Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/4

I am done... all us extras were released at 2:30 today. still need to call in after 5 tonight but it's not likely I will need to go back. I can't believe it could have gone for 2 weeks. OMG... the sitting and more sitting was making me totally nuts ! I was walking to the parking garage several times just to get in some movement. I've never been called for this before and I am glad I got to learn about it. I would have felt fine with a couple day thing, even 5 days. I was mentally ready for that. I was not mentally prepared for 2 weeks. it was incredibly tedious to sit in one place, then sit in another, and have nothing happening. too busy and distracting to actually read with 200+ people going in and out of the jury holding area. I am so glad I'm done.
I had no idea it would be that hard to sit and wait...and wait...and wait. the trial was about something other than what I thought it was going to be about so I could not have easily removed myself like I thought. I thought it was going to be medical malpractice but it wasn't.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a Spinerval and today I did Maximum Intensity Strength and 2 segments of Yoga Tune-Ups KneeHab.

Friday morning I have to get 2 moles taken off of my foot. I've had them for several years and I don't think they are anything but my dermatologist suggested I get them taken off to be safe. I wanted to get it done before the end of the year. I'll probably use Friday as a rest day since it sounds like my foot may be numb for the rest of the day after the procedure.

Deb-that store looks like fun! I would love it. I wish we had one around here.

Valerie-I'm glad you don't have to be on that jury. Two weeks would be way too long.

Carolyn-I love Muscle Max! That is a great workout. The short yoga tune-up segments are perfect for adding on. I've done the low back one the most and it has really helped me. I didn't think that I would ever do dead lifts again and now I am doing them regularly with no low back issues.

Diane Sue-I really like KneeHab. I can see this dvd helping me a lot too.

Lori-It's good that you are getting home tonight. I hope you have a good flight.

Hi to Caitlin!

Judy

Today I did Body Max 2, warm up, combo 1, power circuits, and abs, 59 minutes, 431 calories. I then did the Body Blast Series Super Sets, Lower body blast remix, 34 minutes, 171 calories. Total time 93 minutes, calories burned 602. I went to my daughters today and had lunch with her and the little ones before I ran errands this afternoon. I spent a lot of time scanning documents and saving to PDF files. I was so annoyed because I couldn't find them and had to do it over.

Body Max 2 I used dumbbells on the circuits but went a bit heavier than Cathe.

Super Sets Lower - 3 rounds
barbell squats 40#
barbell deadlifts 40#
Plie squat 35# (I used a dumbbell at 35 # here) I hate holding a barbell in front and it makes my neck and shoulders hurt
One leg squat off of step with 3 risers 15# dumbbell

Valerie, I am glad that you are done. I hated seeing others get to go and I kept staying. I think here the Jury duty is only certain months of the year and probably not during bad weather. The 4 days I did was long enough. It is hard to set and read with so much going on around you. People visit with each other and that is hard to ignore. I had downloaded magazines and took reading material but I did not get a lot read.

Judy, I thought you would like knee hab. It really did help me a lot. I did Yoga Tune Up upper body again yesterday doing just the 10 minute fixes of neck, shoulders, and upper back. Those tune up balls work really well. I did not have time to do anything like that today though. I was looking at Maximum Intensity Strength . I used to divide the upper and lower body workouts and do one one day and one another day. I am kind of liking visiting some of my older workouts.

