Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/02/2022

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning... posting sat night. last night I did 30 on the elliptical and a list of PT exercises. a lot like a barre workout. I need to get a list of these and to run thru them. I'm not doing multiple sets yet, just once thru to see what sort of discomfort I get from them. this morning we plan to do a road ride.

Yesterday I did Metabolic Upper Body. Very thorough workout and it reminds me that I need someone to teach me to love upper body weight work. LOL Just finished My Finished Step combo workout. Last night I realized that I had forgotten to do a new rotation, so I decided to do cardio and today I have to figure out what I'm doing for the month.

Valerie nice job with the elliptical. Hopefully the PT exercises will get your knee back in shape. Enjoy your ride. I totally get how nervous you are about riding after what happened. After I did my legs in on bleachers twice, I thought about it every time I went down them, though my years using bleachers stopped in early 2020.

Lori I'm so glad that you, Bob and his parents came through the storm okay. My sisters house is fine, they just had a tree tip that needs to be staked. The pictures and video are horrifying though. I hope that your friends are okay.

I know I'm behind but I'll just say hi to everyone!

Good morning. This morning I did my morning yoga for 18 minutes.

Valerie, nice job with doing 30 minutes on the elliptical and the PT exercises. I have noticed that many of the exercises for knees are similar to barre and Pilates. That’s one reason that I force myself to occasionally do some of Cathe’s floor work for lower body, something I really hate. I have a very old dvd that was done by a Physical Therapist called Strong Knees. It includes many of the Cathe type floor work moves.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Shoulders, CDORNER Basic Intermediate Step, and her Mobility workout.

Cathy, great job with Metabolic Upper Body. I really like upper body weight work, but not necessarily metabolic style.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

I didnt get sore from the floor work but i am aware I did something different. we did our ride this morning about 25 miles. unfortunately I feel instability in my knee that does NOT feel like a knee cap issue. I need to go for another opinion. its hard to get concrete info because I can't get an MRI and xrays don't show soft tissue. Occasionally the feeling of the femur sliding forward over the tibia. its quite specific and happens when I get off a bike when still moving a little and the momentum of my body weight pushes the top of my leg forward and the lower part of my leg feels like its not connected anymore. I'm trying to step down with my left leg first instead. whatever controlled that motion must be what I heard snap. it doesn't hurt when it happens now, but it's not right. cant deal with it if we dont know what it is.

carolyn I really hate barre type floor exercises too. I tend to get bursitis on the right side and those kind of moves can trigger it so I don't do them often. besides I hate them! I have a PT appointment tuesday with a therapist to help me work on issues not related to the knee problems

Lori hoping things are settling down for you. the trouble with all that water (and wind) is it's not always immediately over when its over, if that makes sense. problems linger.

Last edited:
So I got a bonus workout this afternoon, hauling a trap containing a skunk around. And it cracks me up that neither of the guys are willing to do it themselves. At least they don't want it removed from the area, like the raccoons they catch and are willing to deal with themselves, they just want it away from their yard and chicken coop. So, I hauled it back along the fence, across the other neighbors wooded area behind us to what is basically our back corner and it ran off into the cornfield next to us. Short but intense cardio session as I was moving as fast as I could while carrying something fairly heavy. About once a year they catch a skunk. Hopefully, this one has learned to avoid traps now. I just came in from the end with the solid metal plate and tossed a small blanket over it. Once they are covered it's very unlikely they will spray.

Carolyn it would be just lovely if you could do my upper body work and I could do your barre/floor stuff, because I really like those! Sadly there is no way for us to benefit in that picture.

Valerie sorry to hear that you are still having knee issues. Hopefully someone will figure it out.

Friday I ran a little over 3 miles and did a short yoga session. Saturday I went to the gym with Chris and today I did a 30 minute Peloton ride.

Cathy-Great job with Metabolic Upper Body. Hauling a trap with a skunk in it sounds like a good workout too! I generally like upper body strength training, especially back and triceps.

Carolyn-Great job with the morning yoga. I really don't enjoy floor work either. It's something I have to force myself to do.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw Shoulders and the CDorner workouts.

Valerie-Great job with the elliptical and PT work. I'm sorry that your knee is still bothering you.

Hi to Lori

This morning I did Strong and Sweaty Cardio Slam (no floor), and just finished Live PHA No Repeats. Good workout. I'm ramping up my weights the next couple months getting ready for STS 2.0 as I've been slacking on the heavier stuff.

Judy great job with the gym, running, Peloton ride and yoga!

Today I did RWH Lift It HiiT it Legs. That was 41 minutes and 228 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 146. I kept the cardio blasts low impact.

Valerie, I’m glad that you were able to ride, but sorry about the knee. It does sound like you need another opinion.

