Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/02/2022

Today I did a timesaver from XTrain Bis and Tris which was 28 minutes and 108 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 159. I needed to go to the grocery store so I kept my workout short.

Valerie, I hope that your doctor’s appointment goes well today.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Hip Hop Tabata and Stretch and Flow. Eyeglasses are very expensive even with insurance. I get annoyed by the cost every time that I get new glasses.

Judy, great job with the 45 minute Peloton ride, 20 minute lower body workout, and outdoor run. I don’t blame you for wanting to enjoy running outside while you can.

Lori, we must have been posting at the same time. It’s great that you are getting back into Lekfit and Suzanne Bowen. I remember that those were favorites of yours. It’s heartbreaking to see the devastation in Florida. Trying to control your food intake in the restaurant would be challenging for anyone. I know that you will figure out how to do it. I still do WW as a lifetime member. It’s my lifestyle at this point. The virtual meetings are great for me.

Hello to and Cathy.

Last edited:
Carolyn appt went Ok, I just dont like the information I got!
Lori, I hurt my knee about 2 weeks ago while riding. it was an event where the kneecap( probably) got snagged on underlying bone and I probably broke off a piece. I am going to go to PT and get lubricant injections to see if this can be corrected somewhat, but the next option is knee replacement. my kneecap doesn't track right and hasn't for a long time. there's a groove for it, and mine isn't in the groove anymore. You remember Garance? she had a knee replacement and did well as I remember so its not hopeless. my back is an ongoing ache. like many people, an imbalance because one leg is shorter than the other. my hips are uneven, makes the spine uneven etc. it's not likely a surgical fix, some regular exercise movements. many core based. even small "imbalances" get more exaggerated over time and I'm getting pretty damn old. 74.

Lori good for you getting back into the routine. yep, impossible to out-exercise your fork! restaurant food is almost always too caloric for every day. easy, tastes good but too many calories.

Florida is sure a mess. its increasingly clear people should not rebuild in vulnerable areas, especially with climate change moving forward. I guess it will be up to insurance companies to start refusing to insure places built right on the water in hurricane prone areas.

Today I did CDorner Legs and Butt workout, 54 minutes, 134 calories, heart rate 93/131, 580 steps. I then did CDorner Fast Basic Step #240 Disco music, heart rate 116/144. 186 calories, 3,444 steps, 42 minutes. I finished with CDorner Morning stretch on the beach, 12 minutes, 19 calories. Total time was 1 hr 48 minutes, 339 calories, 4,024 steps. I woke up with no painful areas today :) One of those rare times. No stiff neck, back or knees. I realized it when I sat down and automatically started doing some neck movements and realized there was no pain.
CDorner Legs and Butt workout 42 minutes
uses an optional stability ball, dumbbells, and a fabric loop band
3 different groupings done 2 times each 45 seconds per move
squat heel lift 15# dbs
plie heel lift holding one dumbbell 25#
single leg pistol squat no weight, she uses a chair for balance
prone leg curl with a dumbbell between feet
(Chris uses a heavy dumbbell, which Iose mine so I used 5# ankle weights and a 5# dumbbell between feet. I kept the ankle weights on for the second round of this segment)
repeat
heavy fabric loop band and ball band worn throughout this segment
Band above knees sit and stand on ball
roll out on the ball iso hold knees in and out
on back feet flat on ball hip lifts and and out
monster walk with band still on and a 15# dumbbell

repeat and remove band for 3rd section
Deadlift 20# dbs moves are slow
angled lunge straighten front leg and back into lunge
(this is stationary and no stepping forward and back)
side lying inner thigh lift 5# dumbbell
repeat
bonus- 1 dumbbell hold in lie pressing knees out
stretch

No workout today as I shopped. DH is off to Cadillac tomorrow to check in with a project, so I can do some more cleaning that's easier when he's gone. So excited. LOL

Carolyn nice job with 30 Minute Fat Blaster.

Valerie so sorry to hear that you possibly need a knee replacement. I hope there is something else that can help it so you don't have to go that route. Eating through plastic is pretty drastic. Wow. My sister says you can often smell the bears before you see them, and they just back off and go back the way they came instead of continuing on towards them.

