What is your coming back from illness workout?

Cupcake

Cathlete
Hi

What routine/workouts do you start off with after being sick or injured? I'm going to need to ease back into it after laryngitis and a bad upper respiratory tract infection. I also have a frozen shoulder that's made life a bit difficult the last 2 months.

But there's weight to lose and I don't like feeling weak like this. What do you usually use when easing back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my share of injuries the last few years. Slipped disc, shoulder, pneumonia, sinus infections and heal spur/PF. You are not weak, your body just telling you to slow down.If you have the green light from your doc, start out slow. I did a lot of walking or do anything with tubing/light weights. Cathe beginner dvd are great for injuries. Jessica Smith youtube channel offers a lot of low impact workouts. She also has all her walking dvd's 50% off on Amazon. I paid a lot more for her dvd's:( Jessica has a lot of FREE low impact walking youtube workouts if you don't wanna buy more dvd's:p I also used Youtube for a lot low impact workouts. I also did a lot of yoga/stretching. I wish you a speedy recovery! Take care!

I would definitely second Jessica Smith - great workouts on youtube, she has a wonderful personality, and I think her walking workouts are very energizing. You may not want to buy another DVD, but I would also mention Christi Taylor's Spice - Cinnamon. It is a dancing (think kind of zumba style) workout that is separated into songs. I like it because you can do one, two, or all songs or whatever you feel up to that day. You get your heart rate up, but you can really control how much easily so as you can keep it low at first to not tax your recovering system. Once you feel more up to it, I always work my way back up to Cathe by staring with her Cardio and Weights (think that is the name of it?). One of her first ones, with the song Buttercup. At any rate, once I feel like I have a handle on that, I move on to some of her harder ones and modify as necessary until I am back in form. Good luck!

Hi
What routine/workouts do you start off with after being sick or injured? I'm going to need to ease back into it after laryngitis and a bad upper respiratory tract infection. I also have a frozen shoulder that's made life a bit difficult the last 2 months.

But there's weight to lose and I don't like feeling weak like this. What do you usually use when easing back?

Cathe's Basic Step is a great hip opener. even on the floor, to just get moving. I used Jillian Michaels, Ripped in 30, Killer Buns & Thighs, & Extreme Shed & Shred after a rather nasty twisted ankle. Surprising effective, from the big box store. Wouldn't recommend any weights at all though for the shoulder. Specifically though:

You might be able to do Intuflow, I think that's free on Youtube, at least the first two levels. Highly recommend.

I have never done Tai Chi, but that could be a possibility, and could possibly have many other benefits.

Meditation, for the breathing issues, most definitely.

It's always a bit of a crap shoot getting started again, ease into it, you'll be fine.

Late November through December is problematic for me because of Thanksgiving and Christmas and all that shopping and cooking, maybe its the stress that contributes to that dreaded winter cold. Not that it happens every year but this year I did get sick, and it knocked me out for two weeks solid. A full body workout is my go to, which is always 4DS, the premix that is upper/lower body combined. I usually follow it the next day with Butts and Guts, I have no idea why this combo works, but its gets me out of the hole.

My go-to is Cardio & Weights, using weights at 50% of what Cathe uses. It's fun, enough cardio to get a good workout, but not to much to be exhausting.

Thanks for posting this. I was just looking for this answer myself. :). I was thinking about trying Low Impact Circuit, for similar reasons as Cardio and Weights? I will have to try Cardio and Weights. Heal well!

A full body workout is my go to, which is always 4DS, the premix that is upper/lower body combined. I usually follow it the next day with Butts and Guts, I have no idea why this combo works, but its gets me out of the hole.

Nita:

sorry to hear you have been sick, like your recommended combo for come-backs, and this wording is exactly as I experience it: "getting out of the hole." Happy holidays!

Clare

I've had the respiratory thing since Sunday :( and have done zero workouts. Today I couldn't take it anymore and between coughing fits did RWH LIHI Legs. I lifted lighter than Cathe on some moves and shaved a rep or two off some of the cardio, but managed to get a good workout in. It was hard to breathe sometimes, but that is normal with this new series isn't it ;)?

