Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/4

I am more likely to use paper maps but neither mapquest nor google maps print out nice maps like they used to. I just noticed this 2 weeks ago when I was meeting a friend in an unfamiliar area. could not print a decent detailed map!. the phone got me to the area but it said I was "there" and it was a parking lot filled with construction vehicles. I cruised around the area driving parking lots & construction until I saw the back entrance to the restaurant.
I use the phone app but you need to set it up before you drive. On either map program you can blow up the area you want for detail, but when it goes to print, the magnification drops down & you don't get anything useful. the phone program works but not for specifics. it would get me to the courthouse, but it's a big complex. getting to courthouse itself wasn't the problem! oh well, now I know. lots of one way streets too.
diane sue have your DH or someone else drive you for a couple days. even if the doc doesn't insist. play on the safe side.

I love tortilla soup too..

Carolyn, my copy of Yoga Tune Up neck portion has the 5 minute and 10 minute. It is just that when I play the 5 minute I get 1 exercise and it stops and goes back to the menu at around 1 and a half minutes. I have made this soup quite a lot and top it with some avocado and sometimes a spoon of organic sour cream. The family puts cheese shreds on it.

Valerie, it seems that they could make the process easier on the jurors. Maybe a convenient parking lot for just jurors? Ours is downtown and one way streets as well. Lots of road work going on. The parking garage is for everyone. They give you vouchers for parking to get your parking fees back.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. Just didn't feel it. I did go out and get 2 gifts for John, hopefully he won't buy them for himself before Christmas. We didn't get the snow that was predicted overnight....thank goodness.

Diane Sue, that soup sounds great. I good way to use up corn tortillas that are still around. What is the date of your surgery?

Valerie, I hope you are good now and will not be called back for jury duty for a while. I guess wearing ear plugs wouldn't be good if you have to hear if your name is called. Thanks for the info on the celiac test, yes, that is the test I had...he didn't mention testing for celiac disease. John likes paper maps too, but those are tough if you are alone in the car trying to find a place.

Carolyn, I agree....those 5 am workouts that we used to do are tough now that we get to relax a bit before throwing ourselves into it. :).

A workout, maybe a Cardio Coach or Walk Fit on the treadmill, then I need to do some errands, get some gift cards, etc...

Take care,

Deb, the surgery is on Wednesday. That is why all of the scrambling to get paperwork in and everything set. I finally got through to surgical and it was just verifying soe stuff on the online pre op paperwork I filled out with medical history etc.. I asked about supplements pre surgery and she said just quit taking what I am taking starting Monday. That is good because when I miss a few days of the collagen, glucosamine, chondroitin, hyrolonic acid powder my joints start hurting and my fingers start locking up. But, I have read that glucosamine can cause blood thinning. I wish I had known that when my Dad was using it with his blood thinners. I think I will stop on Sunday though. I read a couple of places that 3 days is good.I never worry about left over tortillas. I keep most of them in the freezer with just a few thawed because we usually do not use a lot.

Valerie, I found the same thing with printing maps. I like the paper ones with the step by step instructions to the destination. When we went to the cabin this summer I tried printing directions and maps. They were only helpful for getting near and I had looked at them larger but they printed small. My husband said he needed hs reading glasses to read it and it left out the details. I got a mark on it for destination but no streets that identified. Plus the
Cell phone service quit before we got there. We were just lucky family w a s on their way out to the store and saw us as we were about to leave the area back to the main road.

Diane sue, that's exactly what's happened to me. the phone app gets you close, sometimes right to the door. BUT in more complicated locations, it says "you're there" and you're not. in the last case I was sitting on a street with construction trailers and cranes, and a burned out building complex on both side. could not see 10 feet. the app took me to the parking lot entrance area , but I had to drive thru a construction site! you could'nt see the restaurant, which was another quarter mile and then it was the back door off the parking lot with a 6 inch high sign. if I'd had a paper map I could have seen the layout of the area, that this was a parking area behind a street of businesses. It didn't direct me to the front of the business. I know maps aren't perfect either but when the destination is in the midst of a swarm of businesses, phone apps aren't always great. you can blow the app up for detail but not while you're driving. yes, you used to be able to blow up the print destination for details at home and print it, but no more..... unless I'm doing something dumb. I love the app for getting the right freeway exit or right lane ahead of time but in busy congested areas, not so much. my car is older and doesn't have gps.

