Upper body recommendation (during lower body injury)

Tmj75

I'm recovering from a torn hamstring and looking for a good upper body workout that is all standing (I know lots of them involve mat or bench work--and I don't get to the ground easily), preferably fast paced or lighter weights/high reps to get my heart rate up seeing I can't do any other cardio.

It's been several weeks and I'm cleared to do this type of workout. For lower body, I only do my gentle PT exercises. No HIIT cardio/intervals (or I could sub them with something simple that I can handle, like marching in place). Any recommendations from the DVDs, Lives, or Workout Blender? I have a feeling this is something I'll have to create from the Workout Blender.

Thanks!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Years ago, back in 2007, I injured my knee running and for a time was unable to do traditional lower body stuff like lunges and squats. Back then I was doing Jari Love's Get Ripped dvds and there was one called Slim & Lean that focused primarily on light weight high rep exercises and most of it was upper body. What I did was skip the lunge and squat tracks and do all the upper body work. This one did have push ups, bench presses and triceps dips. I did that for quite a while and ended up getting an elliptical and when I felt confident enough, I resumed lower body training. Sorry, I know that's not a Cathe workout, but its what worked for me.

I don't know if you've ever heard of a program called P.volve, but its based on physical therapy and functional training and I did my P.volve 21 Day Butt Lift dvd plus some other workouts from my free trial both last summer when I injured my other knee during Cardio Slam and just a month ago when I had a mild calf strain. I rehabbed my knee and calf using P.volve and it actually made for a great active recovery week as well.

I don't use the workout blender because I only use Cathe's dvds and I'm not sure if any of her workouts are true light weight high rep in the sense that Jari Love's workouts were. Jari Love's Get Ripped was what got me hooked on strength training and I was totally blown away that I could burn 300 calories by simply doing weights because I was such a cardio junkie, especially during my running days. I hope this helps!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Years ago, back in 2007, I injured my knee running and for a time was unable to do traditional lower body stuff like lunges and squats. Back then I was doing Jari Love's Get Ripped dvds and there was one called Slim & Lean that focused primarily on light weight high rep exercises and most of it was upper body. What I did was skip the lunge and squat tracks and do all the upper body work. This one did have push ups, bench presses and triceps dips. I did that for quite a while and ended up getting an elliptical and when I felt confident enough, I resumed lower body training. Sorry, I know that's not a Cathe workout, but its what worked for me.

I don't know if you've ever heard of a program called P.volve, but its based on physical therapy and functional training and I did my P.volve 21 Day Butt Lift dvd plus some other workouts from my free trial both last summer when I injured my other knee during Cardio Slam and just a month ago when I had a mild calf strain. I rehabbed my knee and calf using P.volve and it actually made for a great active recovery week as well.

I don't use the workout blender because I only use Cathe's dvds and I'm not sure if any of her workouts are true light weight high rep in the sense that Jari Love's workouts were. Jari Love's Get Ripped was what got me hooked on strength training and I was totally blown away that I could burn 300 calories by simply doing weights because I was such a cardio junkie, especially during my running days. I hope this helps!
I had that Jari Love Slim and Lean and it bored me to tears!!!Something about her set and drab format never worked for me-I actually pulled out one of her old workouts today-the weights segment of Body Rock and I prayed for it to end!!

I'm recovering from a torn hamstring and looking for a good upper body workout that is all standing (I know lots of them involve mat or bench work--and I don't get to the ground easily), preferably fast paced or lighter weights/high reps to get my heart rate up seeing I can't do any other cardio.

It's been several weeks and I'm cleared to do this type of workout. For lower body, I only do my gentle PT exercises. No HIIT cardio/intervals (or I could sub them with something simple that I can handle, like marching in place). Any recommendations from the DVDs, Lives, or Workout Blender? I have a feeling this is something I'll have to create from the Workout Blender.

Thanks!
Hope you feel better!Ive broken both feet and I do a lot of Barlates upper body workouts-she uses light weights but a lot of reps and isometric holds so the burn is real-she has a lot of clips on Youtube that you can preview and there’s a great short clip on YouTube by Hamelin D’abell-Classic arms and shoulders-he marches in place for a few moves but you can always stand still-I use 4 pound weights but the burn is intense

I had that Jari Love Slim and Lean and it bored me to tears!!!Something about her set and drab format never worked for me-I actually pulled out one of her old workouts today-the weights segment of Body Rock and I prayed for it to end!!
I absolutely loved Jari Love's Slim & Lean, Ripped To The Core, Get Ripped 1000 and Ripped and Chiseled. I didn't care too much for the original Get Ripped dvd and I really didn't like any of her stuff after she released Get Extremely Ripped in 2009. I liked the pace and those little narrations between exercises gave me time to make sure I had all my equipment ready for what came next. Its funny how one person can absolutely love a particular workout and it doesn't appeal to another. While I would "love" to go back and do those Jari Love DVD's again, since going heavy with Cathe and getting stronger, doing 100 reps of biceps curls with 8 pound dumbbells would almost seem like a waste of time. Get Ripped was what got me hooked on strength training but I think I've outgrown those workouts. I'm certainly never getting rid of them because there might come a time where I would need to change my routine and I would certainly give them another go.

