What weight did everyone use as a beginner to Cathe?

UNLVCrjChick

Cathlete
Hello everyone,

I am very new to Cathe's weight workouts, and frankly, when I see her use 40 lb barbells in some of her exercises, I become very intimidated. I am just curious...in the new Body Blast series, should a beginner just use half the weight that Cathe uses? Does anyone here still do this? Would you recommend the Body Blast series for a beginner, more so than the Intensity or CTX series? I already have the CTX series but the Body Blast series looks like it would be more fun to me. Plus, I need more cardio than weights because I am presently over 200 lbs and I need to lose this fat! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sherry

RE: What weight did everyone use as a beginner to Cathe...

Sherry,

For me, no weight at all, and not every rep either. Power Hour was the first one I remember getting. 2-3 years ago. The lunges- whoa. I had to put all the weights down in the triceps section too. Couldn't even finish those with just the weight of my own arm! And my arm was not that heavy, either!

Very soon my strength improved, and now I can often lift as heavy as Cathe on many exercises. I know, though, that usually she is lifting light (for her) so I'm not fooling myself, Ha hah!

My recommendation to you: get another series, whether it's IS or Body Blast. Then rotate it with CTX. They are all more fun when rotated around. CTX will never lose its magic with me.

Persevere, and read all about fitness. Weights (strength training) are equally important as cardio, even when weight loss is the goal. Ease yourself into the lifestyle of your goal weight and fitness level (yes, a little extra cardio will accelerate the process but you can make yourself more susceptible to catching a cold, then it sets you back). With patience, you will gradually transform into a more energetic, smaller, stronger, brighter-eyed version of yourself! And, with more mental toughness and patience than you started with! All of which are virtues!

I lost weight doing Cathe's videos-- only 25 pounds, but I discovered that the process was MUCH more fun and MUCH less painful than I expected! I am still maintaining and about to start instructing step classes at my local YMCA starting 2004.

my fitness page:
http://www.geocities.com/ciaobella98765/Fitness.html

Check out "Donna's page" (from my page)

Enjoy your new hobby!

;) -Connie

Wow Connie,

I just went to your page and let me just say, you look fantastic! My lowest weight was 135 lbs, but that was before the Navy made me fat (endless carbs and not enough exercising after boot camp is what did it).

I keep watching all of the previews of the BB series, and Step Blast looks like so much fun, but the intensity blasts sure don't (I abhor the power 15s lol). I have Rhythmic step, cardio hits dvd, and the classics dvd as well, so I don't have a problem with Cathe's choreography. Before I started Cathe about 5 months ago, I was only using the FIRM, and that choreography seemed tough, what a joke huh? lol.

As soon as I start my new job on Monday and am there for at least 2 weeks, just enough time to get one paycheck, I will splurge on the BB series and a stability ball. I also have an elliptical machine so I will do that in conjunction with the series. In the meantime, I'm off to do Step Jam. Thanks for your response!

Sherry :D

Hey Sherry,

I, too, started with NO weight. I had been doing the Firm for about 2 years & still was TERRIFIED of how I would feel. And (Connie, great minds...) I also started with Power Hour.

I have been getting stronger & feeling better. I won't tell you my weight loss, because I loose & re-gain the same 10 lbs. But at least I'm having fun!

Good luck to you!

I started with 3 or 5 pounds. I got up to doing 20 pounds with the lat rows and 10 pounds with the biceps. I was leg pressing 360 pounds on the leg press machine. That was in November. I was in an accident at work, and couldn't exercise (could barely stay upright). Now that I am getting better, I want to build back up. I want to get to Cathe's weights in the workouts, and beyond!!

Don't let Cathe's weight level scare you. You need to remember that her workouts are advanced. Look at it as a goal. Good luck!!

Sherry, I think you'll be surprised how much weight is doable for squats and lunges and quickly too! Err on the side of caution as you begin. Add more if it's too easy. I started with 5, 8 and 10 and quickly bought some 3's! I like 45 on my barbell but go up or down according to how I feel. When I have lots of energy, I shoot for the weight that Cathe's uses but have to go light for triceps due to an injury. Play with it, you'll find what works for you and don't be intimidated, we are strong!

I am in agreement that Connie is "fabsolutely abulous"! What an inspiration! ONLY 25 pounds! You rock, girl! And you are too darn modest!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/coollook.gif Bobbi

Hi Sherry, my first Cathe weight training DVD was the Pure Strength series. My heaviest weights were 12-lb. dumbbells. 10 lbs. were my moderate weights, 8 and 5, my light ones. It took me 7 months to build up to where I am. The heaviest weight I use for upper body is a 55-lb. barbell for back exercises, and a 45-lb. barbell for lower body. I do lower my weights when I'm doing muscle endurance training by as much as half (when doing Power Hour).

Figuring out how much weight I can use in a new workout is always an experiment the first couple of sessions. Try your workouts using light or moderate weights and see how you feel while and after you're doing the exercises. You can always go heavier next time. As a personal preference, I always go light/moderate before I add weight because if I go heavy first I have this tendency to burn myself out too soon.

Good luck,
Pinky

even now, whenever i do a Cathe workout for the first time, i go with half the poundage. i want to make sure i get through the whole workout, and that i keep proper form. it also gives me a good idea of where i can increase the poundage for the next time through.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.