Deb, that sounds like a unique way of doing the weights. I think that I would like it. That store looks like fun. The candy jars remind me of the shops in England when I was a child. I learned to knit there and they had yarn stacked on shelves in skeins that you had to roll into balls when you got home. Ah, the doctors visit. I am not sure how this neck issue is going to get better other than the nerves healing themselves. I find if I can keep from holding my head in one position or holding my arm on that side up too long it does not hurt as much. Some days are better than others. Okay, I am going to try to explain what they say my problem is, or they think it is. I am embarrassed about it. 17 years ago I got implants. The doctor was not good. 3 months later he replaced them. He did a bad job and then over 8 years ago they ruptured and I had a similar experience with lymph nodes in my arm pits. I went through a lot of tests back then but not like this time. Anyway, I got a well known good doctor that fixed all of it and put in new ones that are supposed to be a gummy bear solid one that is really strong. So, the thing is, the doctor that did the biopsy said that my lymph nodes glowed which would indicate silicone. She said it could be from the ones before because silicone never leaves the body. Anyway, the mri came back and they said they thought they were leaking. The plastic surgeon was in shock. He thinks it could be from before. He says he just wrote an article on how these have not had any problems. Anyway, the only way to know is to do surgery to explore and he can replace or remove them. They are under warranty and if they are indeed ruptured the manufacturer will pay for replacement and some of the replace. I talked to him about removing them and he pointed out that I am all implant and have nothing. Which is why I did it. I was very small when I started working out and the rest just vanished. So, I may just go as small as I can. As he had to go a bit bigger than I wanted to make the repair work after the bad job. He says I have a pocket now under the muscle so he can go smaller. Anyway, I have been hesitant to explain all of this. He says he wants to know and the manufacturer would want to know if there is a problem. I have been at war with myself on whether to get rid of them or fix. Scrambling to get things set up. They called today with an appointment open for the 15th so I have been scrambling with forms and documents and getting funds together. I do wish I had just stayed happy with what God gave me. The positive is that it was not cancer.
Oh, and I read over my biopsy report and it said their was small fragments of muscle and peripheral nerve in the specimen. I swear that is why I am having so much pain in the area.

Lorie, I am glad that the rebounding has taken place of the fun of the running :) I do remember that you gave your treadmill to your son. I always am anxious to be at home after being away. I bet Gigi will be happy you are back.

Carolyn, I found it was just as easy just to do the Yoga Quick Fix when watching:) I could use some of it myself tonight.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did a combination of the Mix & Match premixes of KCM's new Body Design DVD...W/U, Lower Body, Yoga Flow Stretch. I liked the Yoga segment a lot...I think I will be tacking this on for cool down/stretches.

Lori, hope your trip home was safe and quick! I bet the pets were happy to see you.

Valerie, good that you were excused early...hope you don't have to go back!

Carolyn, thanks for the info on the Yoga Tune Up workouts....it sounds like they are focused on one or two body parts?

Judy, good that your DR is removing the moles...best to be sure and get peace of mind.

Diane Sue....so sorry about what you are going through. Did the Dr have a recommendation of the best way to go? If he replaces with new, that will correct the situation if leaking happened prior?

We are having the new rug for the stairs and upstairs hall installed this morning. Not sure about a workout, been up since 2:30....dozed on the couch for a bit, but I am exhausted...hope to do agility class tonight.

Take care,

Deb, KCM's workout sounds really good. It is rough getting anything done with lack of sleep. Maybe the rug will be done early enough that you can get a nap before agility class. The Dr won't know till he gets in there. I was just telling my husband that maybe if it is old silicone , maybe it will be where he can get some more of it out. He tried to get as much as he could the last time but there was a lot. I am hopeful though.

Today I did Ice Bootcamp Circuit Basic Mix, w/u, main, blizzard blast, muscle meltdown biceps, core 1 and stretch. 500 calories, 83 minutes. Funny Cathe's workout manager says 723 and map my fitness says 720. Then I get Fit Bit at 323. I used the calories burned calculator net of 500. This is Wednesday family dinner night. I am making the chicken tortilla soup from the Fixate cookbook I thought that would be good since it is so cold here right now. They got a little snow in the north part of the state.

Last edited:
I had a meeting this morning and some errands but I worked out after I returned. I did Party Rocking Step #1 combos 1-3, part of 4, and part of the Finished product. The choreography is very complex on this workout! It's been such a long time since I last tried it that I didn't remember many of the moves.

Diane Sue, I hope your doctor is able to figure out what is going on so that you get some relief. It sounds like you are doing a good job of managing the symptoms. Body Max 2 is a great workout, but much too long. I tried the whole workout a few times but switched to premixes after a while.

Deb, have you been tested for celiac disease? I was reading something with a list of symptoms that reminded me of some of yours. I would not be able to work out with so little sleep.

