Toss the Scale or the Heavy Weights?

BelovedHeather

Cathlete
Cathe:

I am still loving the 4-Day Split, but the heavy weight work is not loving me. I was so excited to finally find weight work I love and enjoy. Then I stepped on the scale today and was shocked to see that I GAINED 10 pounds the first week! :eek: Eek! Could my body be in shock because it is not used to HEAVY weight training? I was a cardio and circuit training queen, and 12 pounds was the heaviest weight I used before this series. I bought heavier weights (15, 20, and 25 pounds) and have been training harder than ever. My body is betraying me! :-(

For the record, my eating has been good all month (other than one emotional weekend that did not even result in a gain). I was maintaining my weight naturally until I added heavy weights to the mix a week ago. It is not even close to time for my cycle, so that is not a factor. I am planning a week of menus in advance, packing meals and snacks every night for the next day, eating small meals every few hours with a good balance of fruits/veggies and complex carbs and protein, drinking plenty of water, getting more sleep, and doing everything I know to do. I am not hungrier than usual and NOT eating more than I plan to eat. HELP!!!!

Do I toss the scale or the heavy weights out the window? As much as I am enjoying every minute of this new rotation, I am so tempted to return to cardio heaven this week! I will hang in there if you think this is a temporary setback. I still believe this is my breakthrough series, but this is not the result I was hoping to see! I was doing the happy dance until I stepped on the scale today. :(

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Heather:

Try to ignore the scale for a while. You have just started a new program with a different emphasis and different demands upon the body. Your muscles are responding by holding on to some extra water while they repair themselves and adjust to these demands. This is a short-lived transition period and a lot of us go through this with new weight training programs. In a while, you will lose this water weight and sleek muscles will be revealed. Heavy weights used in a disciplined program should help you to drop several dress sizes because muscle tissue creates a lean, compact body. You just have to be patient and bear through this transition period to see the results you want. Let your body do its thing and try not to worry.

Clare

Heather:

Also remember that scales are very negative instruments. Negative for the bad feelings they make occur in us: self-berating for not being slim enough/beautiful enough/whatever enough, fill in the blanks. Scales are not good tools for measuring fitness and improved health either, and those are the real objectives here, right?

Maybe don't toss them, but store them in a cupboard so that you have to exert effort to extract them and make weighing yourself nothing more than a once a month item on your fitness agenda.

Your mood and self-confidence will improve in leaps and bounds!

Clare ;-)

Heather, I am living proof you want the heavy weights. My BMI is 24, and if you consider 25 is where they consider overweight starts, you would think I am on the large side. Well, I wear a size 4-6, and it is because of the muscle mass. I could care less what I weigh, I pay attention to my clothing size and measurements. I am 46 and a Master's swimmer. We got a new college girl to coach us this year. Her comment to me, was wow, great muscles. At 46, I will take that!

As far as the 10 pounds in one week. It is not fat, it is not even muscle. It is retention of water because your muscles are swollen from the unaccustomed use. It will pass. Drink a lot of water to flush your body out.

I would be more inclined to toss the scale. How do your clothes fit? I would say with a 10 lb gain nothing on the bottom would fit you if this is a true gain. I would try another scale to check your weight.
Good luck! Hope it is the scale.

Heather, I was so surprised to see your post on this subject, because the same thing happened to me when I weighed myself yesterday morning. It wasn't ten pounds (which I'm sure was a shock to see!), but I did gain three from last Monday. I, too, have been doing the 4DS, and was wondering if the heavier weights were the cause. I have been eating normally--maybe even a bit healthier, so I'm pretty sure that food isn't the reason.

I've been maintaining a 110 pound weight loss for nearly three years now, and weigh myself every Monday. I must admit that due to my fear of regaining the lost weight, I am a bit too focused on the numbers on the scale. But as soon as I saw dorothyrd's post, I went to my closet and tried a on a pair of jeans I haven't worn since last spring, and they are a bit loose in the thighs and butt--so something good is happening. :)

It's reassuring to read others' opinions that this may be extra water and/or our bodies just getting used to a new way of training. I think I may just try and shun the scale while I work on my 4DS 6 week rotation and pay attention to the positives--the new strength and definition and fun. :) I really am enjoying the new workouts!

