Tempeh

lbeach

Cathlete
Hello All!

I was wondering if anyone has a good Tempeh recipe that I could get a meat-loving man to eat and like? I've already gotten him eating soy bacon and veggie burgers, but i would love some tips onthe Tempeh!

Thanks!
LB
:+

Slice it about 1/4" thick, steam it, then make your favorite chicken salad recipe using the steamed tempeh instead of chicken. It is good in a pita or on open-faced sandwiches with lettuce, pickles, whatever you like.

Hello LB,
This one is pretty long but has a good flavor (and I've gotten my non-soy loving DH to eat and like it! hee hee!)

Barbecued Tempeh and Peppers

2-3T vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 lb. tempeh (1 pkg.), cubed
1 T ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. ground fennel
1-2 tsp. tabasco or other hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
optional: salt to taste
4 pita breads
fresh lettuce leaves

mix these ingredients together separately in bowl:
1 T soy sauce
3 T tomato paste
1 T molasses or brown sugar
2/3 cup water

Heat 2T of the oil in skillet and saute chopped onions for 3-4 min. until they begin to soften. Add garlic and pepper. Cook another 5 min., stirring often. Add tempeh and saute about another 5 min. until it begins to brown. If necessary, add more oil to prevent sticking. Add coriander and fennel and stir constantly for 1 min. Pour on the sauce mixture and simmer for about 5 min. until the sauce thickens. Add tabasco and salt to taste. Serve in warmed pita pockets stuffed with lettuce leaves.

Cathy

:) :) :)

Slice it thin and fry it with a little bit of oil and a lot of soy sauce and garlic. You can then put it with just about anything (rice, over salad, etc.)

Or dice it and put it in a crock pot with a small diced onion and a can of Manwich or a bottle of barbeque sauce. Let it cook on low for several hours and you have a great sandwich filler.

The Tempeh Cookbook by Dorothy Bates has lots of incredible recipes!

>Slice it about 1/4" thick, steam it, then make your favorite
>chicken salad recipe using the steamed tempeh instead of
>chicken. It is good in a pita or on open-faced sandwiches with
>lettuce, pickles, whatever you like.

To add to this: you can also keep it whole, steam it (for 20 minutes), then grate it and add whatever fixings you like (I like soy mayo, celery, scallions and, sometimes, capers).

I second the Thank you!!! I have yet to try Tempeh but with all these great ideas....what am I waiting for...:)...Carole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.