Supersets?

aginj

I am new to working out with weights and was wondering if Cathe's workouts (Muscle Max, gym style) would be considered Supersets?
I have also searched but not found a generic workout schedule that could be applied to the Cathe DVD's that I have. To avoid over working a muscle group is it best to only work them twice a week? If so, should I split my workouts into upper body one day, lower body the next, cardio the third day, off the fourth and then start the rotation all over again?
A little about me, I am a long time weekend bicycle rider that is trying to get into shape (tone up) in her 50's. My passion for riding has kept the weight off but I need to tone and strengthen muscle.
Thank you :D

I am new to working out with weights and was wondering if Cathe's workouts (Muscle Max, gym style) would be considered Supersets?
I have also searched but not found a generic workout schedule that could be applied to the Cathe DVD's that I have. To avoid over working a muscle group is it best to only work them twice a week? If so, should I split my workouts into upper body one day, lower body the next, cardio the third day, off the fourth and then start the rotation all over again?
A little about me, I am a long time weekend bicycle rider that is trying to get into shape (tone up) in her 50's. My passion for riding has kept the weight off but I need to tone and strengthen muscle.
Thank you :D

Yes, because a superset is when you do two exercises back to back with little to no rest in between.

Whether it is supersets, interval training, drop sets, pyramids, tri-set or slow and heavy - any weight resistance program that you follow, and increase the weight your are lifting as you adapt, you will gain muscle endurance, muscle mass, and muscle strength.

What Cathe dvds do you presently own or are considering for purchase?

I cannot say enough good things about STS, and it comes with a rotation ready made for you, all you have to do is get yourself sorted out at the workout manager....
http://cathe.com/forum/f104/using-workout-manager-sts-learn-how-280604/

http://cathe.com/forum/f104/1rm-test-so-easy-caveman-can-do-256297/

Jump on in, the water's fine. :D

If you are not ready to bite the bullet on STS just yet Gym Styles is the perfect place to start.

Look at Janie's success story for inspiration too - Cathe Friedrich - A Dream Of A 61 Year Old Woman by Jane McBride

:D

Oops!

I forgot to answer the middle part of your question - splits.

There are many variations on how to accomplish split workouts. With Gym Styles, for example, you could do something like this:

M-Gym Styles - Shoulder, chest, Tri
T- Gym Styles - Legs
W -Gym Styles - Back & Biceps
Th-Cardio
Fri - Muscle Max
Sat- Cardio
Sun - off day

or you could do:

M- Gym Styles - shoulder, chest, triceps
T - Cardio
W - Gym Styles - legs
Th - cardio
Fr- Gym styles - back, biceps
Sat - Cardio
Sun - off

or you could do something like this:

M - Gym styles - shoulder, chest, triceps
T - Gym styles - legs
W- Cardio
Th - Gym styles - back, biceps
Fr - Gym Styles - legs
Sat - Muscle Max
Sun - off

STS Meso 2 is structured in such a way that you could do a 3, 4, 5 or 6 day split...working each muscle group individually...

So that could look like this:
Mon - STS M2 - Shoulders + Cardio
Tue - STS M2 - Chest +Core
Wed- STS M2 -Triceps + Cardio
Thurs - STS legs + Core
Fri- STS M2 -Biceps + Cardio
Sat - STS M2-Back + Core
Sun - off

Or do just as you said:
Upper
Lower
Cardio
Upper
Lower
Cardio

Just make certain you hit all the muscle groups, comprehensively, at least once a week, and challenge your muscles by increasing the weight load gradually over time.

:D
I sincerely hope this helps you in your journey.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.