yoga DVD recommendations anyone?

workingToBeFit

Cathlete
Hi everyone and thanks in advance to anyone who has any recommendations. I would like to have more flexibility, especially in my hamstrings, which are always, always tight, and would like to try yoga. I would love to find about a 20-40 minute yoga routine to use on stretching days. I am not looking for strength gains from the yoga (I love Cathe's workouts for strength), just more flexibility and relaxation. I am a beginner at yoga, have taken a class or two but really not much at all so far. I have Cathe's stretching DVDs and love them both but am looking for something different to add in to my routines. Anyway does anyone have any recommendations for DVDs and/or instructors who they like for this?

~ Ann ~
Aim for nothing, and you'll hit it every time!

WOW i don't know where to start LOL. i have so many myself so its hard to pinpoint just one.

one i like is bodywisdommedia.com yoga complete for everybody. its segments of poses and flows blended in premixes for different length of time,purpose of practice(the leg practices are great after runs), and level of practice. there is even a stretch and relax series for TTOM!!

i just picked up yoga for urban living from the dollar tree. this is natural journey's release and its been out for awhile but its very basic postures, 2-30min workouts and one longer 60 min practices.

yoga shakti has a pick your own segment to make your own routine and it has everything from basic flows to more advanced so its really a dvd you can grow with. there are a few already set up practices but i get much more use from the yoga matrix to make my own.

another basic practice is total yoga earth and total yoga water practices. i found the whole box set at TJ Maxx and some have spotted them at ross real cheap.

and any sara ivanhoe is good too. i tried many of hers on netflix and beside the 2-20 min practices i have from her 20 min yoga makeover, i just love candle light yoga. its a very restorative and stretch practice and it really relaxes you.

might i suggest maybe getting netflix so you can try all these out. they have a very large selection of workouts in general but their yoga and pilates selection is just outstanding.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

http://jtjulian2003.tripod.com

YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING,WHERE WOULD YOU PUT IT??

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1307/4842454/16585805/255246443.jpg

Thank you so much! I do have netflix and I just got on there and put candlelight yoga at the top of my queue! Looks like there are a lot of good ones for me to try!

~ Ann ~

Ann-I like Rodney Yee's Power Yoga Total Body. And I'm NOT a yoga person at all! This is the ONLY yoga DVD that I bought and KEPT...all the others I gave away. But this one, I REALLY like!

Gayle

I love the workouts from spinervals called Flexible Warrior 1, 2, and 3. I have all of them and use them all the time. They are very athletic in nature and contain no new age banter. The first FW has 3 segements and I love the last one that is all about flexibility. Each are about 30 min. FW 2 has 4 sessions and this one might not be exactly what you are looking for. There is a core, balance, energy, and power segment that are about 20 min each. FW 3 has 3 sports specific (swim, bike, run) segments that are each 15 min long. I love these and think that they help with flexibility too. These are kind of pricey but are so worth it to me. I especially think that you might enjoy FW 1 the most.

Good luck.

Hi Ann,

I am not a Yoga devotee, but I have some of Karen Voight's Yoga workouts and I have to tell you, her cueing is so good - she says things like, "Pull your kneecaps up toward the ceiling, spread your toes and really feel the floor under you." It's like she can tell when I'm thinking, So now what do I do with my hand?

I have some others like Family Yoga with Yodney Yee (and his family) and I like him, but don't go for this as often. I also just got Kundalini Yoga with Gurumkh and I like it, but it's more of a workout than a simple stretch.

HTH,

Tricia

Well, its not technically yoga, but I absolutley love, adore, etc Classical Stretch. I feel like a well-rested Superwoman at the end.

There have been so many great suggestions today - thank you everyone who replied! I have been on line this afternoon looking all of these videos and instructors up. My Netflix queue is now filled with yoga DVDs now which led MDH to say, are we going to see any videos other than yoga this month? Ha ha :)

~ Ann ~

Hi,

Ana Brett Kundalini Yoga or Rodney Yee Yoga dvd's are great. For more info check out Amazon.com. Most of the Ana Brett w/o's for Kundalini Yoga have really great reviews.

>Hi,
>
>Ana Brett Kundalini Yoga or Rodney Yee Yoga dvd's are great.
>For more info check out Amazon.com. Most of the Ana Brett
>w/o's for Kundalini Yoga have really great reviews.

I have almost every Ana & Ravi yoga DVD out there (and I get their newsletter). They tend to be more on the "spiritual" side of yoga with the chants/mantras at the beginning etc... If you do not like that though, they have a matrix where you can completely customize your routine. I will not do any of the Ana & Ravi DVD's with my DH around though cuz' he laughs at me - they are a little "odd" (I don't mean that in a bad way though!) ;) . He does like Barbara Benaugh's (sp?) yoga dvd's though.

Let's see...

There is a new one called element Yoga for Beginners that is outstanding for the hips and hamstrings, and is just outstanding in general, but it is 50 min. long (a little longer than your desired 20-40 min.)

There's also an oldie-but-goodie, Flexibility Yoga with Patricia Walden. She has two workouts on one DVD, backbends and forward bends. The forward bending practice is about 40 minutes, and is really dedicated entirely to stretching out your lower body. You could cut out the "vinyasa flow" warm-up and just tag the lower-body stretches on as part of a cool down to another workout to make it shorter.

I just watched the preview of this elements video on collage and it looks like there is a lot of hip and hamstring - just what I need. Even though it's a bit longer I am going to try it.

So many great suggestions! And the amazing thing is how many of these I have found on Netflix. I had no idea Netflix had so much of this type of video and I am glad I found out as I can try a lot of DVDs out without forking out a lot of cash!

~ Ann ~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.