Penagenarians & Beyond W/B 12/20

Today I did Gym Style Legs timesaver #2. My time was 50 minutes with 207 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 161. I will feel this one tomorrow!

Cathy, great job with Party Rockin Step 1. I still struggle with getting the choreography in that one.

Valerie, great job with Cardio Party warmup, Stacked Sets Upper Body, and X Train Core 1. That’s how I learn some of the step workouts, a little at a time.

Waving hello to Judy, Deb, Diane Sue, and Lori.

No workout today as I shopped. I don't shop Christmas Eve day. It was busier than normal, but not terribly crowded. Tomorrow will doubtless be worse.

Valerie you're are doing great with your persistence on learning Cardio Party!

Carolyn great job with the Gym Style Legs workout!

I have everything ready for Christmas Eve/Christmas. Years ago, I don't remember how old the boys were, we started doing stockings Christmas Eve. I have no idea what time we'll do presents Christmas Day. Nick is generally awake fairly early, and I never sleep past 7 even when I want, but the other two are champion sleepers. The boys have long passed the days of wanting to be up as soon as possible. And they all voted for pizza for Christmas this year, frozen pizzas. LOL So, my job is pretty easy compared to what I usually do, and the mess I have in dishes afterwards. I'm quite good with that!

Hi to everyone!

we did a short hike this morning in a state park. 70 minutes. peaceful and quiet because we were early. probably no more than 2 miles total. later did a solid 30 min on the elliptical. we want to snowshoe tomorrow. it finally stopped raining for a couple days.

cathy thats a pretty easy holiday menu! as long as everyone is happy though. we will do a small turkey roast. Jenny O makes boneless skinless breast roasts that go right to the oven without defrosting. perfect size for 2-4 people with still some leftovers. wise choice, I am not going anywhere near a store tomorrow either.

I am feeling pretty good today. No fever for several days now I am up moving around more and did some stretching this morning as I feel really stiff from sleeping on the sofa bed. Maybe sleeping so much as well. I have averaged 8-12 hours of sleep through this each day. Today I am officially off quarantine, but no plans to run out the door anywhere. I called the arthritis center and he figured what their guidelines were and said I could still keep my appointment Monday morning as long as there was no sniffles or coughs. Even if I have allergies bothering me. So, I will call them and change it if I have any of that. I was really wanting to get that stuff out of the way before the heavier winter weather hits and school starts back up. I will still have to call back the center for my mammogram to reschedule as it was scheduled for today. I am still taking things slow. My daughter told me that the health network that their friends off is out of and my urgent care I go to says protocol besides C,D, zinc, and low dose aspirin is also now melatonin for covid.
My husband has not caught the virus. I am hoping he is out of the woods on it. I have stayed far away from him and spend a lot of time upstairs. I have antibacterial cleaner from Melaleuca that I have sprayed all over everything throughout the house constantly including light switches which I do not touch. I use a paper towel with the spay on it. Anyway, today would be 11 days. Generally people catch it sooner than that, but there are cases up to 14 days from contact.
Silly me, I waited till tonight to decide to fill out a Whole Foods delivery order and forgot tomorrow is Christmas Eve. I may have to wait till Saturday as it said there were not delivery openings. That may change in the morning, but somehow I am doubtful. It happened to me once before and when I got up in the morning there were delivery openings, but that time it was not a holiday.

Judy, nice workouts. I really liked the 40/20 Low Impact Hiit. Time went quickly with that one. I have not done the med ball blast live workout yet. Every time I look at it I see the picture with the ball overhead and think my shoulders and neck will hurt. One day I really do want to try it. Cathe does not use a heavy med ball for that one does she? I have 8,10,and 15# and one soft 5# ball. The firm med balls are probably too heavy.

Valerie, those people that own zoom are probably raking in the dollars right now. I think the confusing thing with an L step is that it is more a step out and together and then turn to make the L and the feet always return together before making the switch to make an L. I am glad you are working on it. That is a fun workout when you get it down. I forgot about Cathe's tutorials. Glad that Deb thought to post the link. My husband and son installed a new hot water heater recently. The sad thing is we have lived here 6 years and the people had just put in a new hot water heater and mailed me the receipt. It sure didn't hold up for long. I think most things are made to fail faster anymore.