Valerie, it's great that you were released from jury duty. I've been called a couple of times and we had to go in every day for a week. They did not have the call in system at that time. The sitting and waiting is awful even with a book to read.

Hi to Judy and Lori.

Carolyn,

Have not been tested for that....is there a link or something where you found symptoms similar to what I have ( heartburn) caused by Celiac disease?

Deb, I think that I saw it on The Doctors yesterday, but it is also listed under symptoms on the Mayo Clinic website. I couldn't figure out how to send the link in this message .

Good evening ladies..

Today was a rest day. Got home after 11:30pm last night and of course GiGi was over the top excited to see me. Needless to say there was no way I could put her back onto her crate so I stayed up with her for a while. Was about 1am before my head hit the pillow. Then she needed to go out at around 5am so then I was up. Went to work for a bit but came home. Was just very unproductive.

Valerie...awesome! Great you were released!

Judy....great you did a spinerval...how was your back? I see you are doing deadlifts so that is a good sign. All good? Good your Doctor is being proactive. Any mole that looks suspicious should be removed.

Diane Sue...Great workouts today. 602 nice! Been ages since I have done Body Max 2 or even the first one. I am a firm believer in doing things if it makes you feel great and confident. Many women choose implants and good for them! Hoping you can get this issue resolved. I think Cathe did at some point. I do not know for sure. I think she looks fabulous and if she did good for her!

Carolyn...I never even opened Party Rockin Step. That is great you can do it. I have no coordination and I end up all over the place with a choreographed step workout.

Deb....hmmmm never thought of Celiac. Hoping you get resolution soon. You have had siiues now for what 3 months? Boy you have done a lot of home improvements lately. 2:30 is really early!!

Have a great night all!

I am not totally released from jury duty yet, was released for today. I need to call in after 5 today to check for tomorrow. I doubt there will be anything but who knows........ it would be a new case if there is something. we can get recalled during this week.

it was a clear cold sunny day today so we went xc skiing. it was hard but nice. 3 1/2 hours, around 6 miles RT. we have not skied much the last 2 years because of snow shortage. some years are generous with snow, others not so much. this year looks like a good year so we will try to get into ski mode. it takes a few sessions to get body parts hardened up. Like most exercises, there are certain parts that get worked more than others.

I'm not sure how they check for celiac disease these days. I have a cousin whose wife has real, true celiac disease who was diagnosed in her mid 50's so it's something that can come up later in life. she was very sick and ended up in the hospital for a while. most of the people going gluten free don't get tested. if they avoid gluten, I believe it makes the tests for celiac disease invalid because without gluten in your diet, the antibodies are not present so they can't tell for sure. I think if you are going to be tested, you must be eating gluten containing foods for results to be accurate.... something like that...
Lori, jet lag and on top of that Gigi- lag! get some rest.
Diane sue, so many people have gotten implants, for so many different reasons, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's unfortunate if that's what is causing your current problems, though. I thought Cathe may have gotten them too, lori.
Judy, glad you had those removed. worth it not to worry about them even if youi need to take a day or two off.

If I have Party Rocking Step, I never opened it either. I could fly to the moon before I could do any fancy choreography. I can't even do simple and basic.

They called and moved my surgery up to next Wednesday instead of Thursday so I had to resign and send back some paperwork. That is the last day in December the doctor is doing surgery. I think I am supposed to go back into his office on Thursday though. I was going to do Rock'm Sock'm today but it wouldn't play and I had a hard time getting it out of the dvd player. That is when I gave up and did Boot camp. When I was done I used a lens cleaner on the dvd player and cleaned the dvd even though I saw nothing on it and checked and it played again. This happened awhile back and I don't remember if it was the same dvd. I got it from Amazon so I am probably stuck with it if it does it again.

Carolyn, years ago I did Body Max 2 in it's entirety and add on. But, that is when I would workout up to 3 hours a day. I am sure it did not make me stronger. I just made up for it when I ate. I almost changed my mind and went back to do the other two combos though. There are some really long premixes on some of the older workouts. I love Party Rockin Step and 1 is my favorite. The other is easier choreography though. I do it a lot so have no problem with it. I have some others though that I find myself having to learn the footing all over again. That is interesting about the symptoms for celiac.