Any recommendations from the DVDs, Lives, or Workout Blender? I have a feeling this is something I'll have to create from the Workout Blender.

Your best bet might be to put together a workout or two using the blender. I don't know about chest work as that all seems to be either bench or floor, but maybe you could do standing push-ups against a wall. With back you are probably limited to rows and rear delts, maybe deadlifts if you can manage them. But there are lots of standing options for biceps, triceps and shoulders. Even if some of the exercises are done seated, like seated lateral raises, you could always do them standing. You can also use lighter weights and do more reps. Maybe look at the X-Train series, ICE, Ripped with Hiit, Strong & Sweaty Ramped Up Upper Body and the STS Endurance Phase 1 workouts.

I absolutely loved Jari Love's Slim & Lean, Ripped To The Core, Get Ripped 1000 and Ripped and Chiseled. I didn't care too much for the original Get Ripped dvd and I really didn't like any of her stuff after she released Get Extremely Ripped in 2009. I liked the pace and those little narrations between exercises gave me time to make sure I had all my equipment ready for what came next. Its funny how one person can absolutely love a particular workout and it doesn't appeal to another. While I would "love" to go back and do those Jari Love DVD's again, since going heavy with Cathe and getting stronger, doing 100 reps of biceps curls with 8 pound dumbbells would almost seem like a waste of time. Get Ripped was what got me hooked on strength training but I think I've outgrown those workouts. I'm certainly never getting rid of them because there might come a time where I would need to change my routine and I would certainly give them another go.
I agree-someone recommended Turbo Jam to me years ago as the best workout ever-I received and returned mine in the same day-definitely not for me

I agree-someone recommended Turbo Jam to me years ago as the best workout ever-I received and returned mine in the same day-definitely not for me
I absolutely loved Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire. In fact, when I need a fun cardio day, Turbo Jam is a go to.

I just had 2 Cathe workouts come to mind: ICE Chiseled Upper Body and LITE Pyramid Upper Body. Those both seemed to use lighter weights. Hope this helps!

Even if some of the exercises are done seated, like seated lateral raises, you could always do them standing. You can also use lighter weights and do more reps.
Totally agree, Hazlady, with your advice! On the seated/kneeling exercises, Cathe
usually has someone showing the standing option in this series and use the lighter weights,
etc., if this is what you need to do..... until you can do more, don't fret over the weights they
are using and do what is right for you at the time.

Thank you! These are all great suggestions, and I will look into them! It's been so hard being sidelined and not able to even walk very well. Really looking for ways to get my heart rate up/body moving even if it's not much. It's a long recovery (high-grade proximal tear), but slowly getting there. Thanks again!

I absolutely loved Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire. In fact, when I need a fun cardio day, Turbo Jam is a go to.

I just had 2 Cathe workouts come to mind: ICE Chiseled Upper Body and LITE Pyramid Upper Body. Those both seemed to use lighter weights. Hope this helps!
I’m very uncoordinated and still have nightmares of Jazzercise and a step aerobics class I once took-that one put me in a knee brace-I prefer lifting to break a sweat or my elliptical-also hated the weird Firm footwork-4 limbed I think they called it

Thank you! These are all great suggestions, and I will look into them! It's been so hard being sidelined and not able to even walk very well. Really looking for ways to get my heart rate up/body moving even if it's not much. It's a long recovery (high-grade proximal tear), but slowly getting there. Thanks again!
I once broke my foot at same time that I had a herniated disc-I’m someone who hates to take test days and I just challenged myself to find ways to work-there’s a lot of amazing mat workouts and chair aerobics ones that I still use even without an injury

