Getting Our Licks In!

Much activity! Did lower body blast standing prefix only, a climbing session where I managed a climbing sequence that is hard and scary TWICE (to convince myself it was possible), and five miles walking a moderately hilly trail. Beautiful outside!

Cindy, you did Halloween right! You've been eating clean, sounds like, since the candy zapped you. Nice recovery with the yoga to kind of force it out of the system.

Janie, your breadmaking has come so far. Loaf after gorgeous loaf :) What a terrific skill. Looking forward to hearing about how the ICE mixed rotation goes. Also, what wonderful news about your sister-in-law. I felt the chemo was the worst part. Does she have more to come besides all the monitoring?

Michelle, hugs and best wishes, friend.

This week, another overseas trip for business, midweek start. Luckily by leaving early I can spend a few days (at my own expense) enjoying London before the work starts, since the flight goes through Heathrow. Likely I will disappear for around a week and a half, then post again, possibly peeking in on you if I am connected.

Last edited:
Sorry I've been missing in action the past week. I'm still trying to get into a new daily routine. It's going to take some time. I did work out twice last week but I didn't record it right away so I'm not sure anymore what I did. Oh well. Toby and I get good walks in everyday and this week I'm dedicated to working out every other day. Sister came to visit over the weekend and will go back home tomorrow morning. We cleaned out alot of stuff in the kitchen and the closet in Joe's office. Joe loved to buy food. Unfortunately, he loved to buy way too much and I have been throwing alot away but I'm also giving alot away (timing is good because there are alot of local food drives), and sister has taken some items home with her and to one of her friends. I haven't tackled personal items yet and it will probably be a while before I do that. It's easier to deal with the excess food and 25+ years of business records.

It's great to have Shadowpup back--enjoy your trip to London.

Janie: I will remember your sister-in-law in my prayers.

Waves to Cindy.
Michelle

Did #11 premix of ICE: Low Impact Sweat . Icy Core 2. Total of 42 min.

Read your posts and you all are awesome!

Take care everyone,

Janie

Michelle, everything you do right now is goodness. ((hugs)). I'm close enough to drive over on a Saturday and help, when in town, if that's ever useful. Or we could go for a hike! Billy Goat Trail??? Let me know if you want to, if you feel like it.

Janie, great job on starting your new ICE plan!

Cindy, Laura, waving to you both :)

Yesterday, ICE upper body, standing work only. Today ... for whatever reason, maybe because I don't have an ICE lower body yet and my first meetings cancelled so I get a late start, the oldies were calling to me, and I pulled out MEANER LEGS and did the standing leg work. On purpose. MEANER was one of my toughest. It still is! My stamina and form sadly showed the mumble mumble mumble year gap since doing it last. Substituted firewalkers for the sit-n-stands (because those are hard but possible so it reduced the guilt for modifying). Also I cut down on reps, to keep form, though my weigh is halfway respectable. But, I'd say this is within reach to do properly. Feels good!

Next, PACKING PREMIX after work.

Sorry for MIA; Here is what I did. Tues. LISa; Turgo Barre. Wedn. LIS: Cardio SuperSets. Thurs. ICE: Chiseled Upper Body. Whew! I need to redo this week for sure, I still haven't caught up to myself. LOL!

Everyone looks like they are doing well. Keep a going.

Take care everyone,

Janie

A good week. Sister was visiting last weekend; she left Tuesday morning. I did ICE TMB timesaver chest and icy core 1 premix on Monday. Tuesday I was at Quantico most of the day. Wednesday I did ICE Bootcamp Circuits, went into the office, came home, and Toby and I went to the last handling class. The kennel club takes a 2 month break over the holidays so we will have to practice on our own. Next show will be the Celebrate Virginia Cluster in January in Fredericksburg. My plan is that Toby and I will be entered in all 5 days. Thursday was the Marine Corps Birthday and a full day of work. Today, Toby and I were up at 5 am, took our first walk. Went back out after the sun came up for a second, longer walk. Made breakfast after getting back home and have spent the day finishing going through Joe's business records. His old partner is picking up 4 boxes of stuff tomorrow and then I can decide what to do with the more recent records, some of which I will need to keep and others shred. So, I am making headway. Did ICE Bootcamp Circuit bicep timesaver workout. Toby is learning how to balance on his front paws on my balance ball. Really amazing. We also did some practice "scent detective" finds. We start the second 6-weeks of scent detectives (aka canine nosework) classes tomorrow .

