STS 2.0 Foam Rolling - Love it!

There are lots of foam rolling workouts on YouTube. Jess P Fit has a Foam Roller Mobility and Recovery Stretching Flow that I've done a few times and it's pretty good. Sydney Cummings has quite a few different ones too and the ones I've done have been pretty good. Recently I've been doing some Tom Peto Training foam rolling workouts, but he also rolls his lower back which I was told you should never do. Unlike other parts of your body, you don't have surrounding bone structures in your lower back to help spread the load and you are rolling over your internal organs. He does say if you have disc issues to skip the lower back rolling. I either spend extra time on my glutes or upper back. April Plank also has a couple of Strength and Stretch Foam Roller workouts, but I haven't done these yet.

While I haven't done the STS 2.0 Foam Rolling workouts, foam rolling has been a staple in my workout since 2012 when I went to Airrosti physical therapy for a neck/upper back/shoulder problem. I'm very thankful that I was able to afford to go to those sessions because I got so much valuable takeaway that I've used from time to time to treat flare-ups, post workout soreness and treating my calf injury 2 weeks ago. I credit foam rolling and the week of P.volve for helping to heal the injury, although I believe it was a very minor muscle strain and therefore healed up very quickly.

This morning was my second STS 2.0 workout since rehabbing with P.volve last week. Monday was Super Sets, today was Tri Sets and Friday will be Giant Sets. I'm looking forward to tomorrow because I'll be doing Yoga Relax from the Low Impact Series. I'm very excited to see how a recovery day or two enhances my program. Saturday's cardio is to be determined. I really enjoyed the week of P.volve and won't rule out doing another week of a different series. I liked the way the ankle weights, ankle bands and gliders really made me feel like I was doing more butt and hip detail work because that was where the emphasis was. It was a tough decision to resume STS 2.0 because the P.volve was so enjoyable because while it was intense and I worked hard, I didn't feel totally spent after the workout. And Luca was very happy too because shorter workouts for me = longer walk for her!

I can see Luca giving a “thumbs up” right now!!!

when I tell Jack, I am going to do some exercise…he just looks at me, like “Really?” :)
Jack sounds like a sweetie! What breed is he?

Luca loves going for walks, in fact, she will barely sit still so I can put on her collar. She also loves going places in the car. Because my neighborhood is mainly townhouses and patio homes in gated complexes with minimal yards, there's a lot of dog traffic. Luca loves getting to see her buddies - Beckett and Cooper the yellow lab brothers, Happy and Bella the Bichons, Monty the cute little rescue, Waffle, the giant St Bernard and Wally and Gertrude the other yellow labs!

Jack is a little chihuahua that I rescued from SPCA when he was 10 yrs old. He’s 12,
going on 13 now. I think he had a rough life before :(, I don’t think he ever knew love.
He’s got a “girlfriend“ too :), a big collie up the street, Skye, (she looks just like Lassie)
but he just barks & barks at her. And behind the fence, she just sits there & looks at him
silently saying, please shut up :)…. I had another chihuahua that I got from SPCA when
he was 5, CoCo, and he lived to be 19 yrs, so I had him 14 years. When I lost him, my
heart was broken, and to be honest, never fully healed….

There are lots of foam rolling workouts on YouTube. Jess P Fit has a Foam Roller Mobility and Recovery Stretching Flow that I've done a few times and it's pretty good. Sydney Cummings has quite a few different ones too and the ones I've done have been pretty good. Recently I've been doing some Tom Peto Training foam rolling workouts, but he also rolls his lower back which I was told you should never do. Unlike other parts of your body, you don't have surrounding bone structures in your lower back to help spread the load and you are rolling over your internal organs. He does say if you have disc issues to skip the lower back rolling. I either spend extra time on my glutes or upper back. April Plank also has a couple of Strength and Stretch Foam Roller workouts, but I haven't done these yet.
I don't know how I missed this post in June .... but thanks for the ideas! I recently hooked a Roku up to the TV in the workout area so we can stream in there now!

Jack is a little chihuahua that I rescued from SPCA when he was 10 yrs old. He’s 12,
going on 13 now. I think he had a rough life before :(, I don’t think he ever knew love.
He’s got a “girlfriend“ too :), a big collie up the street, Skye, (she looks just like Lassie)
but he just barks & barks at her. And behind the fence, she just sits there & looks at him
silently saying, please shut up :)…. I had another chihuahua that I got from SPCA when
he was 5, CoCo, and he lived to be 19 yrs, so I had him 14 years. When I lost him, my
I have a chiweenie, Macy, who we've had for about 18 months. I've never had a small breed dog but this little girl stole my heart! She is the sweetest. When I start a workout, she loves the warm up and nips at my feet thinking we are playing. When I start with the weights, she goes and naps. Always seems to come back when I'm starting my stretch and gets on my chest and stomach. Love that little lady!

I have a chiweenie, Macy, who we've had for about 18 months. I've never had a small breed dog but this little girl stole my heart! She is the sweetest. When I start a workout, she loves the warm up and nips at my feet thinking we are playing. When I start with the weights, she goes and naps. Always seems to come back when I'm starting my stretch and gets on my chest and stomach. Love that little lady!
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww! I love it! That is so sweet!