I appreciate you taking the time to post your experience, Heather, and thank those who've answered. It's made me shift my mindset a little bit, as I tend to obsess if I see that scale go up. Best wishes to you, Heather, and good luck with all your fitness goals. :)

If I remember right awhile back Cathe answered a "what do you weigh" type of question by saying that she weighs more than one would expect because of all of her lean muscle mass.

The scale is just one (and not very great either) way of measuring your progress. I say throw away the scale and instead gauge your success with how you feel and how your clothes fit.

Kathy

"she weighs more than one would expect because of all of her lean muscle mass."

Yep...ever hear people say "muscle weighs more than fat"? Then ever hear someone say "no it doesn't..a pound is a pound"...the thing is, muscle is tighter and more compact...so if you have a chunk of muscle the size of a deck of cards and then a chunk of fat the same size, and you put them on the scale, the muscle is going to weigh more. However, if you put a pound of fat on one side, you're going to have a SMALLER chunk of muscle on the opposite side of the scale (I'm thinking of something like the scales of justice - ha) to equal a pound...that's why these muscular gals that may "weigh alot" are fitting into single digit clothes.

Put your scale away for a week or two and just go by how your clothes fit you. Don't freak out. Especially if when you weighed yourself you were close to your cycle...I swear I gain 5-6 pounds at that time of the month - regardless of how I'm lifting and working out.

:7

Does the water weight gain only occur with heavy weight lifting ? Or, can it occur with say lifting weights in GS series or Pure Strength series ? Thanks

I Have Decided

Thank y’all for the encouragement and advice, and thanks again to Allison for keeping my thread warm. I tried drinking a gallon of water a day to flush this stuff out to no avail. I felt like a water balloon about to burst yesterday. :eek: This was 10 times worse than any PMS bloat I have ever experienced. My weight was still up as of this morning, but I do not look or feel puffy and bloated anymore.

I packed up my scale, stored it in a closet, and started Cathe’s November rotation this morning. Yippee! This is my first Cathe rotation, and I am so excited! These workouts are a joy and delight to experience, and I want to have fun and enjoy the journey instead of stressing about my weight. :) I smiled the whole time I was dancing around my step during HIS this morning. :7 These workouts make me so happy! :7 Other than Cathe’s Friday morning step class and the Road Trip, I have not been this excited about my fitness journey in a long time. I cannot wait for morning to get here so I can have fun with Kickbox again!

My body usually needs plenty of intense cardio and circuit training to shed pounds, so I may not see a positive change on the scale with this rotation (which is why I packed it up). I am content with that now that I have adjusted to the initial shock of seeing the 10-pound gain on the scale. I decided to focus on developing strength and lean muscle mass for the next 7-8 weeks, and I will be perfectly content with maintaining my weight during the holidays (but I am hoping to shed inches and drop at least a size). If the scale reveals a lower number on New Year’s Eve, glory to God! If not, the pounds will melt away when I return to a cardio and circuit training rotation in January. My tried and true workouts will likely be more effective after taking a vacation from them. It is also possible that this 4-Day Split will surprise me. It is all good! :)

Since this series focuses on heavier weights and less cardio, I decided to modify my way of eating by increasing my protein and decreasing my starchy carbs slightly. The way I was eating was great for Cathe’s longer and more intense cardio and circuit workouts, but my body may need different fuel for these workouts. This way of training is radically different than anything I have tried before, so it makes sense that my nutrition needs to change with it.

