under all my cabinet doors when open. when I get nailed, it's usually a solid hit.

I did STS several times and liked all the cycles. I did not do the legs part completely because use hiking, riding for those parts

Diane sue gertie is adorable. I pictured her completely differently. I'd stand outside and take a picture of the suspicious guy, showing car and plate. and I wouldn't be overly subtle. let him know he is noticed. suspicious people don't want to be documented. I have many shots of dirt bag people cruising our neighborhood. I 'm sure they can see the camera flash. I keep them for a while and then delete. better than trying to memorize or write down plate #'s.

Deb-I'm so sorry about Keegan and all the stress you have had this week :( I hope Keegan will be ok.

Diane Sue-Gertie is so cute!

Today I did Cardio Slam, 53 minutes and 387 calories. Average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 156.

I had to go to Lowes to check on a light fixture that I ordered online over 2 weeks ago. It was supposed to be delivered to the store on July 17, but when I called I was told that it wasn't in yet. After a few more days I called customer service and was told that it was at the store, was given the Fed Ex tracking number and the name of the person who signed for it. I called the store again this morning and they still couldn't find it. I was on the phone with the store for 20 minutes then I was disconnected. I was really frustrated by that time. I went to the store and they searched some more before I cancelled the order and requested a refund. The manager canceled the original order but convinced me to let her reorder through their store system instead of online and she took $50.00 off. I will see if this works!

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did Kelly Coffey's Cardio Pump workout #1 which is mainly boxing, 29 minutes, heart rate 135 avg./165 max, 189 calories. I then did Plateau Buster premix one and two split ( not exactly sure the title) This was 1 set of each move alternating between the two workouts 29 minutes(26 actual) 156 calories, 115 avg. /152 max heart rate. I went a bit lighter with this today as I did not want to overwork my shoulders. I finished off with Fit Tower Advanced Boot Camp mish mosh cardio lower, 29 minutes, 145 calories. Total time was 87 minutes, calories 490.
Plateau Buster Split 12 reps of all dumbbell exercises (These are done in a bit different order than just from workout 1 to workout 2)
Squat with Press 12's
Step front reverse fly 12's
jumps and jacks
squat with single front raise lift 15's
side lunge stance single rows alternating sides 15's
toe tap /jump repeater knee
lunge front and dumbbell push front 5's
stir the pot 8#
side lunge with lateral raise 15's
squat biceps curl at the bottom 15's
pendulum knee pops and pendulum
hip drop into high pull 15's
reverse lunge, pause bicep curl 15's
split switches and ski jogs
step out and alternate dumbbells front 3 5's
shake the paint 8#

Deb, I am so sorry that Keegan is sick. I hope you get to take him home soon. That really adds to things. I don't talk to the neighbor too much. My husband had talked to him a few times and helped him out when a tree limb fell on his car during a storm and he had him come over and look at our house after all of the remodeling. His house is pretty much the same layout. He said he hadn't opened back up an office space and had been working from home. He uses the upper floor room like we have that overlooks the downstairs for all of his office stuff. Gertie loves a game. She often thinks when I get active that it is play time. She flies downstairs and comes back with toys and balls.

Valerie, when I had a bike with gears I never really knew how to use them. I think we are giving the bicycles back to my daughter since we are not using them. It seems there is always an excuse not to go riding. Gertie looks rather small for a 72 # dog when looking down on her from the rebounder. I have to sneak to get pictures because she does not like cameras. I don't even know how she realizes what it is. Even with the large tablet that I look at all of the time, if I try to take a pictures she is off before I get one. It is hard to get a good shot of her. We had another odd incident in our community. I went to Walmart and there was a man with a black SUV parked in the entrance to the park/ walking paths and he was taking pictures of the entrance sign with a camera with a huge lens. What was really odd I came back an hour and a half later, maybe a little longer, and he was still there doing the same thing. I could only see the front of the vehicle. Then, a few days later I was driving out of our neighborhood and there he was on the other side of the street with that camera taking pictures up at the back side of a two story home. Again I was facing the front of the vehicle. I forgot my camera that day and had thought I would get a picture when I came back. He was gone though, and I did not have a camera. I haven't seen him again. My husband says it sounds like he was doing surveillance while still being obvious. I thought it was really weird. Good idea to get pictures. It may help if something happens. I would have checked Next Door Neighbor to see if anything was mentioned, but after I made a complaint about the wet mail and mail boxes, they realized I was not using my actual name. They want names and your street. I don't want to put all of that out there. How do we know one of the neighbors is not one of the not so good people in the area? Nope, not doing it.

Carolyn, I hope that works for you. We have had similar incidents with Home Depot. A lot of the time it will say it will be here at a specific time then all of a sudden it is not going to arrive till the next month.

I have to go call AT&T and see what is up with that replacement phone. I have heard absolutely nothing since I did the online chat and they said they were going to send another phone with instructions to help with the problem. The other times I had the phone in 5 days and they emailed me when it was being sent. I am so tired of messing with the phone. I have still been trying to troubleshoot on my own. I used their troubleshooting the other day that they have added on the phone. Of course it ended up being the same as what is online. They asked me to rate it and I gave it a 1 which was not good and complained. They texted me back and said rate it from 1-10. I texted back and said "one" . That really ticked me off. Their online contact them does not help either.

Older bikes with the three sprockets in front and maybe 6 in the rear were harder to use. hard to determine what was the best gear. also harder to adjust cables properly. the newer ones ( quite a few years now) use two sprockets in the front, and more small gears in the back. they are (IMO) much easier to use, easier to adjust and the chains don't fall off and get stuck if the cable wasn't adjusted right. Our mt bikes have hydraulic assist brakes too, and they were not that expensive. as equipment has improved, even entry level bikes are nicer than you expect. so many improvements. bikes work SO MUCH better than they used to. we spent more than we planned on my bike, but I have arthritis in my left hand especially , and it was worth it to get better shift levers. as in most things, the more you spend, the better the bike. at least up to a point.

Maybe you can be released from your contract..does not sound like AT&T has lived up to their end of the bargain.

Valerie, I would imagine that there is a lot of improvements over bikes from years ago. I remember getting off and walking my bike up some steep hills in California.

I spent all afternoon online with another AT&T tech. It got me no where and they suggested I call Samung:( I cant work with my phone and talk to someone at the same time. I made an appointment to go to AT&T tomorrow.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.