I did cardio super sets last night. I like that one, a little shorter than many but it's low impact and gets my heart rate up. I may repeat it today. I did some toe pushups, not all. this is a place I want the bigger step so I can work my way down, riser by riser, to all toes. I think you did this workout recently Carolyn... thanks for the reminder. Its funny, it's not an old workout but the newer disks have so much more content with all the premixes, and bonuses and other add ons. Still this is a good one, low impact and right to the point and about 45 minutes with the stretch. I'm stronger at plank/pushups and shoulder is doing fine. . I used 5 lbs. will do 8's next time.

Deb, I'll post a link later. the endoscope goes down thru your stomach, thru the sphincter at the lower end of your stomach, and into the small intestine to snip a tissue sample. I 'd think if they had any thought this was celiac, they would have done it at the time you were scoped. but who knows? if diagnosing was easy , we'd be able to plug our symptoms into google and get an answer, wouldn't need docs! this is a link to the WebMD site. it talks about how it's diagnosed, symptoms etc.
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/celiac-disease/celiac-disease#2-5

No, ear plugs would not have helped. hard enough to hear announcements. I am guessing Monday at 8 is the "big rush" when juries get brought in for the weeks cases and other days are less hectic.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
No workout for me today. I spent the morning at my doctor's office and now I am getting things ready for my meeting tomorrow. I have to update my company stock study to report this month. We have a holiday brunch at the December meeting and I am making pumpkin bread for that. We have settled into a routine over the years and everyone always brings the same dish.

Valerie, Cardio Supersets is one of my favorites. I have done it twice in the past 6 weeks. With so many DVDs to choose from it is easy to forget about some of them.

Have a great day.

Today I did Urban Rebounding Extreme Patrick Goudeau Core Metabolic Cardio 53 minutes, 409 calories. I did not do the push up segments. Instead I did either more jumping and mountain climbers off the side. I did the plank stuff though. I also did plank jacks instead of the jumping up and down off of the rebounder push ups. That is one of the moves I did when I injured my rotator cuff. I followed this with Cathe's Push Pull premix lower body 3 times. I forgot that the times were not correct on the premix times. It said 37 minutes for 2 sets and 39 minutes for 3 sets. It ended up being 59 minutes:oops: I kept wondering when it was going to be done. My legs are feeling it. Total calories today was 708. Time 1 hr 52 minutes

Valerie, my car is fairly new but it does not have any fancy instruments. Not even a cd player. My husband has a Garmin. He waited till the last minute to look for the cord to update on the computer and charge it. So, when we left this summer we were relying on the cell and those maps I printed. The Garmin seems to work pretty well. You do have to update periodically so it can pick up changes in roads and buildings. Some of those places you can look up and look at them on a satellite picture so you get an idea of what you are looking for before you leave. It seems they could go back to more accurate maps.
Cathe's workouts have become better and better with the premixes and accurate times. Also the premixes letting you know what all they include. Then the workout manager is nice because you can look at what each exercise is going to be. There is a noticible difference when I go back and do the much older workouts. I remember taking notes of chapter points so I could only do certain segments like on Maximum Intensity Strength and the originally Body Max.

Carolyn, it looks like a busy day for you today. I love pumpkin bread. That is nice that you have a holiday brunch. That would make the meeting pleasant.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies...

We have been sick with a really nasty cold. My husband ended up with a sinus infection and I started yesterday with a nasty cold/ sore throat. While away in Philadelphia 2 of the VP's were really sick. Being locked up with them for 2 days and my husband sick I knew I was not going to miss this one. No workouts either. Hoping I can get one in tomorrow.

I will catch up tomorrow. Have a great night all.

Lori, take care of yourself. I hope that you feel better quickly.

I just saw Cathe's update on Strong and Sweaty. It sounds like they won't be too much longer if all goes well since they are planning on hopefully having the trucks headed there around the end of next week. I am looking forward to getting them. I won't be able to jump right in and do all of them though. I am glad I got the new cycle workout.