Cathy, great job with Cardio Slam and Live PHA No Repeats. I love Cardio Slam. If I do a timesaver premix I choose No Mat Cardio. I also like that Cathe demonstrates low impact modifications on one of the Basic premixes. You are a good neighbor to move that skunk!

Judy, great job with the 3 mile run, yoga, and gym workout.

Hello to Diane Sue and Lori.

I did Raw Step and Pump, 46 minutes, heart rate 112/153, 177 calories. I also did the warmup, 1 round abs, and the stretch from CDorner Arms, Abs, and stretch 3 days ago, 26 minutes, 37 calories. Too hard on neck doing abs and my hip flexor really hurt. Total time 72 minutes, 214 calories, 1,879 steps.
Raw Cardio and Weights 41:05 minutes
uses 8 and 12# dumbbells and step for some of it. Focus is cardio and upper body
warm up
step with basic adding jab/cross
Biceps heavy weights front curl 4/4 ct and 2/2 ct 12# dbs followed by side curl 4/4 ct and 2/2 ct 10# dbs
cardio elbow strike/knee side to side
Shoulders heavy weights I used 8's and dropped to 5's Front raise followed by lateral raise 5's
cardio step rope/skip up on bench/knee pull
Triceps light 8# dbs overhead triceps extension followed by kickbacks 8's
Cardio Step L step cross/cross/knee
Back heavy 12# db 1 foot on step row repeat on left side
cardio jab/uppercut/jack
Chest heavy bench press 8# dbs followed by flys 8# dbs
All cardios 4 times
All weight segments repeated back-to-back with some changes
biceps curls/hammer curls 10's
shoulders alternate overhead press/lateral raise 5# dbs
Triceps overhead press 5's/kickbacks double and singles 5's
Back Rows right/left 10's
Chest bench press/ flys 5's

Carolyn, I do not mind floor work for lower body. The only thing with that is, I tend to want to add some ankle weights or bands. Something to get some results that show for doing it. I do not like floor work that is continuous for a very long-time movement that feels like a limb is going to fall off or I am going to scream stop already. Nice work with Ripped with Hiit legs.

Valerie, I am sorry that your knee still does not feel right.

Cathy, I do not think I would be messing with a skunk even if it was in a cage. It sounds like you knew what to do though. I had a raccoon in my yard once and called out animal control as I was could not let my dogs out as there would surely have been an altercation. They caught it and the guy said they were getting displaced as the building going on took away their homes. He said they could be vicious as my grandchildren thought it was cute and it looked like it was sleeping in the yard, till it got up and started moving. Nice workout choices today. It looks like you are working up a plan.

Judy, nice job on the 3 mile run, gym workouts, and peloton ride.

Last edited:
For anyone interested I just printed out the Raw Chest workout format. Not sure when I will do it. My shoulders are sore and I hauled buckets of water outside from the aquarium and then went out side and decorative stones that were around our trees that died to put in a stack on the patio. I feel it tonight.

Coffey Fit Raw Chest

24 minutes using 15 and 20# dumbbells and a bench or step that can incline

Warm up

Push ups as part of warm up

4 rounds of 3 moves 10 reps

Incline incline fly 15# dbs 10 reps

Flat bench connected bench press 20# dbs 10 reps

Flat Bench Press 20# dbs 10 reps

Repeat for 3 more rounds

Finisher with 10# dumbbells to failure connected press/fly/pullover repeat to failure

stretch

cathy that is bravery beyond the call of duty! I've only seen a couple live skunks my whole life. usually they are dead on side of the road, like possums. DH and I did run into one last year, trying to cross the gravel road between us while we were mt biking. I saw him coming and stopped abruptly. DH called at me to "just come on through". well, no, not happening. I waited while the skunk crossed. he stamped his feet and shook his tail. Definite "no" on cutting him off. is that one of those baited live animal traps? we caught a possum in one once. wow he was a nasty little critter. an unknown animal was climbing stairs up 20 feet to our deck to get into the sealed compost bucket. it was a surprise. thought it would be a raccoon. we let him go so he could get run over by a car as all possums do.

did elliptical and therapy moves yesterday. starting to feel like half my work is some kind of PT.

Today I did XTrain Chest, Back, and Shoulders for 48 minutes and 212 calories burned. My average heart rate was 114 and maximum heart rate was 154.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Step and Pump and CDORNER Arms, Abs, and stretch.

Valerie, nice job with elliptical and PT exercises.

Hello to Judy, Lori, and Cathy.

