The New Rules of Lifting for Women

I am waiting to receive this book from Amazon. Lots of Catheites already have this book. It's gotten good reviews so that's why I took the plunge myself! :)

Hope someone who has it can offer more insight!

I read it, it's been a few weeks though. There were parts that I liked a lot -- the nutrition section mainly, and parts that I disliked -- all the cardio-bashing. I don't have any intention of leaving Cathe, so I have not even read the section with the workouts. But the "rules" were all very interesting.

From what I've heard, it sounds very similar to the original "New Rules for Lifting" (for men). I read that and really liked it, primarily the form pointers for the various exercises. The author seems very knowledgeable, and let me tell you, he was entertaining... reading a book targeted for men, especially. ;) I don't remember a lot of cardio bashing, but he did say that a lot wasn't necessary. But he also emphasized that the important thing was to find a type of exercise you like and do it. So, I like cardio. I do it. :p

I have this book. the authors know their stuff they are highly regarded in the world of fitness. I can't wait to start the NWOL4w rotation. I will post my results!!

I just started my first week w/NRL4W. I'll report back after Stage 1 is complete. So far though I'm loving it! Kathy:D

PS: If your thinking of doing it, you'll need to determine beforehand what your 1RM is for all the different exercises for each Stage. You can do that by going to exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html.

I bought it too. It is sensible and empowering for those who want to and like to lift. Makes sense also.

However, I question the validity of advising people against cardio or saying that we don't need much of it at all. The author presumes that we are all exercising purely for aesthetic reasons and that cardio would be detrimental to our program of building muscles.

Research is research and I think it's highly credible. However, it cannot take the place of each individual experimenting and finding out what suits her own body and mind best. According to the author, weights alone are enough to really raise up my metabolism and shed the fat. However, I am finding this to not be true. I need my 3 cardios a week, they do something for my system that weights alone cannot. With weights alone I feel chunkier and more sluggish. The minute I factor running intervals and powerwalking back into my program I instantly feel better. My metabolism is improved for doing cardio with my solid, heavy weight program. I feel better, I feel more sleek and more energetic. I am also happier mentally and emotionally.

I also think it is dangerous for any program to advise us against cardio. Weights help with lowering cholesterol levels and preventing heart disease, but the cardiovascular system needs working out too.

So, I take the advice with a pinch of salt. I learn from it what seems sensible. I am lifting as much like a man as I can to be a goddess. But I am not stopping cardio, nor am I limiting it to "interval" only type. Sometimes I just need to hop on a treadmill and only stop it 6 miles later.

And no, I am not limiting the weight training exercises I do to only the ones featured in the book. I need more than that, even if only mentally.

Clare

I love this book and way of working out. After years of doing videos, alternating w/ the gym, feeling wrung out for days after a hard work out, I'm enjoying it. 3 days of lifting, 4 days of HIIT, 30 min. sessions. I have zero dread factor so far. (in week 5).

That said, I know I'll get to a point where I'll pick up my DVDs again. At 48, and someone who's on her feet for 12 hrs for my job as a nurse, I really need something time efficient and that doesn't fry me physically and mentally. What's been happening to me the past few years is that I can lift as heavy etc as always, but it takes me an extra day to recover. So I'm just trying to be prudent and listen to my body.

I don't perceive any cardio bashing, but that's me. Pretty thick skinned. An interesting take on it is this article by Alwyn Cosgrove
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539. If you can get by the ads, the barely dressed models, etc. the information is reasonable. In this article, he says all cardio is fine, HIIT is the most effective at fat loss (my goal). If your time is limited, that's where your cardio minutes should be invested. If you have extra time beyond HIIT, by all means steady state is a way to burn more calories.
HTH
Valerie

Nice post Valerie. Very sensible. You have found something that works for you and are taking advantage of that. Good for you. That's really what it is all about! Also, thanks for the link. I read it with interest.

Clare

Thank you ladies for your comments. I truly appreciate the thought that went behind them all.

I bought the book today. I've glanced through it and it excites me simply because I love to read and I love to lift and I look forward to taking what I need from this book and using it to my advantage.

Thanks again!

Travis

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.