thoughts on pilates?

bestican

Cathlete
I am looking to add to my dvd collection with winter approaching and moving my workouts indoors: any thoughts on pilates videos? good ones/any to stay away from? need to work on toning abs and love handles....:eek: thanks to all!

Hate them. I can't stand pilates videos. way too boring, but perhaps on sick days some moves could sub. for a more intense workout. They do have some great ab work moves.

For great abs and hips you need to have muscle and lower the bodyfat %.

I don't know many ab moves, but one of the best I've done is the Jack Knife, and of course, planks.

saddle bag attack- lateral moves like side lunges, speed skaters, squat + kick to the side
along with other leg moves-lunges, all forms of squats, kick backs, variations of bridges,
leg moves are endless really. but so long as you remember to work on the muscles that go side to side-lateral, along with the muscles that move forward and back ex:walking, running,cycling, you'll build muscle.

To lower the bodyfat % most of us need intense cardio too, what kind that is, is up to you.
If you're already at a great fitness level, then many people swear by plyo, hiit and tabata to really bring results for fat loss. jump squats are awesome to get the doms going. Love cathe's sts plyo workouts.

I suggest you look into cathe's rotations. body rockers rotation is really challenging, or even make your own.

I'm not a fan of Pilates. I dabbled with it during my early 20's, when it had just entered the fitness realm. I thought the popularity would have died by now, but it's still going strong :confused:. Anyway, I suppose it's good for an easy day, to give your body a break from weight training & cardio. Windsor Pilates was the only workout I could stand -- all the other's just irritated me. Personally, if you are interested in leg lifts/conditioning drills, I would recommend Turbo Barre (2 thumbs, A++ !!!). For core work and flexibility, I prefer Yoga 10X over Pilates. And remember, Pilates will not "magically" give you chiseled abs and slender thighs -- you have to eat clean and decrease your body fat % too.

Take care,

Natasha

Try some of the pilattes dvds on netflix, that way you can see if you like them. I have a disc from Kathy Smith that I like.

important as an add-on, not a workout

I disagree with many (kindof) there are so many pilates videos that are junk. I have found a few that are good. I do a lot of functional core and traditional core work too but when I really focus on pilates, my posture improves and my core is stronger throughout the day. I find it gives me the endurance to stand correctly even when I am tired. I also found that with a desk job, my body changed shape (belly pooch and back fat) and pilates helps correct this through proper alignment. it is an add-on thing not a complete workout.
I like the 10 minute Andrea lea rogers DVD, do the whole thing, it really is challenging! I also like Kristen McGee beginners video (Acacia) for excellant tips. Suzanne Bowen is also really good.:)

thanks for all your comments..I would never replace my cardio or weight work with pilates..just looking for something different to sub in when i am stuck in my basement on snow days! thanks everyone!

I think netflix is phasing out the few workout videos they have, at least on streaming. They don't even have a workouts sub-category to click on anymore. They are mixed in with all the other sports videos now. My library has an extensive collection of movies including workout videos. You could try out your library. See which ones you like, and you'll be prepared for when the blizzard comes. Many libraries are online now. You may even be able to put a hold on the dvd you want to rent online, or at least search through what's available.

I like Ellen Barrett (I prefer her Studio workouts over the ones she did with Crunch fitness, but still decent.). It isn't straight forward Pilates, more of a fusion type workout. I always feel great after.

I like Ellen Barrett (I prefer her Studio workouts over the ones she did with Crunch fitness, but still decent.). It isn't straight forward Pilates, more of a fusion type workout. I always feel great after.

I agree. I love Ellen--both her Studio and Crunch workouts. They have been a great addition to weights and cardio. I have definitely gained flexibility and enjoy total body movement. I think Fat Burning Fusion is my favorite but really enjoy all of them. I don't like doing straight pilates but do recommend fusion workouts.

I think netflix is phasing out the few workout videos they have, at least on streaming. . . . You could try out your library. See which ones you like, and you'll be prepared for when the blizzard comes.

I only have the DVD option on Netflix, streaming is not an option with my lousy internet service. My local library is very tiny and has poor DVD choices, I hope that the OP has better dvds available at her library.:) I wish mine was good.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.