Jack sounds like a sweetie! You've given him love and a good home. I always say that rescue is my favorite breed. And he has a girlfriend too! I love it! When my husband and I met, he had a black lab named Halle and she became my world. The day we lost her it was one of the hardest days of my life. I cried for over a week, my eyes were so swollen I couldn't even wear make up. I remember I was doing Les Mills Combat at the time and I couldn't even hear some of the cool down music without crying because it reminded me of Halle.

That is amazing that Coco lived to be 19 and you had 14 wonderful years with her. Dogs make the world a better place.

I have 2 dogs. One is a chocolate lab and the little one is probably a Chihuahua Pomeranian mix. Both were from shelters. We'd always had big dogs, so the little one was a change for us. Both dogs "supervise" the physical therapy that we do with our son, with the little one walking under my son's legs when the legs are raised, sitting on his legs to keep him from raising them, laying in the crook of my son's legs (when my son is on his side with bent legs) and resting his little doggy head on my son's knee so that my son can't open his legs to do a clam, curling up in a ball in my son's lap when I'm trying to help him do a butterfly stretch, etc. When I do yoga, my little dog gets on my mat and does a better downward dog than I do! He's such a show-off. I have to put my lab outside or in her kennel when I'm doing kick-boxing, because she barks. I think she's trying to protect me from the invisible person that it must look like I'm fighting. lol

my Dog is 17 on Saturday, and slowing down. He is now blind and deaf but has adjusted and is very much still himself. he was a wonderful hiker, went on a 10 K hike up to a mountain lake when he was 14. Now it’s too much for him, especially in summer heat, so he stays behind in the AC.
I started foam rolling in earnest late fall last year, while doing STS. It really made a difference in recovery. I mostly use my interval timer on my phone for foam rolling now, set up for 2 minutes per muscle and 5 second rests. It allows me to focus on areas that really want extra time. Typically that means quads and back. I love Cathe’s routines. She covers a lot. like she says, you need to listen to what your body needs on any given day. Some days I hold two or three sensitive spots, other days, maybe one. So using my timer lets me make those adjustments.

my Dog is 17 on Saturday, and slowing down. He is now blind and deaf but has adjusted and is very much still himself. he was a wonderful hiker, went on a 10 K hike up to a mountain lake when he was 14. Now it’s too much for him, especially in summer heat, so he stays behind in the AC.
oh, bless his heart….what breed is your dog? Yes, the summer heat is tough on them,
especially when they want to go for a long walk, but’s it’s just too hot…mine is black,
(and some grey now) and he gets hot very quickly.

I have 2 dogs. One is a chocolate lab and the little one is probably a Chihuahua Pomeranian mix. Both were from shelters. We'd always had big dogs, so the little one was a change for us. Both dogs "supervise" the physical therapy that we do with our son, with the little one walking under my son's legs when the legs are raised, sitting on his legs to keep him from raising them, laying in the crook of my son's legs (when my son is on his side with bent legs) and resting his little doggy head on my son's knee so that my son can't open his legs to do a clam, curling up in a ball in my son's lap when I'm trying to help him do a butterfly stretch, etc. When I do yoga, my little dog gets on my mat and does a better downward dog than I do! He's such a show-off. I have to put my lab outside or in her kennel when I'm doing kick-boxing, because she barks. I think she's trying to protect me from the invisible person that it must look like I'm fighting. lol
How sweeet!!!

I love how our fur babies even join in when we're working out! This morning I did Yoga Relax and loved it! It was very hard to make myself slow down and do a workout that didn't feel like a workout, but I had to remind myself, OK, when your calf recovered you said you were gonna do recovery workouts in between STS2.0, so now's the time to start. I really liked Yoga Relax - the music was great, it reminded me of what they play when you're at a spa getting a massage, Cathe's cueing was great and very calming and it wasn't like you had to be super flexible to do it. The only thing was it was so relaxing, I was like, maybe I should've done this before bedtime! I'm definitely looking forward to doing Yoga Max at soon.

And yes, Luca joined me part of the way though Yoga Relax this morning. She laid down right by my mat and when I was on my back doing one of the moves, I could see her paws in the air which meant she was on her back trying to find a comfy position. She ended up staying by me the whole rest of the time. And sometimes if I'm doing weights, when she hears me move a step or mat, she thinks that's her cue to join me. That's when she'll just lay in my doorway. I have to vacuum my room everyday because at night I bring her bed in my room so we can have slumber party. One of the funniest things she does is she "sploots", that means she lays on the floor and has her front legs out and hind legs out too with her paw pads facing the ceiling. Corgis are known for it, but the first time I saw Luca lay like that I was like OMG, what is she doing? Supposedly, its a way to stretch the hips. But its hilarious to watch her get in that position. Its like her hind legs come from under her body and just pop out flat.

Yay! I got my Cathe package today - I got my step mini mat and my husband got his extra heavy resistance tubing so it came just in time because tomorrow is Giant Sets and I'm going to try the hip thrusts with the mini mat and a dumbbell so I don't have to drag out my barbell for one exercise. Plus, its all about variety!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.