Cathy, Party Rock'n Step workouts are fun. My favorite is the more Dancy one. I love both though and they have been a choice often when I didn't really feel like doing a workout. Sorry about your heat system. Our last house had a really old unit and when I had them come out the guy said they don't make anything like it anymore. It was a huge unit. Funny thing was it would not light. The guy pulls out some little wire, scrapes off corrosion, sticks it back into it's spot and the heater lights. So when it happened again, my husband did the same thing and it worked. Glad we did not have to replace it. The ones where we are now are very old and we had to replace a motor for something in one this summer for the air. We have two units in our house which I guess are heat and air together. The one downstairs seems to struggle lighting as it lights and turns off over and over and I really think that it might be the smart hours thermostat, but OG&E tries to tell me that it is not their thermostat. If I turn the thermostat clear off and restart it, it cuts on. I hope you stay warm. Glad that you have someone that can help and has heat for you.

Carolyn, nice work with Gym Styles today.

Yesterday I did ICE Chiseled Lower Body with Muscle Meltdown Shoulders and Icy Core 2. I work today then will be off until Monday. My schedule for the next month is really good, with 2 weeks that I have 5 days off in a row. This is a slower time for HD so my hours will be low for the next couple of months.

Deb-I remember those tutorials that Cathe did. They are really helpful.

Diane Sue-I'm glad you are feeling better. I was reading about melatonin being helpful for Covid, even as a preventative. I'm also taking extra vitamin c and d. I have Chris taking these too.
Cathe uses a 4 lb medicine ball for the workout. I have a smaller 6 lb ball that I used but 4 would probably be better for the overhead moves. Using the 6 lb one really got my heart rate up. I might look for a 4 lb one on Amazon.

Carolyn-Great job with Gym Style Legs!

Valerie-Nice that you got a hike and elliptical workout in!

Hi to Cathy & Lori!

Today I did Step Sync, combos 1 and 2, for 33 minutes and 232 calories burned. Average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 147.

Cathy, pizza will certainly make Christmas dinner easy. My plans keep expanding with every “but I thought that we were having...” from my husband and daughter. I baked requested cookies and I made a German chocolate cake. I hadn’t planned on either of those things! We will open gifts on Christmas Day.

Valerie, nice job with the hike and 30 minutes on the elliptical. We are also having turkey breast. We all love turkey, so it’s no hardship for us.

Diane Sue, I’m so glad that you are feeling better and that your husband hasn’t been sick. It’s hard isolate yourself from your family.

Judy, great job with the ICE workouts. Having time off will be nice I’m sure.

Hello to Deb and Lori.

e did a hike snowshoe this morning. wanted to snowshoe and carried them, but snow didnt get deep enough to use them. went uphill for an hour over very nasty out of use road. it had many tank traps on it so it's way more work that you imagine. steep up / steep down then another steep up and down and then flat for a bit, repeat. we expected more snow. snowshoes are heavy. lots of downed trees, branches, a big waste of time and energy. might be better with more snow. this was a PITA. beautiful sunny day but we need more snow before snow sports will be fun.

diane sue great that you are recovering. your DH is lucky to have dodged the bullet. how is the rest of your family?

I havent made any dessert things for xmas. will see what DH wants, if anything. feels wrong to bake a dessert for the two of us when we are both on a diet. oh my a german chocolate cakes sounds wonderful I haven't had one of those in at least 20 years. I have made itmyself before but only when we had guests so I didn't have to face those leftovers! If you can send some home with your guests it isn't so damaging.

Last edited:
I am feeling pretty good again today. I did have a shorter night though and ended up having a nap this afternoon. Silly Whole Foods texted and said they were filling my order this afternoon. I waited and waited and then they texted saying still coming, just running late. Then suddenly they just cancelled it. I am so mad. So, items I really could have used I will have to wait till Saturday for. I wanted some granola, and decided since the order did not come, to make a small batch myself. I need my nut milk and my husband milk. I also was wanting a sweet potato. My appetite has been really weird and I can't taste much. Tomorrow will be 13 days and I am off quarantine. I still have made my husband stay away. I am just so afraid somehow he could get it.

Judy, I was thinking a lighter med ball would be good to have. I could use it in place of the play ball with Jessica Smith.

Carolyn, that happens to me with meal planning. The expectations. I end up with more than I had planned. I have done nothing this year so far. Family Christmas will be January 10th to give my husband a chance to get over the virus if her were to have got it. So, dinner and everything has been held off and will be at my daughters. She says she will keep up her Christmas tree and decor.

