Suggestions for a quick easy Christmas tree?

shanihib

Cathlete
I know this sounds weird, but I need to figure out a quick and easy way to decorate the house for Christmas. Normally we have a 9' artificial tree with lots of ornaments and a nativity scene, garlands etc... LOTS of decorations throughout the house. Well, 2 weeks ago my husband fell off a ladder while pruning a tree and broke his heel. Now I'm caring for him (post surgery), assuming all that he did around the house (which is a ton), carting my daughter around to her appts (lots), and working 50+ hours per week (and should be working more). So.... any ideas on how to make this work? I can't imagine not decorating, but I also can't put up our tree without help (too heavy and awkward and he's begged me not to get up on a ladder holding the top of the tree LOL), or of getting a real tree and dealign with cutting off the base, putting it in the stand alone and then watering it every day... plus dealing with our dogs and cats trying to eat it.

I'm kind of overwhelmed, and if it weren't for my 14 year old, I'd go treeless. I know...

Ideas?

Do you have any friends who can help out? They may be able to help you with the tree. I think if you only put up your traditional tree, you will feel better. If you don't have anyone who can help, is there a home depot or something nearby where you can hire someone for a few hours to help you? Or maybe post at the local high school for some young guys who are looking to earn a few bucks for Christmas to help. They could also help you decorate the tree, and I'm sure, in these times, they would be thrilled for the work - and with your DH around, it would be very safe.

Or you could use this as a nice lesson to your 14 yo - that Christmas is more about what's inside your heart than what you see. Even treeless, Christmas morning could be very special (plan a special breakfast - hide the presents and leave little clues around the house ...). As long as you're together as a family, that's what is important.

Last edited:
We usually get a real tree but I've always wanted a small tree for my TV room. I bought a little 4 ft. tree, strung it with one string of the lights I used on my big live tree last year and bought new ornaments and if that isn't the prettiest little tree. It just makes me so happy when I look at it. I set candles on a mirror in front of it and it just glows. It is sitting up on a table and I have a gold Christmas table cloth covering the table. Maybe you and your daugher could have a day out together, buying the little tree, getting some ornaments and decorating it together. Let her plan the theme. That may be more work than you wanted though but if you guys went earlier in the day you can beat the crowd and top your outing off with a Starbucks or something. 'HTH. I'm sorry about your hubby.

we have a pre=lit artificial tree. just slapped some green and red bows and some of our special keepsake ornaments and wallah! we don't go over the top with the tree b/c its something viola likes to do now so i keep it basic for her.

and dollar general(i am sure big lots too) have little 4 ft fiber optic trees. some pre decorated. as they spin the end light up. or just a pre lit tree.

kassia

Why not give your 14 yr old the task? She's old enough.

Another suggestion....my Aunt goes to the department store and buys one of the model trees (on the floor that have lights and decorations, etc.) every year just a few days prior to christmas. They throw big bags over it for her and pack it away. One less thing for them to take down after christmas and one less thing for her to do!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.