Shadowpup: it would be great to see you; I'm not sure about the hiking part. Sister would take you right up on that offer. I'm more into dog walks these days. I feel like I need to spend every spare moment with Toby these days. Probably why he is so tired at night. I am wearing him out. With all the hiking and climbing that you do, it is hard to imagine that certain of your leg muscles are not as strong. I guess it really is important to cross train to make sure you hit all the muscle groups from different angles. Try Cathe's Great Glutes.

Janie: I have to admit that TurboBarre is a workout I tend to avoid--maybe because it is such a killer. I do need to work on strenghtening my glutes. Guess I need to follow my own recommendation to Shadowpup above. Low Impact Sweat is one of my favorites from ICE.

Waves to Cindy.
Michelle

Here I am MIA again! Work has been really busy so I barely have time to look up and home life is crazy as always! This past week I have been slack on exercise but am doing RWH, PiYo and ICE when I have time. I can hardly believe Thanksgiving is next week! I'm planning to get some full body workouts in this week and am doing my best to keep the sugar away!

Michelle - Toby is keeping you busy! It's not easy going through things, so glad Toby is there to help you out :)

Shadowpup - Barre is always a good way to get those legs screaming! We all have lazy muscles, why don't they cooperate better?

Janie - Praying for your SIL! You are doing great with your workouts.

Cindy

Been doing my workouts and sorta kinda keeping up with the gang. Hmmm. I have hopes yet.

Michelle, Always nice to have sister around. Great job on ICE TMB timesaver chest and icy core 1 premix on Monday. Wednesday ICE Bootcamp Circuits. Sounds like you and Toby are doing great. Good for you! Thurs. for a couple of walks during the day with Toby. Also for doing ICE Bootcamp Circuit bicep timesaver workout. How cool for Toby balancing his front paws on the balance ball. I have a cute image in mind. LOL!

Cindy, Good job doing RWH, PiYo and ICE when time is there. Sugar is my downfall as always. Ugh... But I've been pretty good about it lately.

Take care everyone,

Janie

I can't believe another week has gone by. Still working on working out more regularly. Did Cardio Fusion step only premix on Monday, ICE shoulders muscle meltdown premix yesterday. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up with the last 8 days of Cathe's Novemeber rotation. I'm thinking if I get back to following Cathe's rotation, I can get myself back into exercising on a more regular basis. It seems like there is just so many more things that I have to do these days.

Cindy: don't feel bad about being MIA. I'm doing the same alot these days. You're getting in a diverse mix of workouts. What do you think of PiYo?

Janie: seems like we are all very busy trying to get everything into our busy schedules. I like to think that it is good that we are all so active, whether it is doing exercise or some other activity. As long as we are moving and not sitting still all the time.

Waves to Shadowpup.
Michelle

Hi all, back from London! I had about three and a half days on my own before business, and had a busy-wonderful time! Highlights were a bike ride through London with a tour (felt so brave), three plays, four climbing classes in two day (so good!), and a marathon-worth of walking. Great trip :)

How did we get so close to winter???? The fall is going so fast. I have another work trip in early December, with a weekend in California at Joshua Tree beforehand. Then 2017. Seems like no time left in the year.

Today was unpacking and getting the kitties settled down, and dealing with jet lag. However I did do a few miles on Wincopin trails to see the last of the fall leaves. Couldn't find Great Glutes but I did see Body Blast, and that has a premix for standing leg and glute work of 39 minutes. Plenty.

Michelle, there probably is a ton more to do ((hugs)) and it is great that you are doing it. Some things I still punt on.

Waves to everyone and hope you are having good weekends, not too much holiday stress.