I’m very uncoordinated and still have nightmares of Jazzercise and a step aerobics class I once took-that one put me in a knee brace-I prefer lifting to break a sweat or my elliptical-also hated the weird Firm footwork-4 limbed I think they called it
I had an Octane Fitness elliptical and I regret selling it just to have more floor space in my workout area. I've done step since I was a teenager, but I struggle with complex routines and although I finally got the hang of some of Cathe's step workouts like IMAX 2 and 3, Body Max 2, Low Max and Athletic Step, previewing Step Sync left me perplexed and I was going to try IMAX4 and tried some of it and just stood there and couldn't even find a starting point to pick back up. Ditto for that bonus step routine on Cardio Party. There was swooshing sound as it went straight over my head. But I remember taking Junior Jazzercise when I was a kid. My cousins and I took at the racquetball club near where I lived. I had a blast and I still remember this circle arms movement done to the Pointer Sisters song "Automatic"!!!!! And I never tried The Firm workouts. When I was probably 23 or 24, I bought Kathy Smith's "Lift Weight To Lose Weight" at Target and it was 20 minutes upper body and 20 minutes lower body and back then I remember 8 pounders being heavy. In fact, I bought a set of 10's and had to back off. That was a great foundational workout for me, but I've outgrown it because of being stronger and lifting heavy with Cathe.

Tmj75,

I give you props for wanting to work out while rehabbing an injury. I agree with Hazlady. If you want to do a "follow-along" workout, you'll need to accept you're going to have to modify/skip some segments or use the workout blender. If you can safely use a bench, you'll have more options for chest work. To make wall push-ups harder you could use a weighted vest or maybe figure out a way to anchor a band... You might look into metabolic workouts, both dvd and LIVE and skip the lunges, etc & just do the UB. The PHA workouts are quite cardio - not sure how cardio they'll be without the LB but you could try them. You could also do the upper body parts of kickbox workouts for cardio and even add in 1#hand weights to up the intensity. A rowing machine or ergometer (if in your budget) could be used for cardio too. Maybe try some "walking" dvds for cardio.

Do what you can, you'll be able to get back in the game once you heal. We all experience set-backs now and then. It can be frustrating and disappointing, but it's a part of life. Even Cathe - she's had 2 injuries in the last couple of years, so know you're in good company... :)

Tmj75,

I give you props for wanting to work out while rehabbing an injury. I agree with Hazlady. If you want to do a "follow-along" workout, you'll need to accept you're going to have to modify/skip some segments or use the workout blender. If you can safely use a bench, you'll have more options for chest work. To make wall push-ups harder you could use a weighted vest or maybe figure out a way to anchor a band... You might look into metabolic workouts, both dvd and LIVE and skip the lunges, etc & just do the UB. The PHA workouts are quite cardio - not sure how cardio they'll be without the LB but you could try them. You could also do the upper body parts of kickbox workouts for cardio and even add in 1#hand weights to up the intensity. A rowing machine or ergometer (if in your budget) could be used for cardio too. Maybe try some "walking" dvds for cardio.

Do what you can, you'll be able to get back in the game once you heal. We all experience set-backs now and then. It can be frustrating and disappointing, but it's a part of life. Even Cathe - she's had 2 injuries in the last couple of years, so know you're in good company... :)
Thanks! These are great suggestions. I love the metabolic and PHA workouts (especially some of the Live/no repeat ones) but still a bit more than I can do for lower. I'll definitely look at some of the upper body moves from these and maybe just create something of my own in Workout Blender. I'm actually 8 weeks post-injury (why I'm dying to do something...it's a 3-6 month treatment plan) and just doing my physical therapy very light exercises (mini-squats, calf raises, left lifts, etc) for lower. I've been doing a couple of easier upper body workouts, but ready to do a bit more. I can't even do the exercise bike yet, nor walk normally or far without a limp...I do gait training and walks for rehab but not really intense cardio or anything yet for lower body. I really tore it good. Getting there slowly but surely! Thinking about trying battle ropes. Thanks again!

Thanks, will give those a try! I know I've done the ICE series before (a few years ago).

I also love Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire! I still pop those in once in awhile (pre-injury)! I cannot do the Cathe step workouts however...I'm way too uncoordinated for those! :)

Ain't that the truth! Still "nursing" my left knee somewhat, but hard-headed me, decided
to practice how I could modify those step over front lunges. Well, needless to say, now
my right ankle/foot hurts....got a ankle support on now...:(
This helped me with those "step-over"lunges - do the first few with a regular lunge and note where your foot falls, then step-over & make sure you aim for the same spot as when doing the regular lunge. This eliminated the exaggerated step lunge Cathe says to not do.

To make wall push-ups harder you could use a weighted vest or maybe figure out a way to anchor a band...
For wall pushups you could use a fabric or stretch band across your back similar to how Cathe and crew use it in floor pushups, so you are pushing against some resistance. Explosive standing wall pushups, where you push completely away from the wall, might be an option to give some variety. You can also use different hand positions, wide, narrow, staggered. Another option is to use a mini ball under one hand for a few reps, then switch to the other hand, to give a bit of instability and make your stabilizer muscles work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.