What weights should I start with?

MKEMom

Cathlete
I am new to Cathe workouts, but I have the three "beginner" dvd's and the cardio club step on their way right now. I'm really excited to get started! I was just wondering what dumbells I should have. I've been using the FIRM for awhile (not the new "pinks"), and I have dumbells ranging from 2 to 15lbs. I generally use 10 pound weights (20 total) for leg presses, squats, etc., and 12 to 15 lbs for lat rows. I've heard Cathe's videos are harder, which I'm really excited about, but it looks like the weightlifting is (sometimes) slower paced. Will I have to heavy up, or will I be good with what I've got? Thanks!

I'd say try with what you have already, and add heavier weights as your strength improves. IMO, it's safer to go a bit lighter than you think at first, then build up. I think a good rule of thumb is to choose a weight that you can lift with good form, but that is hard to lift for the last 2 reps. I'd guess that you could soon be wanting/needing at least a 20# set of dumbells.

I agree with Kathryn. Just, whenever you do a weight exercise for the first time, go lighter than you actually think you can go. You just might find that you were overestimating (in fact, about 50% of the time that's what I find). If it's too easy, go up in weight. It'll take a few workouts before you find just the right numbers.

My library ranges for 3 to 45 (I've never used that one...I think my mom is a mutant weight trainer, hahaha). :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.