weights for my 14 year old daughter?

katied

Cathlete
Hello! I have a question for Cathe or whomever may have any ideas for me. My daughter has recently become very interested in my Cathe workouts (yay!) but I am wondering if she should be using any weights at her age? She loves Crossfire and Hiit and is very excited for Xtrain to arrive, but I am just wondering how much she should be doing while she is still developing, especially where weights are concerned? I have been letting her use very light weights-- 3 pounds-- but am wondering what is appropriate. I think it is so great, though, that she is as hooked on Cathe workouts as I am! Her little 11 year old brother says he also wants to try:). Anyway, anyone with info or experience with this? Thanks in advance for your help!

p.s. she even wants to do a mother/daughter road trip some day!

Not a professional...

...but my 12-year-old daughter sometimes does Cathe workouts with me (cardio only).

I would hesitate to let her to use weights -- especially in a video that combines cardio and weights. Maybe you could encourage your daughter to work out using bodyweight exercises (like the boot camp-style workouts).

I'm sure there are many articles available on the subject, but here is one from the American Academy of Pediatrics:

HealthyChildren.org - Weight Training: Risk of Injury

My DD mentioned that her swim coach is doing dry-land training to prepare them for the season, but they're doing running, push-ups, jump rope and jumping jacks -- no weights at all (even though they are working out in a weight room and have access to them).

I guess my advice, as a mother and very long-time exerciser, is better safe than sorry. However, it's wonderful that your your kids that they want to exercise -- you must be setting a good example! :D

It depends....I have actually heard that girls should start weight training before boys, typically before 14 yrs. old. Usually girls go through puberty earlier than boys and it's ok to start lifting weights (Obviously starting light and with high reps). Most importantly, she must perform these exercises with proper form.

She doesn't need to be lifting heavy at this age...she should be supervised and take rest days when needed. Slow progression!!

I don't have any information to share, but just wanted to say how happy I am for you to have a new workout buddy. You must be so happy and proud to have such a positive influence on your daughter!

thanks for your response, jdimascio, that is interesting to think about! girls definitely do go through puberty earlier than boys, and my daughter certainly fits that profile. yeah, i was certain heavy weights would not be good and have told her as much, but have been letting her use the 3 lb. she says she wants to be able to "use something" at least in her workouts:).

thank you, trixoo! it is very nice! i do think it would be great to do a mother-daughter road trip together! i am pretty darn lucky the kids are interested in exercise-- guess it's just because cathe is so darn good! you can't help but want to get up and work out:D

Hi there!

Not an expert (obviously) but my sister who is 16 now, has been weight training since she started high school as part of her Physical Education Program (we are in Canada). The school has a fully equipped weight room, and the District School Board for our region have encouraged the kids to weight train 1-2X/week. Now, I'm not sure if they are using "lighter" weights, but I know she definitely uses them. There is also a huge focus on body weight training like pull-ups, dips, push-ups, ect. As for the boys, my husband goes to the gym and he says the weight room is swarming with teenage boys (16+). Apparently it's been cool to weight train since Jersey Shore :rolleyes:. Of course, your children's doctor would be the best form of council.

Oh and kuddos to you for being such a healthy influence on your children! I hope to have the same influence on my daughter in the future.

Good luck!

Natasha

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.