Terrible DOMS

Dawncharlie

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and everyone!

After two children almost back-to-back, I'm working hard to get back in shape. I used to be able to do STS and Gym Styles and other workouts without too much soreness afterwards, but I did Gym Styles recently--just the upper body--and felt completely incapacitated. I could barely lift my 6 month old, and the soreness lasted for almost 3 days.

I was surprised because I did high reps last week, and I have also been doing circuit workouts and the low impact series, so for Gym Styles to hurt me so much was surprising.

My question is now that the soreness has ended, should I try Gym Styles again? And should I maybe just do one upper body part at a time with a day in between? I want to build those muscles up so this doesn't happen again. I have literally ALL of Cathe's workouts, so another option is to put Gym Styles aside and try another weight workout (I know I'm not quite ready for the time commitment of STS though).

Any thoughts on what's next after terrible DOMS?

Thanks! Dawn

Wow, that's sooooo weird, because I had this exact experience last week. It was my first time doing GS chest and triceps after 4 months and, like you, I'd been doing High Reps to get up to the point I thought I could do GS. I was plenty weak immediately after the workout, but was shocked when I was still so weak the next morning...I could barely lift my arms to wash my hair...there was some soreness, but it was the weakness that was so weird. I'd never experienced it when doing GS CT in the past.

Well, I didn't have the same xeperience with GS Legs or back,shoulders, biceps, although I was plenty sore, so I tried GS CT again exactly one week later. I'm so glad I did, because I had almost no DOMS and no lasting weakness.

Your experience might be different from mine, but when (not if!) you try it again, I hope things go better.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.