Your personal experience with cellulite

Calling all Catheites to tell me about your experience with cellulite and working out. While at the beach, my aunt was telling me she had talked to her doctor about what she could do to tone the sagging skin (under which there is a thin layer of fat) on her legs. He told her no exercise or diet would ever work and she'd need surgery. Since we share the same genetics, I guess I can look foward to the same.

I know cellulite is a form of fat that, due to its presence on the hips and thighs, is relatively more inert than fat on the abdomen and in the upper body. But, in your experience, has weight training improved the appearance of yours? I personally don't believe her doctor (although I think she would have been better off if she'd been exercising all her life), but maybe I am too hopeful?

I read that even the skiniest people have it, example: anorexic,:eek: when I read that I started to not worry about it ;) sorry not able to help you.

Hi,

I don't think my years of working out with Cathe and running have changed my cellulite one bit, and I'm not overweight, it's just a genetic gift. Bummer at swimsuit time.

}(

Board shorts are my friend.

Bella

ps. to add to what Norma said, I was at a waterslide amusement park recently where everyone runs around in bikinis and even the tiniest teenage girls sometimes had it. Fact o'life.

Hi,

I had terrible cellulite on my legs to the point that I didn't want to wear shorts ever. I've worked out consistantly for about 2 years and the cellulite has improved tremendously. I think doing the leg workouts has helped me and of course losing weight. Spinning also helped to tone down the cellulite. I have a double wammy in that I have thick calves so I really have to work at getting them to look at least normal. Anyway, it takes time but I believe you can get rid of alot of it with diet and exercise. In fact I'll never forget I was at the gym after a class and I was talking with a girl and she was telling me how she hates her cellulite and wanted to get rid of it and made the comment "you don't have any on your legs". That made the hard work all worth it, so there is hope. Take care!

Lisa:)

I have so much cellulite around my thighs it is disgusting. I don't believe that exercise and diet won't help tho. Working my legs is changing their appearance, but the cellulite is not "doing anything" yet. So I wear shorts and bathing suits that cover it and compliment my upper body. I'd love to wear something different, but I'm comfortable when I'm covered right where I want to be and know in my mind that I'm doing what I can to better myself regardless of what I look like right now. There's always hope! :D

Kali

www.PictureTrail.com/kkali

I used to have cellulite even when I was very slim, but at that time, I didn't use to exercise and I was a "skinny fat". I looked "good" but was very flabby and weak. Then, when I gained weight, I also gained more cellulite. It was becoming increasingly gross. Lately, I have lost a lot of fat and I am getting nicely toned. The cellulite has diminished a lot. While it was quite visible before, now I have to pinch the skin in my thighs in order to see it. Sometimes my legs look cellulitic but I think it is related to the sodium and water intake. In my case, I can see dramatic fluctuations in water retention, but it may be because I take lithium, which is a salt. When I see my legs fluff, I drink lots and lots of water. In a few hours, the thighs are smooth again. I believe that cellulite might not be totally removable, but it can be reduced.

Also, I believe that it is not the strength training per se that removes the cellulite. I think it is *lowering the body fat* what helps. I think that cardio plays an important role in reducing both body fat and cellulite. (Obviously, weight training should always be included in your program.)

I'm 23, and prone to cellulite. Yuck. But, spinning really helps me trim down that area and tighten it up. So I think there are some things you can do to diminish the look of it, but it will still be there. :)

I'm working right now to see if I can banish mine from my thighs. I've been doing searches on this site and posting a lot. I've worked out since I was in high school (a long, long time ago...) but have always had cellulite (fortunately not too much, and it can be covered by a decent pair of shorts), even though I'm in pretty good shape.

What I've found here is that you may see an improvement by 1)increasing cardio to burn more fat 2)drinking lots of water 3)maintaing a good lower body workout for overall fitness and strength in the legs.

Of course, a lot of the cellulite problem is genetic - I may or may not see an improvement with the changes I'm making. But at any rate, I know they can only help me!

I have none yet...but then again I am only 26, that may have something to do with it.
Sometimes you find yourself envying other ladies figures, thinking that they are perfect. I have a friend who is really tiny and she runs alot, but thats it.We run together and she has made comments about me not having any cellulite on my legs. I guess when I have to run in front of her(if we are passing people) she can see the backs of my legs. She stopped by the other day while I was sitting in the sun. Later she peeled off her skirt and sat in the sun with me and at some point she got up, the backs of her legs from her bum down to the back of her knee had cellulite. She has never mentioned it but now I know why she was noticing my legs. Thats when I realized I would rather have a toned "heavier" body then a tiny untoned body.
I think I may have went off track a bit....:)
I think weight training really helps with me NOT getting it (yet) I know that it is going to happen as I get older but I think as long as we keep squating and lunging....we should be safe for a little while.
Lori:)

I try not to beat myself up over cellulite anymore, though it's hard. Still, I take heart from all those photos of really skinny celebrities with cellulite. :) Plus, I have a dancer teacher who is in great shape--she dances professionally--and even she has cellulite on the back of her thighs, though she hides it with a tan. Also, my friend's baby (normal weight baby) was born with cellulite on her legs. Talk about genetic destiny!

So, lots of varied experiences. Hey, maybe your ability to alter the appearance of cellulite is just as inherited as the tendency toward cellulite itself? It sounds like cellulite is a tough nut to crack, which is what we've all known all along, but that consistent working out and eating right can either prevent you from getting more (of course) and diminish or improve the appearance of what you already have.