Lori so sorry you got smacked. sometimes it's impossible to avoid, especially coming at your from all directions. I don't work out when I'm sick I just take it easy,. drink lots of fluids, sleep as much as I can and do drugs as needed.

I did 35 on the elliptical today, so just "maintenance". we got snow last night and things are messy out there.

diane sue at one point we bought a garmin from Costco. we took it on a Montana trip and it was totally wrong half the time. it even had the Interstate junctions wrong. How can that be??? we thought it would help with forest service roads but forget that! it was awful. After the interstate malfunction I knew I would not trust it, so I took it back. maybe our next car.... my car is a 2004 Subaru. I like it better than the new ones so I will keep it for at least another year. It runs great, best car I've ever had. we buy those huge map atlases for states we travel to so we can get detailed road info and topographic features.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did a Walk Fit treadmill workout. It was my good friend's birthday yesterday. We celebrated with a breakfast out. Nice.

Diane Sue, great workouts! I didn't know that Push/Pull had a lower body premix. I'll have to remember that. Good that you asked about supplements. I know that even for the scope procedure I had, they said no Nsaids prior to the procedure for the same reason. We have a Garmin too, really only use it for long trips. Also have to update it. I like that when you do that, it even tells you were there is construction and detours.

Valerie, John is the same way about maps...he really likes the real ones, always takes one with us when we are driving to a place we have never been. I am actually giving him a new Buffalo streets and surrounding area map book for Christmas. Thanks for the link.
They did the scope like you said, only I thought they went to the stomach....took a sample and it was biopsied. I spoke with the DR assistant yesterday, they ordered blood work for the Celiac test...I don't think they think it is that and maybe doing it just to pacify me..:(.

Carolyn, hope you are ok. I am so impressed that you are so into stocks etc.

Lori, hope you feel better today. Rest is always good.

No class today, the Saturday agility trainer wanted to take a long holiday break, so we don't go back until January 7th.

I need to go over and read the Cathe update...Anything fun planned for the weekend?

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Wednesday I did a Leslie Sansone walk and Thursday I did a 45 minute Spinerval and Power Hour. Yesterday my podiatrist did punch biopsies on my moles. I misunderstood, they don't remove them unless it's necessary. I have a follow up appointment on the 22nd. They will call me sooner if the results show that the moles need to be removed completely.
We are supposed to get 5-9 inches of snow tomorrow. Depending on the roads, Chris might have to work from home on Monday.

Deb-I've had the blood work for celiac done twice. The first time, 20 years ago, it showed a possible positive result. I have avoided wheat since then. I do eat oatmeal and am not extreme about not eating gluten. I don't eat bread or things that have wheat in the ingredients. I mentioned this to my doctor and he ordered the blood test again in 2009. It came back negative.

Valerie-When we drove to Colorado a couple of years ago I downloaded a Garmin App on my iPhone. It got us completely lost somewhere in Illinois. We were on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and Garmin was telling us we were on a freeway. I switched back to Mapquest and we finally got where we needed to be.

Diane Sue-Great workouts! I am enjoying doing some of Cathe's older workouts too. I might try doing Pure Strength upper body today. I'm also following the updates about Strong and Sweaty. Hopefully they will be here before Christmas.

Carolyn-I know what you mean about having so many workouts to choose from and forgetting some. I have a spreadsheet with all of the DVDs that I have and I have the ones I haven't done highlighted. I may end up selling or giving away some of the DVDs that I don't think I will use.

Lori-There is something going around here too. I hope you are feeling better today.

Judy

Judy we have paper maps and road atlases. they are nice for extra features ( campgrounds, small roads) and getting a bigger picture of things in relation to each other. when we were in MT, the garmin showed the intersection of 2 interstate hwys completely wrong. it's an odd road junction... north/south interstates are not in the usual configuration but are separate intersections miles apart. It was a huge error. it also used to flip the screen so when you were driving north, it would suddenly flip to show you going southbound. it drove me crazy. It was expensive and I took it back and never bought another. I like the phone app for city driving where it's congested but not for rural areas.

the jury room last Monday was filled with coughing, nose- blowing people. I am hoping I didn't pick up anything. I was really careful about hand washing and not touching my face or eyes but it was a crowded room and all the surfaces must have been covered with viruses. so far I'm OK. Hope you get over it soon Lori. sometimes it's inevitable but I always try to avoid.

