what to substitute for chest flies

psusoccer17

Cathlete
I cannot do chest flies without pain in my bicep area. I am sure it is from a shoulder issue. I can do chest presses and pushups without pain. Any suggestions for a chest fly substitute?
katie

I cannot do chest flies without pain in my bicep area. I am sure it is from a shoulder issue. I can do chest presses and pushups without pain. Any suggestions for a chest fly substitute?
katie

Decline and Incline push up is a great when performed with good form. By good form I mean keeping elbows close to the body.
I always feel my chest within second and not much when I do chest fly.

On a side note, I can not do chest fly in full ROM at the moment. Due to shoulder tendonitis:):)
Hope this help.

Decline hit more Lower chest and Incline hit more upper. I have posted a declined push up variation in one of my previous
post. I can search on here in the forum. I could not remember any other variation sorry ;)HTH:)

These are fun, tough and very effective. As in a chest fly though, really keep in mind not to send your elbows back too far.
If you shoulder is in pain, I'd personally suggest no exercise like this for a bit. Find out what's going on (the shoulder is complicated in my experience) and take it from there with your physical or occupational therapist.
Just on the topic/discussion of traditional chest flys, a few personal trainers I have come across lately and a relative who is now a kinesiologist do not even include them in their regimens. They are an injury prone move (especially when going for higher reps where we are naturally inclined to begin "swinging" dumbbells if you know what I mean). Rather, in a gym atmosphere, they show clients chest exercises using the cable machine (cable crossovers etc.). And of course, barbell chest presses are good.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/bodyweight-flyes

Take care. You take care of your shoulder too, Nathalie.

Thanks Elsie. @~Elsie

Here below is the clip I posted previously. Incline bench press is another substitution.
For the box does not need to be as high as the one illustrated on the video below.

Decline hit more Lower chest and Incline hit more upper.

Just to clarify. Decline Bench press hit the lower chest --- Seratus anterior better.
Please do not do this without a proper bench with ankle pad to lock your feet. For safety reasons.
Both Decline and incline push up the upper body. At least I have tried both and felt them in those specific part.

As to the clip claiming to hit the lower body, It may work depending on the angle of the declination keeping elbows close to the body. Your triceps will come to play assisting the up down travel Lol :D
if you keep both arms further apart than shoulder width, you will feel the burn on the upper.
Play with all those variation and see how you feel. Please Let us know, I am sure you will survive to tell us;):)

Thanks everyone, I have been doing both the incline and decline push-up variations. I was curious if there were other exercises, sometimes all the push ups get exhausting!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.