Daughter! Help!

Lori, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I completely agree with Nan's post--consistency and tough love sound like the key to this problem.
Now, a completely unrelated question that I have wanted to ask you for years. I know you live in Canada--do you speak French? I ask because when you use the word "has", you write "as". I'm just wondering if it's because you're conjugating "avoir" and it's natural for you to leave the h off (J'ai, tu as, etc.)
I've been meaning to ask this question for ages! :)

Wendy

Lori, I also completely agree with Nan's post. My DD is almost 9 and we've already been dealing with undesirable behavior. She went through a phase where she would yell and slam her door shut so we simply took the door off the hinges and she no longer had a door. She changed her tune real quick...I can imagine that in similar circumstances it would be an even bigger deal for a teenager. DD is not allowed to have a television or computer in her room, there is absolutely no need for it. At times her room has been so messy and she wouldn't clean it up so I 'cleaned' it up for her and took everything that was left on the floor away. She was quite upset with that. Now, however, as long as it's just messy and not actually dirty, I am learning to let go of it and shut the door.

I think you have to pick and choose your battles. Some things (like a messy room) really aren't that big a deal...it matters more to our vanity and sense of cleanliness than theirs, but they are the ones that have to live in it. Like I said, as long as it's just messy and not actually dirty (no food in the room!), then just shut the door and let that be one less thing for you to stress over with your daughter. Other things, like disrespect or problems with the baby need to be dealt with promptly, though.

First of all. You are not a bad parent, and teen girls are....difficult, got one, she will be 15 in April. One of her friends used to go to this psychologist around your daughter's age. She was having some difficulty at school, and I think with her parents. She called her the teen coach. This friend told me that at first she did not want to go, but talking with her coach helped her alot. It made her see her parent's side as well as her, and they devised contracts with her parents, and appropriate consequences for doing things or not doing things. This friend is now a freshman with my daughter and doing quite well in school and at home. You may start with your daughter's doctor and see if there is someone like this that you and your daughter and your husband can meet with. I know some session were everyone, some just the girl. At 12, she is not getting into too bad of things with friends(you hope although there are kids that age doing drugs and having sex, probably not yours),but you want to get a better communication going because high school can be hard, and friends will be more important.

Hi Lori-

IMO, sounds like DD may be a wee bit jealous of DS even though she does truly love him – a common occurrence. I have 2 DD’s and 1 DS. My girls are now 18 and 17 and DS is 15 and they all change up a year this summer. They have all done their own laundry since they could sort darks and whites, measure soap and reach the dial of the machines. They’re also responsible for picking up their own clutter – we made it sort of into a “team” thing since the parents worked at a job and their school day was their job. With girls though, I think sometimes with body/hormone changes, they need their mom sometimes to not be the “boss” and be just their friend. Girls that age can be stressed about things we think are trivial, but still they need someone to validate/listen to the issue(s) and help them move on. I used to (and still do) try to find the time to have just some “girl” time where we could just go hang out and talk about things and have fun. It seemed to work great in adjusting attitudes. Actually, I do this with my DS as well and it works beautifully. However, I do believe in and have used some of the tough love methods mentioned here but from my experience when my kids were that age and had issues that obviously showed in their attitudes, I found talking/listening about the issues and making agreements on house rules worked best for all of us. I have to laugh at the person that posted about the door coming off the hinges; my DH took my DD’s door off the hinges once when she told him she hated him and slammed the door. He simply took the door off and put in the garage for several days which gave time to consider the meaning of respecting others. It was the daughter that is most introverted as well and she absolutely hated to have her door off the hinges while everyone at Thanksgiving could peer into her room and see her every move. Nowadays we all can laugh at the time Marcy’s door came off the hinges, but she never again did that to her dad. Anyway, I’m sure you’re a great mom, but I just wanted to comment on my own experience and what worked for me with my girls when they went through this age and its challenges. Good luck Lori.