Yesterday I did S&S Cardio Slam floor only premix and then I went and walked at the zoo. Will only be able to do that for another 3-4 weeks. For the most part I keep walking and just look to see if the animals are doing anything, but I always stop to watch the Colubus as they have about a 3 month old and a 2 year old and are quite fun to watch. At the very end I stop and talk to Eliza the ground hornbill as she's my favorite! Normally she comes running up to the front when people are there carrying something in her beak like a stone or stick, but yesterday she totally dissed me and stayed at the back of her cage. Derek worked with her several times and she was better with him the second time, but apparently there are people she doesn't like and the first time she wouldn't cooperate. LOL She's used in some programs, at least in the past, and so she's very comfortable around people. Pre-kids, I did wildlife rehab for 7-8 years, so I'm pretty comfortable having wildlife around. We get a lot of raccoons and yes they are adorably cute, but also a PITA. DH has to take down the hanging feeder and suets every night or they get them. A couple years ago it was really bad as we would get more than a dozen at night, but the the guys next door trap and relocate a ton of them, so numbers are down now. We get opossums around, and truly they are one of my favorite animals. Mostly all show though aggressive if cornered. We get skunks, too, and when we were feeding the stray cats they come up on the porch to eat the cat food. Cats, skunks and opossums all get along pretty well and will share space. Last year we had a skunk eating right up by the door and a raccoon came along and just took over the dish. Skunk turned it's back and stomped it's feet multiple times, but never sprayed and finally wandered away. The one the other day ran out of the trap a little ways and did that several times to me, but it wasn't cornered and I knew it was just for show. They will relocate the raccoons and opossums, but will NOT do the skunks. When I walk the yard I keep an eye on their traps, so that if they do catch one, they don't just leave it there for days.

Valerie great job with the elliptical and hopefully all that therapy work will get your knee back on track soon.

Carolyn nice job with the RWH Lift It HiiT it Legs and XTrain Chest, Back, and Shoulders workouts.

Diane Sue good job with the Raw Step and Pump, and CDorner Arms, Abs and Stretch.

I just realized I got sidetracked and didn't say what I did today. LOL I did Shock Cardio Hiit Pyramid and then I did Total Body Band Blast. It should be noted that I'm not one to preview a workout before I do it and I never have been, so I didn't realize this one alternated Low Impact Hiit with band strength work. I really liked it though. 56 minutes long, but moves along quickly. I used my cloth loops and bands for almost everything and used my fire walker loop for a couple. She uses tubing and the fire walker loop. This one would be an excellent travel workout.

I should also note that I'm comfortable having small wildlife around.While I occasionally hike where there might be black bears, wolves or mountain lions, the odds of encountering any are thankfully slim. Those are all from a distance in a car things for me. ;)

Today I did Jessica Smith’s 30 Minute Fat Blaster. That was 30 minutes and 214 calories burned. Average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 159.

Cathy, great job with Cardio Slam, walking at the zoo, HiiT Pyramid, and Total Body Band Blast.

Hello to All and have a wonderful day.

we had an extremely hard plastic compost bucket on the deck outside the kitchen. unknown critter ate the bottom out of the plastic and spewed vegetable matter all over. ruined the container. we kept the live trap on the ground before the stairs going up to the deck. that's where we caught the possum. not sure if he was the guilty one but we moved the trap and him and turned him loose. the critter also ate the bottom out of a container of alaska fish fertilizer. one of the store gallon jugs. wow, that was fragrant. we assumed it was the same but never were sure. I'm not so comfortable with small wildlife, but I've gotten reasonable comfortable with black bears. we've seen so many while hiking. I used to be terrified, now Im just careful, cautious. I do what they expect and they do what I expect, and all is good. grizzlies are a different category altogether. always on high alert there, with bear spray, making enough noise hiking to not walk up on anyone by accident.

I have a several more therapy exercises to do. last dr appt tomorrow and hopefully I will find out more about my knee. it seems to work Ok but Im still nervous about it.

Yesterday I did CDorner Hip Hop Tabata, 39 minutes, heart rate 139/159, 206 calories, 3,061 steps. I followed this with CDorner Stretch and Flow from 2 months, 36 minutes, 58 calories, 78/104 heart rate.
75 minutes, 264 calories. Hip Hop Tabata was not too bad, and she gave alternative moves. There was only one round that had mountain climber on the floor, and I just did the standing option. All rounds were 20/10 and 2 exercises done 4 times before moving to the next round. The last round was a feet off the floor Russian twist and forearm plank step out knee drop so I got in some abs. She had problems with audio at first.
No workout. I went to get my eye exam this morning and order some new reading glasses with bifocals. I was surprised with insurance how much it still cost. Although they did do some extra tests because of cataracts and the hydroxychloroquine. I added the scratch and anti-glare to the lenses. I have not gone out and purchased glasses in years. I have just been using readers from Walgreens and Amazon. I am looking forward to decent glasses. Everything has increased so much in cost.
I thought I posted yesterday:oops:

Valerie, I see lots of dead armadillos and skunks that get run over around here. I am with you on steering clear of a skunk. Even dead one's stink and it is bad when you run over them right after someone else and the smell is in the garage. Every time skunks are mentioned I think of my daughter who had her dogs drag one in through the doggie door. They had to work on that one. I probably mentioned that in the past.
Weird about a critter getting into your compost. Fish fertilizer would have a lovely aroma. Not!! When we clean all of the fish debris out of the bottom of our aquarium, we dump the buckets on our pine and other plants. We did that at another house where we had planted two Christmas trees in the front yard. They eventually covered the whole front yard. My son bought that house and finally took out one of them. He kept the one that we had put up the last family gathering with my mother-in-law. It always meant something to us.

