working out in the heat

katied

Cathlete
wow! did afterburn in a house with no a/c and the heat index today is 100F. i sweat so much that my feet were squeaking in my slide and glide discs and i had to search for dry spots on the floor. how is everybody doing with getting their workouts in in this heat?

I have no a/c either. When it's forecast to be that hot, I try to work out before 7:30 am with fans blowing all around me.
:cool:
Then a cold shower! :eek:

Me and heat do not mix, luckily it is out monsoon out here in Phoenix, so we are getting alot of wind. I work out in the afternoon with a fan or if it's really hot then the AC, got to have my AC :)

yes, water isa must and i am always staying hydrated. i do try to get my workout in early in the morning, but i also like to do the ashtanga primary series, and usually i do that first thing on waking at 5:30, have a smoothie, and then workout to cathe around 9:00 or 9:30. 9:30 today was already miserable, though-- soooo humid! hoping tomorrow is a little better, but it doesn't look too promising!:(

I am in California and have my workout area in half of my garage....therefore...no built in AC! It can get over 100 here. What I do when it is really hot is have tons of ice water available, a spray bottle of water that I spray myself with and then I also have a portable AC on wheels. Now, it is good, but it does not give off much air when it is blazing hot, but better than nothing.

So when I am lifting or whatever...I try to do it right in front of the AC air....but like I said, it is not that strong.

I can't do it, just can't do it. I am barely surviving the summer in MI. No A/C and no tolerance at all for anything over 85 degrees. I accepted that I would make no fitness gains this summer. My task is to survive it with my sanity intact.

I am weight lifting and powerwalking outside once the heat of the day is done, most often in the dark.

In September, I will again surge forth and build fitness. BUt for now, I know myself and what my body and sanity require: I am moving, keeping going, but at a much lesser intensity for now. I'm just keeping it all ticking over.....

Clare

I can't do it, either. My workout room does have a window A/C unit in it, or I wouldn't be able to work out. I jokingly posted once that I'm the only person on my street running their A/C in the winter, but there are times that I have to have it on even in the winter! Even with the A/C going full tilt, there are times I have to stop during a workout & cool down, because I feel like I'm going to pass out. Having hot flashes during a workout doesn't help...:p:rolleyes: I truly admire you gals that are able to push on through this awful heat! It has been so hot & humid here in Ohio that it's hard to breathe when outside.

Wow! I cannot fathom doing Cathe workouts with no A/C! It's been 100+ most of July in St. Louis, and even with the A/C *and* a fan, I feel completely sapped. I should have waited to do the TTM and CF rotation until the heat breaks, actually. I don't feel I've gotten their full benefit because I'm struggling so much.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.