A beautiful spring day (70 degrees) has turned to winter (30s) and a swift wind. BRRRRRR. Oh well, spring weather in November wasn't going to last forever. Toby had two great classes this morning: first, obedience and second, nosework. He really loves the nosework class. It is very light-hearted and fun. Then we came home and I cleaned out my front garden bed before doing RWH LIH1. Just watched the Hokies beat Notre Dame--so a happy college football day in the Reed household.

Shadowpup: welcome back from across the pond. Yes, the year and these autumn months have gone by very fast. I have a trip coming up to Parris Island for a week and then probably a quick trip down to Tampa in December. My business trips are not quite as exotic as yours but I'm okay with that. Did you order Cathe's new workout series? The Body Blast leg workout is a good one--hope you enjoy good DOMs after doing it.

Cindy: did you get any snow or did it miss you?

Waves to Janie.

Michelle

Cooler and windy here in Virginia but really not a bad day. Toby and I had a great walk early this morning before the wind got blowing and have been out a couple of times for shorter walks. He really loves all the good sniffs that he gets this time of year. Did LIS Athletic Training Express timesaver: a good quick cardio workout with ab work. Toby is getting better with settling down and watching me exercise rather than trying to get in the middle of my workout. Pup is resting now but I'm about to wake him up and take him out with me to run some errands. I like having him with me as much as possible these days and he doesn't seem to mind.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday and getting their licks in.
Michelle

Brrrr! I opted against a hike yesterday and posted my London pictures. Also did my Sunday climb with the indoor gang, and pulled out an impulse-buy dvd from Jillian afterwards, killer arms and back, because it was 30 mins and my arms were already tired. The basic level was perfect. Btw, Climbing was especially good. I am doing harder but fewer routes on Sundays now. There was a neat surprise - the gym put in a route with an overhead ceiling section geared to intermediates! Usually it is just super advanced and there is no way for the rest of us to learn.

The overhead roof section is scary. There is no other way to put it - primal fear kicks in, at least for newbies like me who have not attempted this style of climb. You are horizontal, with gravity pulling you down backwards, like an upside down turtle. Here's how this new climb goes. It is a lead climb so automatically more complicated since you must clip your rope into the wall as you go, to stay safe. You climb up a medium wall, and then there is a roof above you. There are about five moves you have to execute completely horizontal as though it were your kitchen ceiling only two stories up, and once you get through climbing across the ceiling, you go over the edge up a vertical wall. There is so much core and precision with body tension, and arm strength! I managed the ceiling twice except that I could not get myself repositioned to clip the safety rope in properly so as continue further. I tried until my arms were exhausted! Part of that was adrenalin exhaustion, part pure physicality. And, another scary part, although the fall is very safe, it still involves falling back first not feet first until the rope kicks in, and a swing. That is a style of fall I had not had an opportunity to practice, so it was scary-valuable. I took it four times while trying to figure it out. There will be another day :) And it was fun despite the fact of fear. This will be a favorite climb once I can do it, and it is already teaching me so much about body position. And not letting fear get in the way of what you want ...

Michelle, Toby must be in heaven with all the time he spends with you, and he is learning so much! Haven't been to Parris island ... Tampa sounds good if the weather cooperates .... And yes, DOMs aplenty. Everything is sore today! Still, may try Meaner Legs this am ....

Cindy, Laura, Jamie, waves and hopefully Thankgiving prep is going well.

Ps. Edited to update, Meaner Legs done! Subbed in firewalkers for sitnstand since sitnstand hurts my knees.

Last edited:
Had a busy weekend and I got a lot done but no official exercise. Last night I did one of Cathe's live Crossfire Express classes - I was dripping sweat :) Tonight I'll do X10 and tomorrow morning I'll try her PHAT live class that I haven't done yet. I'm taking tomorrow off so I can pack and finish the prep work for Thanksgiving. We are meeting up with Dave's family in the Paradise Valley - one of my favorite places - and renting a Lodge near my SIL's house. We will have some river time, hotsprings time, and lots of fun with family. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving ladies, I am thankful to have such great examples of fit and strong women in my life :)

Janie - Keep up those great workouts!