I guess I'll just have to keep working out consistently until I'm in my 50's and see if it worked to keep my legs from looking like my aunts! Any more responses would be great!

I agree with whoever said that keeping your legs/glutes strong (muscle tone) will help. In my experience, i've noticed that my weight wasn't really a factor in the amount of cellulite. What mattered, was how much leg work i was doing. When i weigh 120 and havne't been working out, i had more cellulite than when i weighed 135 and had been working out. So, my point is just keep your leg work consistent and frequent, it will help more than anything else!

good luck!

A lot of times you can't get rid of cellulite, but there are things you can do to make your legs look better. Like toning the muscles under it, so you don't have the saggy appearance. Like my mother for example she'll be 54 this year, her thighs still look better then a lot of 20 year olds. But she's a waitress and actually jog/runs 5 miles a day and walks another 5 on the slow days. On the busy days her total is 15 miles of runing food back and forth to people. So there are a lot of things you can do to make the apparance look better, it's just finding the right routine for you.

Kit

I've been working out regularly -- and hard -- for the last two years and my cellulite, which I've had since my teens, is still there. My legs have more muscle tone than they've ever had, but my cellulite is still there. It hasn't even diminished or improved in appearance. I could drink all the water in the world and lower my body fat so that people around me can complain even more about how "tiny" I am, and I know my cellulite would still hang around. So I'd believe your aunt's doctor.

Pinky

Started dealing w/ cellulite after kid #2 who is now 9. I used to be a size 3 before kids, but did not work out at the time so I had no "muscles". I used to call my self "skinny fat". I am just getting into working out w/ Cathe and am really looking to clean up my eating. I have been pulling up/reading posts on it. Every time I go for that "sugar loaded" snack, I think of toastythemosty's signature saying:

You can exercise till the cows come home. But if you don't eat right, you'll just be a cow coming home.

I don't want all of my hard work to go to waste because I couldn't say no to something. I know for a fact that I can't stop at just one either. Working out has really shown the most in my "gut" going down, butt lifting and legs looking tighter. Plus, how much stronger I feel. :)

Hi, my name is Shonie, and I have cellulite ;-)

I noticed it for the first time when I was about 16 or 17. I happened to be walking down a sidewalk and noticed my reflection in the window of a building. Oh my -- what WAS that on my legs? It just got worse throughout college (where, BTW, I got up to 130lbs...on a 5'1" frame and NONE of it was muscle). Most of my weight was butt and thighs and the cellulite was NOT good. But over the years I started working out and I gained some muscle and lost some fat. The cellulite is still there but it HAS improved tremendously. But the truth is that many women must get down to very low BF percentages to get rid of cellulite ... I'm talking much less than 17% or so.

I think anyone can reduce the appearance of cellulite by exercising, drinking plenty of water (it helps me too), reducing sodium, building muscle and lowering bodyfat. But eliminating it altogether typically requires extremes.

Some of it is related to your biology/genetics -- since I know some women who carry plenty of BF but have no cellulite. My understanding is that it has something to do with the thickness of your skin. Thin skin == cellulite. Thick skin = almost none. That's why a lot of men do not have it -- 'cause their skin is thicker (supposedly) -- well, and they just have lower BF percentages!

As for treatments -- I have tried lots of different lotions/potions/procedures. All of them are temporary. But -- FOR ME -- temporary is better than nothing! I use the Body Creator lotion from Shiseido (it feels good on the legs anyway regardless of whether it helps or not). I DO feel that it has helped. But, it's expensive. It's really the only lotion/potion I've used that seems to help. I've also tried endermologie. I also felt like it helped a bit -- but, again, it is expensive.

Tanning also helps (or maybe it's my imagination). One of the tan places around here had a motto -- "tan fat looks better than pale fat". I guess I kinda believe that too. The sunless tanners would work just as well.

That's my experience. Yes, it's annoying but I think it CAN be improved upon...but what are you willing to put into it?

Shonie

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=3655618&

FFD:

I do not have an "experience" with cellulite.

I have far more serious things to tworry about, like finally finding a medication regime that will allow to be myself again while suffering from depresssion so badly. I can't wait to be myself again, then I can actually start working out again. Who cares about my cellulite!?!?!?!

My personal opinion is that females will be genetically more or less predisposed to accummulation of cellulite, the appearance of legs can definitely be improved by weight lifting, it may be impossible to get rid of all cellulite, that eventually, we must all find inner peace by accepting physical "flaws" that remain even after we have done our utmost to become fit and healthy. To continue to wage a war against cellulite after that point is a recipe for misery.

I am sure that you, FFD, are fit and healthy. Perhaps, let it go?

Clare

I have cellulite on the back of my legs and its there no matter how many years I've exercised. It was there when I was really thin, just couldn't see it as good. But I don't want to be that thin again! I just exercise and try to eat as clean as possible. He!He! Not all the time.

kim

Clare,

I'm sorry to learn that you've been feeling depressed and are having trouble with a medication regimen that works. I'm also sorry to hear that its kept you from feeling up to working out. I wouldn't wish depression on my worse enemy, it can be the most confusing and difficult thing to experience. Such a paradox with exercise too - studies show that exercise staves off/lifts depression, but depression involves complete lack of motivation, so how can you get yourself to exercise?

I hope your doctor is busy trying new combinations or coming up with new ideas for how to help. And I'm not too concerned about my own cellulite, just interested in the "experience" of others :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.