Judy great job with the Peloton ride, lower body workout and run. I'm very much looking forward to STS 2.0. The ab work looks fun and innovative and it sounds like there will be some mobility type bonuses. Saw Cathe comment on FB the other day that she's not sure they'll get them out before the end of the year. They never know how long editing will take until they are doing it.

Lori I'm glad that you are getting back into a routine, the stories out of Florida are so sad. It's going to take so long, if ever, for some people to recover.

Diane Sue great job with Hip Hop Tabata and Stretch and Flow. Colubus babies are born totally white and she's now getting her colors. Soon she'll just be a smaller version of her family. I wouldn't bet against the fish rearranging the plant. Sounds like it's pretty determined.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Fit, All Cardio no weights premix. That was 34 minutes and 223 calories burned. Average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Valerie, I’m sorry that the doctor didn’t have better news for you. I hope that you can avoid knee replacement surgery, although people that I know that have had it have done well. I remember that Garance had that surgery. It seems to have gone well for her. She is still doing Cathe Live workouts and will post about them occasionally.

Diane Sue, nice job with the CDORNER workout and stretch.

Cathy, it’s nice to have the house to yourself occasionally. Enjoy that cleaning!

Hello to Judy and Lori.

This morning I did my IMAX workout. Got the floors upstairs steam mopped. I can sort of do them when DH was here, today I moved all the stuff out of the way that's moveable so I could sweep thoroughly and clean more floor. Made spring rolls for supper. Haven't done that in a long time. I bought a finely cut stir fry mix and fixed that to go in them and it was quick and easy.

Carolyn nice job with KCM's Cardio Fit.

Today I started with CDorner Kickboxing Hiit from yesterday's class she did but stopped after round 1 when I realized she was going to do more stuff on the floor, and there was quite a bit of jacks in it. When I was doing the plank moves it made my foot and toe start hurting so I decided to find something else. It was okay though; I just was not feeling it. That was 17 minutes, 80 calories, heart rate 116/144, 827 steps. I then did one I have done before I liked, Crazy Fun Dance, kickboxing, and stretch, 49 minutes, 214 calories, heart rate 121/154, 3,638 steps. She made several of these workouts that are around 15 to 20 minutes, each segment. I like them. Nice stretch at the end as well and she worked on the feet. Total time was 66 minutes, 294 calories, 4,465 step

I never got back here yesterday and now I have to get up early again for the lawn guy so need to get to bed.

Lori, it is good to see you are getting back into some workouts. Getting food to try and to take home would sure make keeping the weight down hard. I take stuff given to me and eat a helping and stuff the rest in the freezer. If I don't find a way to feed it to someone later on, I toss it when I clean out the freezer.

Carolyn, I am kind of looking forward to the new glasses. I wish I did not need them at all, but I do again. I had the laser surgery years ago and it was awesome. Now I have floaters and developing cataracts and vision has shifted. I am sure the new glasses will fit and look better than the cheap readers I pick up at Amazon. Plus I am getting no line bifocals. It is difficult sometimes when I am trying to look down at church to see without tilting my head down more and that makes my neck hurt quickly. Nice work with Kelly Coffey's Cardio Fit cardio mix.

Valerie, you are very active for your age. I know how it is with the imbalances and things. I have mentioned before than I am off like that as well. I usually do not have lower back pain, but it has sure hit lately. The hip is losing bone density on one side. My whole back hurts more than it used to. We do the best we can to stay healthy and keep moving. My brother had one knee replacement. He did well with it. He still has to get the other one though.

Cathy, nice work with IMAX. That is interesting that the Colubus are white when they are born. I am pretty sure this fish is going to be tenacious about moving the gravel. I told my husband it was kind of cute watching it pick up the gravel and move it over to its pile. I like it when I can get something already cut up to prepare a dish that I normally make. I use broccoli slaw a lot in dishes or in place of noodles. It sure saves all of that chopping time. I always feel accomplished when I get my floors all cleaned well and steam mopped. I even steam mop our walk-in shower.