Lori, I could understand not wanting to come home and put Gigi right in the crate for the night. Being tired seems to make a person less productive. One thing I have thought about is that once I did get the implants clothes fit . I had heard before that Cathe had it done. I never paid a lot of attention till lately with my issues and doing some older workouts. I do wonder how people that lift very heavy manage with implants though. I dropped down considerably on weights after I had those others rupture. The doctor suggested it. But, then many body builders have them. Who, knows? Maybe I am the odd case.

Valerie, I am sorry that you are not totally released from jury duty yet. Hopefully no more cases come up. It does make sense that a gluten free diet would probably alter test results. Yes, there are different reasons that women get implants. My daughter had a congenital defect and one side did not develop. It was well into high school before I was really aware and we go got it fixed. That is not something no young girl should have to live with. I wish I could have bypassed that biopsy though. I read all over trying to find if implants are rejected but found that there is very little evidence. They are not rejected, the body just encapsulates them or something like that. I read one doctor said in all of his years he one case where a woman had autoimmune problems. Once they removed the implants she very quickly got better. I guess I will see how things turn out.

I am released from jury duty! whoopee! so pleased to be done. I learned a lot about the jury system and process but I also learned I am not very tolerant of the chaos and unsettled atmosphere. I would do better next time. I'd know more what to expect.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, the guy that installed the rug was here from 9:00 am to a little after 5! I couldn't believe how much work that was. He only took a 20 minute lunch break.

Diane Sue, that soup sounds good....so you put tortillas right in it? Good luck with the surgery, now that you have made the decision, it sounds like you will be able to look forward to a resolution to the problems you have been having.

Carolyn, thanks for the info...never tested for celiac...I did go over to the site and read about the symptoms...maybe I need to start with the NG elimination diet. I have had some correspondence with them and they said they can help but I have to decide to do it. Good job doing Party Rockin' Step! I think I sold that on Ebay. I gave up trying Cathe's step workouts....way too complicated choreography.

Lori, good to take a rest day, especially after travelling. You need to post some recent pics of Gigi, I bet she is getting big!

Valerie, good job on the ski workout. That is really tough going, and I can see that it would take a while for the muscles to acclimate to those moves. Great news on the jury duty!

A workout, and really no plans....if John doesn't go fishing, maybe we can get some of the books and stuff back on the shelves in the living room....maybe...

Take care,

Valerie, that is great that you are done with jury duty. I am sure it is a relief. The first two times I had jury duty I ended up with a terrible headache throughout. I learned to take all kinds of things with me.

Deb, yes, the soup has you toast 8 corn tortillas in the oven till crisp. Then you break them up. Half goes in some of the vegetable broth mix in the blender, then it is all put back in the pot with diced precooked chicken and seasoning and the rest of the broth.

diane sue.. do you know how big or extensive a surgery this is? Not meaning to pry... just wondering. I had a major headache the first day too. I should have done a 'dry run" before the morning I had to show up. it was dark, raining, the street sign was just about invisible so I missed the first turn. I'd never been to the courthouse. there was a several block line up of tail lights going toward the courthouse and I got in line, not knowing if I was in the right place. turned out I was right, line to get into the parking structure, but it was stressful. by the time I got there I had a serious headache. It was :oops: silly not to take a pass by the area beforehand to see where I was supposed to be going. it was actually pretty simple but didn't seem so last Monday.

Deb, I thought that testing for celiac is done by taking a small tissue sample via an upper endoscopy. since you recently had one, maybe this was already checked for? just a thought... next time you talk to your GI doc you could ask if this has been checked for.

Need to do some grocery shopping this morning. we are getting some unpleasant sounding weather later today and tonight. really cold for us right now, mid 20's I think. this last 3 days were cold and sunny. we will be mild wet and windy by tomorrow so the transition is the main issue.
I got sore from yesterdays ski. the back/forth motion with skis is not like walking or running.

Carolyn, the call in system works quite well. traffic is awful here and some get called in from significant distance away. one man lived at least 50 miles away. no reason to have people doing that kind of drive and clogging up streets and parking for no reason. it's a good 40 miles RT for me. I get too distracted to read very much. most people are playing with their devices.