Carolyn, nice work with Jessica Smith Fat Blaster and yesterday's X Train, chest, back and shoulders.

Cathy, it must be fun going to the zoo and knowing the animals somewhat. Funny that you were dissed this time. I had to look up the Colobus. Interesting looking monkey! Nice work getting in the floor work be for the zoo walk. Also, nice work with Hiit Pyramid. That was a favorite out of the 3 for me.
My husband is having a fuss with one of our Chichlid fish as it keeps digging up the gravel and piling it all the way to the glass on the bottom. He puts it back and fish digs it back up. I told him, maybe they are getting ready to lay eggs again. We are going to have an overcrowded aquarium soon as they are getting big. I think my husband is going to put another plant back in where the fish is digging. Wonder what the fish will do when he does that. All creatures seem to have some distinct character.

Last edited:
Yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton Ride and a 20 minute lower body workout. Today I did a 3 mile run.
It was a beautiful day, sunny and in the 70's. I'm enjoying the nice weather while it lasts then I will refocus on strength training and indoor workouts again.

Carolyn-Great job with RWH Lift It HiiT it Legs, XTrain Chest, Back, and Shoulders and Jessica Smith’s 30 Minute Fat Blaster.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw Step and Pump, CDorner Hip Hop Tabata and the CDorner Stretch. Thanks for posting the breakdown of Kelly's chest workout. Thanks to you I have a nice set of Raw workouts printed and ready to go. I'm looking forward to adding them into my routine this fall and winter.

Cathy-Great job with Strong and Sweaty Cardio Slam (no floor), Live PHA No Repeats, Shock Cardio Hiit Pyramid and Total Body Band Blast. I'm really looking forward to STS 2.0

Valerie-Nice job with the elliptical and PT moves. I remember when I was going through PT for my low back. It seemed like most of my workouts during that time were PT related.

Hi to Lori

Reactions: WD
another orthopedic appt done . my knee is having serious issues. I am going to set up for some PT but its looking like I might need replacement. the knee joint is actually ok but the patella is not tracking right, no space at all, is causing the issues. I can try therapy to see if this can be corrected to some degree but I'm not happy. the event I had was probably related to the patella getting caught and then releasing after a chunk broke off. not good! Sigh getting old is hard to deal with. I can get lubricant injections and do PT and see how things shake out.

we have been working a project on our camper. a common problem, where the connections to the waste water break off. ours broke at both entry and exit, and the access is terrible. this is a common problem with campers because code requires stiff pipe and the road jiggling eventually breaks connections. I spent much of yesterday working in a a 9x30 inch space because DH cannot fit into the opening. I did sawing, patching, attaching, wrenching, you name it. it still leaked after the whole process. not badly but it cant leak and there is no room to use a pipe wrench in the area. so we will have to open an access by cutting into the floor above.

Hi all! Been work busy since the storm. Lots of moving pieces with the restaurants after the storm. Restaurants running out of food due to trucks not being able to deliver, short staffed. The list goes on. Things have settled a bit.

So much devastation here in Florida. It is so very sad.

I have committed to working out every morning and so far so good. My workouts are consistently LEKfit and Suzanne Bowen. Surprisingly, I am able to do about 45mins so I am very happy with this. Plus I walk Newman around the Lake. We do sunrise walks and it is so beautiful. This will never get old. My diet needs work, and my employment does not help! We have a test kitchen in the office and most days, all day long they are bringing food out. At first you try just a sampling, then another, then what the heck…might as well eat the entire burrito! Lol! I work for Tijuana Flats Tex Mex….food is so fresh. When Bob was sick the chef felt bad and was constantly making me lunch and food to take home. I had to politely, ask him to stop without hurting his feelings.

I am kind of getting excited about Cathe’s new STS. Not sure if I could ever do heavy weights like the first STS, but thinking I could do a rotation using lighter weights. Still making it challenging for me of course with room to grow. I find it motivating seeing the pictures.

You all are really inspiring me with your incredible workouts! I love reading what everyone is doing. You ladies are still so fierce!

Valerie…how did you hurt your back? And your knee? So sorry to read this.

Have a great day all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.