What size stability ball??

DeborahG

Cathlete
Hey everyone. I didn't realize (until I just looked) that Cathe's stability balls come in three sizes, 55, 65, and 75. Does anyone know which would be best for a 5'4" gal like myself? Thanks in advance for any input.

Have a great day!
Deborah

I'm 5'5' and own both 55 & 65
I use both, but I use the 65 more. The 55 is borderline too short for me. I use the 55 for side leaning type work, but the 65 for push ups, bicep curls etc.

Under 4’6”: 30 cm ball (12 inches)
4’6”–5’0” : 45 cm ball (18 inches)
5’1”--5’7” : 55 cm ball (22 inches)
5’8”--6’2” : 65 cm ball (26 inches)
Over 6’2”: 75 cm ball (30 inches)

Size recommendations can be all over the place. I think it not only depends on your height, but your leg length. When you sit on the ball, you want your legs to be at a right angle. I found the above chart based on height, but right away I see that for my height I am using a bigger ball than they recommend. I am 5'7" and use the 65 cm ball. However, my legs are very long. I have a 33-34 inch inseam.

If you are 5'4", I would guess 55 cm for you. However, you know your body type, so just use this as a starting point to determine what you need.

Last edited:
I'm 5'0" and use a 55 cm. I think it's probably a little too big, because when I do the exercises like side-leaning tricep extensions on the ball, I can't reach the floor with my hand. Not that it matters... but I notice everyone in Cathe's crew easily reach it. But I'm happy with the height for my legs.

I'm 5'0" and use a 55 cm. I think it's probably a little too big, because when I do the exercises like side-leaning tricep extensions on the ball, I can't reach the floor with my hand. Not that it matters... but I notice everyone in Cathe's crew easily reach it. But I'm happy with the height for my legs.

This is probably why I use both sizes. I can reach the floor on side leaning with the 55 and feel better sitting on the 65.

I originally purchased the 55 for me and the 65 for my husband, but I use it more than he does!

I am barely 5'0" too and bought a 45 cm ball off of Amazon (only place I could find one that small). I like it for most things but am probably going to get a 55 cm for some exercises like pushups on the ball.

I am barely 5'0" too and bought a 45 cm ball off of Amazon (only place I could find one that small). I like it for most things but am probably going to get a 55 cm for some exercises like pushups on the ball.

I just started using mine for an incline bench to do the back flies. Worked pretty well, because my step has me too close to the floor for this particular exercise. I also like using it for a chair when I'm playing video games. :p

I'm 5'2" and I love my 65. Smaller balls are uncomfortable for me during ab work. The only issue I've ever had was sitting on it during Bodymax2. I use a chair now which is more comfortable to me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back