Why is the music out of sync with the exercises?

I noticed it especially in the warm-ups.

I thought the music added in after-the-fact precisely to have it be synched to the moves. Something that I find important especially for the rythmic warm-ups. :( I don't mind as much in weight work, IF the music chosen doesn't have a driving beat that is hard NOT to follow. Some jazz-type music, for example, works well as 'background' music to which it's possible to ignore any beat).

I agree, it is somewhat disappointing, since it seems like the series took a long time partly because of the music being composed for it, and because when I mentioned the out-of-synch looking Youtube previews, I was assured by SNM that the actual workouts WERE in synch.

With 20-20 hindsight, maybe it would have been better to do the warm-ups to music, and do the dubbing for the rest of the workouts.

Last edited:
I believe it was pointed out early on when filming and editing the series that the music in the workouts was not supposed to sync with the movements.
I recall that the music was added in later, and composed to synch to Cathe's pace, rather than having her follow the pace of the music. That lead me to believe that the music WOULD be synched with the moves.

It grows on you

I too noticed the different set-up with the music when I previewed several of the discs & when I did the first disc, I was thinking, the music is set up so different from other Cathe DVDs. But once you do several of the work-outs, you get accustomed to the music set-up & don't really notice the difference anymore. Now, I actually like how the music revs up/gets more intense with certain exercises. Like in no equipment abs, the music during the planks w/ legs pull-ins really fits how intense the exericise is getting...it almost seems like the music is matching what your muscles/abs are feeling. :)

I don't have STS but had planned to order it later, when I am more fit.

The music not being in sync during the warm up is not good in my opinion.

I have no problem with background music for the lifting parts ala P90X not having a down beat, but would expect the music to be on beat either during Mesocycle one or one and two.

The fact that Cathe counts out loud, I think would be very distracting if I was not on the same rep. For me, this breaks the deal. If we aren't supposed to be going at Cathe's pace, then why is she counting out loud?

The only time I find it annoying is during the warm up. Otherwise I ignore it, as I don't really look at the TV when I lift.

Haven't check it yet but is Plyo Legs on beat with the music? I hope so as that's more aerobic and I have a feeling I'll need a driving beat to keep me going.

The fact that Cathe counts out loud, I think would be very distracting if I was not on the same rep. For me, this breaks the deal. If we aren't supposed to be going at Cathe's pace, then why is she counting out loud?

In Meso 1, which is the only one I've done so far, Cathe only counts out the first few reps. She then goes on to talk about other things and leaves the counting up to the background exercisers for the most part.

When I saw the Youtube previews (or worse, the ones on Collage) it seemed like lots and lots of counting (and rather boring). The workouts themselves don't give me that impression.

(Since they did the workouts without music, I would imagine Cathe counts more to keep the others on her pace...though I never quite understood the "go at your own pace...but I'm counting out reps" thing).

(Since they did the workouts without music, I would imagine Cathe counts more to keep the others on her pace...though I never quite understood the "go at your own pace...but I'm counting out reps" thing).[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Thanks SNM for the reply. I appreciate you taking the time to explain why it's different than the other Cathe workouts.:)

I recall that the music was added in later, and composed to synch to Cathe's pace, rather than having her follow the pace of the music. That lead me to believe that the music WOULD be synched with the moves.

Isn't it funny about perceptions? I thought the reason why they were adding in music later was that they didn't want the moves to sync to the music to keep the movements safe.

Carrie

I am going to disagree with SNM on one point, I DO think STS is a party in a box. (Though I do agree that it is serious weight lifting!)

That said - I truly love the music in STS! SNM is right - I find the music very enjoyable. During the pushups I am working so hard that I can't hear the music, but other than that I listen to it and it motivates me. The music in Plyo Legs, especially, is some of my all-time favorite Cathe music!! I actually did one of the squat segments twice because I liked the music so much.

And I love the way the music changes during the rests/set-up time and then changes back once the exercises start. The music is sort of choreographed to the nature of the moves, which is probably why it's so kind of hard-rocky and intense during the Plyo Leg DVDs. Considering this music was added 'after the fact' - I am very impressed by the way it syncs to the movements. Also, adding the music after as opposed to before, makes the edits of the footage seamless.

In fact, it took me a long time to realize that some of the footage was being reused as the editing is just so smooth. My husband even mentioned liking the music as I was previewing Meso 3.

I think Cathe, Chris, NFL Films, SNM, and the musicians did an awesome job on STS. :)

I TOTALLY AGREE!

And actually, I didn't even notice the music wasn't in sync during the warmups, I'm too busy trying to move my body.

Yes, they all did an AWESOME JOB!!!

(Since they did the workouts without music, I would imagine Cathe counts more to keep the others on her pace...though I never quite understood the "go at your own pace...but I'm counting out reps" thing).

I'm a counter myself -- just counting the reps until I can put down that darned weight! :D

I'm a counter myself -- just counting the reps until I can put down that darned weight! :D

I'm a counter, too. :D Sometimes I count with Cathe and sometimes I'm counting up while she's going down or vice versa. In weight work, the music has never been anything but background noise to me. Sounds like that's a good thing.

Not moving to the beat doesn't bother me all that much for a couple of reasons:

1. After P90x and a couple of Slim Series workouts, I've gotten used to working off the beat.

2. The music is so bad in STS that I turn it off anyway and use my own.

I do remember SNM stating that the music was would be added later so that it can be matched to Cathe's lifting speed. While I do applaud the work that went into doing the music score, I personally don't feel that the music used in STS is good workout music. If I'm watching 49er highlights, the music is great, but to workout to...YUCK! Next time if SNM decides to go with orginal music, I hope they go with a company that knows how to make good upbeat music for fitness activities, not sports highlights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.