Yoga's Classification

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

Pardon the ignorance, but what would Yoga's classification be? I have obviously heard of Yoga but have never done it. Is it considered strength training, cardio, stretch, relaxation? It seems to cover all of those areas, but is there a main classification it is considered?

The reason I ask is that I usually do strength training 4 times per week, cardio 6 times per week, and stretch/relax 1 time per week. Which of my workouts would Yoga swap out for? After watching the clip, I am thinking I could swap it in for my stretch/relax workout.

And what is the difference between Yoga and Pilates?

Thanks!

Yoga is always in the 'flexibility' training category. Sometimes it does include body weight strength training. Sometimes its called 'power yoga' which means that there is more of a cardiovascular element to it and that it might be more advanced. I get a lot of great results with it. If I'm only doing workouts 1x/day, I will do at least 1 advanced yoga session/week. If I'm working on losing weight (as I am now.) I do 3 sessions a week before bed rather than give up any of my cardio workouts. Its really great for weight loss because it helps relieve stress, anxiety, and depression, all of which cause weight gain. So, its not really a calorie burner but rather that it helps the calories that do come your way not to stick to your body;)

My favorite yoga instructors are Shiva Rae, Rodney Yee, and Sarah Kline over at yogatoday.com which is a pay to stream website. I don't work for them, its just my favorite. Cathe's Stretch Max DVD is probably the closest thing she has done to date that resembles yoga. I love that stretchy band workout as a cool down after a run. It helps prevent pain and knots from building up and interrupting my sleep.

btw, don't do yoga during ttotm. Inversions can cause a problem and you could pass out and really hurt yourself.

Alisha

Yoga is an ancient form of exercise that combines strength, flexibility, endurance, balance and concentration. For the strength aspect, you use your own body weight for resistance.

In a yoga workout session you do a series of yoga poses or postures. In some classes you may move smoothly from pose to pose in a flow of movement. In some classes you may hold each pose for a few seconds, then commence the next pose which will seem more static. Some classes combine flowing from pose to pose with longish holds of certain poses.

It may not be possible to strictly label a specific yoga pose as exclusively strength oriented versus flexibility / balance oriented. Many poses work synergestically on strength, balance and flexibility. Some poses on the other hand are very flexibility oriented.

Like in weight training when Cathe asks you to exhale on the exertion portion of the movement, yoga also focuses on matching breath to movement, but possibly more so. You learn to use your breath to help achieve a better "depth" in each pose.

You also learn to use your gaze (focus your eyes) in order to achieve balance or better range of movement.

There are many types of yoga classes. Some like Yoga Max could be designed to focus more on the strength and endurance building aspects. Some like Yoga Relax could have more flexibility focus.

What is popularly known as yoga is technically "hatha yoga" which is just one aspect of a holistic, ancient body of wisdom called yoga. Hatha yoga is the part of yoga that deals with fitness and wellness.

Thanks for both replies - very helpful. I can't wait to try it now. I will probably insert it for my stretching workout for now.

I didn't realize there were so many Yoga options!

You are right. Yoga could be categorized under any of those headings. But people would typically file it under flexibility.
I encourage you to try it. It truly works wonders with your body and mind. I love the calmness that I feel after doing it. Important - make sure you are not interrupted during your yoga. It is different from your other workouts. You need to go within yourself and truly be in the moment.
Thanks

I consider Yoga to be both flexibility and strength. Although I am not an avid yoga fan, rarely do it, my legs are always sore especially when they include a lot of warrior poses. I am hoping Cathe's yoga workouts make me a fan of this form of exercise. It's good for the body while being easy on the joints.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.