Showering right after workout.

lcsavik_85

Cathlete
I did search for this btw. lol
Ok..My sister said that if you shower right after a workout, you undo all your hard work. She says it stops the increase in metabolism and relaxes your muscles so you might as well of not worked out. She says to wait an hour. Is this true?

Thank you,
~Reece Out~

I have no idea if there is any truth to that.

Personally I like to shower after my workouts. I tend to breakout (especially on my chest/back) if I don't.

i'm the same as dana on this one. i usually wait a little bit though, but usually only because i'm just beat after my workout and it feels good to just sit for a little bit.
maddie

There is simply no truth to that statement. Water on your body has no effect on your metabolism. Additionally, taking a warm shower after weight training will help alleviate DOMS. Where, by the way, did she find such absurb information?

Gosh I hope that's not true! There's no way I could wait an hour after working out to take a shower - I have to get ready for work! LOL!

I'm no expert, but my gut instinct is saying this theory is ridiculous. It just doesn't make any sense. If relaxing your muscles in a shower after working out "undoes" all your hard work, then wouldn't relaxing your muscles from post-workout stretching have the same effect? And you HAVE to stretch after working out. Perhaps there is a miniscule effect from taking a shower, but I find it highly unlikely that taking a shower after a workout is like not having worked out in the first place.

I have never heard this theory before, by the way, and I like to think I keep pretty current on health and fitness topics. I was studying to get my ACE Personal Trainer certification (and due to lack of time, it lost priority), but I'll check my ACE reference materials when I get home from work today and see if there's any mention of this.

Reece, that absolutely sounds ridiculous! LOL! Personally, if I shower immediately after a workout, I'll still continue to sweat & might as well have not showered. Yuck! x(

Marla:p

Wow. Tha's a new one. I work at a fitness center and they all shower after work out. If it's needed you do it.

Also, it's great to have a steam or sauna after work out to relax the muscles.

When I do massage I say workout, take a shower, then see me, then do a steam or sauna and shower, all done.

Feels great.

Please, do shower after your work out. Others will thank you for it. LOL

~~TyTbody~~
Working towards Perpetual Motion

LOL!! No offense to your sister, but this sounds like it came from the same 7th grade urban legend that says you can get pregnant by swimming in the same swimming pool with a boy. :+ :+

Along the lines of what tytbody wrote, I believe the warm water relaxing the muscles is a good thing. After all, we usually stretch our muscles out after a workout to relax them.

Please shower as soon as you can after a workout! One of my running friends had a yeast type infection, and her doctor told her it could be aggravated by not showering immediately after running. Her doctor said staying in sweaty icky workout clothes (and underwear) would only make the problem worse. You need to shower and change into clean clothes right away.

HTH

Jenn

LOL! That's about the funniest darned thing I've ever heard!

OK I shower right after I work out all the time & it has not affected my weight loss or strength building.

i hope that's not true.. i've never heard or read it... and i've done a LOT of research!

plus.. like others have said.. i couldn't wait an hour unless i wanted to get up at 3 or 3:30 in the morning.. cuz i workout.. download the date from my HRM and jump in the shower to get ready for work! and that's with me getting up at 4:30 to work out! i'm NOT getting up earlier than than! (well.. not on a normal day anyways!)

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

I generally shower right after I work out because I'm such a sweat bucket. But this time of year, even though I live in the south - I have to shower or I get *really* cold after a hard workout. Like chilled to the bone cold, generally about 30 minutes later. Does anyone else experience this? I wonder if it's because so much of my blood has traveled into the muscles...

I don't remember this happening before I discovered the joy of Cathe....

Joni

that happens to me too!! my skin just turns to ice, even in the middle of the workout. not sure why either, heh, kinda motivates me to keep on moving to warm my skin up. even though i feel hot from working out, my skin is cold, mostly just my back and belly.
maddie

this doesn't happen to me after a workout.. but it sure does after a bike ride! not so much now that it's warming up.. but all winter long... i'd come home and be freezing for hours afterwards! brrrrrrrrr

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

I know we are talking about your sister here so with all due respect, that has to be the nuttiest thing I have evr heard. How can you "tack on" all the calories you just burnt off by taking a shower. Does she shower in chocolate?:7 I'm just teasing!

I just read in this months Oxygen magazine (or was it last month) to shower ASAP to get the sweat off so it doesn't clog pores. That mag is the motherof all fitness mags and I doubt they would recommend it if it was even a little bit bad.

Maybe your sister is making an excuse for stinking for an hour....again...kidding...I think.

In absolute seriousness, I'd LOVE to hear the source. Can you ask her where she heard/read this?

Thank you for all the response and for confirming my own thought on this subject!
She had a trainer in the mid-ninties tell her that. From other comments she has said, that directly contradict things I've learned from this forum and Bodybuilding.com, I think he was full of a lot of other BS. Of course, I can't tell her otherwise. What could a teenager tell a 29 year old? ;-)

~Reece Out~

One of my
>running friends had a yeast type infection, and her doctor
>told her it could be aggravated by not showering immediately
>after running. Her doctor said staying in sweaty icky workout
>clothes (and underwear) would only make the problem worse.
>You need to shower and change into clean clothes right away.
>

Can you believe it, I once got jock itch!!! (it was during my P90X rotation, so I guess I was being very macha at that time!). I think part of the reason was that I was waiting around to long, in sweaty, icky clothes, before showering.

LOL, No showing will not slow down your motablism. Yes it relaxes muscles and that is a very very good thing, as well as getting rid of all the sweat that can cause some embarasing problems. You do want to try and wait until you stop pouring bullets before you hop into the shower, as that can just make you sweat more and need another shower.

I don't know who or where that myth came from that's one I haven't heard and I heard a lot of them from the *busy* women who thought they didn't have time to shower and used prefume instead. It sounds like something they would come up with to validate that they don't have time to wait a whole hour to shower then go to work.

Showering actually should havea better affect on your motablism as it relaxes the muscle so it makes it eaiser for the blood to get to place it needs and deliever the oxygen, so the motablism can do its thing and have a steady supply.

I can kind of see why this myth came about, as people sometimes think that motablism is directly related to how fast your heart beats and with a shower it would be able to slow down to normal, but your motablism isn't just in speed of the heart beat, it is a chemical reaction, that when you raise your hreart rate it speeds up and goes off a lot fast, because there is more stuff there quicker that it needs to make a reaction, but once you start that chemical reaction and your blood continues to flow in your body it takes quite a while to make it calm down and go back to normal. The only way you could slow this down would be to take drugs like narcotics, or sleeping pills or alcohol, or smoking. Stuff like that, where you actually put a chemical into your body to slow your whole system down and it even causes your nerve receptors to slow down or not to send things. So basically stoping the body from sending the chemicals needed in the chemical reaction.

So go take your shower after you workout, and don't be afraid it will harm your motablism, just stay way from any type of depressant.

Sorry for babbling I had to work threw this to see how the heck they got such a weird myth.

Kit

Thanx Kit!
I knew my sister was full of it. I hated waiting an hour and feeling grody. Now I'll just shower right after my post workout protein drink.
I love this forume. I can ask anything and have educated responses!

~Reece Out~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.