Deb, celiac is so much in the forefront these days, it seems they would have ruled it out. but never hurts to be sure.

Hi Everyone,
This morning I did Chiseled Upper Body before going to my meeting. We had guest speakers from the Georgia Chapter of Better Investing. They presented our club with a 15 year anniversary certificate and took pictures for the newsletter. It was a nice meeting aside from the brunch.

I saw Cathe's update on the Strong and Sweaty series. I am really looking forward to these. I have also noticed that the descriptions of premixes on the older DVDs don't give a lot of information. They have definitely gotten better over the years. I love the high quality of the products.

Deb, I am fine. I have regular appointments with the doctors on my breast cancer team. I see one of them every three months. Fortunately, I am doing very well. I have one more year of this intense follow-up before going to a yearly schedule.

Judy, I like your idea of keeping a spreadsheet of your dvds. I need to do something similar.

Lori, I hope you are feeling better today.

Enjoy your afternoon.

Today I did older workouts again. I am really finding some of the older ones really pack a punch. I did I Max 3, 60 minutes, 484 calories. I then did Tracey Steahle's Core Blast , all standing segments, stability ball, bosu, planks, pilates, stretch. 39 minutes, 151 calories. There was 2 more floor segments and a step abs that I skipped. I used a 5# medicine ball and 5# dumbbells.
Total time 99 minutes, 640 calories. My 8 year old and 2 year old grandchild are coming in a bit to stay the night. Their parents are celebrating their anniversary and doing some Christmas shopping.

Deb, there are two lower body premixes on Push and Pull. I was almost wishing that I had chosen the two sets instead of 3. I forgot how tough those premixes are on Super Sets lower and Push and Pull lower. Not a lot of breaks. I have already cut the Advil. I have just taken some Tylenol Arthritis sense I knew I was having surgery. Fortunately the last couple of days my neck and shoulders have been better. Trying to move and not sit in one position too long and doing the Yoga Tune Up seems to be helping. I have been using the therapy balls for a few minutes before bed. Last night I had some pain from sitting and watching a movie and rolled out the shoulders a bit.

Judy, nice workouts this week. I understand the biopsy. I don't think my daughter has done a punch biopsy on us. I may be wrong. She seems to usually get all of the cancer the first time. When she says they are cancer the results from the lab always seem to come back positive. I usually use map quest when I get maps on the computer. I have enjoyed doing some of the older workouts.

Valerie, I don't think we have had a lot of problems with the Garmin that we have. I remember once though my husband kept driving a different direction than the garmin said, following signs instead. There was a big loop of freeways, and I swear that we drove in circles several times before he did what the garmin said and we reached out destination.

Carolyn, Cathe's workouts have the best features of any.

Our Garmin issues were quite a few years ago, but I never felt I needed one if it didn't help in less developed areas.

I did Cardio supersets again today, and it went a lot faster, used 8 lbs instead of 5 for the whole thing and it was fine. took about 45 min including the stretch. Felt good about this one. no dread factor. I do need to give myself a brief breather between the sets of mt climbers. I always have trouble breathing in that position and get very out of breath.

Judy, best do the recommended approach. Most of the time there is nothing worrisome but best to be sure.

Good morning ladies..

We are still sick. Think I am turning the corner though. I actually bough cold medicine yesterday to clear my congestion. I usually take nothing becuase cold medicine throws me off. But I just really needed something. I did do SB new Bounce with barre after the meds kicked in. Was a nice workout nothing extreme and only about 21 minus. Just what I needed yesterday.

Looks like everyone had been doing some great workouts. Makes me want to look at some older ones.

We have a garmim plus have the garmin app on our phones. We have not had any issues. I have heard of the miss routes but fortunately not for us.

Carolyn...congrats that every thing is now going well with your breast cancer.

Not sure what the workout will be. It will be light but will feel good doing something.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.