weight training and osteoporosis

Mocha

Cathlete
I have a question about split weight routines (such as STS and 4DS) and osteoporosis.

I read somewhere that in order for weight-bearing exercise to be effective at strengthening bones, it has to be done "most days of the week". So I was wondering... split routines only target one set of muscles (and therefore the bones as well) once... at most twice... per week. But you are still weight-training for many or most days of the week. So is it equivalent to only doing weight-bearing work once per week? Are split-weight routines a good way to strengthen bones and prevent osteoporosis?

I ask because I am in a demographic at very high risk of developing this disease later in life, and this is a big motivator for me to do weights. I love split-weight routines and what they do for my muscles, but are they the best option for building bone?

Thanks for any help/ guidance you can offer!

also remember that any weight-bearing exercise helps to offset osteoporosis, so that includes running, walking, step, kickbox, as opposed to swimming, cycling, for example. so you may actually be doing weight-bearing exercise most days of the week.

I am also in a demographic at very high risk, but my understanding, as lala says, was that MOST exercise, even walking more than a block (which I do every day) is "weight-bearing" for purposes of prevention. I'm no expert, but my sense was that if you're doing cardio AND weight training AND getting enough calcium and Vitamin D AND not smoking, you're doing great.

I have been attending a community group for those who suffer from arthritis and osteoporosis as a requirement for my nursing school clinical rotation. The Arthritis Foundation actually recommends exercise: strength, aerobic, and flexibility as ways to cope with/improve arthritis and reduce the risk of osteoporosis. I would also add that ANY exercise (this actually excludes swimming which does NOT place stress on the bones) that places stress on the bones is a good choice for reducing your risk of osteoporosis.

Talk to your doctor about taking calcium and Vitamin D (dose, when to take, if you should take it all at one time or twice per day).

Also, cut out or reduce the number of sodas you drink (assuming you do). All sodas have phosphoric acid which leaches calcium from the bones. If you are really concerned, I would add this to the list of things to do (in this case NOT do) in order to reduce your risk.

HTH!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.