Tendonitis/Tennis Elbow/Shoulder pain oh my!!!!

wonderwoman

Cathlete
So I just turned 41 and over a period of about 6 months have had all of the above!! I'm not sure what's going on but I am not liking it at all. I thought we were suppose to become better with age so I'm totally confused!!!!
I think I may have to give up lifting heavy weights for a while. Every time I do it my right elbow starts to bother me. When I was done with my heavy upper body WO my elbow hurt I had to ice it and then I used those icey hot patches and it felt better. Fast forward 3 days later and it doesn't bother me and usually doesn't doing just every day things. Only when I lift the weights. What's funny is that it doesn't bother me when I do body weight excercises like push-up or planks. Has this happen to any of you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just turned 41 and over a period of about 6 months have had all of the above!! I'm not sure what's going on but I am not liking it at all. I thought we were suppose to become better with age so I'm totally confused!!!!
I think I may have to give up lifting heavy weights for a while. Every time I do it my right elbow starts to bother me. When I was done with my heavy upper body WO my elbow hurt I had to ice it and then I used those icey hot patches and it felt better. Fast forward 3 days later and it doesn't bother me and usually doesn't doing just every day things. Only when I lift the weights. What's funny is that it doesn't bother me when I do body weight excercises like push-up or planks. Has this happen to any of you?

Unfortunately yes, I have had tendonitis in my right elbow for years. Every once in awhile it will rear it's ugly head. Wearing one of those stretchy braces helps. But, you are right, only flairs up when I lift heavy.

Last edited:
Wow this really $ucks!!! LOL Maybe I'll buy one of those stretchy braces too!
Coincidently after almost 6-7 years of doing cathe exclusively I was beginning to burn out so was slowly trying to move away from the intensity and her weight workouts but I was having such a hard time because I was so used to her. Sometimes old habits are hard to break not necessarily bad habits. I still love cathe but have ventured out. I'm finding that I'm really digging these body weight workouts and barre. I did/have PiYo and loved it. I also purchased a bunch of new DVDs. A few P57's and Suzanne Bowens BarreAmped and am really loving them. I even bought the Zumba incredible results kit with the Rizer and am have a ton of fun. Anyway enough of the rambling.....Well like they say when one door closes another one opens.

Wow just read the other reply you wrote on a similar discussion. Your a firefighter? That's great!!! Good for you. I'm a police officer. How funny is that?

Wow just read the other reply you wrote on a similar discussion. Your a firefighter? That's great!!! Good for you. I'm a police officer. How funny is that?

Retired firefighter now. What a great job though.Good for you!! Police Officer, kick some butt, girl! I'm adding more barre and body weight workouts into my rotations, as well. Love those workouts.

As an aside, feeling major girl power from the firefighter and police officer in the house. You ladies are rockstars!

I have elbow tendinitis that flares up when I lift heavy as well, but mainly when I'm lifting heavy via a barbell. I find that switching to dumbbells allows my elbows more freedom of motion and movement. I also have a Zensah elbow compression sleeve for added support during the workout and for recovery.

Lisa

I think we all have to be careful, particularly after years of weight-training, to make sure we don't have tendonosis. Tendonosis is long-term is nature; tendonitis is strictly short-term. If the area isn't completely healed after about fourteen days of complete rest, tendonosis is more likely (especially if you've been dealing with this issue time and time again in the same area of the body), and it requires a different strategy to get better. Or at the very least, not to get worse. Going off of what I've read from sports medicine doctors, I think nearly every weight-lifter experiences tendonitis somewhere in the body at some point in time, assuming they lift for enough for time and with enough weight. It's easy almost to look at things like this as a personal weakness or something ("What did I do wrong? Why is my body aging this way? What should I do differently?", when in fact it's almost more like an occupational hazard. :) I'm not saying to anyone, "don't lift!" I'm just saying that these issues are extremely common, not unusual, and I believe they are a strong reason why athletes and exercisers must periodize their training priorities throughout their life. I just think we have to be flexible. Like you said about giving up lifting heavy weights for awhile, we have to be willing to try new activities and lay off the old ones. I would love to know Cathe's thoughts on this, especially from her personal experience...

I remember Tracie Long (who I think is in her late 40's now) said she had to change her training style in recent times. I presumed when I read it that she was referring to changing her style for her own aesthetic purposes, but maybe she was also referring to injury prevention or treatment? She didn't elaborate, so I'm not certain what she meant. I know years ago she was into lots of weight-training, power yoga, running, spinning and of course, aerobics. Now her training style seems to have evolved a great deal, although I find nothing wrong with the newer workouts she has put out. And she looked great!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back