Thomasina

Thanks everyone for your responses! Its nice to know that my parenting skills are right and that Im doing the best I can.
And yes, girls this age can be very trying. Everything right now is hormonal and thats the way it is going to be for a long time!
Prehaps I should start setting a date night with her. Just me and her, and we can do girl things. Maybe even get a manicure or go out for supper. Thats one of the things I should put on her list. Yesterday when I gave her her list of chores, I also made note of a reward at the end of the month. Last yr when I was pregnant, I tried to do things with her. How many times did I ask her to go to a movie with me but she just wanted to go with her friends. Now that my free time is a little less with work and the baby, she may want to spend some alone time with me. And who knows, prehaps she will have more respect for everyone if we are on a friendlier basis?
She doesn't slam her bedroom door yet but stomps up the stairs the best she can. She also not afraid of a good argument either, and you can only imagine at this age how much sense she is actually making! LOL

Yesterday when I went home I wasn't allowed to go into her room. I was home for about an hour before I was allowed in. Then she had the big grand opening. Her and her cousin, had cleaned the room from top to bottom,rearranged her closet and drawers and even put laundry in the washer. Grant it, I had to wash the clothes twice b/c there was still laundry detergent on it (she may have used 10 scoops) but the effort is all that matters!

Thanks again everyone!

Lori:)

Lori, right there shows that she is a good kid and she loves you. My daughter and I actually take extended weekends together and leave the guys at home. We have flown to Charlotte to visit friends,driven to Oklahoma, driven to Chicago multiple times. It is fun, and you start to see your daughter as more of the woman she will become.

I have to say, that after I spoke with her yesterday she seemed to be trying. I know it hasn't even been 24 hours but she has to start sometime right?
I think part of our problem is that she already sees me as the friend and not the mother b/c I am so young.
I shouldn't blame everything on her b/c I am sure there are ways that I can go about things that would make everything easier. She says I am always contray but there is usually a reason for that:+ b/c I have to pick up after people who are capable of taking care of themselves! LOL Soo...prehaps my attitude should be a little friendlier as well.

Oh yes! She started her period before her 11th b-day. She didn't turn 11 till March and she started in Nov! Talk about early!

Lori, I love the idea of a date night for the two of you. I think it is something that will really take you in the right direction. It will give you two an opportunity to spend more one-on-one time together and it will also make you available to her when she feels she needs to talk. Hopefully a little more of that will lead to a little less of the other.

You see, you probably have a lot in common,which can make things rocky. I have this wicked sense of humor, and at first I found I had to be careful or tears could flow. Now DD is snarky as well, and we have some good laughs together. Still we don't lose the who is the parent who is the kid relationship. My DD is an OK kid, and I do remember around age 12 being very worried about her, I think she has gotten somewhat easier. The other night she had a stay over at a friends house. She called me the next morning(fairly early so I knew something was up). She says "um, what would you say if I did a piercing last night". Red alarms in my mind!!! Well she had added another piercing on her ear, she already has one.

When she got home we talked. I explained my issue was not with the piercing, I would have taken her to get it done if she had asked, but the issue was she was not old enough to do this on her own, without asking first. I made it clear to her that this type of thing is still under my jurisdiction. She said if she did the other ear, she would not have her friends do it(thank goodness), and she knows if there is any hint of infection, it comes out.

So each thing that comes up can be treated like a learning experience. We talked about impulsive decisions made on a whim, and how this was like that, not life threatening, but down the road, others could be, and how she really has to think.

So I think you can somewhat be a friend, and have a good relationship, but you also have to be the parent. One of the hardest things when my daughter was 12 was learning to listen to her. We always expect them to listen to us, but we tend to be angry and not let them talk and truly listen to them.

I agree with Jill! I don't have kids, but I teach in a middle school, and know firsthand how desperate and destructive kids' attention-seeking behaviors can be. When that need for attention is being met, behaviors truly can change. What a great idea.

I'm curious on something...Lori, you said something about maybe she sees you more as a friend instead of mother because you're so young. So, your daughter is from both you and your husband together, and your baby son is too? Just wondering if there is any kind of 'step' mother/father/daughter thing going on, it changes the dynamics of things....

