Tell me about Metabolic Training

I get the concept .. I think. Isn't it like the old-school FIRM? Using light weights to increase heart rate, and thus caloric output both during and post exercise?

So then ... how do you use them? I find myself overwhelmed with all the options for various workouts and find myself in a paralysis situation ... heavy weight? Circuits? Metabolic Training? HiiT? Tabatas?

Ugh. I think that is one reason I tend to waver to systems .. I just do what they tell me. But I get 'bored' after 90 days and need a change.

Thanks!

Sp pick a shorter rotation, say just one month long, follow it, and then pick another with a different focus. This way you'll keep changing it up which is good for your mind and your body and you'll experience a wide range of training styles to see what suits you best and also avoid plateaus, you'll keep gaining heath and fitness benefits.

there's no magic bullet. Something will work for everyone and it's trial and error to fins what you like and what gets you the best results, and they are not necessarily the same thing!

Cathe has a multitude of rotations on these forums for you to choose from. Pick one today and get cracking!

Clare

I've been doing a metabolic workout paired with 1-2 upper body segments in one workout. The next day I'll do either pure cardio, or another metabolic workout with abs and just keep alternating like this. I do break it up when i feel the need and throw a total body strength workout in the mix. I have no set rotation as some metabolic workouts cause DOMS in different places so I'll use that as my guide as to what I do the next day. It's been working well so far, I'm seeing some great new definition in my triceps that I've never seen before and I've only done a separate triceps workout once in a few weeks (did the tricep section from Burn Sets)

I echo what Clare said about us all being different and having different goals, so what works for me might not work for you. Plus, I go through phases with my own workout preferences, so who knows how I'll feel about this 6 months from now. :p

When Cathe came out with CF and TTM, I followed the accompanying rotation (IIRC it was July 2012). Well, I should say I started to do that rotation. After 2 weeks I felt burned out because it was too much metabolic training in one week for me. I just did not enjoy or feel good doing metablic training 3x/week.

Don't get me wrong. I adore CF and TTM and metabolic workouts generally, but once a week is typically my limit (I workout 5-6 days/week). That same week I might also do a HiiT or a Tabata workout on a cardio day, but then the other cardio day (if I do it) would be a steady state cardio or yoga, and weight training would be one heavy upper body day and one heavy lower body day for the week, [ora total body weight day. Something else I have done is a 3 day split (like STS), and then for cardio do a metabolic workout one day and a steady state another day, and then a yoga or stretching or core day.

Cathe's Feb 2013 rotation included CF, TTM, and XTrain in a pattern similar to this and was a much better fit for me.

I wouldn't say Cathe's metabolic training is like old school Firm. The old firm workouts move much slower than Cathe's workouts.

Check out those rotations listed above and see how Cathe incorported them into the rotations. Each week was different.

HTH

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.