Nanbo, we must have the same virus. I got mine Sunday, too. Yesterday I made it through Hard Strikes-30 minutes cardio boxing wasn't too bad. I did have to drop to 5 lbs for the upper body conditioning and slow down the sit up-push-up combo quite a bit. But I made it through! I got a good night's sleep and feel better today-hope you do too! Happy New Year!

Thank you! Keep them coming!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, did you try anything? I just happened to do Basic Step again today as a warm down & took notice of all the arm movements in it. You should really try it. On the floor. It will still get the blood moving through the shoulder, and it will feel great to just get moving again. You might, at the very least be able to figure out where, in the shoulder, you are having the problem. I wouldn't recommend lifting the arms up above the shoulder unless you feel you can do that without pain. Won't tax the breathing either if that is still an issue.

One thing I did a few years ago was take a video of myself stepping, I could see then where the limitations were. Maybe you should do that to see how you move. Worth a shot. If you do figure out where the problem is maybe someone here can help you sort that out? Take care.

Coming back from illness.....my workout would depend on WHAT illness it is. If breathing is an issue, I would go low impact like "Low impact circuit". Over an hour and total body. Nice. Or if its gastrointestinal........hmmmmm, definately NO jumping. Absolutely have to stretch more than normal, drink water and just try to flush the toxins out.

I can't believe how de conditioned I am! I decided that my first workout for the year was Cardio Fix from 21 Day Fix because it was supposed to be easy. Now if this was me in the Fall it would have been! I felt so bad and nauseated I couldn't finish it. It was just 2 exercises repeated twice and you do four rounds. I have never felt that bad during exercise before. I even modified stuff to low impact.

I can't believe how de conditioned I am! I decided that my first workout for the year was Cardio Fix from 21 Day Fix because it was supposed to be easy. Now if this was me in the Fall it would have been! I felt so bad and nauseated I couldn't finish it. It was just 2 exercises repeated twice and you do four rounds. I have never felt that bad during exercise before. I even modified stuff to low impact.

It'll come back so quickly. It's probably your body recovering more than having lost condition. Don't despair!

So, did you try anything? I just happened to do Basic Step again today as a warm down & took notice of all the arm movements in it. You should really try it. On the floor. It will still get the blood moving through the shoulder, and it will feel great to just get moving again. You might, at the very least be able to figure out where, in the shoulder, you are having the problem. I wouldn't recommend lifting the arms up above the shoulder unless you feel you can do that without pain. Won't tax the breathing either if that is still an issue.

One thing I did a few years ago was take a video of myself stepping, I could see then where the limitations were. Maybe you should do that to see how you move. Worth a shot. If you do figure out where the problem is maybe someone here can help you sort that out? Take care.

It's frozen. It doesn't hurt quite as badly as it did in October but its range of motion is limited. It's funny how you don't notice what a body part normally does until it stops working right!
I can't hold a plank...so planks, push ups ( and those up and down ones...try finding a workout without these moves lately ) burpees ... Heck, even simple jacks with arm cross overs were a no go yesterday. I could do the jack lol.

My cardio was so bad, but i guess it's to be expected. It's just amazing how a respiratory tract infection can wreak so much damage. I would hate to imagine getting the actual Flu or a Pneumonia.

I should probably dig out a Kathy Smith walking video....OMG.

Last edited:
It's frozen. It doesn't hurt quite as badly as it did in October but its range of motion is limited...

I should probably dig out a Kathy Smith walking video....OMG.

You should probably get that diagnosed properly, and get exercises from a PT, especially since you want (need) to get that working & moving again. Walking is probably a good thing to do in the mean time, no OMG, what's wrong with that? it's where you are right now. Walking has many benefits as well.

You'll likely be ready for those AOS workouts before I am!

Yes the PT goes Ape on it. AOS workouts...I used to love those! KB work outs are so efficient and low impact. It might be awhile as KB rely so much on snatches, pressess and up and down push ups for conditioning. The OMG is for the Kathy Smith. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.