I agree with Lisa - if there is a "step" situation it does seem to change things. I have a 16 DD who has no contact with her dad and I have a 4 DS with my husband now. It is a delicate balance between us all, and we seem to be doing very well. Maybe the next time your DD is watching a movie in the play room - you can all sit down and watch the movie together. If it is not an appropriate movie for your DS then you should all pick one out you all agree on. Like today they picked out Sword in the Stone to watch together and they had a grand time. Sometimes it does not all go well, but we try. Just keep the lines of communication open and I wish you the best of luck, you are not alone in this situation.

can I give my 2 cents.

I remember being 12 years old and I didn't keep the cleanest room (and yes, my parents left my door closed, and as long as I cleaned it once a month and the door stayed shut they were fine...okay they didn't like it all that much but that was the least of their problems with me)
Suggestion-Just make her set a day to pick it up once a month and keep the door closed the rest of the time. As long as it doesn't smell it okay.

Second, attitude. Part of it is hormones, part of it is finding out who she is (which she is probably struggling with). You said you have a new baby, but I didn't hear alot of your responses from others about spending time with just one parent without the baby.
Suggestion- As long as she is not disrespectful, let it go. Its not worth yelling at her all the time because eventually she will just stop listening. (which it sounds like that has already happened).

Also, she needs some 1-on-1 time with each parent without the baby being involved. A walk, a trip to the grocery store, taking the car to go put gas in it, anything that will focus the attention onto her. Even asking about her day when she gets home from school for a start will help. Give this lots of time and don't forget the hugs. Hug her each and every day and tell her how much you mean to her. (Don't tell her why you are doing this, just do it for two weeks and see what changes occur).

I do agree, kids need boundaries and responsiblities, but she still is just a child. Set a stardard that she can accomplish- obviously money doesn't mean anything to her, unless she gets to go out and spend it. Maybe you can put a calendar together just for her and when she does something you want, a star gets put on and when she gets 30 stars it means she gets an outing out with one parent and the choose of activity. Make it fun and entertaining so its not so much a chore, its taking care of herself and her surrounding that you work so hard to provide for her.

It sounds like she just wants a little more of your attention, by no means are you a bad parent. Just juggling the perils of parenthood.
Good luck and don't forget those HUGS.
Kel

RE: can I give my 2 cents.

No she isn't our child together BUT we have been together since she was just 18 monthes old. She doesn't remember anything else and calls him Dad, so Im not so sure that this is the problem. I just think she is being a typical 12 yr old.
We don't really get a chance to spend time with either one of them alone. Of course, I am here with him throughout the day and there are places he as to go with me b/c I can't leave him home alone:+ but I do ask DD to do certain things and most times, she doesn't want to do them.

She as been doing really good the last 2 days, I have to say. I have a gc from my boss for a spa and I told her that maybe we could go together and get something done. Her eyes lit up, I could tell she was excited even though she didn't say much. Then just before she went to bed, she brought her list of chores over to me for me to check them off.
In this process I have learned a few things about myself that I could change as well, and I think if we all play our part, things will get a lot better and more communication will happen.

Thanks again!

Yep, I agree with the "mommy and me" dates and consistency.

12 is a tough time - not a baby anymore and wanting to assert some indepenence, but still afraid of growing up.

I an so enjoying my 8 year old DD right now. If she's anything like me (and she is) I'm in for a long and bumpy ride when she's an adolescent.

Hi, Lori,

After I read your thread, I realized that I am not the only parent that had to struggle similar problem.