Judy, I hope things are going well with your project. I will be posting the next workout when Kelly gets it up. I think someone said she was going to do an ab workout too. Hoping for legs next.

Thursday was a rest day and yesterday I did Live PHA Super Sets 2-No Repeats. We had our new dishwasher delivered yesterday. We are also putting in a new faucet and sink so we will be working on those projects this weekend. I went back to work last week, but I had all next week scheduled off some time ago so I have another good break coming up.

Valerie-I'm sorry about your knee. I hope you don't need to have a replacement, but the people I've known that had one seemed to do very well afterwards.

Carolyn-Great job with the XTrain Bi's and Tri's timesaver.

Lori-Great job getting your workouts in! I remember Suzanne Bowen, her workouts are really good.

Cathy-Great job with IMAX.

Diane Sue-I hope Kelly puts a leg workout up too. Since STS 2.0 isn't going to be out for a while, I might do a short strength rotation with the Raw workouts this fall.

Just finished Opposites Attract. Total Body and one of those "we're not going to count reps" workouts. This translates into we're often going to do 20+ reps. Set your own pace based on your weight choice. Overall it's a good workout, you just have to pick the right weights. She pairs up areas and finishes them before moving on. I found it interesting that she paired up shoulders and abs. Uses dumbbells, band/tube, stability ball and mat. We've reached heat on even during the day time here. Color is starting to really pick up, though still quite a bit of green here.

Diane Sue great job with Crazy Fun Dance. Sometimes a workout just isn't working for you, and switching to something else works better. I really don't enjoy cooking, so any shortcuts I can take are a definite plus.

Judy nice job with PHA Super Sets 2-No Repeats. I hope your weekend sink project goes smoothly. I'm sure you're glad to be working less.

Today is my rest day. I had my meeting this morning and now I’m doing housework.

Cathy, great job with your IMAX workout and Live Opposites Attract Total Body. I love to cook and try new recipes. My shortcuts are usually things that I have prepped ahead when I have extra time.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner Kickboxing HiiT and Crazy Fun Dance. Sometimes a workout is just not the one that you want to do on that day. You will like your progressive lens bifocals, but it might take a couple of days to get used to them.

Judy, great job with Live PHA Supersets 2. It sounds like you and Chris are getting a lot accomplished around your house.

Hello to Valerie and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did CDorner Step Aerobics and weights from 3 weeks ago. This was 54 minutes, heart rate 110/147, 2,783 steps. I liked this one as nothing complicated. Music was decent and no high impact. I woke up this morning and my low back hurts so bad. Not sure why, but I have stretched, soaked in warm water, and taken Advil. We have things to go out and do today.
I did CDorner Chair stretch from July 31. I did it in my secondary workout room and really had complications. Roku was not cooperating with loading youtube and suggested a sd card. It is a Roku 3.0 I guess it is old. Anyway when it loaded finally I had started up I could not see the bottom of the screen. I went to the all in one computer which the keyboard was not working on for some reason and I could not log into Google. I finally gave up and used my tablet.

CDorner Step Aerobics and Weights
each cardio segment 3 minutes and each weight/strength segment was 3 minutes doing two moves for 8 reps and repeating till 3 minutes were up
step cardio 3 minutes
strength reverse lunge row 10# dbs and crossback lunge hammer curl
cardio 3 minutes
strength push ups or bench press option I chose bench press 10# dbs and dips or kickbacks I did kickbacks 10's
cardio 3 minutes
Strength bicycles lying on step and plank knee cross (there are different options here)
cardio 3 minutes
reverse lunge front raise right 8 reps followed by reverse lung lateral raise 8 reps on left side
cardio that she continues longer than 3 minutes
finishing with abs standing side bend holding step or weight me 5# 8 reps followed by plank knees out to sides alternating both moves done twice
stretch

Carolyn, enjoy your day and get some rest in there somewhere. I think the body appreciates those rests.
My husband chose progressive lenses, and they sit in his case because he hates them. I told him to take them back and change the lenses out. He just wears his old one. I am more of one that will keep at it and make it work for me. If they don't, they do say you can bring them back in and they do something to the lenses to get rid of it free of charge on the paperwork. I am not sure how they do that though.

