Where did you learn kickboxing form?

Mocha

Cathlete
I am curious about a good way to learn correct kickboxing form. The new videos will be my first introduction to any kind of kickboxing (other than a few drills in Boot Camp). Do I need a beginner's/ instructional video to prepare? Are there some good ones you would recommend? Thanks!

The first Kickboxing Video I ever did was Kathy Smith's; I got it from the library. It was okay, but I really liked Keli Roberts 10-Minute Solution's Kickbox Bootcamp as an introduction. It helped with my form. (I also love Michael Olajede's Killer Abs & Back.)

I got Cathe's Kick Max a few months ago and I just received KPC. She does an intro to the punches and kicks in Kick Max, which is really helpful. I've gotten a lot better with my form from doing one of these once a week.

I'm not sure how much beginner instruction that she'll be giving on the new workout, but it sure wouldn't hurt to use something with a lot of breakdown before attempting it.

Hope that helps! :)

Cathe does a good breakdown of kicks and punches at the beginning of KPC. I agree that Kathy Smith's KB workout is just okay too, but there's also good instruction at the beginning.

I started doing kickboxing at a karate studio and all the teachers were karate teachers, so that's how I learned my form.

I started with several KB/boxing workouts (I think Stephanie Steele's were my first), and then onto several workouts with instructors who have black belts. I found some instructors to be excellent at form training: Katalin Zamir (an excellent 1-hour form training video, but the workouts themselves not so good because she is often off beat with the music), and especially Aaron Lankford (who was the first instructor I felt who had excellent form training--he's a black belt--and a good workout).

I do highly recommend learning good technique with a good instructor before doing more advanced KB workouts. Kathy Smith's KB workout has good instruction. Powerstrike Millenium 3 has excellent form instruction, and builds up more gradually than other Powerstrike workouts (and one of the instructors is a black belt as well, while the other has excellent form). If you can find Katalin Zamir's instructional video, it's excellent.

Learning good form, and practicing it until it becomes automatic, makes doing advanced KB workouts more effective and safer.

Although I do not have this particular workout, I would recommend the powerstrike video #3. I have read that this workout is less intense than the first 2...but nothing matches the form and instruction that you would get from Ilaria and Patricia.

Even though I have been kickboxing for a few years, my form has noticeably improved just after doing the powerstrikes a few times because they are constantly giving you some major pointers.

Maybe someone else could chime in here that actually has this video. Again, from what I have read, it may be a good one to start with because it is of a slower pace and really puts an emphasis on form.

Hope this helps!

It sounds odd, but another good source is the Billy Blanks website. You can get a free 30 day trial - and he has mini videos showing each kick and punch. And he uses correct form. Some of his older videos are actually pretty fun, if you don't mind uneven counts and the constant 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (which after a while drives me batty!).

Oh the website is www.billyblanks.com

Another vote for powerstrike- I find Ilaria and Patricia awesome in the two I have- PSM1 & PSM2 & wouldn't ever part with these workouts.

Don't shoot me (does a side block & duck to avoid any punches coming my way! :p) But I personally like these two better than KPC, KM, or CTX Kickbox... don't get me wrong I love all those too but PS1&2 are my all time fav kickboxing workouts and the form is just unbeatable IMO. I am also a kickboxing junkie so keep that in mind! ;)

Thanks everyone!

You all have me interested in Powerstrike now. On collage, I did a search for Powerstrike, and only came up with one of them (not 2 or 3). Does collage not sell the others? Where did you get yours?

I am not sure they are still selling them, I thought I heard somewhere that they weren't but again not real sure why I think that... here is the info I found back in December when I went on the search for them & the great people here helped me find them! They are only on VHS however if you like kickboxing you will not be dissapointed in these. :)

We are now selling the Powerstrike and Forza workouts directly through our NY office.

Powerstrike with Ilaria #4 is the latest kickboxing workout produced and created by Ilaria Montagnani, it is easy to follow but it includes some advanced karate moves and it is an intense workout 1 hour long, the beginning includes an explanation of the techniques used in the routines.
FORZA Samurai Sword Training is a 60-minute full-body workout based on Japanese Samurai training. With a wooden sword (or a wood stick) you will safely learn the basic exercises and routines that condition the body and mind of a true warrior. At the beginning there’s a full explanation on how to hold and strike with the bokken sword.

FORZA Samurai Sword Training - $ 30 plus $3 S&H Total $ 33
POWERSTRIKE with Ilaria #4 - $ 27 plus $3 S&H Total $ 30

We also have available for sales the following items:
POWERSTRIKE #1 (only VHS) - $ 25 US Dollars plus S&H
POWERSTRIKE #2 (only VHS) - $ 25 US Dollars plus S&H
POWERSTRIKE #3 (DVD) - $ 27 US Dollars plus S&H

To place an order please send us an email, we will send you a confirmation back and we will ship once we receive the payment.
At the moment we only take checks and International Money Orders in US Dollar from our Canadian customers.

USA: One item add $ 3 to tape or DVD cost, 2 items add $ 6, 3 items add $ 7, 4 items add $ 8.
CANDA: One item add $ 4 to tape or DVD cost, 2 items add $ 8, 3/4 items add $ 12.

Please send a check to:
Powerstrike Inc.
100 West 72nd Street # 5G
New York, NY 10023
USA

Regards,
Ilaria Montagnani and the Powerstrike Team

I took ju jitsu for 3 years when I was in my 20s. The sensei was one tough dude & he didn't allow ANY room for error! For example, one thing he was constantly harping on was keeping our hands in guard position when you weren't punching. He'd walk around the class while we were doing drills & if someone dropped their arms even slightly he'd literally pop them in the face. Not too hard, but hard enough to make his point. :p

Anyway, for 3 years I studied & practiced pretty hard & learned proper form for punches & kicks. He used to bust my chops constantly b/c I have a heavy-weight leg routine so my kicks kind of, well, sucked! Muscles too tight to throw a good, fast, clean kick. He always teased me & told me if I ever got in a fight I shouldn't defend myself with kicks.

I learned from Billy Blanks and my Tae Kwon Do teacher years ago. I am glad I learned proper kicking techniques, you can really hurt your knees if you don't. I really like Billy's tapes for good instructions. You can find them at collagevideo.com I hope its okay to mention that web site, they sell Cathe there too.:)

I went to some kickboxing classes at my gym, my sister in law teaches, and she helped me with my form after class. I am sure any instructor would be willing to help that is if you have a class near you. Also I love Janis Saffell. She's not as hard as Cathe but she has great form. Watching her and trying to copy her form is also how I learned.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.