What are your favorite Christmas movies??

pjlippert

Cathlete
Just hosted the Leg Lamp party from a Christmas Story- obviuosly a major fav. I have to be honest... choosing a top pick is tough. I also love the George C.Scott AND Patrick Stewart Christmas Carol... and yes... The Muppets Christmas Carol. All versions of the Grinch so far....

tell me about your favs!!

Pam

Bridget Jones's Diary. It's a bit of a stretch but it still has that Christmassy feel to it and my mother pulls it out for us to watch every year. :)

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is my absolute all-time fave. Also love Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Burgermeister Meisterburger!) :) and A Christmas Story.

Polar Express

Charlie Brown Christmas

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Miracle on 34th Street

Christmas Story

Not to be a grinch but anyone else sick of how many corny Xmas movies are on tv every year....somebody is either a widow, an orphan, disabled, a work-aholic etc etc and "discovers" the true meaning of Xmas. Don't get me wrong, I like Xmas movies....I'm just looking for something more original!

Not to be a grinch but anyone else sick of how many corny Xmas movies are on tv every year....somebody is either a widow, an orphan, disabled, a work-aholic etc etc and "discovers" the true meaning of Xmas. Don't get me wrong, I like Xmas movies....I'm just looking for something more original!

Phew I thought I was the only one!! Between Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Channel, the Hallmark Channel, and ABC Family, there have been non-stop cheese fests on since Thanksgiving and I want to scream!!!!

My favorites are:
Natl Lampoon's Christmas Vaca
Elf
A Christmas Story (but I refuse to watch the marathon)
Frosty cartoon
Family Stone (not really Christmasy but it takes place during Christmas)

I never saw It's A Wonderful Life. My aunt bought it for me one year cuz she was appalled that I had no clue what it was about; that was 2 years ago and I still haven't opened it :eek:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is my absolute all-time fave.

Me too! I love the Griswolds! I used to wish Clark was my dad. Now I wish he was my husband. LOL! And "large, bulging" cousin Eddie........I cannot get enough of that movie!

Ummm Mel? You absolutely, positively MUST watch It's a Wonderful Life! I insist you open it & watch it tonight. I swear, I cry at the end of that movie EVERY SINGLE TIME. I know what's coming, crap, I can recite it, but I still have a mini breakdown at the end.

Not an Xmas movie but an Xmas tradition for me: The Full Monty. I think that movie has the greatest final scene of all time. :D

My all time favorite is White Christmas with Bing Crosby. I love to put it on while I am decorating my tree. Then it would be The Grinch and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Tracy

I'm with Melissa - I like the Family Stone. I actually also like Love Actually and When Harry Met Sally (not an xmas movie, per se, but takes place during the holidays several times). Oh, and Bad Santa is funny in a demented kind of way.

Sorry Laura - It's a Wonderful Life is at the top of my all-time hate list. On the rare occassion it is on in my presence, I'm usually yelling at George to just jump when he has the chance.

Last edited:
Sorry Laura - It's a Wonderful Life is at the top of my all-time hate list. On the rare occassion it is on in my presence, I'm usually yelling at George to just jump when he has the chance.

Well bah humbug to you too! :p

Christmas Vacation - watching it now
It's a Wonderful Life
Elmo Saves Christmas "wish wish wish wish"
Charlie Brown
Grinch - the original cartoon, not the new Jim Carey crap fest
Garfield's Christmas Special
Rudolph
The Year Without Santa Claus "I'll have a blue Christmas without you"
Olive, The Other Reindeer
Scrooged
A Christmas Carol - the one with Alistair Sim
and let's not forget Gremlins - love the caroling gremlins :)

Oddly enough, I've never seen White Christmas. How weird is that?

Nan

Also a big fan of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation! Love that one!
It's a Wonderful Life
Elf
Rudolph
A Christmas Story (This one isn't actually a favorite, as much as the memories of it each year--my husband knows it by heart and cracks up at it every year while I'm up during the wee hours of the morning wrapping presents!:eek: I can't get him to help me because he's SO into the movie!:mad::p:rolleyes:)

Never seen It's a Wonderful Life?!? Melissa, LauraMax and I will have to pin you down and force you to watch it!! I totally cry my eyes outat the end as well! However, I wish that the stupid Uncle who loses the money should jump!! :p

Pam

Christmas Vacation - watching it now
It's a Wonderful Life
Elmo Saves Christmas "wish wish wish wish"
Charlie Brown
Grinch - the original cartoon, not the new Jim Carey crap fest
Garfield's Christmas Special
Rudolph
The Year Without Santa Claus "I'll have a blue Christmas without you"
Olive, The Other Reindeer
Scrooged
A Christmas Carol - the one with Alistair Sim
and let's not forget Gremlins - love the caroling gremlins :)

Oddly enough, I've never seen White Christmas. How weird is that?

Nan

I agree with you on this list with Christmas Vacation being the #1, can't get enough of that movie lol

Definitely, definitely watch "It's a wonderful life". I love this film! Pretty cool of your aunt to buy it for you when she found out you hadn't seen it. I am a huge Jimmy Stewart fan. I also love:

"The shop around the corner" (much better than "You've got mail" - which it was based on)
"Holiday Inn"
"White Christmas"
"The year without a santa claus"
"the Grinch who stole Christmas" - cartoon

A Christmas Story, It's a Wonderful Life, Charlie Brown and The Year Without a Santa Claus.

My daughter and I started our holiday tradition last year, which includes going to dinner on Christmas Eve, then driving around the "rich" neighborhood to look at their decorations, then heading home for a movie. Last year it was PF Chang's for dinner and A Christmas Story for the movie. I've been trying to talk her into Shawn of the Dead for our movie this year, but she wants A Christmas Carol. Fine! I bought the Jim Carrey version. Probably should've gotten George C. Scott - he's obviously the better actor, but I figured.... she's 10.... she'll like Jim better. Maybe Shawn of the Dead will be next year.

I love Jimmy Stewart too. He just seems like he was an awesome guy to know.

I'm a sap for It's a Wonderful Life as well.

Elf
Miracle on 34th street
All the old clay-mation specials
Grinch
Charlie Brown
Christmas Vacation

Finally saw White Christmas for the first time on Monday night.

[ "The shop around the corner" (much better than "You've got mail" - which it was based on)
"[/QUOTE]

I LOVE The Shop around the corner!!
It's a Wonderful Life --I really really like Jimmy Stewart
Miracle on 34th St (with Natalie Wood)
Elf
A Christmas Carol
Anabell's Wish

Now I need to go pull these out ASAP!

White Christmas, Polar Express, National lampoons Christmas, a Christmas Story, and It's a Wonderful Life top my list. I live in Donna Reed's hometown and the uptown area is supposed to resemble the streetscape in It's a Wonderful Life...and coming out of the Donna Reed theater on Wednesday evening after my son's thoroughly enjoyable Christmas program for our Catholic school, the snow was gently falling and for a brief second with so many laughing families walking down the wide decorated sidewalks, I felt like we were living in Donna Reed's time straight out the movie. So peaceful and reminded me and many others what is must important during this Blessed time of year-FAMILY!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.