Michelle - Toby is a great companion :) We did not get the snow that hit the area- we were bummed too! Still getting well above freezing every day and I'm hopefully winter will show up soon. I really like PiYo, it's a sweat fest even though it seems like it should be easy :)

ShadowPup - That climb sounds very intense and like a great way to face some fears while learning even more from your body. I agree, this year is flying by and it will be 2017 before we know it!

Cindy

Hi all,

Shorter day at work and only a half day tomorrow and Friday, woo hoo! I invested some of the extra time in 90 minutes at the climbing gym, bouldering since no partners are required for that, and practiced mostly movement drills, laps, and polishing easier climbs. It would be great to add that kind of thing in every week ...

Cindy, what a nice time you have planned! Not to mention all those Live classes. A great approach to Thanksgiving week all 'round.

Waves to all,
Deb

Looks like I am up a pound in the aftermath of Spain, London, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. It has been worse!!!! But it is time to inch the scale down again.

Yesterday, an hour of bouldering at the gym - working movement patterns and laps - and three miles of walking on local paths. So far today, xtrain shortcuts time saver. Hoping for a hike; depending on the weather. Tomorrow, climbing gym with the gang - hoping to work hard/harder routes. It is probably too soon for the movement drills and endurance work to take effect yet.

Waves to all,
Deb

Oh dear, I did it again. I'm exercising, but forgetting to post it. You all are so good really. I ate everything in sight at Thanksgiving. So getting back to exercising will be great.

Shadowpup, I'm amazed of all the places you go to. Wow! And the rock climbing rocks! Pun intended. LOL! Keep doing what you love.

Michelle, You my dear friend, just keeps things together. I'm not sure if I could. You are amazing! Give Toby a hug for me.

Cindy, Doesn't feel good when we work out and the sweat just comes pouring down? I know then, that the workout was well done. LOL! Continue to do those amazing workouts like you do. That is awesome! How was the lodge. Sounds wonderful.

Sounds like everyone made it through the Holiday. I'm still full. LOL!

Take care everyone,

Janie

Thanksgiving was a fairly quiet day. Toby and I went to the cemetery to visit Joe's grave first thing in the morning after our walk. Then I had breakfast at Bob Evan's, came home and raked some leaves, then did GS Chest and Triceps timesaver. Joe's son and his wife came to visit in the afternoon. I didn't do a big turkey dinner, just had honey-baked ham and the normal sides. My neighbor's daughter made me a pumpkin pie which was delicious. I'm glad this first holiday is behind me. Did X10 cardio blast today. Still not back to 100 percent on my right hamstring but good enough to get through this workout. Went to Mass tonight and cried through half the service. It will get better some day. Tomorrow I take Toby to stay at Golden Dome for the week--he will be with him doggy mom, brother, sister, half-brother, and 14 other golden retrievers. It is going to be extremely hard to leave him there and come back home to an empty house for one night before heading to Parris Island on Monday. Not looking forward to that at all, but it is one of those things I just have to pull up my big girl panties and do.

Shadowpup: you are doing pretty good if you are only up one pound after your travels this fall. You can get rid of one extra pound in no time. XTRAIN is a great series--love those shortcut timesavers.

Janie: as long as you are exercising don't worry if you forget to post. Most important is that you get the workouts done.

Cindy: I have to ask: did you do ALL of X10 or one of the shorter workouts? X10 is one of the dvds I reach for when I need a good under 30 minute workout. I've never been able to do more than 3 of the X10 workouts at one time. Crossfire timesavers are great calorie burners too. Loved your family Thanksgiving pictures on FB.

Michelle

Tomorrow Will do ICE again. Sure like this series.

Michelle, Glad you are visiting Joe. Tell him hi for me and know I'm saying prayers for the both of you. Great job on GS Chest and Triceps timesaver. Family is always nice to have around . Nice your neighbor made you pumpkin pie. Yum! You made it through, bless your heart. Great job on X10 cardio blast today. I hope it does get better for you. My heart is with you my dear friend. Parris Island sounds nice. But, I don't know where that is. You are going to be OK. I'll be thinking of you. Hope that will help in some small way.

I know you are going through emotions that I can't even begin to know. Just know I love you and am thinking about you.

Take care,

Janie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.