Judy, nice work with PHA supersets yesterday. I bet you are happy to have the new dishwasher.

Diane Sue, I have been wearing progressive lenses for many years. However, when I picked up my first pair it was after work and I was on my way to a step aerobics class at the gym. I can only say that that did not go well. I hadn’t given myself time to adjust to the new glasses and I had a lot of trouble with the step! It took me a couple of days of wearing them before I was comfortable. My son-in-law got a pair for the first time a few months ago. He was ready to return them the first day but we convinced him to wait a few days. He was fine with them after the first few days.

We did a real hike this morning and my knee did OK. close to 2 hours with a lot of up and down and very uneven terrain. in our favorite park by the water. saw quite a few dolphins, even an adult with what I think was a young one. only glimpses as the arc up and back down but one was quite small and sticking close to Mom.
knee is much more solid than a week ago. I will be doing a lot of therapy exercises to stabilize it. DH thinks I dislocated it, and it snapped back into place and stretched some things in the process, going back to normal slowly. " normal" isnt perfect but it will do. some of it is psychological. Fear of what might happen before I even start. I wore a OTC brace today that helped and served as a reminder to step carefully. next will be a mt bike. right now we are getting a lot of smoke from a wildfire and unfavorable wind direction so we will wait until the air clears. that's why we went near the water to hike. air was much better. my thought is if I have to replace I will, but the original equipment is still best if still functional.

I enjoy cooking as long as things turn out well. if I have a few flops in a row I can get discouraged, need a day off, and then take another swing at it.

I left before I finished reading posts. My husband and I had to go out and run some errands. We went to T Mobile to try to figure out some phone issues since call forwarding was not working and my husbands phone seemed to be hijacking my phone number and some of his text messages was going to me. It turns out that the Samsung account in my name had all of his numbers associated with mine. I had to take him off of it and I think it worked.

Cathy, nice work today with Total Body. I have learned that if reps and moves are hard to count, not to bother writing it down. I do like using a variety of equipment. My problem is that sometimes I really like cooking. But, my husband and I eat differently and generally I am not wanting to cook two different meals at the same time. I eat a lot of tuna on Ezekial bread and protein powder and bars with some fruit and vegetables unless I feel like cooking something special. I found I like the Siete grain free taco shells and almond flour tortillas with different easy fillings and topped with Primal Kitchen dairy free queso. That is usually simple along with a salad.
My husband ordered some canned meats to try out so if it is good we will order and have on hand in case of a crisis. It says they keep 5 years but can go longer. Didn't like the taco meat one, but I pulled out the beef one and made stew out of it and it was pretty good. I am thinking what to do with the chicken. I told my husband dried beans keep, rice does well except grains can get buggy after a long storage. I remember my grandmother said flour was okay, you just sift out the bugs. I guess when you live during depression era you eat what you have.

Valerie, with what happened to my knee, the first time the pain was clear up my hip and it hurt to try to stand up and walk on it. It took a couple of days of dealing with it till it mended. Then the second time I did not try to pull myself up off of the floor and massaged it and when I pushed down on the knee it popped back into place. Felt okay after that, but I was worried. When I went back to working out on it I wore a compression sleeve. I am very careful with getting up and down off of the floor and weird angles after that. Both times I was on the floor and had been doing a yoga mobility stretch workout. I am glad you are doing better. Maybe working on it will help alleviate it happening again. I am sure I have something wrong or mine would not have done it twice, so I know something is off or something is floating around in the joint area. I do not want to do any more surgeries if I can keep from it.
Speaking of things not turning out well, I made cinnamon rolls which was from an old recipe of my grandmother's, and I have made many times. I thought the lady's group would enjoy them and it ended up the ones I baked in the glass pan stuck to the pan and burned on the bottom. I was so upset after doing all of the work. I thought about it, and I have never used a glass pan for bread and cinnamon rolls before. So, from now on I will have to keep that in mind. The dough raised well and everything. Just did not bake well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.