Valerie, my family is all fine. They have stayed away. My two grandchildren were here for two days after the negative covid quick test. I still distanced, but my daughter asked to bring them since they do not have a computer for school. The first days are the most contagious and even before symptoms. Anyway on Friday when I got the positive test I called my son in law and he came and got them. So far they are all okay.

Merry Christmas all!!!!!

We are in Navarre celebrating with our inlaws. Almost did not go...but they have been great social distancing and so have we. They usually have their neighbors over for dinner but they are not, so it just us four. We felt comfortable with this.

I will get back on track posting after the holidays. Been thinking of you all and again wishing you a Merry Christmas!

Good morning and Merry Christmas to everyone.

ETA got my new Cathe calendar and a set of 4 resistance bands. DH got me a new pair of weight gloves. my old ones are in shreds but I kept forgetting to buy new ones. off to the gym to check them out.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone!

Yesterday I ended up doing a lot of my upper body 1Rm’s. Only 15 to go now. Today I didn’t feel like doing lower body, so I did Party Rockin’ Step 2. I liked it, but I liked the first one a lot better.

I wore my new smart watch for the first time after yesterday’s work out. Still figuring out a few things, but in some ways it’s better than the fitbits I‘ve had. I like the watch better, but the app that goes with it really needs some work. Gave me a calorie burn of 394 this morning which is a lot higher than my Fitbit would have given me. BPM range was 90-151 with average of 119 which seems reasonable.

Valerie, sorry you didn’t have enough snow to make the snowshoeing happen. We have barely had anything but flurries so far this winter. right now we have some, but the grass is still showing through. Looked at the webcams from NMU and even Marquette only has just enough to cover the grass.

Carolyn great job with Step Sync!

Diane Sue I’m so happy to hear you are doing so well and great that the rest of your family is okay!

Lori enjoy your Christmas with family.

Merry Christmas! This morning I did Perfect 30 Yoga Strength and Flexibility. I slept 9 hours again. I don't know how my body is going to do when I have to go back to getting up so early in the morning. I am taking it slow. Maybe next week some time I will so a bit more than yoga, but will build back up. I watch Cathe's latest live workout clip and decided it would have to wait. The cardio looks intense, but the idea of light weights sounded good.
One of my ladies group women that had had hip replacement surgery passed away today. She popped an artery and had had a lot of bleeding. It was a surprise as she was doing well with rehabilitating. She will be greatly missed when we get together again.

Lori, nice that you are able to spend Christmas with your inlaws and that it is a small group.

Carolyn, I am sure that you are having a nice Christmas with your daughter there.

Judy, I hope that you and your husband have a wonderful Christmas today.

Valerie, I need to get new weight lifting gloves, but always forget till I am lifting and Kelly or Cathe are wearing gloves. I tossed my old Nike ones as they were coming apart and the padding was flaking off. It is funny how we forget those things. Nice that you husband got you new weight gloves.

Cathy, what kind of watch did you get? I still have my eye on Withings, but I do not think that there is a smart watch that has as much with the app as Fitbit. I can get charts and print outs with the Withings app and it syncs with Fitbit, my Whithings scale, and My Fitness Pal. I like the more Dancy Party Rock'n Step too. They are both good, but the one is usually my choice of the two. Hope you enjoyed your pizza Christmas dinner. I am making my husband stew. Not sure what I want. Yesterday I had such an urge for granola and made some and ate too much!!

Good morning all.

I got in 30 min on the elliptical yesterday. I did most of it at level 10. Im gradually increasing intensity. will stay at 10 for a while and then ease to 11. yesterday was definitely less hectic than most holidays. our dinner came together easily and was darn good considering how little prep it took. I used a direct freezer- to- oven turkey roast. I like these. I'm a convert. for 2 people they are perfect. no defrost, no bones, take 2.5 hours to roast. as much as I would have liked a german chocolate cake or the like, we had EW n'ice cream.

started the morning with strong wind and rain. power went out. back up in about 30 min. yay for the PUD. we might have lost the water filter/ice maker on our refrigerator. the power flickered on/off/on/off for a while before going out, and so far it isn't working. I think it needs a reset since all the lights work, but no water or ice. that never happened before. I hate it if we have sensitive things are connected when the power flickers. I could turn off a computer if I was in the room, you can't turn off a refrigerator.