With me, I have 10 yr DD. I met my now DH when she was 4 yr old. 3 yr ago, I have my son. She is typical child, out going, happy. But recently, about a month ago, she acted very badly. Nothing seemed can motivate her. She could not keep her promise to finish her homework, to do things she promised to do. She would not care much that I would take her cell phone, or even stop her training (She is competitive figure skater). I was so desperated to the point that I could not take it no more. I was never happy as soon as I saw her because there would be something happened when she was there and that result would be bad enough to make me upset or mad. I even started yelling at everybody in my household because of her. I took her to see licensed social worker in pediatric psychological clinic. More than a month past by, nothing happened. Her behaviors seemed getting worse. Finally, I told her clinic social worker that I need to sit down and talk to her to come out at least what I should do can change the situation. I had her bio-dad came with me. She told me that in all occasions my DD told her that she loves us. She said her behaviors are normal teenager although she just turned 10 in this past Dec. She told us no matter what happened, we should keep ourselves calm and try to let her know that no matter what, we still love her. I think at this age, kids are thirsty for attentions and independent in the same time. They don't know how to express it or how to channel it out. She told us that kids just testing us to see how far they can go we still love them. She told me that she knew it is hard for us - as parents. She could not tell me exactly what to act. But we need to find it out while bared the principal in mind that showing her we love her. We should not close the communication channel.

Then I sat down to talk to her coach. Her coach also said that my DD complainted to her that I love my son more than her. I told her coach that is so not true. Because of her training, I spent most of time with her instead of my son. Any skater moms would know that we had to get up early in the AM, driving skaters everywhere to find the rinks that offer freestyple practice time. And the training is no stop - all year round. On top of that, the expenses associated with that, private lessons, equipement, ice time, competition fees and traveling... you name it. I thought with all the money we spent on her sport (I totaled up last year all her skating related expense was over $30K) she would be appreciated of all my hard work and the money we put on for her. But she still told her coach that I love my son more than her. Her coach told me that it was normal of her reaction. She told me my DD sometimes did not even need the solution of her problem. She gave me example. One day she was not very upbeat on ice for her private lesson. Her coach asked her why. She said nothing. Her coach went ahead and gave her a big hug and said she understood that she worked hard and had a little sore. But she believed that my DD was a good skater and hard worker. She told me that my DD turned around and happy working on ice like nothing happened. Later on, her coach went with her to her ballet class and told her ballet teacher that my DD was a little bit tired. Please be patient to her. Her ballet teacher kept praising her whenever she did something good. My DD does not like ballet. But that class she was doing so well. So the conclusion her coach told me that giving my DD hugs and show her no matter what she did we still love her would do more than anything.

I started to change my strategy after these two meetings. Like others' post, I tried to let go something not important, like her messy room. I would try to keep her room door shut. That way at least it won't aggrevate me. I also tried to do mother and daughter date once a month. I realized though I spent most of my time with her, those periods were more full up with tasks. Like we had to get up early and rush to rink or checking her homework. It is more tasks oriented for her than the normal mother and daughter relationship - easy and just pure enjoy our time together. I am very independent person, even when I was very young. I expected that from her. But it seemed not working very well. So when situation happens (like she did not pick up things she promised to do), I would take a deep breath and not changing to harsh ton to talk to her. I told myself I should not lead by her attitude. Instead I should use my calm words to calm her down. It seems work. We had a relative calm two weeks so far.

But of course, for things she really did wrong, I would not let it go. I would tell her in a shot statement that she was wrong and I was hurt by what she did or said. Then I left. I leave it like that. I did not do like before trying to talk to her to make her appology. It supprised to me that after she calmed herself, she would geniunely came to me or anyone she offened and said sorry.

I can not give you any fault proved solution. I am looking for it for myself, too. But from my experience, I think they are in a desperate need of mother's attension. However they don't know how to express it in a mature and nice way. Their age also put them in the period that they had to struggle many things that unknow to them. They want to be independent, but they don't equipe enough knowlege to do that. This leads to they would do something so stupid even their original motivation was good. And one last thing, they are testing how much we love them and our patient. Right now, for me, I would do anything to keep my DD not falling in the wrong track. I want to see my DD one day can grow into a normal human being that is good to herself and society.

Sorry for my long babaling...

WantFit

"Become the change you want to see in the world. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.