What is your AC set at?

Lorrie, I'm so envious!! I'd love to be able to suck cool air up from a basement and avoid A/C! However, I rent a second story condo in steamy southwest Florida. As much as I resent it, A/C is a necessity. I keep my thermostat set at 78-79 in an effort to conserve energy. I find that temp to be pretty comfy for me. I do use ceiling fans, but only if I'm in the room.

Interesting thread... :)

I keep mine at 81 during the day and drop to 78 right before bed. The A/c blows just long enough for me to get comfortable and sleep. With temps hitting 100 and humidity in the 80s, a/c is not an option. I naturally get too cold very easily, but both DH and I are fine at 81.

OH HOW I HATE THE A/C!!!!!! I rarely ever turn it on myself. But with this heat and humidity so early in the season, I broke down on Saturday morning. I have mine set at 79.

I can't wait for the outside temp/humidity to drop so I can turn it off and open my windows.

Gayle

I used never use the AC in an attempt to conserve energy and resources. I'd just sweat all summer. Of course, back then I was younger and tougher. :p

Unfortunately, what happened is that the humidity destroyed my home. The tape that covers joints in the sheetrock started coming down, and we had to repair several places on the walls. And I had to have professionals come in and entirely redo the ceiling. They had to scrape it, re-tape it and then refinish it.

And to make matters worse, the moisture barrier beneath my concrete slab apparently failed, so during high humidity (which is all summer), my floors sweat. That destroyed my carpet. I pulled it all up and put tile down. The floors still sweat if the windows are open though.

Soo...... all that to say, I now use AC all summer long. I saved absolutely no money with all those home repairs. I do keep it set at between 78 and oh, 81-ish and use ceiling fans, though.

Lorrie,

I'm with you. I HATE AC and can't believe we've had to turn ours on so early this year! Today we'll have a high of 100 and a low of 78 (of course, they feel it necessary to tell us that the index is something like 200 degrees...hey, when it's 100 degrees with 90% humidity, do we really need to set our minds higher???).

Well, we have window units (we might put central in if we ever sell this house), and they're both set at 78, but when the rooms get too cool, we either turn them off or set them to 81.

The dial on our air conditioners go from 1 to 10, 10 being the coldest. Today we've got them all on 10. I'd like to have some that go to 11. ;)

It's set at 82 during the day, and 78 or 80 at night. I don't like to be cold, and I'd probably be fine without AC EXCEPT for the darn humidity. I HATE humidity. So we let the AC come on a little bit just to suck some of the moisture out of the air. We use a lot of fans (ceiling and otherwise) to keep things feeling cooler.

Comfort is in the skin of the beholder. "Room temperature" is generally considered 72 degrees (at least in the scientific community), but that's way too cold for me.

We just bought a new A/C unit this year. Our old one was about 20 yrs old! This one is much more efficient, and so far we've kept it around 78*. I don't mind the heat but hate the humidity and with my dh and dd's allergies we just can't leave the windows open.

We keep ours at 72. It is so humis here in Indiana that it would be impossible to go without air.
LD
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL395/10721112/19111645/307955868.jpg[/IMG]

We have yet to break out of the 60s here in the beautiful Keweenaw peninsula. We just turned off our heater and opened the windows yesterday!

I only turn ours on when the humidity is high...like it is right now. I usually have it set on 80 because the control is upstairs and we are still living mostly in the daylight basement downstairs so it usually keeps it in the middle to high 70s, where I am comfortable in shorts in the house. When it is nice though, we turn the air off and open the windows. Being in the mountains, we usually have a good breeze.

Because of fuel costs, I'm hoping we have a low humidity summer. We had a summer a couple years ago where it was just miserable all summer....which was the year before we put our central air in. I made sure we had it for the following one, and it was a nice one with hardly any humidity. Go figure.

Tammy

OH my Lorrie .. if you like heat AND humidity .. take a trip down here .. Southern Alabama .. BET you would change your mind!!

Our air has been on since the first of March ... yesterday was 100 degrees in the shade .. today is supposed to be hotter .. and the heat index is 110 .. it is a SCORCHER!! The humidity makes it feel hotter and the air is thick!

We keep our heat pump on 74 - 75 .. which is comfy .. power companies reccommends a setting f 76 to conserve energy!! If you can take it higher .. go for it .. LOL!!!

We use ours primarily to pull the humidity out of the air. During the day, it's set at 78 and 75 for sleeping. When the kids were younger, they'd complain, "it's still hot in here. can't we turn it down?" I'd tell 'em, 'stand outside on the deck for 5 minutes and then come in. you'll see how nice and cool it is.' they never bought it, but they love to rub it in that we're cheap!
Valerie

Having lived in the south for most of my life, I cannot imagine a summer without AC. Yikes! It's been in the upper 90s here this past week. We keep our AC set at 77 during the day, and 75 in the evening. In the morning it doesn't kick in too much if it cooled off at night, but the heat accumulates during the day so it gets pretty warm in here by the evening, especially the upstairs bedrooms. The basement isn't air conditioned and stays pretty cool (that's where I am right now, ahhhh). We use our ceiling fans all summer and that helps too.

Last year in August we had a couple of weeks of 100+ temps, beginning two days after we knocked a big hole in our wall for our kitchen renovation. The AC couldn't keep up, no matter what we did to close off the kitchen from the rest of the house...ugh! We ended up hanging out in my workout room, which has a window AC unit. During that time I went to NJ for the Road Trip, and the temps there were in the 60s and 70s. I felt pretty guilty leaving DH and the kids to swelter down here!

>"I'd like to have some that go to 11."
>
>Oh, Nancy, you're so Spinal Tap!

teresa! You got the reference! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.