Today I did Gym Style Chest and Triceps timesaver for 42 minutes and 189 calories burned. Average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 148.

We had a very nice Christmas considering that it was just a part of the family. We did Facetime with daughter number 1 as she opened her gifts and introduced us to her her new puppy. Daughter number 2 and family sent us a video of them opening the gifts from us and we talked with them later in the day.

Valerie, I'm glad that your meal was easy and enjoyable. I don't exclude desserts from my celebrations. I work on managing my behaviors and planning them into my day. My dinner was 45 points, but I'm fine with that. It all works out by the end of the week because of weekly and rollover points.

Hello to all and have a wonderful day.

This morning I did Cardio Hiit Plus Core. I've done this one before and it definitely leaves me a sweaty mess. LOL While it doesn't show the stats on my app, my new watch shows a nice breakdown of types of calorie burn that you can access until the next workout. It even recognizes a warmup. It broke down to warmup 4 min, Fat-burning 12 min, Cardio 10 min, anaerobic 11 min and extreme 10 min! I found it fascinating that there is apparently something beyond anaerobic. bpm min 90, max 156, and ave 123. I'm still discovering all the things it does, and once I see it does it trying to figure out how to make it work. The manual was unfortunately pretty sparse. I'm going to have to try and find more YouTube videos on it.

Diane Sue it's an Atria 2.0 Smartwatch by Fittrack. I have their scale. When I bought mine the end of November the only place to get it was their website. Amazon only had the original one for sale. The 2.0 was released fairly recently. It does some of the things the Fitbit Sense does like temp and blood oxygen, but doesn't have some of the feature Fitbits have like ability to listen to music. It's great that you did some yoga and that you are getting plenty of sleep right now. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, I'm sure she will be missed by everyone in your group.

Valerie sorry to hear about your fridge issues. Power outages are such pains. We are so very tied into having power these days. Without it, so much of our lives just go on hold, and for anything prolonged it would be a nightmare since you couldn't shop, get gas, the list is endless. It's great that you are continuing to ramp up the intensity on your elliptical workouts. Hopefully your rain goes away soon.

Carolyn great job on the Gym Styles workout! What kind of puppy does your daughter have?

Today I did Cathe Live #322 Fantastic Elastic, 45 minutes, 163 calories, heart rate 106/144, 1,787 steps. I also did Walk Strong 3 Total Body Stretch, 17 minutes, 16 calories.
I got my Whole Foods order today after reordering and they gave me a 25 dollar credit, so that was nice. No kombucha tea though. I was bummed when they said they were out. Partly my fault because I only like the tumeric ginger or gingerade.

Deb, I hope that you had a nice Christmas.

Valerie, I had an appliance repair person from Sears once tell me to buy single surge protectors for my appliances so I have them on my refrigerators. My refrigerator sometimes stops making ice and I have to pull the cover off and hold the knob to restart it moving again. I am unsure what causes it, but I will suddenly notice we are not getting ice. I hope you can figure it out.

Carolyn, that is nice that you were able to do face time with family. I usually do not do without the desert on special occasions. I did not make any this time though. I was supposed to make pumpkin pie for my daughter's , so we will still have the goodies on our family celebration in January.

Cathy, I have purchased so many devices that have sparse instructions. You have to find it online somewhere. I wish they still gave out paper manuals for stuff. I had to do some reading online to set up my scale and then I still ended up having my grandson in law who is it help with it. I like that now I can see the graphs on the scale and the weather at the end of weigh in. Kind of convenient when deciding what to wear. I don't use a lot of the features like music with my Fitbit. Fit bit keeps adding new features. Your Atria 2.0 sounds interesting.

fridge is OK. its at least 25-30 yrs old so only a convenience issue. the GFI got tripped by the flickering power. I didn't realize it had a GFI switch at all since plug is behind storage crates. all ok.

I did Rock Sock, the triceps muscle meltdown and also icy core 1. I'm much better at this one than I was to begin with. I do small vertical jumps instead of jacks and angels. feels like almost as much work but I don't have to worry about landing wrong.

Carolyn if I could make a small version of german chocolate cake, maybe 4 servings, Id do it in a heartbeat. that whole big cake I would not be able to ignore. we wont be having guests. our closest neighbors.... she is celiac so no wheat flour. I'd bake it and split it with someone. then I'd be OK about one or two servings.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.