Today I did Ice Rock'm Sock'm mix with the Blizzard Blast, 62 minutes 480 calories. I then did Muscle Meltdown triceps, 15 minutes, 70 calories. Total time 77 minutes, 550 calories.
I went back and did Suzanne Bowen Barre amped Upper body stretch and relaxation stretch. I also did Yoga Tune Up Neck for more stretching and massage with the therapy balls. I don't know why but the 5 minute Quick Fix on yoga tune up for neck is one move that lasts about a minute and that is it. If anyone else has it let me know if that is all it is supposed to be.

Valerie, I think it depends on what they find when they do the surgery. There may be more silicone clean up. The one years ago he said had so much and he got as much as he could of it, but it was all over the place. It is an hour and a half scheduled. The pre op called today to talk to me and I picked up just as it clicked over to message. When I called them back I got an answering system and gave them my number. I thought that was odd. They still haven't called back. It is out patient so I go in at 9:45, surgery at 11 and a bout an hour and a half recovery time unless I feel up to leaving sooner. They recommend that you leave before the anesthetic wears off. It can be pretty painful and I had to sleep in a recliner for awhile after the surgery before. But, he seemed to think that I could go back to some stuff like the spin bike, walking or tread climber fairly quickly. Just no anything that requires pushing or pulling movements. with the arms and no ab work for awhile. I hate surgery. I hate it so much that he wanted to do some fat grafting after the last one to make it look even better after the repair and I did not think it was worth anymore pain. I think some of the pain last time was because he put the implants under the muscle which I guess was not done before. So, there is a pocket? there now which should make it easier.
I almost always want to go check out where I am supposed to go beforehand. Particularly if I am by myself. Jury Duty here is in a large old court house that is adjacent to another tall building which is newer and a walkway in between. It is easy to get lost. I have been lucky because I always had my husband or son in law to take me to right where I was supposed to be. I did get lost leaving from a different area of the building to meet my son in law for lunch one of those days. I ended up in some half lit corridor with wires hanging from the ceiling that was kind of spooky. I had walked up the back stairs instead of taking the elevator and each floor had a big metal door at the top. I was just going back the way I thought I had went into the courtroom. My son in law had to find me because I came out on the other side of the courthouse when I finally got to the bottom floor.

Even if I'd known where to go, I would have been surprised by the mass of people coming in. I kept thinking how stupid I'd feel if I was in a 15 minute line to the wrong parking lot with no way to tell until I got to the front of the line. the rain and being dark didn't help.

diane sue that's sounds like an unpleasant process but something you need to do. Are you able to drive after? I'm thinking not for a while....

Valerie, I would have been lost if I had had to go to the parking garage downtown. I had others tell me just finding a parking place in the garage was difficult and then there was getting from there to the courthouse. That was another advantage of my son in law in his police car. He dropped me off and went to the office. He walked to pick me up for lunch and we went to local restaurants. There is an underground area there as well with a food court. I was really prepared to just take some nutrition bars and bottled water and stay at the check in area for jury duty.
They said to have an adult there to drive you home. I wouldn't think anyone would have a child take them home; I would guess they are maybe thinking a teenager or something. I think I am supposed to go in to the doctor the next day as well. I am not sure about driving there. My husband is off both days so he can take me if it is necessary. I imagine the doctor will discuss things with me more before surgery and I will have pre op instructions when I leave.

Hi Everyone,
My workout today was Cardio Leg Blast. I did it right after getting up and it took a while to get my body and brain in gear. I'm out of practice with 5 a.m. workouts. I had an early meeting with someone to discuss a small home project then I went to the hair salon.

Valerie, that would have given me a headache too. I always try to get a good idea of where I am going and going downtown is awful. I get very anxious when I don't know where I'm going. I still use my paper map with the GPS as my back-up.

Diane Sue, the Quickfix for neck has a 5 minute and a 10 minute routine the same as the other body parts. However, the section where she uses the therapy balls is very short. That tortilla soup sounds good. I love soups when the weather is cold and wet.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.