I have faith that Cathe’s rotation as designed with all the stretching and rest days will result in strength and fitness gains. I am definitely planning to enjoy the double cardio premix on the optional cardio days just to get my cardio fix! I did the weights first premixes the first week and the premixes for a 3-day split last week. I decided to do the workouts as produced this month. I enjoyed HIS more this way. I prefer fasted cardio but need fuel before weight workouts. I did the warm-up and step segment this morning, took a quick break for part of a hemp protein smoothie, completed the weight segment and stretch, and enjoyed the rest of the smoothie after my workout. I had more energy for a better cardio workout this way and was surprised to discover that I was able to lift heavier weights because I was all filled up with warm fuzzies from the step workout! :) Yippee! Cardio first for me! :7

All this to say, I decided to toss the scale and keep the heavy weights. I love, love, love these workouts. Not to mention, the thought of hauling all those heavy weights down the stairs and back to Target made me cry! ;-) LOL! :7

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

RE: I Have Decided

Hello Heather,

I think you should try to ignore the scale and size charts etc. instead focus on how you are feeling within yourself. Not everybody who exercises regularly are a perfect size (whatever that is), but that does not mean they are not fit and healthy.

How do you feel about yourself? I know you are experiencing some bloating at the moment, but overall do you have more energy, sleep better, are you less stressed, feeling stronger and fitter? It should be about what's on the inside rather than what's on the outside and I think you are focusing on too much on external appearances.

I, for one, never use a scale. Instead I would like to know what my cholesterol level, blood pressure, resting heart rate etc. are all within the normal range. I got myself checked up last year and found that they are all normal, so even though I am not a size 0 or 1 I am fine. It would be nice to be slimmer, but we can't have everything.

If you feel well then that is a sign that you are doing something right.

Yen

Heather,

Glad you decided to toss the scale for awhile. I think it's a good idea to up the protein and reduce the starchy carbs. With heavier weight training, you need more protein. Do you eat 5 smaller meals during the day? I would try to be sure to have protein with every meal. This will keep you feeling full and give your body the protein it needs.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Marcy

Heather,

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! I'm so glad that you made the decision that you did. As others have already mentioned, that weight gain is ALL WATER - you did NOT gain 10 lbs of fat OR muscle in a single week. Just think of the increase in calories you'd had to have consumed to actually gain mass in some form or another.

I never used to weigh myself - seriously, maybe once a year out of curiosity. Recently I have started to weigh myself every day because I'm working with a coach, and it's helpful for him to see my weight fluxuate as a DIRECT RESULT of tough workouts. He KNOWS that my weight is going to increase after a particularly difficult workout, and he's paying attention to how long it takes to come back down. It's water retention, pure and simple.

That said, it's a shock to see my weight fluctuate SO much from day to day! I can't imagine the emotions I'd go through if I actually cared what the number was! I'd be a total wreck. So give it time - you know you are eating well and working out hard, so just give it time, and forget about the scale. For a LONG time, forget about the scale.

I like your attitude and the changes you are talking about - I think you are going to be VERY happy come the new year, and you are so right - your old favorites will be MORE effective because you've done some changing up of your routine! Then, when that starts to get stale, switch it up again!

I think this is a great idea, Heather!

Actually, I'm doing sort of the same thing--an 8 week rotation using 4DS and then in January, doing more of a cardio/fat loss/circuit thing.

Great minds think alike, huh?:7 :7 :7

Maggie:)

Thank you all for the insight. I admit I got on the scale after two weeks with the S&H series out of curiousity and was stunned to see that I, too, had gained "weight". I had no idea my muscles would hord water as they recovered. Good to know. But I agree with you... if I can get out of bed and move it with Cathe everyday, I don't care what the scale says!

Beth

In 1982 I started weight training. In 3 months I dropped a full dress size, and my weight did not change a bit. That sold me on weights.

Now at age 46, I am strong, fit and after 25 years of weight training, quite chiseled for a woman my age. I get a lot of comments, especially when I am at the pool swimming. Comments like, you have amazing muscle tone, what are you doing. So hit the heavy weights, because your body will thank you, in a year, in 10 years, in 20 years and so forth.

My motto has always been, if I cannot be a little miss petite person, at least the body does not flap in the wind because it is hard with muscle!(and we get lots of wind in Illinois!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.